Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The Perfect Element posted:

The micro USB port on my s7 is hosed (cables just fall out if I don't position the phone and cable to within a millionth of a millimetre of the right position , as the port I think has been eroded after years of sleepily trying to plug the jack in the wrong way. Micro USB sucks so much) . I've owned this phone for like... 6 years now, and other than the charging it still works perfectly.

I really don't wanna upgrade, because it seems so wasteful when this phone does literally everything I need it to. Other than recharge.

Does the thread hive mind have any suggestions about what I could do? It doesn't seem like an easy fix.

It’s a £20 fix if you go to the Indian lads on the market/your local equivalent run by Indian lads.

Silver surfers at my group ham slam the charger into the port and need a new one every 6 months, while blaming me and hinting I should pay for it because I recommended they get a smart phone while ignoring the fact that they did the same thing to their Nokia’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

It’s a £20 fix if you go to the Indian lads on the market/your local equivalent run by Indian lads.

Silver surfers at my group ham slam the charger into the port and need a new one every 6 months, while blaming me and hinting I should pay for it because I recommended they get a smart phone while ignoring the fact that they did the same thing to their Nokia’s.

Took me a minute pondering what a "group ham slam" was and where I could sign up

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The micro USB port on my s7 is hosed (cables just fall out if I don't position the phone and cable to within a millionth of a millimetre of the right position , as the port I think has been eroded after years of sleepily trying to plug the jack in the wrong way. Micro USB sucks so much) . I've owned this phone for like... 6 years now, and other than the charging it still works perfectly.

I really don't wanna upgrade, because it seems so wasteful when this phone does literally everything I need it to. Other than recharge.

Does the thread hive mind have any suggestions about what I could do? It doesn't seem like an easy fix.

My DAB Radio Alarm Clock stopped working when they switched off the DAB frequency in Ireland this March. (The clock relied on getting a DAB station to set the time. It still worked perfectly as an FM radio, you just couldn't set the time.)

So I got this new Radio Alarm Clock. But I mostly just use it as a Wireless Charge pad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NGZ5K12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_YR9M18EDFK177KCBMS27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See personally I'd like to see a return to the pre-WWI Municipal style, which is definitely one of those styles that's hard to describe but really easy to spot. The Poplar Town Hall before last* is a great example:

This is a nice building.

This is a space battleship that used to be a pool hall/vape store that used to be a discount carpet warehouse that used to be a telephone exchange.

OwlFancier posted:

Clearly the best solution is everything needs to be built in queen anne revival. Everyone lives in a loving gingerbread house.
The Leicester town hall aesthetic.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Since we can do basically any style now that our materials are so good, I've spun the wheel, and the UK will be rebuilt in the style of...gothic revival. Since we're already getting all the shite parts of living in Warhammer 40k, we might as well nail the aesthetic too.

Azza Bamboo posted:

IMO we should start tunnelling and shun sunlight altogether. Also means we don't have to worry about exterior design at all.
If there's going to be flying Palaces of Westminster and Trinity Colleges and other twee Carcassonne Christopher Wren bullshit all over the place then I'm definitely living in the Underhive so I don't have to look at it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think if I was on a council taking proposals for public projects I'd include in the brief to architects a requirement that proposals include an image which depicts how the building will look after not being cleaned for 30 years.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
What's the deal with the UK and weirdly infantilising language? "Have your say", but also weirdly cutesy euphemism terms like "tory" or "nonce".
Germany is probably just as bad, but I notice it here 'cos I'm an immigrant and didn't grow up with this as normal, and it's just... weird. Like a whole nation of Adult Boris Dialogue Lovers.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Stone building look better the dirtier they get. It’s the recently cleaned ones that look Wrong

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lunar Suite posted:

What's the deal with the UK and weirdly infantilising language? "Have your say", but also weirdly cutesy euphemism terms like "tory" or "nonce".
Germany is probably just as bad, but I notice it here 'cos I'm an immigrant and didn't grow up with this as normal, and it's just... weird. Like a whole nation of Adult Boris Dialogue Lovers.
"Tory" isn't a cutesy euphemism, it's from an old Irish word for "thief" (first used derogatively but then became the name of the Tory party, the precursor to the Conservatives (e: & now used derogatively again)).

"Nonce" doesn't sound cutesy either imo, like it very definitely sounds offensive in a way that "paedo" just doesn't (e.g. "you loving nonce oval office" is way more emphatic than "you loving paedo", you can barely even coherently string the c-word after that one). I guess it sounds kind of faintly ridiculous, but lots of our insults do ("twat", "wanker") - imo that makes them more effective for ridiculing the person you're talking about.

Words sound different to different cultures I guess is the moral here.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 22, 2021

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Lunar Suite posted:

Germany is probably just as bad, but I notice it here 'cos I'm an immigrant and didn't grow up with this as normal, and it's just... weird.
I don't know, why don't you pick up your handy, connect to the wiffy and check?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

"Tory" isn't a cutesy euphemism, it's from an old Irish word for "thief" (first used derogatively but then became the name of the Tory party, the precursor to the Conservatives (e: & now used derogatively again)).

"Nonce" doesn't sound cutesy either imo, like it very definitely sounds offensive in a way that "paedo" just doesn't (e.g. "you loving nonce oval office" is way more emphatic than "you loving paedo", you can barely even coherently string the c-word after that one). I guess it sounds kind of faintly ridiculous, but lots of our insults do ("twat", "wanker") - imo that makes them more effective for ridiculing the person you're talking about.

My sisters have both recently given birth, and have somehow idependently arrived at the idea that "noncey" means "grouchy", and so will hapily describe their babies as "feeling noncey", and the mid-afternoon post-nap pre-feeding crying time as "the noncing hour"

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Borrovan posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wouldn't mind knowing whether it's true that "nonce" was a prison note meaning "not on normal courtyard exercise" used to show that paedos were separated from GP, or if it's just a backronym.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't mind knowing whether it's true that "nonce" was a prison note meaning "not on normal courtyard exercise" used to show that paedos were separated from GP, or if it's just a backronym.
The second one

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"the noncing hour"
lmao

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's always just a backronym

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

God loving drat we need to find out where all the phylacteries are being kept

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If I have a gripe about a lot of UK architecture it's that everything is made of bricks and it looks manky after a while. Like it can look nice but when you have to live with it all the time I find it a bit depressing. For public spaces I definitely prefer clean white concrete.

I also absolutely hate palladianism, georgianism, and neoclassicism specifically. Get that manky roman shite away from me. You got a column? Better be loving square or made of iron mate. You using lots of the fuckers? In the bin. Rows and rows of windows with loving corbels all over the shop? Garbage, hate it.

Obviously this means I basically don't like any major buildings built over the past several centuries in the UK or in fact most of the world.

Clearly the best solution is everything needs to be built in queen anne revival. Everyone lives in a loving gingerbread house.

In British weather (and air pollution) brick is about the longest-lasting (without looking poo poo) surface you can get apart from glass and metal, and as nobody ever reads my memos about the need for an International revival that means our choices are either brick, random surface dressing that looks like poo poo in 10 years, concrete that looks like poo poo in 5, or loving horrible market-knockoff-lego postmodernist poo poo.

I actually like the fact that on the quiet a lot of architects have just gone back to "square building made out of brick with regularly-spaced and -shaped windows" as a default style. Not every building has to be a massive statement, it's fine to shoot for "nice" or even "okay" as long as the building itself is serviceable.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Counterpoint to all the above advice, is that thing still getting security updates? If not then you really shouldn't be using it, especially for banking or shopping

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skarsnik posted:

Counterpoint to all the above advice, is that thing still getting security updates? If not then you really shouldn't be using it, especially for banking or shopping

S7s are on quarterly updates now, but they're still being updated. As of next year they will only receive necessary updates, though, so it's time to upgrade.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Julio Cruz posted:

it's always just a backronym

The best rule of thumb when it comes to etymology is that the more interesting a proposed etymology sounds, the less likely it is to be true.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jedit posted:

S7s are on quarterly updates now, but they're still being updated. As of next year they will only receive necessary updates, though, so it's time to upgrade.

That's alright then (for now). There was a dude in the anroid thread recently who got his dong pics distributed round his nearest and dearest using an ancient J7 after getting sent an infected file in a chat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"the noncing hour"
GBNews schedule looking as expected.

Reveilled posted:

The best rule of thumb when it comes to etymology is that the more interesting a proposed etymology sounds, the less likely it is to be true.
Sometimes the actual etymology is more interesting than the fake backronym, like with gently caress.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can we have an actual bag of wet eggs as Labour leader instead please

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1407266486104821761

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I cycled past that Bow Business Centre for about 5 years daily and I have to say it's one hell of an ugly fucker, was always quietly interested in walking in to see what was inside but never did get round to it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TACD posted:

Retweet an Independent article by an actor? That's a resignation.

Be found to have unlawfully funnelled money to your mates? Nah, just carry on working hard.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm getting inexplicably frustrated at the constant use of the word jab/jabbed/jabbing in the news for people being vaccinated, it feels too much like your weird 'tots/boffins' tabloid language and it rubs me up the wrong way

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

look he's learned to do a new hand thing, that's a good use of a year and a half

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
a kinder, gentler government opposition

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm getting inexplicably frustrated at the constant use of the word jab/jabbed/jabbing in the news for people being vaccinated, it feels too much like your weird 'tots/boffins' tabloid language and it rubs me up the wrong way

I like Jag as the original anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
in belfast it is called a jehg

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

I know exactly what you mean. It’s infantile.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Boffins jab tots in top doc fracas.

Some regional sources report a 'donnybrook'.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ThomasPaine posted:

I heard all the kids love stabbing these days so we should call it that

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

My partner commented on this the other day and I couldn’t agree more

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Nah, jab/jag is actually used by human beings in general conversation, where as boffins is not

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I love bricks. Especially when they're old and weathered, they look great. Dirt on bricks is characterful, dirt on white concrete just looks filthy. Show me a white concrete outside wall that's gone a week without looking like it needs a wash.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, jab/jag is actually used by human beings in general conversation, where as boffins is not

Jag is in Scotland I accept, but 'jab' is only used occasionally in England and very colloquially so it's weird seeing the entire mainstream press using it almost exclusively. It just feels patronising somehow, idk why.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Jag is in Scotland I accept, but 'jab' is only used occasionally in England and very colloquially so it's weird seeing the entire mainstream press using it almost exclusively. It just feels patronising somehow, idk why.

I’ve already told you! It’s infantilising.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

There has to be a way to quote tweets such that they survive deletion.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

There has to be a way to quote tweets such that they survive deletion.

Archaeoprogrammers have been trying to reverse engineer ancient screenshot technology, not sure how they're progressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is jab not a standard term for a vaccination? Flu jab, tetanus jab, TB jab? I've had lots of jabs in my time. It's what they're called.