Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Netscape was the best browser because you could call it Nutscrape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Netscape was the best browser because you could call it Nutscrape.

Back when you'd rarely see Microsoft spelled other than Micro$oft.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Imagined posted:

I swear I used IE longer than I should have just because of people who did this.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

sup

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Imagined posted:

It's true, though! They like to make money!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you didn’t have your Windows 98 desktop shortcut renamed “Internet Exploder” were you even a nerd a quarter century ago??

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not afraid to admit that I put masking tape over Microsoft on my joystick and wrote "MICRO$HAFT" on the tape.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Please, the browser of choice in the 90s was the Internet Shambler. I loved the animated gif of the Shambler as the loading animation.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

nostalgic for that old Micro$haft Winblows Internut Exploder anger

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember a simpler time, a time when when Bill Gates was universally hated because of Microsoft's business practices and because Windows 95 was unstable, not because he wants to give us all mind control vaccines through 5G networks and make us believe in global warming.

I think I had that picture as my desktop wallpaper in 2001 or so :allears:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

barbecue at the folks posted:

I remember a simpler time, a time when when Bill Gates was universally hated because of Microsoft's business practices and because Windows 95 was unstable, not because he wants to give us all mind control vaccines through 5G networks and make us believe in global warming.

I think I had that picture as my desktop wallpaper in 2001 or so :allears:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-ballad-of-bill-83715310/

if you want to do a deep dive on all of Gates' crimes and lovely behavior

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I can remember a time when my preferred browser on my Mac was Internet Explorer because you could pull up a great Lycos search in a sidebar.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure what browser my dad used back then, but he definitely had Bonzi Buddy and 5 other toolbars installed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, I'm so old, I remember when Microsoft was the evil monopoly.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Explosionface posted:

I can remember a time when my preferred browser on my Mac was Internet Explorer because you could pull up a great Lycos search in a sidebar.

I used IE on mac because you could swap between open windows with command-` This being the dark time before tabs.

For that matter, classic Mac OS belongs in here. In general it was more stable than the windows equivalent, but when something went down, it tended to bring the whole system down.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The "restart" button in the corner of the dialogue box telling you the system has crashed, but you can't press it because the whole thing is frozen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was my experience. The windows machines would at least give you some sort of error code for a split second before rebooting so you could maybe see what the issue is. Whenever a mac crashed, it would just freeze up for seemingly no reason.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Right in the feels. Pressing F to pay my respects to Netscape.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dear Obsolete And/Or Failed Technology Thread,

I am often a purveyor of vintage technology, I have had numerous rare and expensive technological items in my hands.
There is a grey area where stuff isn't old enough to be "vintage" and " collectible", but could still be possibly useful.

Case in point, I have a (used, in box) Iomega Super DVD All Format USB 2.0 External burner.

a 4x DVD burner. lol

The internet tells me
"For 4x DVD-Rs, the data is written to the DVD at 5.28 MB/s or 42.24 Mbit/s. It takes approximately 15 minutes to write a 4x DVD."

Still plenty useful, if you need an external CD Burner/Read or DVD reader but ooof, 15 minutes to burn a DVD.

Guess it's still worth 10-15 bucks haha.

I still own this big ol' beast of a 16x DVD burner from circa 2006. Today's DVD burners are considerably smaller, thinner and rely solely on USB instead of needing a reasonably-sized power brick like this one does. I rarely burn CDs or DVDs, but I'll probably stick with this thing as long as it's capable of burning DVDs properly.

Just noticed that $30 gets you a decent external DVD burner, but Blu-ray burners are still hilariously expensive. I'm not paying $160-$250 for that poo poo.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I remember how excited I was when I got my plextor CDR drive with BURN PROOF technology so my burned PS1 games were actually playable!!!!

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

90s Solo Cup posted:

Right in the feels. Pressing F to pay my respects to Netscape.

I still own this big ol' beast of a 16x DVD burner from circa 2006. Today's DVD burners are considerably smaller, thinner and rely solely on USB instead of needing a reasonably-sized power brick like this one does. I rarely burn CDs or DVDs, but I'll probably stick with this thing as long as it's capable of burning DVDs properly.

Just noticed that $30 gets you a decent external DVD burner, but Blu-ray burners are still hilariously expensive. I'm not paying $160-$250 for that poo poo.

drat, I ordered a BD-ROM for my desktop 10 years ago. And a USB BD burner a few years after that. They both cost less than $100. Plus the BD burner has that funny 2-headed USB cable because it needed extra power.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man I used to have a 3X NEC external SCSI cd-rom that was formerly owned by NASA. Had the asset tag and everything. Wtf did I do with it????

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AlternateAccount posted:

Man I used to have a 3X NEC external SCSI cd-rom that was formerly owned by NASA. Had the asset tag and everything. Wtf did I do with it????

I don't know but I have one too that I got for my DEC Alpha multia workstation when I went to college in like '96. Does yours have the rounded door and use caddies too?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

One Nut Wonder posted:

drat, I ordered a BD-ROM for my desktop 10 years ago. And a USB BD burner a few years after that. They both cost less than $100. Plus the BD burner has that funny 2-headed USB cable because it needed extra power.

I bought a BD-Burner recently so that I could burn some upscale versions of old local wrestling shows and also so I could watch blu-rays on my laptop at work (as I’m one of those people that still loves physical media) it cost way more than expected, the write up said it could be connected to a tv I got excited about this but clearly didn’t read it right, it doesn’t act as a stand-alone player instead it connects to USB and acts as a data drive so you can play video files off data discs.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

azurite posted:

I guess I don't get what's so egregious about the latest Firefox UI changes that made everyone so mad.

It's not the Firefox 3.0 UI, which was the perfect browser UI and never should have been changed. :corsair:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Powershift posted:

like 8 years ago in this thread there was a discussion about the keypad on ford vehicles being obsolete

Their entirely new for 2022 hybrid still has it.

I'm so jealous of those things! For whatever reason, they never put them on the Euro Fords, even the high end stuff. I'd love to be able to open my car without a key. The closest I came was a Mitsubishi I had which had been parked in London for 15 seconds and therefore the door lock had been ripped out. You could lock and unlock the car by twisting the barrel with your hand. It was really useful!

e: I probably said the same thing in this thread like 8 years ago

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

rndmnmbr posted:

It's not the Firefox 3.0 UI, which was the perfect browser UI and never should have been changed. :corsair:

"Hmm, when was 3.0, what exactly was that UI... Oh."

It's exactly the UI I work hard to recreate every time Mozilla updates and changes things around.

:corsair:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rexxed posted:

I don't know but I have one too that I got for my DEC Alpha multia workstation when I went to college in like '96. Does yours have the rounded door and use caddies too?

Naw it was this one, very Space Agency looking.

https://www.recycledgoods.com/nec-cdr-400-3x-scsi-external-plus-multispin-cd-rom-drive-w-power-supply/

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Horace posted:

I'm so jealous of those things! For whatever reason, they never put them on the Euro Fords, even the high end stuff. I'd love to be able to open my car without a key. The closest I came was a Mitsubishi I had which had been parked in London for 15 seconds and therefore the door lock had been ripped out. You could lock and unlock the car by twisting the barrel with your hand. It was really useful!

Since each key covers two digits and the code has four digits, a certain sequence of numbers will try every possible combination, and takes about 20 minutes to go through.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

evobatman posted:

Since each key covers two digits and the code has four digits, a certain sequence of numbers will try every possible combination, and takes about 20 minutes to go through.

Physically tearing the lock barrel out of my Mitsubishi's doorskin probably took less than 20 minutes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Citroën used an immobilizer system with a keypad located in front of the gear stick, in the 90s/early 2000s. It felt kinda secret agent/K.I.T.T. cool the first 2-3 times, then it just got tedious.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Yes, I have experience with those. The annoying thing was having to input the code every single time you started the engine, even if you only stopped it for a few seconds.

At least Citroen put the keypad in front of you. The Peugeot 405 keypad (same one) was underneath a little plastic door, underneath the centre armrest. Behind you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that will get you to learn how to use the clutch.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Wacky Delly posted:

I used IE on mac because you could swap between open windows with command-` This being the dark time before tabs.

For that matter, classic Mac OS belongs in here. In general it was more stable than the windows equivalent, but when something went down, it tended to bring the whole system down.

Ah, the joys of cooperative multitasking, where the program, not the operating system, decides when it's timeslice is up.

Also, you had to staticly allocate memory to applications at launch, which was just the stupidest design decision I've ever heard of, in front of whatever "System resources" were in Windows 3.11.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I burn so much poo poo I'm actually on my second blu-ray burner. Not only do I hoard a bunch of digital poo poo, it's actually reliable backup almost as good as m-disc if you're using non-organic media.

It's me, I'm the tech relic.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh those are awesome, I think they had a couple at the first computer summer job I did. I mostly put token ring cards into PCs and set them up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why not just be properly insured and never lock your car?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Horace posted:

They make tap sensors that allow you to tap front/rear window to unlock your car. A friend installed one in his bmw 325i in the late 90s early 2000s and it seemed pretty slick at the time.

https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-7960tl-tapcode-keyless-entry-system/

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
This is not necessarily obsolete, but I recently bought an 8 W laser that can pop balloons, and set poo poo on fire. It's the same wavelength that Blu-ray burners use. Order 10 BD-Rs and gonna see what happens. And yes, I have safety goggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

One Nut Wonder posted:

This is not necessarily obsolete, but I recently bought an 8 W laser that can pop balloons, and set poo poo on fire. It's the same wavelength that Blu-ray burners use. Order 10 BD-Rs and gonna see what happens. And yes, I have safety goggles.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I worked with a guy doing laser shows. Product releases, raves, TV spots and so on. The main unit back then was an 8W argon tube laser (blue/green). About 6 feet long, 3-phase power, water-cooled (not a closed loop - run cold water through it and out into a drain as it comes out quite warm) and it weighed a poo poo-ton. We had a signal driver to make cool Lissajous patterns or used an Amiga for animations/text/etc.

Anyway, I'm really only mentioning this as I expect your 8W laser fits in a bag you can sling over your shoulder and runs off standard mains power.