Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My heart of hearts always figured Deadstick was too good to be true. Noone has even cloned My Summer Car yet while good driving models are a lot easier to find for Unity than flying models even besides modeling and simulating a parts based vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems crazy to me because the steam page has had what looks like a somewhat working game for who knows how long. There's videos of planes flying. There are high quality graphics with what looks like fully modeled planes, there's good looking terrain and airports. Unless this was just a case of happening to have a really good 3D artist but no idea how to make the actual game work, I don't understand why they don't just release it as early access, get a bunch of money coming in, and then finish it up. Though maybe they are worried that whoever is excited enough about the game to get it in early access is all that will ever buy it. Though it would be hilarious if this was just an advanced version of half life mods where the person makes a big post on a forum saying "I'm the ideas guy, I've rendered these gun models I downloaded, I just need a programmer and we're good to go"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

Not only that, but they put development on pause while they figure things out. It's likely completely dead.

Would you say it’s Dead Stick?

:imunfunny:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is this pmdg prop plane any good in msfs?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think Dead Stick would be really hurt by MSFS in a lot of ways, too. I kind of expected before the launch of either that if they both came out, Deadstick would be my GA/Bush flying ticket, and MSFS would be my tubeliner game. Now sure, Dead stick still promises a whole lot of super cool stuff, but with good GA planes and the entire world modeled beautifully it would really have to sell the economic, maintenance, and other similar stuff in a really stellar way to compete. IMO they sort of missed a window to get a lot more people.

Then again, you could argue that maybe MSFS is attracting more people to the genre overall and Deadstick is different enough that they're good compliments.

Either way I think the point is moot because I do think its probably dead at this point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Deadstick sounds like bush tours plus landing challenges only probably less time-consuming and also you're smuggling drugs. I'd probably play an obscene amount of bush flights if they game-ified it in a OnAir sort of way. I don't see them ever adding that since the community will do it for free but it's nice to have some sort of persistence and goals.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

sellouts posted:

Is this pmdg prop plane any good in msfs?

It's good.

Couple caveats:
GPS is wonky because it's just the default. You can remove it and use the oldschool Bendix King radios. That's more fun anyway.
It doesn't work with the ingame multiplayer. Crashes the game when you get near someone else that's also in it. (Apparently they'll have a fix out soon?)
There's some shoddy texture work in places.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrYenko posted:

Would you say it’s Dead Stick?

:imunfunny:
boooo
:goofy:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think Dead Stick would be really hurt by MSFS in a lot of ways, too. I kind of expected before the launch of either that if they both came out, Deadstick would be my GA/Bush flying ticket, and MSFS would be my tubeliner game. Now sure, Dead stick still promises a whole lot of super cool stuff, but with good GA planes and the entire world modeled beautifully it would really have to sell the economic, maintenance, and other similar stuff in a really stellar way to compete. IMO they sort of missed a window to get a lot more people.

Then again, you could argue that maybe MSFS is attracting more people to the genre overall and Deadstick is different enough that they're good compliments.

Either way I think the point is moot because I do think its probably dead at this point.

Nah, Deadstick definitely would've benefited from MSFS's presence. Just look at how many people are buying flight sticks and stuff now. The flight sim "install base" as it were is bigger than it's been in quite a while now.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Has anyone used WinWing gear? Opinions?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Animal posted:

Has anyone used WinWing gear? Opinions?

One if my friends has the giant rear end throttle and loves it. Huge range and good build quality.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Looking for a third party mission/career mode type thing for flight simulator 2020. I remember hearing about a few of these, any idea what the best offerings are right now?
I'm looking for it to give me reasons to take flights around places I normally wouldn't think to and a sense of progression in terms of building up towards better planes.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

Looking for a third party mission/career mode type thing for flight simulator 2020. I remember hearing about a few of these, any idea what the best offerings are right now?
I'm looking for it to give me reasons to take flights around places I normally wouldn't think to and a sense of progression in terms of building up towards better planes.

FSEconomy: Old and janky. I used this with GoonAir years ago, but have not tried it with MSFS.
https://www.fseconomy.net/

OnAir: Ok, but paid subscription.
https://www.onair.company/

NeoFly: IMO now the most fun option. Downside is that it's singleplayer only. Has fun varied mission types, not just hauling cargo. Neofly advertises that it has multiplayer, but it only means flying missions together, you can't have your own airlines etc like you can with the first two.
https://www.neofly.net/

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 22, 2021

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Seconding NeoFly. It's pretty amazing what the developer has put together for free and last I checked, new stuff is still being rolled out. I'd at least start with that and see if it scratches the itch before going for something else.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
FSeconomy is from the FSX era and it shows. Really complicated and janky

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Warmachine posted:

I highly recommend regreasing the throttle slides with some nyogel 767a. I wasn't sure if a $35 tube of grease would be worth it, but holy poo poo it's worth it. Night and day difference in the feel of the throttle. The movements are smoother and offer far more resistance than you can get with the base tension bar. Precise adjustments are a lot easier since you don't have that 'jump' when you overcome the static friction.

took 2 months to get this delivered from the UK to Japan, but holy poo poo was it worth the wait.

if anything the op is underselling how good this stuff is.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

HORMELCHILI posted:

There's another one in early access I've been looking at called The Skypark (https://orbxdirect.com/product/p42-the-skypark) that looks pretty slick. I think they're still working on how to best implement progression (you get money for doing jobs, but there's not actually much to spend the money on yet - you don't unlock new planes, you can use everything you own in MSFS), and of course it does cost $31USD. But it's probably the best visually looking one of the bunch, at least that I've seen.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

DCS just released a patch with a new (free!) map, the Marianas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaukPIFFyY

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Going through the PMDG DC-6 tutorials from PMDG.

They're actually really good. It helps that they are actually pilots and were before they were simmers. In the takeoff vid, he notes you shouldn't rotate so aggressively on old planes like this, and then explains exactly why, with diagrams. Any other "hey guuuys" Youtuber would just tell you to pitch it up by X degrees and move on, with no additional context.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

HELL yeah! Flight Simulator performance improvements coming down the pipe this month:

quote:

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a notoriously demanding PC game, but a big patch is arriving later this month that promises significant performance improvements. Asobo, the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator, has been busy rewriting its engine to perform well on Xbox Series X / S, and the changes will also bring some much-needed improvements to the PC side on July 27th.

During a recent Twitch stream, spotted by Twinfinite, Asobo demonstrated just how significant the performance improvements will be on older systems with an Intel Core i7-9700K and an RTX 2060 Super. Microsoft Flight Simulator jumped from around 30fps to nearly a solid 60fps just thanks to the patch. CPU utilization also drops from 100 percent to 75 percent on this particular PC, and memory drops from around 16GB to 4.7GB.

loving finally, some relief. I guess it's time to finally start this re-download - I've got a Ryzen 3600X with a 2060, so with some tweaking I might actually be able to get this thing working at a non-nauseating clip.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 1, 2021

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Squiggle posted:

HELL yeah! Flight Simulator performance improvements coming down the pipe this month:

loving finally, some relief. I guess it's time to finally start this re-download.

Goes to show how awfully unoptimized the software is at the moment. Those are some nice improvements, and that’s without DirectX12 yet. I’ll be happy to buy it after the patch.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It hurts to hear my 9700k referred to as an "older system" but I'm all about that perf gain.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Neat! I have to say that the first handful of patches and the launch concerned me, but it feels like the game is getting out of the woods in a bigger way now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

That memory utilization drop is staggering, what the gently caress was that engine doing before optimization?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Squiggle posted:

That memory utilization drop is staggering, what the gently caress was that engine doing before optimization?

You already answered your own question. There was simply no optimization at all. It was just a flight sim engine McGuyvered to run on top of a fancy Google Earth style mapping app.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Was the demo inside a glass cockpit? Would be a shame if they improved the general pipeline and it still chokes on running UI and cockpit elements in a bad web browser.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

zedprime posted:

Was the demo inside a glass cockpit? Would be a shame if they improved the general pipeline and it still chokes on running UI and cockpit elements in a bad web browser.

They specifically called out that glass cockpit interfaces now run on their own thread instead of the main one so that should make a huge difference.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

And if you didn't click through to the stream, that was at Ultra graphics preset with a 4k renderscale of 40 flying over Manhattan. They mention they've put glass cockpits on its own thread, and done work around airports to reduce the CPU load there specifically.

I am cautiously very excited.

EDIT: July 27th release

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 1, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The A320 mod team is cautiously optimistic.

They also say their upcoming custom FPM has improved performance a lot too.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Finally, my 12 core cpu will be put to the test!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Squiggle posted:

And if you didn't click through to the stream, that was at Ultra graphics preset with a 4k renderscale of 40

uhhhhh so not 4k at all, and in fact lower resolution than 1080p?

it's great that they have improved performance but lol @ all these "4k" claims if the internal render resolution is significantly lower.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

uhhhhh so not 4k at all, and in fact lower resolution than 1080p?

it's great that they have improved performance but lol @ all these "4k" claims if the internal render resolution is significantly lower.

Oh hm, I haven't seen anyone suggest they were running at 4k? But this was apparently set this way specifically because they wanted to demonstrate the CPU improvements without also hitting the limits of the 2060 that his dev machine has.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 1, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just hope it fixes my CTD issues that have crept up over the past few months. It's gotten bad enough that I've been flying more in XP11 .

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squiggle posted:

loving finally, some relief. I guess it's time to finally start this re-download - I've got a Ryzen 3600X with a 2060, so with some tweaking I might actually be able to get this thing working at a non-nauseating clip.

God bless, really stoked that this is so soon.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

GutBomb posted:

They specifically called out that glass cockpit interfaces now run on their own thread instead of the main one so that should make a huge difference.

Holy poo poo this is bigger than DX12 IMO, can't wait, sick of getting 20-30 FPS starting the a320 up at any handcrafted airport with a 9700k and 3090

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cautiously optimistic about this, though due to how odd their configuration was, the actual performance improvements won't be as drastic as what was shown. I actually ended up GPU-bound a lot once I upgraded to an R5 5600x. I'm sure the CPU improvements will help a lot, but I'm not expecting life-changing performance here. Hopefully I'll be able to play on ultra settings more consistently.

And VR is especially an area that is not likely to improve by a lot unless they're also sneaking some heavy GPU optimizations without telling us. I have a feeling that you're still gonna want a 3080 or better to squeeze out as much performance as possible there, and I'd still like to see them try to get DLSS working with it as some other VR games have done.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Here I am with RX 580 OC 4GB and i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz and been able to fly with a decent frame rate. I haven't even loaded a jet plane yet so maybe those are super heavy.

This does sound like great news and hopefully I can increase my settings a bit.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Squiggle posted:

And if you didn't click through to the stream, that was at Ultra graphics preset with a 4k renderscale of 40 flying over Manhattan. They mention they've put glass cockpits on its own thread, and done work around airports to reduce the CPU load there specifically.

I am cautiously very excited.

EDIT: July 27th release

The only thing really worrying is that a 40% render scale of 4K is sub 1080p. Obviously the results speak for themselves, but still…

Edit: and of course someone beat me to the punch

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

GutBomb posted:

Ha, I called it.

What the gently caress even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fayez Butts posted:

The only thing really worrying is that a 40% render scale of 4K is sub 1080p. Obviously the results speak for themselves, but still…

Edit: and of course someone beat me to the punch

Isn't 1080p 25% of 4K?