Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Trabant posted:

Shotgunning a beer is monumentally stupid.

This guy, however, is cool:

Psh, he’s just a dollar-store Pangzai :colbert:

Edit to be a less-awful snipe:

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1318263061602422785?s=21

Busket Posket has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HPanda posted:

Asking an engineer to do anything is like making a monkey paw wish. They actively try to gently caress over the obvious intention behind whatever you say. You need to be precise and with absolutely zero room for alternate interpretations.

As an engineer and an engineering manager they are like loving genies. They won't do the simplest thing they might do the most complex thing if it technically does what you wanted. Where they differ from genies is that half they time what they do doesn't even loving work. Decided to do the wrong thing and gently caress that up as well.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kings among men.
:swoon:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HPanda posted:

Asking an engineer to do anything is like making a monkey paw wish. They actively try to gently caress over the obvious intention behind whatever you say. You need to be precise and with absolutely zero room for alternate interpretations.

Aramoro posted:

As an engineer and an engineering manager they are like loving genies. They won't do the simplest thing they might do the most complex thing if it technically does what you wanted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't doing this deliberately, though. I'm a programmer, not an engineer (well, my job description says "software engineer", but I think that's a weird term), but this is kind of just how I think.

It takes practise, and deliberately checking whether I'm missing the forest for the trees, to realise that I'm doing that again and reverse out of it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Engineers are why wisdom and intelligence are separate stats

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

evobatman posted:

Engineers are why wisdom and intelligence are separate stats

This is a deep statement, which would be even more accurate if Gygax would have been an engineer

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aramoro posted:

As an engineer and an engineering manager they are like loving genies. They won't do the simplest thing they might do the most complex thing if it technically does what you wanted. Where they differ from genies is that half they time what they do doesn't even loving work. Decided to do the wrong thing and gently caress that up as well.

In Navy boot camp this was called "nuking it" because the perpetrator was inevitably headed to nuke school.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Was there a reason to assign total fuckheads to nuclear powered vessels, beyond a nihilistic desire to watch it all burn?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

By popular demand posted:

Was there a reason to assign total fuckheads to nuclear powered vessels, beyond a nihilistic desire to watch it all burn?

High ASVAB scores and a bonus to recruiters who could find people willing to do it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hyperlynx posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't doing this deliberately, though. I'm a programmer, not an engineer (well, my job description says "software engineer", but I think that's a weird term), but this is kind of just how I think.

It takes practise, and deliberately checking whether I'm missing the forest for the trees, to realise that I'm doing that again and reverse out of it.

I think a lot of this comes from engineers not actually being the people you ask to do a thing. You ask them to design a machine to do a thing.

Their goal is to create a system that will keep working, reliably and predictably, no matter who is running it. Because it won't be them.

If you're asking the engineer to go buy the milk and eggs, you've hosed up in your engineering of the problem

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I would simply devise a milk-and-eggs buying machine. Please read the docs, which consist of roughly five pages of auto-generated YAML markup that hasn't been updated along with the machine, before telling me something is wrong.

Honestly, it's your own fault if you asked for "Eggs and Milk" instead of "Milk and Eggs", or if you asked for "Milk and eggs".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Add a splash of milk (and a small pinch of salt) to your eggs before scrambling them, its good.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Counterpoint: "I don't know what I want or how it should work, but five weeks after it's gone live I'll definitely know what I don't want"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Add a splash of milk (and a small pinch of salt) to your eggs before scrambling them, its good.
Thank you, this seems like a good way to use my extra 6 bottles of milk but I don't have any eggs yet so that might be a problem.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Woebin posted:

I would simply devise a milk-and-eggs buying machine. Please read the docs, which consist of roughly five pages of auto-generated YAML markup that hasn't been updated along with the machine, before telling me something is wrong.

https://achewood.com/eggsmilk.php

This guy knows.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Everyone should watch these Skits about a technical expert in a corporate world.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Woebin posted:

Honestly, it's your own fault if you asked for "Eggs and Milk" instead of "Milk and Eggs", or if you asked for "Milk and eggs".

("Milk" OR ("Milk" AND "Eggs")) purchase and delivery machine specification v0.001a

1. "Milk" is defined to be
a. cow's milk,
b. at least 4 days before use-by date
c. a full, sealed container or container(s)
d. from a refrigerated storage unit
e. minimum quantity as specified by user
f. maximum quantity as specified by user (defaults to minimum)
g. by default, whole mik, but the default can be changed by user
h. Not a bag of milk. Seriously. Who does that poo poo.
2. "Eggs" are defined to be
a. Eggs from a chicken
b. In locale (USA), must be from a refrigerated storage unit
c. Checked for breakage before purchase
d. Not placed under any other items during purchase, transportation, or delivery (exception: eggs in a "carton" may be placed under other eggs in a carton to a maximum depth of 3 cartons)
e. In any case, not placed in any configuration such that forces experienced during a normal basket maneuver or driving maneuver will cause the eggs to tip, spill, or otherwise experience forces in excess of 20 N across the widest part of the egg.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone should watch these Skits about a technical expert in a corporate world.

poo poo, anxiety trigger phrases throughout those skits.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This is actually a perfect response because I'd forgotten this exists and I identify with Roast Beef to an extent that's definitely a red flag.

thepopmonster posted:

("Milk" OR ("Milk" AND "Eggs")) purchase and delivery machine specification v0.001a

a. cow's milk,
a. Eggs from a chicken
d. Not placed under any other items during purchase, transportation, or delivery (exception: eggs in a "carton" may be placed under other eggs in a carton to a maximum depth of 3 cartons)
e. In any case, not placed in any configuration such that forces experienced during a normal basket maneuver or driving maneuver will cause the eggs to tip, spill, or otherwise experience forces in excess of 20 N across the widest part of the egg.
Bug report: unable to request eggs only.
Bug ticket closed, reason: it's milk AND eggs as per original spec, make a feature request if you want only eggs. Will not fix.

Bug report: machine gets stuck in infinite loop when faced with multiple egg options that all fulfill basic requirements.
Fix PR description: use RNG to select eggs when faced with multiple valid options.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

thepopmonster posted:

a. cow's milk,
a. Eggs from a chicken

Ugh, I'm currently testing after having to submit a bunch of docs like this, which were apparently, not enough. QA apparently let a lot of poo poo slip, and I'm getting mad just reading this and Woebin's replies. My workday hasn't even started yet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

With my luck when I ask for eggs and milk I'll get a roast chicken stuffed inside a steak tartar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EM-1642 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 1 egg
EM-1643 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 2 egg
EM-1644 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 3 egg
EM-1645 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 4 egg
EM-1646 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 5 egg
EM-1647 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 6 egg [commented]
EM-1648 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 7 egg
EM-1649 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 8 egg
EM-1650 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 9 egg
EM-1651 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 10 egg
EM-1652 [BLOCKER] Cannot purchase 11 egg

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Omega Mart?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That's why you make sure all your developers are lazy, then they at least did the least amount of work to get it wrong and it's less work fixing it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Break the system by bringing & leaving eggs and milk at the store.

If you're a woman, you can consume negative ounces of milk by lactating more than you drink.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A perfect example of:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Aramoro posted:

Tell them to make sure they read the shampoo bottle instructions next time they shower.

That's a joke because engineers don't shower.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Makes the eggs a little too watery for my taste -- I'd suggest adding a tablespoon of butter instead, esp. if you're going for the small-curd, French kind of scrambled eggs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trabant posted:

Makes the eggs a little too watery for my taste -- I'd suggest adding a tablespoonshitload of butter instead, esp. if you're going for the small-curd, FrenchJames Bond kind of scrambled eggs.

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Scrambled_Eggs_%27James_Bond%27

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

thepopmonster posted:

a. cow's milk,
a. Eggs from a chicken

Hello, I'd like each of the following:
1 Milk and 0 Egg
1 Milk and -1 Egg
1 Milk and "1" Egg
1 Milk and 2147483648 egg
"'); DROP TABLESPACE public;" and 1 egg
🥛 Milk and 🥚Egg
F̴̗̜͚͉̺̘͙̭̊̽̈́͊͋͑̒͑͌ő̷̧̳̱͔̣̯͎̤̊́͝r̷͈̖̲̖̜̹̗͋͑̀̊͘͠t̵̛̳̣͈̹̬̞̓̍͋ŷ̴͚̥̫͔̜̦̩̞̿̊͛̀̚-̷̛̲̓̿̽́̓̌͌͝ť̵̢̡̛̳̰̳̣̹̫w̵̢̧̟̯͂̿͒̈́͆͊̈́̊ǫ̶̛̖̖̝̲̀̎̈́̂͑̾̐͝ Milk and NULL Egg

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Adding milk to eggs is gross. It absolutely does not make them fluffier. Now, adding a splash of broth to scrambled eggs for flavor is amazing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Woebin posted:

This is actually a perfect response because I'd forgotten this exists and I identify with Roast Beef to an extent that's definitely a red flag.

Bug report: unable to request eggs only.
Bug ticket closed, reason: it's milk AND eggs as per original spec, make a feature request if you want only eggs. Will not fix.

Can confirm

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Philippe posted:

A perfect example of:

That Mcdonalds Sprite is fuken CRISPY

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

Can confirm

i am the girl who sucks

plus i got depression

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Woebin posted:

i am the girl who sucks

plus i got depression

What the HELL

People

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Woebin posted:

i am the girl who sucks

plus i got depression

same

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alterian posted:

Adding milk to eggs is gross. It absolutely does not make them fluffier. Now, adding a splash of broth to scrambled eggs for flavor is amazing.

Add a tiny splash of water when scrambling, it steams and adds air pockets within the scramble. Milk basically does the same thing but less and adds oils and such that just weigh it back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

A perfect example of:

Since we're already posting achewood

https://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05042009