Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

Can someone explain why these players have to isolate but not the entire Scottish team?

Bizarre isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

Can someone explain why these players have to isolate but not the entire Scottish team?

they french kissed gilmour in the locker room

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

in my lifetime england have never beaten a good team in a knockout phase. maybe you could argue Spain in euro 96 but tbh that was before Spain were a 'good' team

tournament knockout phase victories since 1990: belgium cameroon spain denmark ecuador columbia sweden

tournament knockout phase defeats since 1990: germany germany argentina brazil portugal portugal germany italy iceland croatia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kecske posted:

tournament knockout phase defeats since 1990: germany germany argentina brazil portugal portugal germany italy iceland croatia

I like how they're all world class teams until the last two

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Rarity posted:

I like how they're all world class teams until the last two

Croatia were World Cup finalists, Iceland is embarrassing enough without chatting poo poo

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Yeh that's a bit harsh on Croatia, throughout the 2010s they were a top team.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just saw that England have qualified for the knockout rounds without even kicking a ball. It's coming home.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Uri Geller floating around in his balloon psychically manipulating the goal differences when England aren't even playing

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
As per my last post yesterday, and with Mount out with viddy, absolutely no excuse to not take the handbrake off a bit now. The Czechs came to Wembley two years ago and we put 5 past them. Some sort of change is needed to get the moral and confidence up. If we face Portugal or Germany in the next round, sure, go 4231 and be pragmatic, but not tonight.

Regardless, ICH.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1407282562230272001

Absurd. These two have to isolate for a week but none of the Scotland squad do?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

More absurd that including Gilmour only 3 people need to isolate? Do they not share a dressing room?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

peanut- posted:

If you watch Scotland play football you would know that the rest of the team generally dont keep in touch with the attack

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Why do they need to isolate? Can’t they just test them and if they’re negative they can play?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

kecske posted:

in my lifetime england have never beaten a good team in a knockout phase. maybe you could argue Spain in euro 96 but tbh that was before Spain were a 'good' team

tournament knockout phase victories since 1990: belgium cameroon spain denmark ecuador columbia sweden

that england belgium from 1990 match is really infuriating in hindsight

you also forgot we beat you again after croatia :smuggo:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Why do they need to isolate? Can’t they just test them and if they’re negative they can play?

You can test negative and be a carrier for a further 5 days within contact or something. So he would likely have tested right after the game, then will take another test in a few days

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
has there been any explanation at all why its just those 2 and absolutely nobody else involved in the match?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

belgend posted:

3rd place playoff isn't a knockout stage!

imo

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

There is probably some incriminating photos out there of the three of them hanging out.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently it's because they had "close contract in the tunnel after the game" whatever that means.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Absolute scenes when Maguire replaces Mount.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

belgend posted:

lol your two world cup wins over us in 2018 were both meaningless

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
So if ENG win the group then they play on Tuesday, meaning Mount/Chilly available. But it also means you have to play Portugal/Germany. Welp

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

peanut- posted:

Apparently it's because they had "close contract in the tunnel after the game" whatever that means.

Good to see post match licky bum bum is still a proud tradition

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Omnikin posted:

So if ENG win the group then they play on Tuesday, meaning Mount/Chilly available. But it also means you have to play Portugal/Germany. Welp

Yep. I mean I will get laughed out of town, and that's ok, but I would not be scared if we faced either of those at Wembley in the R16. They're both better than England, but I think the conservative/pragmatic style of Southgate may actually be a decent counter to what they both offer. Throw in the home support, and I would think we had a chance. Thinking of fixtures like Belgium or Spain in the NL where the tactical plan worked.

But then I remember horror shows like Scotland where the plan absolutely did not work and I had to listen to two simpletons in the pub complain all game, and in the middle of their ranting had to ask me the name of the lad we had at right back.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Football at international tournaments should be like a deckbuilder game. You've got 26 in your extended squad, as picked by the manager, before each game they're all shuffled about, you draw 18 players from the pool which you get to pick a team+subs from. If you don't have a goalkeeper in those eighteen you can draw again but you're down two in your matchday squad.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I used to think all the players get into a big bath when they finish a match, but maybe newer stadiums have running water idk

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

britishbornandbread posted:

Yep. I mean I will get laughed out of town, and that's ok, but I would not be scared if we faced either of those at Wembley in the R16. They're both better than England, but I think the conservative/pragmatic style of Southgate may actually be a decent counter to what they both offer. Throw in the home support, and I would think we had a chance. Thinking of fixtures like Belgium or Spain in the NL where the tactical plan worked.

But then I remember horror shows like Scotland where the plan absolutely did not work and I had to listen to two simpletons in the pub complain all game, and in the middle of their ranting had to ask me the name of the lad we had at right back.

Lol england would get absolutely destroyed by both of those teams.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

CyberPingu posted:

Lol england would get absolutely destroyed by both of those teams.

I mean, I disagree, but if you say so mate. So we should draw/lose tonight and take a pasting off France in the QFs instead?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

britishbornandbread posted:

I mean, I disagree, but if you say so mate. So we should draw/lose tonight and take a pasting off France in the QFs instead?

Either way you have to face a team that's stronger than England. It doesn't matter as they are going to be 1 and done in the knockouts anyway.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We have to face the good teams at some point so it doesn't really matter when we play them, we'll have to get spanked at some point (but nonetheless it's coming home etc etc)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
mate it's coming home, our brave english lions aren't afraid of any loving krauts or discount brazilians

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2 world wars and 1 world cup etc etc

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

discount brazilians

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fantastic username tbh

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Jakabite posted:

1.5 years into the pandemic and we still get this lmao

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1407337737829634063
:lol:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Harsh on Mings, he's been their best defender.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Frankston posted:

Harsh on Mings, he's been their best defender.

I would go with that. He's not had too much to do, but considering everyone, including myself, thought he was a walking disaster waiting to happen, I think he's been a solid 7 out of 10 so far.

Can't say I am too upset with the leaked XI. Everyone clamouring for Grealish, well, he's there.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

My lol is because 2 sitting mids again, a Maguire that I doubt should be playing and the obvious playing-like-poo poo-Kane. Dunno about Saka, is he better than Sancho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So are we protecting a young player like Sancho by playing Saka?