Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Beeswax posted:

In short: While some have complained about response rates and sample sizes, there is a stable over-representations of MP (greens) and V (left) among Swedish journalists, and an under-representation of M/SD.
https://research.chalmers.se/publication/518198/file/518198_Fulltext.pdf

Stats for Norway:

https://kyber.blob.core.windows.net/nmd/2978/medievaner-alle-grupper_rapport_2020.pdf

Always felt like a 1%er

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

MP and L are the real worries. I expect SD/M/KD to be at about the same levels they were last election.

MP was saved last election by a summer full of forest fires and their Stockholm voters. L are hosed. If both are out we will have something like 28+10+8=46 for S+V+C and 22+20+5=47 for M+SD+KD, which is basically even in terms of actual mandates.
So sorry V voters, but you are utterly dependent on C for any form of left leaning politics.

Beeswax posted:

In short: While some have complained about response rates and sample sizes, there is a stable over-representations of MP (greens) and V (left) among Swedish journalists, and an under-representation of M/SD.

One can also describe it so that journalists are in general city living, left leaning liberals with bad job safety and limited amount of employers. It is also a relative small profession in terms of people and homogenous which breeds group thinking and punishes those that deviates from the group.
If I remember correctly, SD supporters and journalists don’t generally live in the same areas, which is one reason they don’t get each other.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

One can also describe it so that journalists are in general city living, left leaning liberals with bad job safety and limited amount of employers. It is also a relative small profession in terms of people and homogenous which breeds group thinking and punishes those that deviates from the group.

Unlike the rebellious and freewheeling lawyers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
God I wish IG would embed properly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQZCVqCnJhN/?utm_medium=copy_link

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

It's also true that most of the journalists that actually cover politics are right-leaning.

i'm not sure it is. back in the day they investigated this and found that political journalists were much more in line with the population in general, but i don't recall that going into majority right-leading. the 2021 report doesn't have that as a crosstab, but the tendency of broad-left overrepresentation among journalists seems to have increased

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiac posted:

this is part of the picture, but this effect does not seem fully explicable by people being educated urban dwelling people. the precarity and incestuousness of the business may well explain the rest, but journalists as a group does appear to be meaningfully left-wing

imo this isn't a huge thing, with editors and the structural incentives in place making news structurally ideological in ways ultimately contrary to traditional left-wing goals

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Fortsatt fler journalister som stemmer Høyre enn Rødt, så noen kommunist-bastion er nok bransjen ikke. At journalister er liberale og litt til venstre for sentrum er ikke veldig overraskende.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i agree!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's so difficult to know which of the scandithreads I am in.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Cardiac posted:

So sorry V voters, but you are utterly dependent on C for any form of left leaning politics.

What everyone - especially C voters - seems to be forgetting is that they are equally dependent on V for any form of coalition that doesn't include SD.

Barring the possibility of a cross-center grand coalition, which reeks of desperation and typically means death for the minor partner(s).

Substitute C, V and SD for B, Ø and DF at your convenience :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm not sure it is. back in the day they investigated this and found that political journalists were much more in line with the population in general, but i don't recall that going into majority right-leading. the 2021 report doesn't have that as a crosstab, but the tendency of broad-left overrepresentation among journalists seems to have increased

A few years old, but majority of the journalists that covers politics vote Høyre: https://journalisten.no/nordiske-mediedager/dette-stemmer-du/168961

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I don't

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Unlike the rebellious and freewheeling lawyers.

I should add medical doctors and lawyers as other examples (well, if one disregards the job situation).

V. Illych L. posted:

this is part of the picture, but this effect does not seem fully explicable by people being educated urban dwelling people. the precarity and incestuousness of the business may well explain the rest, but journalists as a group does appear to be meaningfully left-wing

imo this isn't a huge thing, with editors and the structural incentives in place making news structurally ideological in ways ultimately contrary to traditional left-wing goals

From my perspective they are left wing ( :v: ), but I agree with you that they are not what one would call “pure” left. And as you say, most work for commercial entities, so shouting abolish capitalism and bringing out the guillotine doesn’t work that well with their employers.

jeebus bob posted:

What everyone - especially C voters - seems to be forgetting is that they are equally dependent on V for any form of coalition that doesn't include SD.

Barring the possibility of a cross-center grand coalition, which reeks of desperation and typically means death for the minor partner(s).

Yup, and a cross center coalition is a no go from both M and S. One of the issues is that S refuses to tolerate any coalition that doesn’t have a S prime minister, which IMO is one reason for the locked scenario. The above math is also why S is desperate for ruling with C, since otherwise they will be locked out of power for a long time. Which is the major reason for their anti SD propaganda.

At this point S is a party that is held together by being in power (since there is no other political goal) and being able to give favors to all the small factions in the party. There is going to be massive infighting once they lose power and cannot do this anymore.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

A few years old, but majority of the journalists that covers politics vote Høyre: https://journalisten.no/nordiske-mediedager/dette-stemmer-du/168961

that's not what this source says?

"Største partiet ville da vært Høyre med 48 representanter. Arbeiderpartiet like bak med 45 og kunne søkt støtte i SVs 21 representanter. Venstre-leder Lars Sponheim ville trolig vært storfornøyd med resultatet med 28 representanter."

which, granted, is a more right-wing bent than i recalled, but it's also only "presselosjen" at stortinget which is not really exhaustive of political journalists and it's not a majority of the people voting by any means - 48 representatives is 25-30% depending on the year

i'm trying to find the actual crosstabs of the 2009 survey but it's remarkably difficult - it does look like there would've been a narrow bourgeois majority, but they don't give numbers for anyone but SV, Ap, H and V and implicitly Sp (0?) so it's hard to tell whether the right as a whole was seriously overrepresented or if it's a matter of right-wing journalists voting H instead of Frp.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
LoL rhetorical expert at SVT proclaims Ebba to have been amongst the best speakers yesterday.

Hjärteland will surely be remembered for all the right reasons I’m sure.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It boggles my mind that anyone could think she's a good and charismatic speaker. :psyduck:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
If there is Heartland there is Arseland :downs:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Fjärtlandet

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Shame I can’t figure out a good spelling of the “shh” sound - sj is close but I really need a good “shartland”

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

teen witch posted:

Shame I can’t figure out a good spelling of the “shh” sound - sj is close but I really need a good “shartland”

Stjärteland

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

sch does the trick phonetically.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Stjärteland

Yeah but it has the extra e as it’s own syllable, and not the quickness of shart

Potrzebie posted:

sch does the trick phonetically.

Schartland kind of works?

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
I've been living outside of Sweden the last few years and only catch up on political news around election time or events like this, so apologies for the basic question:

What does S even stand for anymore? Every time I look it's Lööf acting like the actual PM trying to set policy, with Löfven being led by the nose. Do S and for that matter MP have any decent things they've enacted to point to either this September or next (not just, M+SD will be worse!)?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Their budgets have been decent I guess? And sometime in the past 8 years or so they officially recognized Palestine as a sovereign nation, so that’s something, but neither is really election winners.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Some political commentators have noticed that with yesterday’s event basically all the C liberalisations that were due this mandate period are now dead thanks to V.
Which makes the situation a clear political victory for V.
Political power is not only the means to promote a cause, it is also the ability to stop something, and for the latter you don’t need to be in the ruling coalition.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

They did temporarily ease the requirements for a-kassa membership fulfilment, which was nice. Maybe it was a decision made mostly for economical rather than ideological reasons, but regardless it's the first time since the conservatives hosed up the system that a-kassorna have seen new members across the board.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I joined Seko and a-kassan recently because Trafikförvaltningen, once again, spearheaded by M, decided that train conductors at MTR should be replaced by cameras. They pinky swear that they’ll shuffle us conductors to another assignment, but I heard that bs years ago at Tvärbanan and they can shove it. I know what a promise from M-politicians are worth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Some political commentators have noticed that with yesterday’s event basically all the C liberalisations that were due this mandate period are now dead thanks to V.
Which makes the situation a clear political victory for V.
Political power is not only the means to promote a cause, it is also the ability to stop something, and for the latter you don’t need to be in the ruling coalition.

Arbetsförmedlingen is still in tatters from the combined punch of Andersson permanenting the massive budget cut and on top C got its privatization reform* (yes, it is already live) which accomplishes very little but creating bloat and enabling more grift.

*addtional link as there's two variants depending on where you live: https://arbetsformedlingen.se/for-arbetssokande/extra-stod/stod-a-o/rusta-och-matcha

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 22, 2021

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

anatomi posted:

They did temporarily ease the requirements for a-kassa membership fulfilment, which was nice. Maybe it was a decision made mostly for economical rather than ideological reasons, but regardless it's the first time since the conservatives hosed up the system that a-kassorna have seen new members across the board.

How did a-kassorna work before?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

How did a-kassorna work before?

Punishment deduction upon claiming and a demand on a equivalent of 6 months of fullwork in the former 12 months. They removed the deduction and eased the requirement to 3 months. The deduction was reinstated in January.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Not sure what you mean by punishment deduction?

There are two types of compensation from a-kassan: grundersättning and inkomstbaserad ersättning.

When you apply for compensation from a-kassan they look at your work history in the previous 12 months (ramtid) to see if you've fulfilled an arbetsvillkor. The primary arbetsvillkor requires that within your ramtid you have at least 6 months with 60 hours of work each.

Both grundersättning and inkomstbaserad ersättning require an arbetsvillkor.

Inkomstbaserad ersättning bases the compensation on what you've earned during the ramtid and is usually much higher than the grundersättning. But it has a second requirement, that you've been a member of an a-kassa for at least a year.

The temporary covid-19 laws made any membership month between March - December 2020 count as 4 months, which made it possible to fulfil the membership requirement for inkomstbaserad ersättning in just 3 months.

They also raised the various levels of compensation for grundersättning and inkomstbaserad ersättning. In addition, the amount of hours required for an arbetsvillkor used to be higher.

Edit: lol sorry for :words: about a-kassan

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 22, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Jim Bont posted:

I've been living outside of Sweden the last few years and only catch up on political news around election time or events like this, so apologies for the basic question:

What does S even stand for anymore? Every time I look it's Lööf acting like the actual PM trying to set policy, with Löfven being led by the nose. Do S and for that matter MP have any decent things they've enacted to point to either this September or next (not just, M+SD will be worse!)?

A lot of S voters are apparently asking the same question, as today's DN/IPSOS survey says V now has the biggest support they've had in 19 years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

anatomi posted:

Not sure what you mean by punishment deduction?

Karensen. 6 days if let go, 45 days if you quit. Between april and december 2020 it was annulled by a time-limited decision which wasn't renewed upon expiration.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ahh, gotcha. I work at an a-kassa and our sincere hope is that karensen goes away forever when the new arbetslöshetsförsäkringslag comes in maybe 2 years. There's a lot of unnecessary poo poo that should be pruned.

Edit: just to clarify though, the 6 karensdagarna isn't the same thing as the 45 avstängningsdagar you might incur if you've quit your job without a valid reason. Karensen isn't supposed to be punitive.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 22, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jim Bont posted:

scandinavian social democracy has been in a process of hollowing-out and realignment for decades at this point. basically the swedish social democrats have chosen to double down on representing fully-employed, organised public sector workers and the state bureaucracy whereas the danish ones have chosen to represent private-sector people in more rural areas, probably guessing that they can keep the centre ground and basically strong-arm the more radical left (which isn't especially credible as a governing force without the social democrats for various reasons) into going along with the main stuff.

this is extremely interesting seen from norway, because the swedish approach seems to be a recipe for suicide, but i'm not sure that the danish way is open to the norwegian labour party - the position seems to have been occupied by the SP, whose growth ironically seems to have left some of their old base up for grabs (bondeopprøret is suddenly looking at SV of all parties lol)

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

anatomi posted:

Karensen isn't supposed to be punitive.

What is the rationale behind it? What is it supposed to be?

E: God drat I hate everything about the 45 days punishment for quitting your job and the message that sends to workers. Miserable at work? Are your bosses and or coworkers huge pieces of poo poo? Hate your current situation and need a change? Well gently caress you unless you are privileged enough to have money available to sustain you for almost two months without any income.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

anatomi posted:

Karensen isn't supposed to be punitive.

Yet it has the word Karen in it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just get fired 😊

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just get fired 😊

:backtowork:But not for cause unless you enjoy not having an income for 9 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

ansvarsfull kameläsä