Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

I wasn't able to play anything from the demo festival until yesterday but so far my favorite game is The Signal State, which only got a brief mention in this thread (it did get a shout out in the Zachtronics thread fortunately, which is how I heard about it). It's a zach-like, a puzzle game so inspired by Zachtronics games that it feels like it could be one of theirs. The game takes place in some sort of climate disaster future, where you are an engineer/mechanic who needs to help restore agricultural machinery to help out a small survivor town.

Like a number of Zachtronics games, the gameplay mechanics don't try to match the setting (e.g. performing visual programming loops in SpaceChem as a way to perform chemical engineering). Here, you interact with machinery by designing modular synths. The goal isn't to make music, but to use the modules to transform input signals to specific outputs.

I am really enjoying it, and I am pretty bad at it (another reason it feels like a Zachtronics game)! I am a programmer, but not a musician, so I have had to look up some things to get a better grasp of how certain modules work.

The core gameplay in the demo seems very polished. The only issues I have seen have been some places where the UI/UX could improve (not being able to skip dialog when replaying a level, not being able to continue playing a level after finishing it without reentering it). The devs are currently targeting an end of the year release and I plan on keeping an eye out for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Cross Code? I got it through a bundle and while I hear mostly good things I hear that the puzzle centric dungeons kind of bring it down
It's a competently made isometric action rpg with extremely slow pacing, and where every single dungeon overstays its welcome by about an hour.

Edit: By slow pacing I mean that the story doesn't really go anywhere until about 20 hours in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Cross Code? I got it through a bundle and while I hear mostly good things I hear that the puzzle centric dungeons kind of bring it down

The puzzles are great, it's just there's so many of them it's actually bloody exhausting to play through most of the dungeons in one go (so much so that they have breaks in what is ostensibly a race). That's kind of true of everything in the game: I hope you enjoy everything the game presents you, because it's going to keep iterating and iterating and iterating

One good safety-net litmus test for the game: look up or try to do a jumping puzzle or two, and see whether or not the "jumping puzzle vs isometric-ish camera" problems annoy you. And you better be honest, because the jumping puzzles start at rather obtuse, and end dozens of hours later at that bastard room in Sapphire Ridge that makes Landstalker for the Sega Genesis look well-designed and straightforward. I mean my god.

I loved the game to death anyway, warts and all :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I also enjoyed CrossCode, especially the supporting cast. You really do feel the friendships grow over time, the way you would yourself if you played an MMO with a consistent group of once-strangers-now-friends. That being said, I would echo the game being mentally exhausting to play. Everything is a goddamn puzzle. EVERYTHING. Puzzles goddamn everywhere ahhh.

Note also that the DLC finishes the story. Like you get an ending at the end of the base game, but there are still a lot of unresolved threads that the DLC finishes up.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Not even just the dungeons, almost every single map tile in CrossCode is tied to one or more puzzles, many of them spanning most of a given region. It really can't be overstated that there are so, SO many puzzles. Those ones are mostly optional though, mostly just for loot and gear. Just be aware that if you're a completionist type (like me) it's going to bother the absolute poo poo out of you if you don't solve every puzzle and eventually get burned out because of it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Broken Cog posted:

every single dungeon overstays its welcome by about an hour.

This is incorrect, give me more dungeon

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Final Fantasy IX

If you want a late 90s jrpg you can't really do much better then this game. That comes with the understanding that a core design philosophy for jrpgs around that time was naked contempt for the player. It's a pretty hefty time sink, 40-50 hours even with using the fast-forward feature to speed things up like over world travel or backtracking to find a missed item.

You could probably beat the game without a walk-through, but you'll miss so much side content, plus dozens of permanently missable items and not knowing the meta-strategy in advance so every major fight isn't a "get killed once, respec specifically to target bosses's weakness, win easily". Combat later on in the game becomes a lot of shuffling equipment and your abilities around to fight specific threats, and it's not really fun pecking through a bare bones SNES era style menu to find which of a dozen armbands is gonna be useful against fire.

Overall, a good game especially when you know how to avoid the major grind points going in, and a story that seems to take itself less seriously then the other FF games so it has some levity going on to keep things interesting. It wouldn't be a Final Fantasy game if the last 10% didn't sort of fall apart and leave you confused as to what was going on, but everything up to that was good enough I just got passed it to beat the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rolo posted:

I’ve made it to what I’m assuming is the last boss in Hades and I still haven’t figured out what to do with Titan blood. Google tells me it unlocks weapon aspects but I don’t know what those are either.

I’ve done almost everything except unlock the last weapon, do I get something fundamental I should have gotten forever ago when I unlock all of them?

You're not missing out on too much yet. You can unlock the ability to spend titan blood earlier, but you can't really go crazy with it until after the final boss when you get access to a source of a lot more blood.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Played through the first two missions of D&D: Dark Alliance and I have two positive things to report back.

It's free on game pass.

It's so clearly awful it won't take you the full 2 hours to want to refund it on Steam.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's the best game for throwing/pushing baddies off a cliff? I just realized that's my favorite thing to do in all these games. Give me cliff action. Maybe you got one monster on one side and you crush em into the wall, you got a nazi on the other side and you shove em off the cliff. That's the stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mescal posted:

What's the best game for throwing/pushing baddies off a cliff? I just realized that's my favorite thing to do in all these games. Give me cliff action. Maybe you got one monster on one side and you crush em into the wall, you got a nazi on the other side and you shove em off the cliff. That's the stuff.

Dark Messiah of Slippin' and Slidin'

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mescal posted:

Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRUHzYJwNE

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mescal posted:

Someone here posted a few days ago about a game in the steam demo fest where your player character just has a big compressed air gun and you can only fight by knocking baddies into traps (and presumably off cliffs). I've forgotten the name though.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Mescal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-m1kXknVM&t=13s

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

There's always playing against bots on the multiplayer maps for Jedi Outcast that have platforms/walkways suspended over pits

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order lets you shove nerds off cliffs with your mind.

Then you unlock mass force push.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mescal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Seriously, this old game of weird jank became an instant classic just because of that one mechanic. It's not allll throwing orcs off of cliffs, all day every day, but they do encourage a lot of physics interactions for such an old game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1407236627722866688/pu/vid/1280x720/qRBIoVrLEkp0Ypfr.mp4

incredible

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

What is it with 3rd person actiony D&D games, Daggerdale was released 10 years and 1 month ago today and nothing's changed

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

lol that game looks dope

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

instant buy

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

"Hey, you know that problem gamers have, where you have a whole group of enemies and they all come attack you one by one?"

"Yeah that really takes me out of the game."

"What if...we have whole groups of enemies, and none of them attack you one by one."

"None of them attack you, got it!"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Veib posted:

What is it with 3rd person actiony D&D games, Daggerdale was released 10 years and 1 month ago today and nothing's changed

I think the deal with Daggerdale is that they were contractually obliged to make something that could be legally described as a game in order to retain the intellectual property rights. This may be something similar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

honestly, what magnificent art direction. i truly felt like i was experiencing a dungeons and dragons game playing out in real time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

D&D has never been good

it was almost good with 4e but the backlash from longtime fans of bad things was so intense that the owners feared to ever try and make it good again

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I like the goblin noping out to his home planet instead of falling over dead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

Dying Light is pretty good for cliff tossin', but probably not quite as good as Dark Messiah

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
City of Gangsters is pretty dope and you can play the demo right now. If you wanted to play a good gangster management game, this looks to be it unless it jumps the shark later. The "demo" seems extremely extensive, I've played for around 5 hours and there was no sign of any limit. Full game comes out in August. Apparently it's by the Project Highrise people?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Gort posted:

I think the deal with Daggerdale is that they were contractually obliged to make something that could be legally described as a game in order to retain the intellectual property rights. This may be something similar.

There is video evidence of these guys having a working top down true Dark Alliance game and then throwing it all away to make and be proud of what you see today.

A mystery for sure on this one.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mescal posted:

Elderborn is a modern spiritual successor to Dark Messiah, you might want to check it out.

Bulletstorm lets you kick an enemy off a cliff, pull them back with an electroleash and then kick them into wall spikes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mescal posted:

There's the short but sweet indie fantasy FPS ELDERBORN for some cliff-kickin' action.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

lol that game looks dope

i meant dark messiah, not that other whatever

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Finally getting around to playing Bayonetta, and man am I glad that QTE in the style of button mashing has gone mostly away. Does Devil May Cry 4 (and newer) have similar QTE mashing?

Couple of keys for whoever.

Ken Follett's The Pill_rs of the Earth - 8YHMR-_QFHP-J9HJN
Stat_ of Mind - 29CX_-WF4N3-_39TH
Whispers of a Ma_hine - 2AF9Z-7E9LV-QYDI_
Bad North: Jotunn _dition - 28XM7-KMX3A-30II_

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just noticed there's a Steam page up for the next caiysware game, i.e. the dude who made Spirits Abyss, Straimium Immortaly et al. Deadzoned. A traditional turn-based roguelike this time around. I will buy everything this guy makes until the end of time basically so I'm looking forward to it. There's an early playable up on his site, I might take it out for a spin later.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The VR Myst remake from last year is slipping from its Oculus-exclusive prison and now has a release window for third-quarter this year on Steam and GOG. This version will support non-VR play, as well as non-Oculus headsets. It also looks decidedly pretty. Anyone with an Oculus play it and have any impressions?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

aw, my first quote thread title, after all these years here :shobon:

Relaxing cleaning game aside, I've been playing the much-less-relaxing Celeste again. I didn't know there was a chapter 89! between this and never having done the b-sides (omg there's c-sides now too?!) and I'm kind of in platforming nirvana here

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 22, 2021

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Sway Grunt posted:

Just noticed there's a Steam page up for the next caiysware game, i.e. the dude who made Spirits Abyss, Straimium Immortaly et al. Deadzoned. A traditional turn-based roguelike this time around. I will buy everything this guy makes until the end of time basically so I'm looking forward to it. There's an early playable up on his site, I might take it out for a spin later.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I love the Caiys games. It’s great to get in early too because they’re usually only around three bucks when he first releases them. The value proposition is just ludicrous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sway Grunt posted:

Oh hell yes. I have poor reflexes but love his stuff so I'm excited for something that's my speed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Kins posted:

The VR Myst remake from last year is slipping from its Oculus-exclusive prison and now has a release window for third-quarter this year on Steam and GOG.

Talking about Myst reminded me to check Obduction to add it on my wishlist to keep track during the upcoming sale, but the recent user reviews rank it so low that I wonder if these people are broken or if there's actually something inherently bad about it. That one long form video review I saw a few months back where a guy kept gushing over it and its attention to detail totally sold me on the game hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Saoshyant posted:

Talking about Myst reminded me to check Obduction to add it on my wishlist to keep track during the upcoming sale, but the recent user reviews rank it so low that I wonder if these people are broken or if there's actually something inherently bad about it. That one long form video review I saw a few months back where a guy kept gushing over it and its attention to detail totally sold me on the game hard.

Obduction is basically exactly what you'd expect from "the Myst folks make a Kickstarter game" for both good and bad.