Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: its been a while since i played xcom, are the chosen meant to appear in every single loving mission?

No, unless you've got the Wild Hunt (I think that's the name?) dark event going that ramps up the frequency of appearance a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there a relatively recent mod list for WOTC? I had a few for vanilla/legacy but now that I got chosen I figured I might as well grab the essentials, whatever they may be. Just basic QOL stuff, I'm not looking to change much.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

More nations and names is a great mod

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a relatively recent mod list for WOTC? I had a few for vanilla/legacy but now that I got chosen I figured I might as well grab the essentials, whatever they may be. Just basic QOL stuff, I'm not looking to change much.

I think the major ones are faster avenger loading, stop wasting my time (lowers time for things like gremlins to move), evac all, something about improved barracks view of soldier stats, something about preview enemies in sight for a move (though this may have been built in) and for cosmetics I really like Capn Busb's mod.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my God i don’t know if it gets worse / annoying later on but I loving love the lost. This is loving hectic as hell and it loving rules to just get some sick chain headshots going and your crew just MOWING these things down.

Also my first action with the skirmisher was to grapple a purifier before being told what happens when purifiers die.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 22, 2021

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did a writeup post about it all fairly recently, but basically there's the Core Collection and Core Collection Meta Mod, some Text Mods to increase the number of backstories and cities and nicknames and such, and then Stop wasting my time - wotc. I use a lot more than just this, but it's a start.

EDIT: Figured I'd just link back to my previous post for all the other 'close enough to vanilla' mods I mentioned: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067&userid=183460&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post515008628

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 22, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Torchlighter posted:

I did a writeup post about it all fairly recently, but basically there's the Core Collection and Core Collection Meta Mod, some Text Mods to increase the number of backstories and cities and nicknames and such, and then Stop wasting my time - wotc. I use a lot more than just this, but it's a start.

Thanks! I’ll go through these and grab/set them up tomorrow.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

At some point I installed the Rend the Lost mod, and it's so overpowered, but hilarious when you bring your Templar onto Lost missions.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my God i don’t know if it gets worse / annoying later on but I loving love the lost. This is loving hectic as hell and it loving rules to just get some sick chain headshots going and your crew just MOWING these things down.

Also my first action with the skirmisher was to grapple a purifier before being told what happens when purifiers die.

I'd grab the mod that makes the Lost have a 50% chance to target the aliens/ADVENT too. In vanilla they target your guys more often. Makes it feel more fun IMO when the enemy also has to deal with zombies.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

that's hands down my favorite mod. i can't even imagine playing without it anymore. every lost mission suddenly has a strategy element of trying to divert lost to advent like a hot potato. sending a ranger with superior speed on a jaunt through some lost and then past an unactivated pod always makes me laugh. just some aliens chilling out right up until some goober with a bright green haircut and stupid pants sprints by, and suddenly they find themselves covered with zombie.

only problem is that the layouts are way imbalanced to have lost spawn near advent to start since vanilla doesn't have them tageting each other like that

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's almost like the devs playtested it out to find that the increased player aggro was balanced and fun when considered against all the other stuff going on.

I suspect that those Lost-rebalancing mods are based around someone hearing about the aggro split someone found in code and not being able to let it go due to brain worms, rather than any complaints arising from the missions themselves. I personally found Lost missions to be plenty of fun and always ascribed Lost targeting to "eh, oh well".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
advent respond to lost attacks way, way, WAY worse than players do for obvious reasons a 'fair' aggression distribution disproportionately affects the AI. you can already shepherd them around almost trivially if you have a reaper present just because you can get close enough to spot/activate a pod of each, and then they have no choice but to fight one another.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Yeah it's very much weighted towards your folks because otherwise large portions of the game are watching lost colpletely overwhelm ADVENT and turning every sitrep with the Lost into 'the Horde' Sitrep.

Third parties are great but with the right setup, they also become super easy to use as a blocking force that can trigger and kill a lot of ADVENT for you. It's a classic tactic, and in general they're good for at least a pod of ADVENT troops, depending on which faction is showing up. Some factions can and will show up with a single big pod, and those are a real doomstack.

I still think a 50/50 targeting is fine, but with mutiple factions I'm looking at a lot of possible situations that will never come up in a normal WOTC game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Furism posted:

WotC was the original "XCOM2 in the Marvel universe", in that sense (ok I'm exaggerating).

I don't think you are. The common response to WotC was 'oh it's xcom but they've made your soldiers into superheroes'.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
LWoTC removes the headshot mechanic from Lost on anything above the easy difficulty if you want to see how "fun" that gets.

I can't recall what they decided on doing with the aggro balance of Lost vs the advent AI though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Honestly I think 50/50 Lost targeting would be perfectly fine if a) ADVENT Purifiers were much more likely to set (more) terrain on fire with their attacks, and b) pods in Lost missions had a high chance to spawn with a Purifier tacked on (since their whole purpose is to combat the Lost).

This wouldn't necessarily improve ADVENT's chances a great deal, but it could make Lost missions more hectic, stressful, and fun due to half the loving city being on fire and the streets teeming with Lost investigating all the exploding Purifier sounds :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
purifiers have DISMAL accuracy so they're actually surprisingly bad against the lost

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, hence the increased fire chance - Lost are really stupid and love to run through fire to attack stuff, at which point they instantly panic and run around everywhere adding to the general mayhem until they die

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Smith Comma John posted:

LWoTC removes the headshot mechanic from Lost on anything above the easy difficulty if you want to see how "fun" that gets.

I can't recall what they decided on doing with the aggro balance of Lost vs the advent AI though.

LWoTC does set it back to 50/50, and as noted Lost tend to spawn closer to Advent than your soldiers so removing the headshot mechanic cuts both ways. Also it's kind of fun to watch the Chosen get beaten up by zombies.

It does mean you have to take packs of Lost much more seriously and actually avoid explosives on lost maps, plus you definitely don't want to get bogged down as the numbers of lost keep increasing and they will overwhelm you much sooner than in Vanilla.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

If you're ever lucky enough to see Lost and an Alien Ruler on the same map, make sure to sit back and enjoy the show. I once watched the Berserker Queen lose almost half of her health when she got surrounded by Lost and couldn't retaliate because I was in concealment and so she couldn't take any actions.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Serephina posted:

It's almost like the devs playtested it out to find that the increased player aggro was balanced and fun when considered against all the other stuff going on.

yeah, it's almost like it's a mod created by someone other than the original developers for a new fun variation and not for balance

Torchlighter posted:

Third parties are great but with the right setup, they also become super easy to use as a blocking force that can trigger and kill a lot of ADVENT for you. It's a classic tactic, and in general they're good for at least a pod of ADVENT troops, depending on which faction is showing up. Some factions can and will show up with a single big pod, and those are a real doomstack.

yeah, i think a version of 3-party missions balanced for this is what i really want in the next game. i would love to have it require actual strategic maneuvering to put the other two into conflict, and with them attempting to do the same to you. vanilla lost missions are fun, but even well before you have a squad and a half of colonels with expanded magazines, free reloads, and decent aim, the lost stop being much more than a speedbump so it's fun to get onto a map with absolute chaos happening as all the pods activate and start blowing things up.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
XCOM2 is coming to Android. Have fun and enjoy this perfectly optimized game drain your battery at record speeds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_juuMwe3M

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would have bought this on iOS if it had proper mouse and keyboard support. Would love to play this on the go. I did a mission just now during lunch using Steam Link and it was ok but my connection can be spotty at times.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

CaptainViolence posted:

yeah, it's almost like it's a mod created by someone other than the original developers for a new fun variation and not for balance

yeah, i think a version of 3-party missions balanced for this is what i really want in the next game. i would love to have it require actual strategic maneuvering to put the other two into conflict, and with them attempting to do the same to you. vanilla lost missions are fun, but even well before you have a squad and a half of colonels with expanded magazines, free reloads, and decent aim, the lost stop being much more than a speedbump so it's fun to get onto a map with absolute chaos happening as all the pods activate and start blowing things up.

So with a couple of mods, you can achieve this, although probably not in the way you're thinking. The AI isn't really smart enough to try and maneuver you into a position to get discovered, sadly, since even the third party works of the same pods and activation rules as ADVENT, so they just patrol until they hit an enemy pod.

What you can do is use the 'Yellow Alert' series of mods( Yellow Alert 2.0, Raiders and Resistance Spawning and Dynamic Encounter Zones). These will, with some minor config editing, give you that more dynamic combat, since it'll set spawn points in such a way that you have to avoid running into the third party on your infiltration and will probably hit the objective at around the same time as them, but they'll blunder right into ADVENT setting them on alert almost instantly. You don't get revelaed, but trying to plan out an ambush becomes a much tougher approach when the enemies aren't simply patrolling in a slower more predictible pattern. I've had a number of retaliation missions that have gone south almost immediately because third party pods hve activated multiple pods of ADVENT and the rules about taking time to murder civvies still hold somewhat.

This has the side benefit of making stealth a more tactical choice, since pods can actually patrol in a way that lets you bypass them. I personally have found it a better system than the base game 'line of play'. If you're worried about third parties wiping out all the enemies and thus finishing without having to fight them, there's also a faction anchor around that makes sure you have to clear the map, you know if you're feeling particularly like pain.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just brutally lost a rescue mission, costing me 2 of my best (at the time) soldiers, because the third soldier missed every. Single. loving. Shot. (None under 77%) So now I’m crippled and mad but determined to somehow turn this around.

I remember why I love this game. Nothing else comes close to making me this loving mad. I still feel like I’m not tackling on research correctly. I try to go for the ones that take a few days before taking on the longer ones but maybe I should be rushing magnetic weapons before anything else at the start?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Akratic Method posted:

No, unless you've got the Wild Hunt (I think that's the name?) dark event going that ramps up the frequency of appearance a lot.

i think something is hosed up then cause the hunter is just spawning in every single mission, despite me killing him every time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i think something is hosed up then cause the hunter is just spawning in every single mission, despite me killing him every time.

yeah a specific chosen is supposed to have a minimum of a 2 mission cooldown after you kill them, 50% chance of a 3 mission cooldown. verify your files. the game is prone to poo poo like this, at one point i had a bug in my soldiers' shooting accuracy (literally one in one hundred thousandth percentile probability in the string of misses, i did a binomial regression to check thinking) that immediately remedied itself upon finding 2 bad files and re-downloading them.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Somehow my xcom 2 is running WAY better today than it has...ever? Faster loads too. Not sure if it's because I reset my video drivers or because i disabled some mods but drat I'll take it!

edit: here's the mods i disabled, if anyone else is having excess loadtimes maybe see if you have these

I believe I read something about lifetime stats maybe conflicting with something else so i suppose it possibly was that

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 23, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

CaptainViolence posted:

That's great, and I hope you keep having good fun with it, but this was all in relation to "QoL mods for a first WOTC run, nothing to crazy please". The Lost are well-thought-out, messing with their scripting puts the mod firmly into the 'zany' catagory.

edit:

Light Gun Man posted:

Somehow my xcom 2 is running WAY better today than it has...ever? Faster loads too. Not sure if it's because I reset my video drivers or because i disabled some mods but drat I'll take it!
When I first installed 'Stop wasting my Time' my frame rate in the avenger went up 10fps. No I don't loving know why, but I sure as poo poo wasn't gonna mess with it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 23, 2021

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

this sounds great, thank you for the recommendations!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

freedom force was great, but part of the appeal was also that you could create your own heroes and scenarios in that game.

a marvel xcom might be fun, but it's gonna be a much more linear, bolted down experience like chimera squad was. and unlike chimera squad, you're dealing with characters that everyone is already super familiar with, so there's not gonna be the same level of surprises in terms of advancement of their gear and abilities. so you're looking at a like, 8 hour fun turn based game instead of something like xcom where you can spend hundreds of hours in it.

edit: its been a while since i played xcom, are the chosen meant to appear in every single loving mission?

And the mouse is likely riding herd pretty hard, and is likely to demand stupid poo poo.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Coolguye posted:

yeah a specific chosen is supposed to have a minimum of a 2 mission cooldown after you kill them, 50% chance of a 3 mission cooldown. verify your files. the game is prone to poo poo like this, at one point i had a bug in my soldiers' shooting accuracy (literally one in one hundred thousandth percentile probability in the string of misses, i did a binomial regression to check thinking) that immediately remedied itself upon finding 2 bad files and re-downloading them.

curses, i verified but everything was fine.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Everyone who was doomposting about the marvel xcom game that was not shown at e3 now has to say “sorry bogart”

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bogart posted:

Everyone who was doomposting about the marvel xcom game that was not shown at e3 now has to say “sorry bogart”

i said something like this after DOS2 definitive edition came out. a small fistful of people had clowned on me relentlessly for saying that there were too many magic resists in the original edition, and an open letter from Larian said "yeah, there's too many magic resists in the game. that was an oversight, our bad". when i quoted it and said "i told you so idiots" the only thing that happened was like 3 people developed a literal years-long posting grudge against me.

what i'm saying is i respect your optimism

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Xcom2 releases on Android July 13.

I'm so torn, I love this game but I'm not sure if I can go back without mods.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bogart posted:

Why, did some info come out?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chairchucker posted:

Why, did some info come out?

no, nothing came out, implying that the entire thing is a nothingburger

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bogart posted:

Are you saying we're worried about a product that will never exist, or that the product exists, but we shouldn't naysay until we have definitive proof of its jank via a trailer? An important distinction, and 'game journalists' keep putting out articles confirming its existence, so...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
*slams table* DEVIL'S! PROOF! DEVIL'S! PROOF! DEVIL'S! PROOF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How important is it I start searching for the templars and/or hunt the assassin? Game’s throwing a lot my way and I don’t want to get caught off guard (more than I already am)