Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

hbag posted:

cruelty squad is a very good game
like incredibly good
go loving buy it immediately
you're going to look at the game store page and look at the videos and think "what the gently caress? this game looks like crap. what the hell is going on with the UI? what's with the music? is this a meme?"

the problem is that you've never used your eyes and ears before and your mind is overloaded. once you get used to it, everything makes perfect sense. game is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lodin posted:

Ok, maybe unpopular Final Fantasy 9 opinion here: What the hell is up here?

It looks like she's loving naked! Most of the promo art for the game would be crap print and you wouldn't be able to tell the colour schemes apart. Why did no-one at Square point this out? It's terrible! loving hell!

seems like they also designed some cycling equipment

:nws:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jokes posted:

It was the first place I was able to play FFV and it’s the best final fantasy, soooo

Shame on you for not playing it on emulator first

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you didn't play all the snes final fantasies in 2002 on a zsness emulator which didn't work properly then i don't really know what to tell you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fridge corn posted:

Shame on you for not playing it on emulator first

At that age I was regularly opening the PS1 before turning the power off, and lost a shitload of progress from forgetting to save before I mash the power button on the console. I was definitely too stupid to use an emulator. I've definitely played all the old final fantasies on emulators since then, and it is by far the most superior way to play them (because of fast forward especially).

I think that's why I press "save" a thousand times on work documents.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Talkc posted:

Scrolling down to see this was a literal spit-take.

I somehow keep skipping 9 and i think theres the proof in the pudding why i keep missing it somehow. Good Lord.

I only skipped FF9 on the way of playing 7-12 when they came out. I went back to play it last year and I was extremely not impressed. Easily my least favorite FF of the ones I've played. Some people say it's more like the pre-7 FFs and I guess that would make sense because it felt nothing like the others.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm both a big fan and critic of FF XV and the twinks in it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you didn't play all the snes final fantasies in 2002 on a zsness emulator which didn't work properly then i don't really know what to tell you

First time I played ff5 it took me forever to get through the ship graveyard cuz the emulator wouldn't display transparent layers properly so everytime you went under the water the character sprite disappeared completely lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's for enhanced difficulty.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

First time I played ff5 it took me forever to get through the ship graveyard cuz the emulator wouldn't display transparent layers properly so everytime you went under the water the character sprite disappeared completely lol

lmao exact same thing happened to me with chrono trigger when you go to the future and the haze wasn't transparent so the whole screen was clouds, but i figured out how to turn off sprite layers in the emulator

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao exact same thing happened to me with chrono trigger when you go to the future and the haze wasn't transparent so the whole screen was clouds, but i figured out how to turn off sprite layers in the emulator

Look at this fool who didn't know how to turn off layers.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Phigs posted:

I only skipped FF9 on the way of playing 7-12 when they came out. I went back to play it last year and I was extremely not impressed. Easily my least favorite FF of the ones I've played. Some people say it's more like the pre-7 FFs and I guess that would make sense because it felt nothing like the others.

I think when you play the games has a big impact. I still had an imagination and was more or less carefree when 7, 8, 9 came out and I played them. So I associate those games with youth and being happy and I remember their worlds real fondly. I still think I like Final Fantasy but every time I try to go back, even with the stupid shiny remake, it just doesn't click anymore.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Ff XV is the only Final Fantasy that I've finished besides FF7R, I like it a lot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

what a scrub. in emulators you can turn off individual layers and find all the secret passages in FF5

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The thing you have to remember about JRPGs is that for a long time they were the only way to play a console game with a long involved story and a cast of characters due to hardware limitations at the time. All the things that made them fun and unique (story, leveling up your stats and equipment, dialogue options, huge inventory of items, multiple endings, etc) eventually made their way to other genres. There was even a transition period where every game was described as "[genre name] with RPG elements!"

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

is pepsi ok posted:

The thing you have to remember about JRPGs is that for a long time they were the only way to play a console game with a long involved story and a cast of characters due to hardware limitations at the time. All the things that made them fun and unique (story, leveling up your stats and equipment, dialogue options, huge inventory of items, multiple endings, etc) eventually made their way to other genres. There was even a transition period where every game was described as "[genre name] with RPG elements!"

We're actually living in the period where every game from a major studio is a clone of Far Cry 3, every indie game is a roguelike metroidvania, and the rpg elements described above are present in both.

Far Cry 3 is the omega of all games, the end result of trying to make every game open world with rpg elements. Every time a major studio tries to make a new game, it turns into Far Cry 3. What do you think happened to Cyberpunk and Metal Gear Solid V?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rutibex posted:

what a scrub. in emulators you can turn off individual layers and find all the secret passages in FF5

In my defense I was like 12 at the time and also an idiot, possibly

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chglcu posted:

FF9 is the last good one.

i think 10 was the last good one until 15 but 9 was the last great one. but then i guess there are only one or two great ones in that series anyway lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Slipways is fun. Kind of like a simplified Anno.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

XV is the only one I actually really like. Going on a long roadtrip with my gay boy band was lovely.

On that note, my unpopular video game opinion is that Mystic Quest has the best battle music of the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQ8sLO-vU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I really don't care for vtubers. Don't care for streaming in general but the animated mocap gimmick feels like a cheap way to add value.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

XV is the only one I actually really like. Going on a long roadtrip with my gay boy band was lovely.

Yeah, but I wish it could have maintained that energy from start to finish. Instead, the further you got into the story the less you could do and the more it showed that they slapped the game together at the last moment. I remember finding an entire unique, important looking underground laboratory area in a side quest, and having to find a unique boss... and nobody mentioned it afterwards. The romance, like Lunafreya, is very poorly fleshed out.

loving love the characters and their dynamic, but the entire game keeps reminding me that it could have been even better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Yeah, but I wish it could have maintained that energy from start to finish. Instead, the further you got into the story the less you could do and the more it showed that they slapped the game together at the last moment. I remember finding an entire unique, important looking underground laboratory area in a side quest, and having to find a unique boss... and nobody mentioned it afterwards. The romance, like Lunafreya, is very poorly fleshed out.

loving love the characters and their dynamic, but the entire game keeps reminding me that it could have been even better.

If you want your mind blown, FF7,8,9,10 all came out in about a 4 year period, and there was a 7 year gap between FF13 and FF15.

They somehow made the games worse and taking 3x longer to make and still come out like they didn't even properly finish it.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

What do you think happened to Cyberpunk

i don't think it ever had a chance though. the witcher 3 only got recognition because it had good graphics for an open world game and a lot of people liked the writing. the combat and movement were janky as poo poo
it went to cdpr's head and they actually thought they could just pull a rockstar style open world game with deep rpg mechanics and branching storylines out of their rear end
falling back to the lowest common denominator ubi open world model when reality caught up with them was their only option

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

and Metal Gear Solid V?

woops nvm can't believe i fell for this troll

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Lodin posted:

On that note, my unpopular video game opinion is that Mystic Quest has the best battle music of the series.

That and the boss music manage to carry the whole game :rock:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

I really don't care for vtubers. Don't care for streaming in general but the animated mocap gimmick feels like a cheap way to add value.
premium internet content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrUBY01BdY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's quite possibly the lowest form of "Entertainment" ever invented

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

cursed

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Its a bit strange isn't it, there's always an element of performance to twitch streamers but the vtuber thing just leans a bit far into that side for me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every vTuber I've listened to so far has a specific voice that I find baffling because I live and work in Japan and nobody I deal with sounds like that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're all wannabe voice actors who never made it in anime

That's like saying you've met several American businessmen and none of them looked like Rock "The Dwayne" Johnson

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Lodin posted:

Every RPG should have visible monsters and a hard limit to how many there are per level, it's perfect design

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Why is every popular vtuber a young looking anime girl?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You mean it's possible for it be something other than a young anime girl?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Not every

"Sega Is Reportedly Ready To Turn Sonic The Hedgehog Into A VTuber - GameSpot" https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/sega-is-reportedly-ready-to-turn-sonic-the-hedgehog-into-a-vtuber/1100-6493201/

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Vic posted:

Not every

"Sega Is Reportedly Ready To Turn Sonic The Hedgehog Into A VTuber - GameSpot" https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/sega-is-reportedly-ready-to-turn-sonic-the-hedgehog-into-a-vtuber/1100-6493201/

That's more like it. I want to watch sonic, or a sentient hamburger or something. Not anime children.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Will it be teeth sonic, or no-teeth sonic?

Edit: Can't believe Nintendo doesn't have a Pikachu vtuber

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Because it's what people want to gently caress

Vic posted:

Not every

Case in point

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zkFEKmZdw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

so.... no teeth then