Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

njsykora posted:

You don't need an SSD heatsink, especially since most motherboards now will have one built in.

my mobo has 3 slots, top slot came with shroud and I don't like the way it fits onto the drive, I got that same WDblack with shroud in the bottom slot, I want to use the middle slot but my GPU blocks any shroud, so would have to go naked. I wish they would place the slots away from PCI area somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Flash wants to be hot to begin with, unless you're really, really hammering it.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Hey I built a computer like 2 years ago. It's getting a little sluggish for what i'm doing right now. A bit of docker, automated browsers, maybe elastic search, and sometimes overwatch but on Ubuntu. I want to upgrade to a new box.

- A high end chip that doesn't have insane diminishing returns
- 32GB Ram
- USB-C on the front panel if possible

Does this make sense?

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X for the chip?

I need to start at the chip then I'll figure out the mobo/rest.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
A oot of motherboards have a usb-c header for front panel USB-C. But it is a different header from USB 3 so make sure the motherboard has it. Cases are easy to find as well. Fractal Design cases are great to build in, and the compact cases usually still fit an ATX motherboard and can be found for under $100.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

A 2080 is one of the best cards on the market, given that any RTX GPU is basically a Dragon Ball at this point...

If it were my 2080, I'd just build a $1000 rig around it, something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($171.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $987.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-19 02:30 EDT-0400

How concerned do I have to be about the warnings that this is throwing up? I don't understand the bios flashing and how to avoid needing to do that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bios flashing nowadays is extremely easy, you put a zip file on a USB stick, plug it into the motherboard with nothing else but power connected and press the button on the back. That said I expect most B-550 motherboards at this point should have the Zen 3 bios installed already.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motherboard flashing is extremely easy IF you have another computer that you can use to put stuff on the USB. Just so you aren't stuck calling a friend or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My Asus B550-F came preflashed with a Zen 3-capable bios back in December, despite the warnings on the store page. Most motherboard manufacturers will use the latest BIOS when flashing them in the factory, and stock has been moving quickly enough that I'm sure no one has any 2020 stock sitting around.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

5436 posted:

Hey I built a computer like 2 years ago. It's getting a little sluggish for what i'm doing right now. A bit of docker, automated browsers, maybe elastic search, and sometimes overwatch but on Ubuntu. I want to upgrade to a new box.

- 32GB Ram

Does this make sense?

What is your current build? Might help us determine what you should upgrade to and if it's worth it or where you can improve.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Target Practice posted:

How concerned do I have to be about the warnings that this is throwing up? I don't understand the bios flashing and how to avoid needing to do that.

It depends on the board. My Asrock B550 shipped with an outdated bios but it was pretty easy to put the newest bios on a usb stick and boot into the UEFI to flash it with the incompatible processor installed. I assume that MSI is the same.

Be smarter than me and download the newest bios BEFORE you rip the computer apart and install the new motherboard :v:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Any recommendation on a PCI-E bluetooth receiver? I'd like to pair some headphones to my computer and don't have a need for wifi as I'm wired in, wifi isn't a dealbreaker if it's the same cost as without.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

change my name posted:

So, I upgraded my Corsair TX550M Gold PSU to a secondhand Corsair RM650 Gold when I rebuilt my PC and lately it's been making a really annoying staticky buzzing/clicking sound that's bugging the hell out of me. Apparently this could be either coil whine, a damaged transformer failing to filter power properly, my MOBO's low-power CPU management, because I've plugged it into a cheapo power strip (not the case, I moved over directly to a grounded wall socket and it's still making that noise), or "totally normal". Any suggestions?

Update: switched the PSU back on my lunch break and in addition to being quieter, my GPU is now running much cooler because the power supply is so much smaller (more air can come through the perforated shroud). Oh well, guess that's what I get for buying secondhand to save $20...

I don't have any suggestions for the power supply but there's some EVGA bronzes on sale for prime day if you just want a new one:
https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Supply-100-BP-0710-K1/dp/B08N4NV5HM/

I'd see about RMAing the RM650 if it's doing weird stuff.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

5436 posted:

- 32GB Ram

Does this make sense?

This depends entirely on what your bottleneck is.

Next time the unit is sluggish, pop open task manager and look at ram/cpu utilization and see how badly each is pegged. I’d be surprised if a 2 year old CPU was struggling on that workload unless you went really bargain.

My assumption based on the data you provided is you just need more ram, and you can probably just bump to 32/64gb and upgrade the rest in a year or two (which is almost always the better option)

Target Practice posted:

As long as the motherboard supports bios flashback (or whatever each manufacturer calls it), it’s very easy. Just make sure the board supports it and you’ll be good. Almost all non garbage boards support it now.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What is your current build? Might help us determine what you should upgrade to and if it's worth it or where you can improve.

Ryzen 5 3600 I think.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This depends entirely on what your bottleneck is.

Next time the unit is sluggish, pop open task manager and look at ram/cpu utilization and see how badly each is pegged. I’d be surprised if a 2 year old CPU was struggling on that workload unless you went really bargain.

My assumption based on the data you provided is you just need more ram, and you can probably just bump to 32/64gb and upgrade the rest in a year or two (which is almost always the better option)

I think you are right on the ram, I'll start there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

5436 posted:

I think you are right on the ram, I'll start there.

Don’t just buy it and hope though.

This is a pretty easy thing to check.

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
Does this build look good for mostly gaming/general usage? My build is now ancient so I am fine spending more on the 5800x, higher end gpu, and the nicer case. The platinum power supply is the same price as the gold one right now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($399.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($83.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card whenever this (or more likely the next gen at this point) comes in stock to replace my aging 970.
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1182.85

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

5436 posted:

Ryzen 5 3600 I think.

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and say probably RAM too. A 5600x isn't a worthwhile upgrade for what you are doing. Check the RAM usage when you are maxed out with your tasks that you regularly do.

And your current chip isn't even 2 years old yet. Released in Q3 2019.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Don’t just buy it and hope though.

This is a pretty easy thing to check.

The issue is sometimes my computer just locks up completely so I can't see the metrics. I have noticed I get to 13GB ram pretty quickly and I assume that might be cause. I assume the purchase won't be a waste either way, I am running a lot of browsers and they use about 1-2GB each.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rexxed posted:

I don't have any suggestions for the power supply but there's some EVGA bronzes on sale for prime day if you just want a new one:
https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Supply-100-BP-0710-K1/dp/B08N4NV5HM/

I'd see about RMAing the RM650 if it's doing weird stuff.

I bought it off of Reddit so I don't think i can send it back to Corsair, sadly, even though it came in the original box with everything.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Secret Agent Cow posted:

Does this build look good for mostly gaming/general usage? My build is now ancient so I am fine spending more on the 5800x, higher end gpu, and the nicer case. The platinum power supply is the same price as the gold one right now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($399.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($83.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card whenever this (or more likely the next gen at this point) comes in stock to replace my aging 970.
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1182.85

What resolution are you playing at?

Anything above 1080p and you’re probably wasting your money on a 5800x vs 5600x.

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

What resolution are you playing at?

Anything above 1080p and you’re probably wasting your money on a 5800x vs 5600x.

Yeah looking at this you are 100% correct, that is absolutely not worth the extra 100$ (or more including the non-stock fan). I plan on playing at 1440p or 4k once I get my new gpu eons from now. I also don't plan on overclocking FWIW.

How does this look (I also changed the mobo down a bit):

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Total: $1002.86

Secret Agent Cow fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 22, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Secret Agent Cow posted:

Yeah looking at this you are 100% correct, that is absolutely not worth the extra 100$ (or more including the non-stock fan). I plan on playing at 1440p or 4k once I get my new gpu eons from now. I also don't plan on overclocking FWIW.

How does this look (I also changed the mobo down a bit):

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Total: $1002.86

This looks fine.

3080s can run 4k, but not maxed settings, so set correct expectations for yourself.

My personal assumption is with how good the 3000 series cards are, Nvidias next gen is going to be hot garbage. They always do this. Smashing success then get bare minimum performance gains and raise the price like crazy. It already started with the 3080ti (3-10% MAX gains for $500 extra dollars).

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

This looks fine.

3080s can run 4k, but not maxed settings, so set correct expectations for yourself.

My personal assumption is with how good the 3000 series cards are, Nvidias next gen is going to be hot garbage. They always do this. Smashing success then get bare minimum performance gains and raise the price like crazy. It already started with the 3080ti (3-10% MAX gains for $500 extra dollars).

Yeah, I am pretty sure I was victim of this cycle with my 970 as it was infamously advertised with 4gb of fast vram that was actually 3.5gb, then the 1000 series blew it out of the water. It's more about being able to even buy the dumb gpus without paying 200$ over msrp but I guess that's what the thread title is about. Thanks for the help!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

tehinternet posted:

Any recommendation on a PCI-E bluetooth receiver? I'd like to pair some headphones to my computer and don't have a need for wifi as I'm wired in, wifi isn't a dealbreaker if it's the same cost as without.

I've been using this: https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ac58bt-pci-express/p/N82E16833320386?Item=N82E16833320386

Works great for Wifi and Bluetooth!

edit: you do need a free USB connector on your motherboard to use the BT! :eng101:

Target Practice posted:

As said before, most boards will already be upgraded to the new BIOS. You probably won't have to do anything. Worst-case, check the motherboard's manual for the specific instructions, but the general procedure is to load the new BIOS on a USB, stick that USB into a specific USB slot on the back of the mobo, then start the system (sometimes without any CPU installed) and load the new BIOS in. Takes 5-10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Got my micro center build today. I felt like the angry old man that I am because of the rgb lighted stuff that I don't really care for. Then I realized there's a setting that lights the fans according to your CPU temps, so my science nerd appreciates it.

Most frustrating part of getting it going was the 1 hour and 50 minutes I spent with Microsoft support (after it taking me 10 minutes to find an actual number) to transfer my win 10 license over.

Man, I forgot what it's like to open up a game and everything just...works without me turning all the graphics options to minimum.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I was researching case fan options and decided on static pressure fans for filtered intakes. I used Noctua's product specs to create a line graph showing static pressure vs loudness for different RPMs and models. I converted dBA to mPa to better illustrate linear comparisons (0 dBA = 0.02 mPa, 20 dBA = 2 mPa).

It looks like the NF-F12 is the best choice, but what surprises me is that Noctua's 120mm fans are better than 140mm for quiet pressure. Note that Noctua currently does not have static pressure 140mm fans, only general use. Even the trusty NF-P12 redux outperforms most at low RPMs. Noctua's roadmap currently slates 'next-gen 140mm fan' for Q4 2021, so I wonder if we'll see 140mm static pressure fans next year?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 22, 2021

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Mom needs a new AIO desktop PC. She's a basic user--MSOffice, Amazon, Gmail and such. Any recommendations or deals out there?

20"-25"
Touchscreen
Webcam/mic
Disc drive
Prefer SSD, 256GB is more than enough

Budget of $500-650 preferred

Would consider a refurbished unit if there's a great deal.

After a couple hours of searching, this seems like my best bet so far:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-22-AIO-Celeron-Blue-4GB-256GB-Desktop-All-In-One/242555856?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

I never bought anything expensive from Walmart that didn't end up in the trash in 18 months. Would a PC from them be safe from their awful quality?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Got my micro center build today. I felt like the angry old man that I am because of the rgb lighted stuff that I don't really care for. Then I realized there's a setting that lights the fans according to your CPU temps, so my science nerd appreciates it.

Most frustrating part of getting it going was the 1 hour and 50 minutes I spent with Microsoft support (after it taking me 10 minutes to find an actual number) to transfer my win 10 license over.

Man, I forgot what it's like to open up a game and everything just...works without me turning all the graphics options to minimum.

Agreed on the old man front - I caved and got a glass panel case because that seemed to be the best case design option and I couldn't get one that was opaque. I managed to escape my build without RGB fans and RGB memory, but my GPU had a bunch of RGB customization options. I turned the light off....

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021
I'm genuinely curious. Is there just, like, no such thing as gaming prebuilts that don't resemble spaceships anymore? It feels like non-RGB computers is a bigger niche than it ever was

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 22, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hiraeth posted:

I'm genuinely curious. Is there just, like, no such thing as gaming prebuilts that resemble spaceships anymore? It feels like non-RGB computers is a bigger niche than it ever was

Maybe not prebuilt, but weird cases are still very much a thing. Here's Gamers Nexus reviewing a straight up spaceship case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4kABsIzuE

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's still Alienware (don't buy Alienware) and stuff like the Corsair one.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

njsykora posted:

Maybe not prebuilt, but weird cases are still very much a thing. Here's Gamers Nexus reviewing a straight up spaceship case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4kABsIzuE

Ha, ha. I remember hearing about literal spaceship case from a friend of mine. Probably was during the same conversation that gun motherboard was also brought up

I know that the general consensus pre-G5 was to buy a Dell tower and throw a GPU (Good loving luck) into it if you were really aiming for that unassuming looking "bargain bin/no effort" PC that you can play games on, with expectations that they won't look or run much better than they would if you had just played them on a 360 or PS3. I was wondering if there was even an equivalent to something like that now. Maybe throwing dual channel memory into a PC like this? I mean, provided that the OEM didn't lock the computer down to the point where it can only accept hyper-specific memory modules. Just a thought

Also had to edit the original post I made because obviously I forgot to proofread since stupid looking über-gamer cases are actually the absolute last thing I want

Hiraeth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 22, 2021

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

holy poo poo lol.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ProperCoochie posted:

Mom needs a new AIO desktop PC. She's a basic user--MSOffice, Amazon, Gmail and such. Any recommendations or deals out there?

20"-25"
Touchscreen
Webcam/mic
Disc drive

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-22-AIO-Celeron-Blue-4GB-256GB-Desktop-All-In-One/242555856?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

I never bought anything expensive from Walmart that didn't end up in the trash in 18 months. Would a PC from them be safe from their awful quality?

Look on eBay for a rotated-out corporate unit.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

ProperCoochie posted:

20"-25"
Touchscreen
Webcam/mic
Disc drive

Yeah, like Kalman said, poke around ebay for a Dell Optiplex AIO, you can usually find refurbs from office liquidators for about the same price and they'll have more ram and non-Celeron CPUs. Plus they tend to be easier to upgrade/repair than consumer AIOs. Throw in an external disk drive and you're set.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
God drat Prime day has a Core i7-10700KF for $239.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MMS6FV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was gonna go AMD this upgrade cycle but I don't think I could pass this up at that price.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

pezzie posted:

God drat Prime day has a Core i7-10700KF for $239.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MMS6FV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was gonna go AMD this upgrade cycle but I don't think I could pass this up at that price.

gently caress Amazon, buy from a goon and save a few bucks

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970739&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd rather pay 4 bucks for it to be new and to not have to arrange buying it from a goon tbh.