Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

My dad had a Sawzall and he used it all the time since it did what it said on the tin. I’ve never really needed one but if I had one I suspect I would just start looking for places to use it. Kinda like my father-in-law and his Dremel.

I had to use one for a full 8 hour day and it absolutely destroyed my ability to grip anything for like 2 more days. I went to the bar afterward and literally could not pick up and hold a 16 oz can of beer in my right hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Atticus_1354 posted:

The boat in that video is the barge with the explosives. The ship being tested is farther away.

Specifically, the ship being tested is where the cameras taking that video are sitting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I had to use one for a full 8 hour day and it absolutely destroyed my ability to grip anything for like 2 more days. I went to the bar afterward and literally could not pick up and hold a 16 oz can of beer in my right hand.

Yeah that’s how you get vibration white finger.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

sigher posted:

Can someone explain to me how someone on one of these boats during a bomb test isn't just turbo hosed from it? I'm no science man but I'd imagine everything organic within that ship with an explosion that large would just be viscera.

From further upthread:

LanceHunter posted:

That looks a lot more insane if you think the barge is the aircraft carrier. Apparently the video was taken from the aircraft carrier.

The boat that gets obliterated isn't the one being tested. It's just a (presumably unmanned) barge. The test ship is some distance away.

EDIT: Oh, there was another page.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oooooh, okay, I thought they were just like, "Let's load up the top deck and blow some poo poo up!" It all makes sense now.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

sigher posted:

Can someone explain to me how someone on one of these boats during a bomb test isn't just turbo hosed from it? I'm no science man but I'd imagine everything organic within that ship with an explosion that large would just be viscera.

A man in Hiroshima was in the basement of a building 170 meters from ground zero and survived. If you have something between you and the shockwave it tends to help a lot.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To be clear, the recent video of the shock test did not involve any boats being obliterated and the video is from the ship being tested with people aboard who were fine despite being so close to the explosion. There's a little buoy like barge above a suspended exposive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-KC8RkREY

The videos of ships being bombed with live weapons do, however, involve obliteration to some degree.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 22, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

Good to know that's a thing. I ran a grinder for about 1.5 hours last week and my hands sucked for a few hours after. Same thing if I use a palm sander for too long on a larger project.

I don't do this stuff professionally, so I need to remember to take more frequent breaks.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Uthor posted:

Good to know that's a thing. I ran a grinder for about 1.5 hours last week and my hands sucked for a few hours after. Same thing if I use a palm sander for too long on a larger project.

I don't do this stuff professionally, so I need to remember to take more frequent breaks.

If you do it semi-regularly get some antivibration gloves. It's worth the $20 to protect your hands.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not super frequently, but I'll add them to my list and probably grab a pair next time I order from McMaster.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Professionals aren't just unusually hardy. Everybody's body is a piece of poo poo.

A vibrating tool has 'no code of ethics' or considerations for its own future. Use your brain. Use drugs PPE.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We've got a rule of 20 on 5 off minimum for vibrating tools in the shop. The longer you go the more breaks you take. Like eventually it's 10 on 10 off.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Atticus_1354 posted:

If you do it semi-regularly get some antivibration gloves. It's worth the $20 to protect your hands.

Yeah and not just tools!

I had a friend who rode a long bike race where the roads were poo poo. His hands got hosed from the handlebar’s vibrations and he couldn’t grip anything for DAYS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zedprime posted:

Professionals aren't just unusually hardy. Everybody's body is a piece of poo poo.

Wasn't implying hardiness, just length of use. I'm less worried using a grinder once a year than if I used it 40 hours a week.

Like I don't (usually) use ear pro at concerts I go to a few times a year, but I would if I was a musician playing shows every day.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Yeah and not just tools!

I had a friend who rode a long bike race where the roads were poo poo. His hands got hosed from the handlebar’s vibrations and he couldn’t grip anything for DAYS.

This is something I'm more concerned about! I need better bike gloves.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Uthor posted:

Like I don't (usually) use ear pro at concerts I go to a few times a year, but I would if I was a musician playing shows every day.

You should. They even make plugs just for this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

I have a set of plugs I wear to concerts, the kind for musicians where they're designed to dampen frequencies relatively evenly. Well worth it, imo, especially if you like death metal.

One time I lost one, and by the end of the show my hearing was noticably worse on that side. That's a pretty clear sign the plugs are a good idea.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jet Jaguar posted:

My dad had a Sawzall and he used it all the time since it did what it said on the tin. I’ve never really needed one but if I had one I suspect I would just start looking for places to use it. Kinda like my father-in-law and his Dremel.

I have an invasive growth problem in my yard and surrounding properties and me and my neighbors deduced that the fastest and easiest way to cut down the huge vines from the tree trunks was to sawzall them right off.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/A5dB8GE.mp4

:munch:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

You should. They even make plugs just for this.

I did go to a show where a local ENT office was giving out free ear pro with their contact into on the packaging. Good marketing!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Uthor posted:

This could be partly technique and equipment as well. I use a grinder a lot, if it's really shaking it usually means you've got an unbalanced disk, or you're not applying the right kind of downward pressure, or you're binding up in the cut, or you keep catching the edge of the piece and you get kickback. A good grinder with good wheels being used properly shouldn't be moving much more than it does running empty not touching anything. Which is still significant and can cause harm mind you but shouldn't cause major ill effects right away.

Part of your hands hurting can also be from the effort of just holding it up and moving it around. I used a larger than normal grinder for almost two hours once and I was fine except my right elbow was on fire later that evening, just from the stress of holding it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

that looks less OSHA and more “attempted homicide”

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

https://twitter.com/cheatngdeath/status/1406871486590164994

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Jet Jaguar posted:

It’s dremall.

Because it drems all.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

an oldie but a goodie

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/bvNqQVZ.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

High-stakes chicken game there

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZenL6yWcI
dammit shiey youre not supposed to walk under suspended loads

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

After a five week cross country motorcycle trip, I felt vibrations in my arms and hands for days and had a very difficult time with gripping things.

The body is not meant to vibrate, but I never knew there was a name for that thing.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

To be clear, the recent video of the shock test did not involve any boats being obliterated and the video is from the ship being tested with people aboard who were fine despite being so close to the explosion. There's a little buoy like barge above a suspended exposive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-KC8RkREY

The videos of ships being bombed with live weapons do, however, involve obliteration to some degree.

It's a float, with the charge suspended some distance below. The float is a complete loss, naturally.
The float, in turn, is being towed by an ocean tug.

The test ship has workers with laser theodolites tracking the float, so they know the relative position. Sometimes, if they need very precise positioning for some reason, they'll set up a shot where the test ship is stationary, with the float positioned by a three point cable rig running to the bow and stern of the test ship, and the tug tensioning the third leg.

As to how people could possibly survive that, they know how big the bomb is, and where it is, and keep it well outside the chunky salsa radius. They also know it's coming, and a ship wide announcement to "brace for shock" and a countdown. Hint: hold on to something solid, and don't lock your knees :sun: Watch the John Paul Jones video.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Deck slap is an interesting way people can get hosed up in that you probably have never heard of

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25895417/

quote:

'Deck-Slap' is an injury pattern first described at the Battle of Jutland;

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21808204/

quote:

Anti-vehicle mines and improvised explosive devices remain the most prevalent threat to coalition troops operating in Iraq and Afghanistan. Detonation of these devices causes rapid deflection of the vehicle floor resulting in severe injuries to calcaneus. Anecdotally referred to as a "deck-slap" injury, there have been no studies evaluating the pattern of injury or the effect of these potentially devastating injuries since World War II.

quote:

Forty calcaneal fractures (30 patients) were identified in this study. Mean follow-up was 33.2 months. The median New Injury Severity Score was 17, with the lower extremity the most severely injured body region in 90% of cases. Nine (30%) had an associated spinal injury. The overall amputation rate was 45% (18/40); 11 limbs (28%) were amputated primarily, with a further 3 amputated on return to the United Kingdom. Four (10%) casualties required a delayed amputation for chronic pain (mean, 19.5 months). Of the 29 calcaneal fractures salvaged at the field hospital, wound infection developed in 11 (38%). At final follow-up, only 2 (6%) were able to return to full military duty with 23 (76%) only fit for sedentary work or unfit for any military duty.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Oh cool! I didn't have a name for what my hand did after using a vibrating tool when removing grout.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

There has been a strain of thinking among some that surface vessels are deprecated and will all fair immediately the event of a large-scale, major-powers war. They can't really hide, and they can't outrun ICBMs, so if things were to ever get hot between the US and a country with a strong missile program then they'd all be sunk in the first day. I imagine tests like this are meant to counter that argument.

It's not real life but a group of flight sim people using a fairly detailed air combat sim have been trying to blow up a us carrier in a full carrier group with whatever than can think of to see what works.

It's pretty interesting to see just how absurd they have to get to clear (simulated) modern air defenses.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3kOAM2N1YJdV_JwZaN1yGScRAb_yUTHx

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

-Zydeco- posted:

It's not real life but a group of flight sim people using a fairly detailed air combat sim have been trying to blow up a us carrier in a full carrier group with whatever than can think of to see what works.

It's pretty interesting to see just how absurd they have to get to clear (simulated) modern air defenses.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3kOAM2N1YJdV_JwZaN1yGScRAb_yUTHx

"grim reapers" are incompetent morons in addition to being alt-right shitheads.

Also, extremely :ironicat: to anything related to ship damage modelling in DCS. It's a fun game, but ships are just blobs of hitpoints that works perfectly until they reach 0%.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Xakura posted:

Also, extremely :ironicat: to anything related to ship damage modelling in DCS. It's a fun game, but ships are just blobs of hitpoints that works perfectly until they reach 0%.

Spent some time in this "community" have we?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/cheatngdeath/status/1405457846485983233

had me going :stonk: irl

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Leon Sumbitches posted:

After a five week cross country motorcycle trip, I felt vibrations in my arms and hands for days and had a very difficult time with gripping things.

The body is not meant to vibrate, but I never knew there was a name for that thing.

try telling your mom that

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qZGMUP2.gifv

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Xakura posted:

Was enjoying the videos. Saw this. Exited tab.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Spent some time in this "community" have we?

yeah i like video games too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

gently caress SNEEP posted:

yeah i like video games too

wow. mods?