Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

One thing I know for sure

That's a loving ufo

absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Anakin always be losing his laser sword

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yea thats some weird poo poo. The red dot having no blur is... uh something!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

weird loving bird, that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This hits differently all of a sudden

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

reminds me of the wisconsin one with the long exposure cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTNOT-lsfI

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

we're being visited by the gallente I guess

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

We should pod them and take thier ore

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Objurium posted:

So I got permission to post whatever the gently caress the person I'm currently seeing caught on camera while taking long exposure shots of the night sky out near Mono Lake.

Initially I thought maybe she'd caught the ISS reflecting a glint or something but that scale doesn't make any sense? Also for a long exposure it's... Weird that it doesn't have the typical squiggly light streaks when stuff like Space X satellite launches get caught in night sky photography.

https://i.imgur.com/sfBewc8.mp4

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: fixed the video embed

Space orca

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

This hits differently all of a sudden

i think rods are probably born upright, built from the ground up as minerals are shepherded into newly constructed rods which then detach and go on their way

so they see refineries and such as potential rod nurseries they didn't know about

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

i think rods are probably born upright, built from the ground up as minerals are shepherded into newly constructed rods which then detach and go on their way

so they see refineries and such as potential rod nurseries they didn't know about

You joke but "Exotic Space Wildlife" would be a really loving cool explanation for UFOs. Wanna pet a space whale.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The exposure time makes or breaks it for me. If it's 10 seconds, I got nothing. 5 or less I think it's a plane + its navigation lights going off twice.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Protagonist posted:

they grow in massive clusters at the bottom of the ocean floor feeding off the mantle's energy like colossal tubeworms

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

reminds me of the wisconsin one with the long exposure cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTNOT-lsfI

I was hanging with her last night and we watched this one after I saw it posted in the thread. Maybe worth noting that the thing in Gymlan's video was photographed on June 13th, and so was hers 👽

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Log082 posted:

You joke but "Exotic Space Wildlife" would be a really loving cool explanation for UFOs. Wanna pet a space whale.

no joke, really at the point machines are advanced enough to locate and rearrange raw materials in order to duplicate themselves (potentially even making errors when doing so from time to time!) that sounds a lot like synthetic life

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

WEH posted:

The exposure time makes or breaks it for me. If it's 10 seconds, I got nothing. 5 or less I think it's a plane + its navigation lights going off twice.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Tekne posted:

they grow in massive clusters at the bottom of the ocean floor feeding off the mantle's energy like colossal tubeworms

yea probably

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

no joke, really at the point machines are advanced enough to locate and rearrange raw materials in order to duplicate themselves (potentially even making errors when doing so from time to time!) that sounds a lot like synthetic life

Yeah. I saw an idea once that there's an entire literal ecosystem of von Neuman probes out there, some preying on others for materials, others occupying certain niches based on their capabilities, etc. That would honestly be cool as gently caress.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Based on the leaves the camera is pointed within like 20 degrees of straight up, so is that the bottom of the ufo? Maybe that's what the underside of the cigar ones looks like

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Like no joke you are gonna get a MIB visit tell people close to you if you disappear this is why

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Log082 posted:

Yeah. I saw an idea once that there's an entire literal ecosystem of von Neuman probes out there, some preying on others for materials, others occupying certain niches based on their capabilities, etc. That would honestly be cool as gently caress.
i think someone did a simulation including defective predator and destroyer probes, and the conclusion was that they wouldn't prevent the regular ones from spreading throughout the cosmos

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Objurium posted:

I was hanging with her last night and we watched this one after I saw it posted in the thread. Maybe worth noting that the thing in Gymlan's video was photographed on June 13th, and so was hers 👽

:vince:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

also, check flight records from the time and location around the area just to rule that out

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Log082 posted:

oumuamua was a space whale doing hardcore parkour around our sun, it was so rad a move we cant even explain it even though we saw it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WEH posted:

:same:

Objurium posted:

:tinfoil:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WEH posted:

planes have wings bro

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

rods from gods

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Google Butt posted:

planes have wings bro

that is what I interpret the unbroken streaks as in the latter scenario, yes

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
im getting more and more irritated that ive only ever seen a weird light phenomena thats become a tourist thing, i wanna see the real deal and im out camping at least once a year and always watching the sky. i mean what the gently caress just give me a dot flying erratically at least

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

fanfic insert posted:

im getting more and more irritated that ive only ever seen a weird light phenomena thats become a tourist thing, i wanna see the real deal and im out camping at least once a year and always watching the sky. i mean what the gently caress just give me a dot flying erratically at least

i can show you some things in cali or arizona

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nichael posted:

we're being visited by the gallente I guess

poo poo have to empty my PI facilities in Syndicate

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/tm_eubanks/status/1407414469320491010?s=21

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

planes have wings bro

the white streaks could be flashing lights at a plane's wingtips. And the point of light in front of each set of streaks could be another light that flashes less frequently, alternating between red and yellow. And the unbroken streaks at the edges could be wing lights that don't flash. I don't know poo poo about airplane lights, and its been forever since i've been on a plane, but wikipedia says airplane lights include green and red wingtip lights that don't flash, along with white lights that do flash, as well as a flashing strobe on the tail, plus some other non-flashing lights here and and there for illuminating the wings and logos and stuff.

but yeah maybe aliens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Need to know that exposure time

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

fanfic insert posted:

closest thing i have for advice comes from the record: either go alone and isolated or with as big a group as possible there for the express purpose of skygazing to see weird poo poo

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Need to know that exposure time

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

exposing my sensitive membranes to turgid sky rod

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

unlike other common shapes the cylinder is often reported to have a discernible front and rear, which sometimes produces discharge

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Objurium posted:

So I got permission to post whatever the gently caress the person I'm currently seeing caught on camera while taking long exposure shots of the night sky out near Mono Lake.

Initially I thought maybe she'd caught the ISS reflecting a glint or something but that scale doesn't make any sense? Also for a long exposure it's... Weird that it doesn't have the typical squiggly light streaks when stuff like Space X satellite launches get caught in night sky photography.

https://i.imgur.com/sfBewc8.mp4

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: fixed the video embed

*x-files theme*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dolphin posted:

*x-files theme*

really weird bird dachshund