Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

i think you've basically got it as far as timing. take all this with a grain of salt cuz im far from expert; i'm mostly drawing from times i've had to leave my sourdough or pizza dough in the fridge for longer than expected, and in those cases it has always been just as good if not better.

Thanks! I want to try this anyway because I like the idea of making bread on my own timeline instead of being a slave to the bread.

edit: VVVV LOOKS AMAZING :D

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I made a bread that I am very happy with

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

redreader posted:

Thanks! I want to try this anyway because I like the idea of making bread on my own timeline instead of being a slave to the bread.

Take this with some skepticism since I mostly have no clue what I am doing but just sticking it in the fridge after it's been shaped and while it's on it's final rise and then pulling it and baking it when I am ready has worked perfectly fine for me every time I've tried it.

Is it maybe not as perfect a loaf as it could have been? No idea, seems fine.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Pulled this one out before work this morning, 20% khorasan flour and 70% hydration

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bolind posted:

Tried again, this time making extra sure that things were mixed top-to-bottom instead of just stirred. Same results...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the access to oxygen?

Try adding more flour than usual that looks wet. You don't want quite a paste but pretty close at first.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been on a flatbread kick

Really been enjoying having a nice flat bread in < 30 minutes

Also been having fun putting leftover curry into them and making curry puffs for lunch

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jestery posted:

I've been on a flatbread kick

Do you have opinions on Lebanese bread?

Also, how are you storing flatbread so it doesn't immediately turn harder than dinner plates?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you have opinions on Lebanese bread?

Also, how are you storing flatbread so it doesn't immediately turn harder than dinner plates?

No opinion on Lebanese bread I'm sorry beyond having had lavish bread growing nup and it being ok

I've mostly just been cooking roti as needed, and making dumplings with the remains of the dough. I have not been batch cooking and storing

I work with a couple indian ladies and I've been getting the goss on how to cook them right

I've heard that microwaving them with some water in/on/around them will revive them

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wrap in damp paper towel, nuke for 10 seconds or so

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Made bread:

Cinnamon Raisin sourdough made in a pullman. It was delicious, all gone now.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

That does look delicious

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Murgos posted:

Made bread:

looks amazing, also it looks like the oblivion logo

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

looks amazing, also it looks like the oblivion logo

LOL. It was supposed to be a spiral but obviously I need to work on that technique before I summon any Daedra.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Murgos posted:

Made bread:

That’s awesome! Any tips on getting it to full cuboid shape? My rises on pullmans have been falling a little bit short

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dacap posted:

That’s awesome! Any tips on getting it to full cuboid shape? My rises on pullmans have been falling a little bit short

:same: that's an impressive fill Murgos

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dacap posted:

Chard posted:

:same: that's an impressive fill Murgos

Increase the amount of dough you use and let it rise to just about the top when you put the lid on.

That loaf I actually had to punch down a bit (gently) to get the lid on.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Murgos posted:

Increase the amount of dough you use and let it rise to just about the top when you put the lid on.

That loaf I actually had to punch down a bit (gently) to get the lid on.

I’ve been letting it most of the way up but I think I was worried a touch about over proofing. I’ll try letting it go longer next time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Any good Pullman pan recipes? I wasn't impressed with the white toaster bread recipe I tried, my toaster burned it instantly and it was so plain. I don't have a sourdough starter but I'm willing to try whatever else.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can report that a Lodge Double Dutch Oven works well as a budget alternative to the Challenger Bread Pan. I would highly recommend picking one up, if you can live with only ever making boules (I sure can).

Just a basic 70% hydration wheat bread, whipped up quickly since I got the dutch oven today and wanted to try it out.

E: 500g bread flour, 350g water, 10g salt, 6g dry yeast, hand kneaded, raised for about an hour, then shaped and raised 45 minutes in a banneton before baking. As basic as basic gets.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
never heard of a challenger bread pan, do people like it?

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005

barkbell posted:

never heard of a challenger bread pan, do people like it?

It was the hot bread accessory at the start of lockdowns when baking was getting popular. My wife got me one - it's OK but I probably wouldn't recommend buying it:

1. It's a big heavy kitchen thing with only one use case.

2. The cast iron is seasoned but not enameled so you're not supposed to get it wet very much. This is at odds with steaming the first half of the bake (which I usually did with ice cubes just before closing the lid). Now mine has a layer of rust on the bottom. I could reseason it but I suspect it would happen again if I still tried to steam it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Point 1 is why I got the Lodge. It's much less expensive, plus it's also useful as a pot, a small skillet and a dutch oven, in addition to baking.

As for enameled vs seasoned cast iron, I've never had any rust issues with cast iron or carbon steel cookware. If a bit of water (or ice cubes) is enough to strip off the seasoning, that seems like there's something wrong with it, maybe it just isn't baked on very hard.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lol at this Challenger not being able to handle the icy conditions

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Lol at this Challenger not being able to handle the icy conditions

Oh, I like this one.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
IM GOING TO MAKE MORE SOURDOUGH BREAD SOON I WILL PROBABLY MAKE IT TOMORROW MORNING!!!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I AM BAKING SOURDOUGH BREAD RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that owns

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I wanted to try making a seeded loaf and got a bag of mixed seeds (pumpkin, flax, sesame, pumpkin).

What is a good proportion to mix into the dough % wise? I also read I should soak the seeds before incorporating?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dacap posted:

I wanted to try making a seeded loaf and got a bag of mixed seeds (pumpkin, flax, sesame, pumpkin).

What is a good proportion to mix into the dough % wise? I also read I should soak the seeds before incorporating?

I bought this stuff from King Arthur Baking and use it often. The packaging says 1/3 to 2/3 cup to each 3 cup flour recipe. I do not soak mine, but mine also doesn't contain large pumpkin seeds, so I'm not sure about that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

beerinator posted:

I bought this stuff from King Arthur Baking and use it often. The packaging says 1/3 to 2/3 cup to each 3 cup flour recipe. I do not soak mine, but mine also doesn't contain large pumpkin seeds, so I'm not sure about that.

I use that too and it's amazing

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Seeded loaf came out not bad, just letting it cool before I can get a look at the crumb

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Also made a bread again, cannot post it as we already ate it. The best bread.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

Seeded loaf came out not bad, just letting it cool before I can get a look at the crumb

Here’s that crumb:

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Dacap posted:

Here’s that crumb:

Looks pretty good!
Did you let the seeds soak first or did you just throw them in?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Malefitz posted:

Looks pretty good!
Did you let the seeds soak first or did you just throw them in?

I soaked them overnight with an equal amount of water by weight. I added during the 3rd (out of 4) set of stretch and folds.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Dacap posted:

I soaked them overnight with an equal amount of water by weight. I added during the 3rd (out of 4) set of stretch and folds.

Sounds good, that's what I usually got recommended.
Oh and do you pour off the excess water that doesn't soak in or do you add it to the dough, too?

I never figured out what would be the better way to do it and I have heard both ways...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I found there wasn’t any excess, it likely was because there was chia and flax seeds which are pretty absorbent. If there was excess I would have likely drained it or used less hydration earlier to account for it.

When I soaked them, I used hot water as well and let it go overnight

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 27, 2021

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I kind of burnt out from baking bread in the past few weeks, have been concentrating on Pizza more and my baking itch is mostly satisfied with that.

But when I go back to bread baking I want to do more bread with seeds and nuts. Whenever I tried it before I wasn't very happy with the results though. Too dry or too wet...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Malefitz posted:

But when I go back to bread baking I want to do more bread with seeds and nuts. Whenever I tried it before I wasn't very happy with the results though. Too dry or too wet...

Are you using a different recipe for the bread base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you using a different recipe for the bread base?

Not sure what you mean, different from what?
My go-to recipe nowadays is 100% rye flour so quite different from most of the breads posted in this thread