Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

If I was going to concoct the perfect chippy tea in my town it would involve going to three separate establishments. One for high quality and generously-portioned chips, one for vegan delights (battered pickles and tofish) and one for the best curry sauce (Chinese-style)
Guessing you mean Joe's for the chips (if that's still there), but the one at Cainscross absolutely blows them out of the water for fish :colbert:

e: to win 76-0 we need to score every 35 seconds for the entire second half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

What's the significance of June 25 anyway?

I'm all for having a national day that isn't just some religion dude that never set foot anywhere near here or some poo poo, but what even is the date supposed to be?

Just a day off work where I can drink? They could have given me more notice.

I've always felt it was weird that something like Trafalgar day or something isn't a big celebration of Britishness.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

EvilHawk posted:

I'm always very confused that chinese chippies aren't really a thing down south, because my local when I was growing up and my now-fiance's family chippy are both chinese as well so it just always seemed to be normal to me. Nothing better than chips and special fried rice imo

I can only speak for Reading and Basingstoke but both are full of Chinese/Cantonese chippies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they not do chips at the chinese takeaway down south?

I've never known anywhere that is like, a combination chinese food place and fish and chip shop, but I thought everywhere had chinese chips.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I remember reading bill brysons travelogue of the UK, and he described a combo chippy/Indian/Chinese in Thurso ran by two locals with no background in any kind of foreign food who enthusiastically tried their best and actually did decent business as at the time the only place in town that did takeaway

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I've never known anywhere that is like, a combination chinese food place and fish and chip shop, but I thought everywhere had chinese chips.

I'm at the Chinese Shop

I'm at the Fish and Chip Shop

I'm at the combination Chinese and Fish and Chip Shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

I am very Southern & also thought this was a universal thing

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

What's the significance of June 25 anyway?

I'm all for having a national day that isn't just some religion dude that never set foot anywhere near here or some poo poo, but what even is the date supposed to be?

Just a day off work where I can drink? They could have given me more notice.

In 1962, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that recitation of a state-sponsored prayer in New York State public schools was unconstitutional.

It's also National Catfish day too apparently.

I was thinking maybe as it's the day after Midsummer's Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LNEvCV837Y

(Yeah I know this was May but anyway)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Update on this: apparently the government have scheduled their day for indoctrinating kids on the importance of the union after scottish schools break up for holidays.

That is perfect.

That song has some real "lame attempt to be North Korea" vibes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Borrovan posted:

Guessing you mean Joe's for the chips (if that's still there), but the one at Cainscross absolutely blows them out of the water for fish :colbert:

e: to win 76-0 we need to score every 35 seconds for the entire second half

Big Fish up on Nelson Street for quantity of chips, Simpson's for the fancy vegan poo poo, Jolly Fryer in Cashes Green for lurid orange curry sauce.

Where is/was Joe's?

e: Fortune Takeaway in Cainscross has a door at the front for fish and chips and a separate one round the side for Chinese and they seem to operate different business hours. Very confusing but the chips from the Chinese side were very crispy and nice, from memory.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 22, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

keep punching joe posted:

"We call them buns."

And where was he from? hosed if I know. Bury or somewhere like that.

I think that's a 'vanishing tradition' thing rather than regional. Americans call flatbread muffins 'English muffins' because that's what muffins were here. See also 'cupcakes', which are also buns as far as I am concerned.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

I think that's a 'vanishing tradition' thing rather than regional. Americans call flatbread muffins 'English muffins' because that's what muffins were here. See also 'cupcakes', which are also buns as far as I am concerned.

I see you've played muffinbuncake before

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Maybe it's just the area where I moved to that it's unusual!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if there actually are combination chinese takeaways/fish and chippies then I think we should be pouring funding into them because imagine the kind of fish we could have if we applied chinese chip technology. Also I kinda want a fish and fried rice with sweet and sour now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

I am very Southern & also thought this was a universal thing

Might just be an east London thing but I can think of three round here - "proper" chippies in that they have the glass hot cabinets over the fryers, but also have a kitchen out the back where they do Chinese dishes, plus another chippy that was run by Chinese (well east Asian at least) people.

Now let's get really racist - the best chippies are in fact run by Greek Cypriots, with Italians coming a close second.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now let's get really racist - the best chippies are in fact run by Greek Cypriots, with Italians coming a close second.

Most of the chippers in Ireland are Italian

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was thinking maybe as it's the day after Midsummer's Day
That'd be a good fairly neutral day of observation if it weren't for that whole song thing.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

Big Fish up on Nelson Street for quantity of chips, Simpson's for the fancy vegan poo poo, Jolly Fryer in Cashes Green for lurid orange curry sauce.

Where is/was Joe's?
Nelson Street, nailed it

Googling around, most of the places I know aren't there anymore :( Apart from the High Street Chippy, which was always poo poo for everything apart from willingness to batter anything for 50p

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if there actually are combination chinese takeaways/fish and chippies then I think we should be pouring funding into them because imagine the kind of fish we could have if we applied chinese chip technology. Also I kinda want a fish and fried rice with sweet and sour now.

One of the chippies I just mentioned did do cod balls (stop that sniggering) fried in batter with sweet and sour sauce, and they were awesome. On reflection I realise that during my school days I probably continued going out with a girl because I used to meet her there rather than any particular thing she bought to the relationship.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That'd be a good fairly neutral day of observation if it weren't for that whole song thing.

It's the day the sun shines the longest on the British Isles so we get as close as possible to it never setting on the Empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the chippies I just mentioned did do cod balls (stop that sniggering) fried in batter with sweet and sour sauce, and they were awesome. On reflection I realise that during my school days I probably continued going out with a girl because I used to meet her there rather than any particular thing she bought to the relationship.

Imagine super crispy scampi with chinese rice.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've repeatedly told my fiance that one of the main reasons we're still together is the free food I get.

The power you feel walking into the back of the shop, straight to the counter and grabbing food whilst the waiting public look at me with intense jealously... it's intoxicating.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's the day the sun shines the longest on the British Isles so we get as close as possible to it never setting on the Empire.
I thought we still had that island somewhere that made that technically true. The one with all the nonces, I think

No, the other one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The sun still doesn't set on the British Empire due to the seasonal overlap between that island famous for being ruled by child molesters and Pitcairn.

e: ^^^ lmao :hfive:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

I've repeatedly told my fiance that one of the main reasons we're still together is the free food I get.

The power you feel walking into the back of the shop, straight to the counter and grabbing food whilst the waiting public look at me with intense jealously... it's intoxicating.

Lol no, this was just literally her school was around the corner so I'd bunk off and go meet her there at lunchtime. My mate did go out with a girl who worked the late shift at Cannon Street McDonalds, which was always absolutely deserted after 6pm, so we'd go an hang out there, normally behind the counter, of an evening, but that was about it.

To be honest that power of waltzing past queues into The Forbidden Zone is one of the big reasons I'm still doing volunteering at the vaccine centres. That I get to do it in hi-viz makes it all the more heady.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The sun still doesn't set on the British Empire due to the seasonal overlap between that island famous for being ruled by child molesters and Pitcairn.

e: ^^^ lmao :hfive:

I thought we'd dumped Pitcairn off on NZ now?

e: Just remembered that one of the contestants on The Chase this afternoon was going to use his winnings to go to Pitcairn, which was a pretty odd choice, or at least a pretty odd choice to talk about on national television.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Mega Comrade posted:

I can only speak for Reading and Basingstoke but both are full of Chinese/Cantonese chippies.

I grew up in Crowthorne (20 mins from Reading) and the town's main chippy used to be a combo Chinese takeaway/chippy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Just remembered that one of the contestants on The Chase this afternoon was going to use his winnings to go to Pitcairn, which was a pretty odd choice, or at least a pretty odd choice to talk about on national television.

I have always wondered if they are told what to say for those.
You never see many go 'for my life saving treatment', or 'my current debts'.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Last time I checked I could get awfully cooked chips from my local Chinese

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

I have always wondered if they are told what to say for those.
You never see many go 'for my life saving treatment', or 'my current debts'.

I'm sure they get asked that (and the other "banter" questions) as part of the pre-screening so you don't have someone saying "Well Bradley I want to use my winnings to buy one of those egg-laying dragon dildos".

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Had to turn the heating back on today (am in London). This summer is bollocks, I want my money back

Miftan posted:

Submit it when the doctor asks for your stool sample.

I rate this post a 6 on the Bristol Posting Chart

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We used to have an official Empire Day, didn’t we? I always thought it was odd they never made it into Commonwealth Day.

Oop, I looked it up and we did. But for some reason we don’t actually do anything for it? Seems like it would be an obvious thing for the Tories.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Comrade Fakename posted:

We used to have an official Empire Day, didn’t we? I always thought it was odd they never made it into Commonwealth Day.

Oop, I looked it up and we did. But for some reason we don’t actually do anything for it? Seems like it would be an obvious thing for the Tories.

Commonwealth implies equality with people from other countries with dark skin rather than ruling over them as an Empire, so obviously the Tories aren’t a fan.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Misty Fog posted:

Last time I checked I could get awfully cooked chips from my local Chinese

In my experience, most chinese takeaways used to serve chips that were dryer than those of a normal chippie, and had a vaguely cardboard-ish texture. To my partially anosmic self, these were absolutely wonderful.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm sure they get asked that (and the other "banter" questions) as part of the pre-screening so you don't have someone saying "Well Bradley I want to use my winnings to buy one of those egg-laying dragon dildos".

A... what? Can I get one in Wilko?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Back where I lived in Cambridge there was a chippy and a Chinese right next to each other and I'm pretty sure the same family owned both. Same energy.

Combo chippy/doner places even better tho.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Trickjaw posted:

A... what? Can I get one in Wilko?

Google "bad dragon" and introduce yourself to a world of tentacles and ovipositors (extremely NSFW, obv)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought we'd dumped Pitcairn off on NZ now?

NZ got a bunch of little islands in the nearby South Pacific but the Pitcairn group is still a British Overseas Territory, probably because it's so far from everywhere else and nobody else wants it and the international community is not charitable towards it being self governing.

It's supposedly a nice holiday destination for beaches and diving and boating and dark sky viewing and radio hobbies and other things that start to sound like code for noncing just because of the context, but it's such a pain to get to that it does raise questions.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Oof, 27 covid deaths today, which is ten more than this time last week. That's nearly a 40% increase.

This seems bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I do actually remember getting super excited when my mum and dad got Chinese takeaway because 'Chinese chips' as we called them were so much better than chippy chips, I guess because they may have been wok fried or something, idk, but they did have a very distinct taste that was bloody lovely