Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwf used to name their cruise the wrestle vessel, and one happened in 1997, which was after vince started to despise being considered wrestling. there was a commercial for it once where kevin kelly said that all the wrestlers were going to "bare it all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Saying the world "wrestle" in front of Vince would've gotten her fired immediately anyway

if she said "i sports entertain for fun", she'd have been punished for being a suckup and a mark

The only way to win a conversation with Vince is a cheap shot to the throat or nuts and then run off shouting "I win!"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

wwf used to name their cruise the wrestle vessel, and one happened in 1997, which was after vince started to despise being considered wrestling. there was a commercial for it once where kevin kelly said that all the wrestlers were going to "bare it all."

"Sports Entertainment Aquatic Containment" just doesn't have the same ring to it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
So is Nikki Cross aka the Electric Butterfly going to partner up with Pumaman at some point

Also: :laffo:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Peyton Royce was on Billie Kay's podcast and talked about the last meeting she had after the Iiconics breakup

Peyton Royce sounds like a perfectly reasonable person and it still pisses me the gently caress off both of them were broken up and fired.

The backstage harassment of Spud and them with the titles is still so loving funny.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I would tell Vince that I enjoy recreational cocaine and receiving lap dances from strippers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I would tell Vince that I enjoy recreational cocaine and receiving lap dances from strippers.

what are your feelings on steroids

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

rotinaj posted:

what are your feelings on steroids

THAT’S GOOD poo poo PAL!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Vince greets everyone the way the president greeted Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ganso Bomb posted:

"Sports Entertainment Aquatic Containment" just doesn't have the same ring to it

WWE Schoonerverse

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/-9F7jBwQsXk

Link to Jessica and Cassie's podcast. Highly relatable when it comes to dealing with huge life changes, mind set on not having a job and motivation.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Should’ve told Vince she just loves to have fun

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If your employer ever asks you anything about your personal life you will never go wrong by assuming it's a trap.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
In my spare time I enjoy driving city to city on my own dime at night, eating at Cracker Barrel and getting stalked by fans.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
"In my spare time, I'm just happy to be here"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"In my spare time, I'm just happy to be here"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You could write an angle about someone not having outside interests! You could write an angle about them being a dog mama, they literally did that with Nattie.

Backstage vignettes with other superstars and their weird hobbies, run it for weeks, it can easily be memorable. Need a payoff? Some big bully says “I got a hobby, training so I can whip your rear end.” Then they fight

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Nikki Cross as a superhero in the age of MCU poo poo looks as dumb and hokey as when sitcoms in the 80's and 90's used to do wrestling episodes with generic wrestler archetypes like "Professor Pain" or whatever.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Vince famously has zero outside interests outside of work.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Seams posted:

Vince famously has zero outside interests outside of work.

What is this "outside of work" you speak of

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Sugar Blaster posted:

Nikki Cross as a superhero in the age of MCU poo poo looks as dumb and hokey as when sitcoms in the 80's and 90's used to do wrestling episodes with generic wrestler archetypes like "Professor Pain" or whatever.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dr Hillbilly v The Iron Yuppie is just Henry Godwin v IRS

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Part of it is just the clear lack of vision. Like Cross' original design is clearly Scottish themed but this one is... a butterfly? But her rambly promo talked about "sparks" and "spirits" but never anything butterfly like. Toss is the cheap looking costume and ugly ill fitting mask and the whole thing feels half conceived. I saw someone say "its not bad for a first draft" and like... that's the point. It shouldn't be a first draft. You do a first draft so you can improve it on the second draft before you make a final draft. This a billion dollar promotion, "the leader in sports entertainment." Putting out a "first draft" on tv is amateurish and makes everyone look bad.

I had a similar vibe about the Eva/Doudrop stuff. That felt vaguely like course correction. Like they did this half assed debut last week that flopped so bad that this week they immediately reverse it. It doesn't really make sense for the protege who was fawning over Eva last week and inexplicably wrestling for her to get annoyed at wrestling for her this week and being given a goofy insulting name. It all feels hap hazard and amateurish. This poo poo should be embarrassing.

I'm not even gonna touch the Bliss stuff.

I did find it kind of comforting to see that Eva Marie still seems to suck at everything and isn't trusted to wrestle. Its nice to know somethings in this crazy world don't change.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://streamable.com/n2qn16 Toni :3:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

JT Smiley posted:

It's such a simple costume and they still found a way to make it look like poo poo, that's incredible. Who the hell is working in the prop department at WWE and giving all these folks the ugliest masks possible?

Normally the talent make and pay for their own costumes, so again this night be on Nikki.

I think turning into a superhero after non wins giving you confidence is stupid. Like if both Rhea and Charlotte said they could win in 2 minutes but Nikki pinned them for to their overconfident or distractions.

The mask is horrifying, though.

:3

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

she looks great in tights.

its the mask. The mask makes me think about dead stuff all smooshed up on the roadside. Just nasty.

The mask isn't centered around her eyes so it looks like she can't see anything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The mask isn't centered around her eyes so it looks like she can't see anything.

it looks like this baby hawk my cat killed by pulling out its insides and the hawk baby was trying to crawl away. Just upsetting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Simpsons did Corporate Kane better and years earlier

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wazzu posted:

Normally the talent make and pay for their own costumes, so again this night be on Nikki.

I mean, that really is a further condemnation of WWE when you think about it. Requiring your talent to pay for, acquire, and finish their own outfits and then putting them on TV is not only garbage treatment of employees but also just completely amateur production. There's community theaters and high school drama departments that make more of an effort than that. That's the point. WWE is putting on the show. They put a bad, unfinished, cheap product on air. They've just been blaming the talent for their failings for so long at so many levels that it becomes accepted by everyone.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, that really is a further condemnation of WWE when you think about it. Requiring your talent to pay for, acquire, and finish their own outfits and then putting them on TV is not only garbage treatment of employees but also just completely amateur production. There's community theaters and high school drama departments that make more of an effort than that. That's the point. WWE is putting on the show. They put a bad, unfinished, cheap product on air. They've just been blaming the talent for their failings for so long at so many levels that it becomes accepted by everyone.

It’s actually the most independent contractor-y part of their relationship with talent.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
the thing that never makes any sense to me about this, on the part of AEW or WWE, is that these resources are out there. There are cosplayers and cosplay clothing makers that could whip out a thousand times better of a mask toiling away on Etsy. There are people making fan remixes and fan tribute songs for WWE wrestlers that they could just hire to make themes for them. All it would take is for these big companies to reach out to this person and say "hey want a job", and yet, they bring out poo poo like this.

If these billion dollar companies can swing a big business dick, do it right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It’s actually the most independent contractor-y part of their relationship with talent.

Even if you were putting on a show with independent contractors you'd still theoretically care enough about your show to not put a subpar product on the screen if they show up with it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I absolutely refuse to believe that made Nikki Cross wear that mask out of pocket.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

rotinaj posted:

the thing that never makes any sense to me about this, on the part of AEW or WWE, is that these resources are out there. There are cosplayers and cosplay clothing makers that could whip out a thousand times better of a mask toiling away on Etsy. There are people making fan remixes and fan tribute songs for WWE wrestlers that they could just hire to make themes for them. All it would take is for these big companies to reach out to this person and say "hey want a job", and yet, they bring out poo poo like this.

I'm 95% sure that AEW has a costumer.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

Even if you were putting on a show with independent contractors you'd still theoretically care enough about your show to not put a subpar product

counterpoint: almost all wrestling that has ever happened

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so does WWE. I'm super confused.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

rotinaj posted:

I mean, employing amateur enthusiasts or untested parties and potentially getting burned by them not being up to the job is theoretically just as likely to make embarrassing situations, and if it us up to the wrestlers to get their own poo poo it might be what happened. But really its about the attention to detail and concern in their product. That costume and the idea and story behind it should have been worked out BEFORE it made TV. That's how a professional production would have done it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 23, 2021

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

cape doesn't have a gold fringe so we don't need to pay your health insurance

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the people at wwe and aew who work on clothes are mainly there for fixing gear that's already made as well as helping to customize the fit of things or make small additions. it takes a long time to make even a lovely costume and if wwe was having everything made for their wrestlers they would employ at least 10 tailors fulltime instead of one or two people. talent mostly gets their own stuff made after getting it approved except in the circumstance where someone is vince's baby project and he oversees 100% of the character before losing interest, with kane being an example, and it's not that often someone wears a big 'getup' anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
10 tailors is full-time for three TV shows, where most people can come out in their underpants?