Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Do we have a thread like this for Australian finances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I was looking for a general stock market questions thread but couldn't find one so I figured I would post here. If there's a better place for this let me know.

I bought some BST a while back and I was checking my account this morning and I saw that now I have a bunch of BST.RT shares in addition to my BST. I did a little bit of digging and I see that there's something called a rights offering that happened but because I am a moron I don't know what that is or what it means or if I have to do anything. I tried to do some research but my eyes glazed over as soon as I started reading.

Can someone explain this to me in small words?

I don't know if I have to do something or what this means. It's in an etrade account if that matters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

here's the stocks thread

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021
My workplace is going to change the funds offered in their 403b so I will need to move my international allocation out of Fidelity's Total International Index Fund (FTIHX, ER 0.06).

Would an 80%/20% split between Fidelity International Index Fund (FSPSX, ER 0.035, developed markets only) and Fidelity Emerging Markets Index Fund (FPADX, ER 0.075) approximate this well? The only other international fund choice has a 0.71% ER so I'm not considering it. Any downsides to doing it this way vs. just going 100% FSPSX?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

It's been a few months since I last posted about this, but I want to thank the thread for encouraging me to ask my office about the possibility of improving our bad 401k plan. I heard from the COO yesterday that he pulled the trigger on moving us to a direct plan with Vanguard. Aside from their low-cost fund options that we all know and love, their 401k fee is flat and based only on number of participants, so while I don't know exactly how that fee will be split yet, it's infinitely better than the large percentage fees I'm currently paying on expensive funds. So, huge win there.

If only I followed all the other advice of this thread in years past, my financial position right now would be absurdly amazing instead of just really good...

And now I hear they're adding a 3% match at the same time. It's not huge, but still all due to this thread... best :10bux: I ever spent 17 years ago.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

runawayturtles posted:

And now I hear they're adding a 3% match at the same time. It's not huge, but still all due to this thread... best :10bux: I ever spent 17 years ago.

Dude, that is awesome. Way to go. Everyone at the office owes you a beer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

runawayturtles posted:

free money's free money. good job!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

drat, nice job. I wish I could effect change at my work :smith:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

Way to be a real force for good at your job. That's amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would be so much worse off if I hadn’t joined SA.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Pollyanna posted:

Ditto. I learned financial basics from this very thread as a lurker in the first few months of my career a decade ago

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pollyanna posted:

I don't know if I'm crazy for basing my financial life on a $10 online forum, but here we are.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Residency Evil posted:

I don't know if I'm crazy for basing my financial life on a $10 online forum, but here we are.

I'm sure there are other financial forums that cost way more to access that give the same or worse advice.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got my advice from here specifically because it was too expensive and too small to be worth astroturfing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
All of the long term advice from coworkers is “become an over-leveraged landlord” and while that can work for some people I hate being in debt and I hate the idea of living as a professional landlord/leech. Boring long term investments and high savings rates it is!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Dude, that is awesome. Way to go. Everyone at the office owes you a beer.

:cheers: Funny thing is, I inadvertently found out through this process that my 401k balance is about 25% of the plan's total. Will be over 30% when my roll-in finally goes through. Small company of course, but still... I hope this move encourages more coworkers to take part, for the match at least if nothing else.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

:cheers: Funny thing is, I inadvertently found out through this process that my 401k balance is about 25% of the plan's total. Will be over 30% when my roll-in finally goes through. Small company of course, but still... I hope this move encourages more coworkers to take part, for the match at least if nothing else.

:stare: Holy moly. That's a low participation rate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

runawayturtles posted:

Jesus, Why would people leave free money on the table. I just don't understand peoples economic decisions

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus, Why would people leave free money on the table. I just don't understand peoples economic decisions

Remember before our intrepid poster the 401k was an unmatched pile of fees if I recall correctly. :v: But yeah, even at 1% if you have space above an IRA account it's still worth doing. This thread gets a pretty rosy picture painted because our cohort is all people saving for retirement, but the stats in the USA are way more grim than that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Here to pile on that this thread has def helped me a ton and caused me to discover that maybe having my 401k with Edward Jones with a 1.25% ER may not be in my best interest. Plus I was able to find similar index funds in my work retirement , which was huge.

Fun thing, my wife started a new job, small company. Her 401k , we just found out, is serviced through Edward Jones. So I’m bracing to see what the options are (waiting to hear back).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

Remember before our intrepid poster the 401k was an unmatched pile of fees if I recall correctly. :v: But yeah, even at 1% if you have space above an IRA account it's still worth doing. This thread gets a pretty rosy picture painted because our cohort is all people saving for retirement, but the stats in the USA are way more grim than that.

When I read the success stories I feel behind, and when I look at the stats of average people I feel fantastic about myself. It averages out.

Some very good posts in these threads helped me start short term investing with my cash over what I want as an emergency fund, so that's good. Sadly I'm not maxed on the contribution limits but I'm also projected to be where I want to be. So I'm maximizing happiness right now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

All of the long term advice from coworkers is “become an over-leveraged landlord” and while that can work for some people I hate being in debt and I hate the idea of living as a professional landlord/leech. Boring long term investments and high savings rates it is!

I know way too many aspiring landlords in real life. It's like it's the only "advice" people get exposed to, of course without any of the risks or downsides. Sure some people make it work and can be very successful at it, but they have to work at it. Or else just be scumbag slumlords, I guess.

If/when I move primary residences, the thought of keeping the current house around as a rental instead of selling it just makes me shudder. I don't need that worry in my life. One house is enough. I just don't want to be a landlord at all.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 23, 2021

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
If I ever buy a house or apartment thats about as much real estate I'm comfortable being exposed to. Actually putting *more* money than that into RE seems horrifying to me. Ofc where I live a nice 2 bed apt will set you back half a lifetime of income so YMMV.

SA-Anon
Sep 15, 2019
I bought a bunch of funds a while back because I did not like the idea of leaving my eggs in one basket.

Tell me what I'm doing right and wrong.

Expense Ratio - Vanguard Fund - Portfolio Percentage
0.41% - VEXPX - 11.5%
0.14% - VFTAX - 11.5%
0.08% - VHYAX - 11.5%
0.15% - VFIFX - 6.0%
0.11% - VTIAX - 17.5%
0.04% - VTSAX - 30.0%
0.38% - VWUSX 11.5%

Also, is there anyway I can hedge myself against a reduction in demand for U.S. dollars?
(Oil is paid for in U.S. dollars and between that and a reduction in its usage as foreign reserve currency.)

However I expect in the next 20-40 years... less oil trading and the growth of other reserve currencies.
(If we do see Hydrogen trading take off, there is a very fair question of what currency will be used. Maybe Euro, maybe special drawing rights, who knows.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SA-Anon posted:

I bought a bunch of funds a while back because I did not like the idea of leaving my eggs in one basket.

Tell me what I'm doing right and wrong.

Expense Ratio - Vanguard Fund - Portfolio Percentage
0.41% - VEXPX - 11.5%
0.14% - VFTAX - 11.5%
0.08% - VHYAX - 11.5%
0.15% - VFIFX - 6.0%
0.11% - VTIAX - 17.5%
0.04% - VTSAX - 30.0%
0.38% - VWUSX 11.5%

Also, is there anyway I can hedge myself against a reduction in demand for U.S. dollars?
(Oil is paid for in U.S. dollars and between that and a reduction in its usage as foreign reserve currency.)

However I expect in the next 20-40 years... less oil trading and the growth of other reserve currencies.
(If we do see Hydrogen trading take off, there is a very fair question of what currency will be used. Maybe Euro, maybe special drawing rights, who knows.)

I’m not sure on the balance, but I would say I don’t think there’s a need for the Vanguard explorer fund at .41% expense ratio vs just having Small cap index VSMAX. Same with VWUSX and the index large cap growth.

Is there a reason you picked social index and dividend yield ? I don’t know if I would say “never have those,” but I personally would think having some form of small cap, mid cap, S&P 500, would be better to start with ? I haven’t researched the social index fund myself, but I think the consensus here was that they still mostly keep the same large cap companies so it really doesn’t make a huge difference versus regular large cap. Looking at it, the top holdings include Tesla and Amazon, so yeah.

You do it similar to what I do otherwise in having multiple funds. I’ve just been balancing between adding to existing and occasionally expanding and adding another mutual fund. Although I’m also trying not to go crazy with it.

It’s easy for me to diversify via having multiple funds because my vanguard is a lot smaller than my work 401k, which only has 4 reasonable options. I automatically have balance just via work, so it doesn’t affect my overall risk if I have small cap, mid cap, etc, versus just all VTSAX (and international).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 24, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If your Roth IRA isn't worth $5Billion by the time you're 50, you're doing it wrong

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I just read that. hosed up IMO...

ah well nonetheless.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, I mean, it was also likely that his IRA would have been worth nothing if his compan(ies) went under. In some ways it's like if you bought options with your Roth IRA. Of course when you have significant control over the performance of stocks in your IRA, maybe that should change something.

I don't know, I don't work for the IRS. I think that nobody should have $5 billion though, taxed or otherwise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes but when he made that initial, single "$1700" contribution he and PayPal knew the shares were already worth far more than a 1/10th of a cent. They admitted as much in later legal filings. Romney and friends did the same thing at Bain, giving themselves undervalued shares they could stash in an IRA during their corporate raids.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I think there's grounds for an IRS regulation there. I'm imagining buying shares at par value via a Roth IRA before going into a VC meeting seeking a valuation of billions and thinking "this is cool and good and isn't hosed up"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What you described is of course literally what Thiel did. PayPal took in millions in investment at much higher valuation mere months after his Roth contribution.

The easy fix is to say you can only buy publicly traded shares with an IRA, Roth or traditional. Cat's out of the bag now though, good luck getting that kinda thing passed. We still can't get the carried interest loophole closed for hedge fund managers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's funny because when I was in law school and learned what par value was and why it exists and all of that, my first thought was "I wonder if someone could shove millions of shares at par value into an IRA before going public or whatever" and then immediately thought "no surely the IRS wouldn't allow such an egregious misuse"

Welp, lol

But if you think for even a second that you can just pull your own money from your Trad IRA to pay for rent you'll get a stern letter come tax time.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 24, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

literally even had no idea that was even legal to place non-public shares into a roth ira.. not like normal people even has access to lawyers or accountants who could even do this for them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Meanwhile I’m over here scrambling to fix my excess contribution for 2020 because some unforeseen bonuses pushed my joint income over the contribution limit and gently caress me for investing in January 2020 to take advantage of more time in the market. Really cool system.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
You can also buy real estate via an IRA. Just can’t live in it or rent it to yourself, but if you wanna be a landlord it’s fine to own the property via IRA.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Meanwhile I’m over here scrambling to fix my excess contribution for 2020 because some unforeseen bonuses pushed my joint income over the contribution limit and gently caress me for investing in January 2020 to take advantage of more time in the market. Really cool system.
Same. Getting married this fall and our joint will be just over the limit where my solo was not. Made a contribution in January (and Schwab is taking their sweet time figuring out how to unwind it despite my submittal of the forms to do so 6 weeks ago)

Very fun jumping through bureaucracy while billionaires just laugh in our faces with mountains of untaxed lucre.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i just got like £1.54 in dividends from the handful of CDPR shares i have and it got me wondering if i could, over time, invest a chunk of my income into relatively "safe" companies and, eventually, hopefully amass enough to live comfortably off dividends

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yes, just increase your holdings by 100,000 and you'll be all set.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

hbag posted:

i just got like £1.54 in dividends from the handful of CDPR shares i have and it got me wondering if i could, over time, invest a chunk of my income into relatively "safe" companies and, eventually, hopefully amass enough to live comfortably off dividends

Yes you could do that. You can do it at the index fund level, as well.

Reinvesting those dividends is a big part of growing your portfolio over time, but eventually you could shift to taking them as cash.

It'd take a pretty hefty portfolio of "safe" dividend-paying assets to generate enough to live on, though, considering that safe, dividend-focused funds are currently hovering about 2%. So figure a couple million invested. Most things offering higher dividend yields are going to be considerably less "safe".

But dividends are effectively small bits of forced sale. Stocks that pay dividends lose an equal amount of principal value, in theory. It sounds appealing for its simplicity, but a portfolio that you control the liquidation of for cash flow is better and you can stick to the 4% rule (or whatever your tolerance/roadmap is) to theoretically be able to take out cash while maintaining principal over time.

Either way, you're looking at millions for an indefinitely sustainable portfolio to live off of. That's the whole concept of financial independence.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

hbag posted:

You totally can, but keep in mind that it's exactly the same (modulo costs and taxes) as selling after capital appreciation. There's not usually a reason to prefer (reinvesting) dividends over an equivalently growing investment. You don't need dividends, growth of all kinds will do.

There's a couple Common Sense Investing videos about dividends that I remember being decent, including this one https://youtu.be/f5j9v9dfinQ