Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They showed what Baptiste and Sombra are gonna look like in OW2 during the Summer Games Fest thing.

I have said a ton of times that Sombra's character design is SO good, like S+ tier one of the best in the whole cast, and I really don't like most of her skins she gets becasue I think her default design is just unbeatable. So I breathed a sigh of relief when they showed Sombra's OW2 look and her design is still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

:yeah:

She is top tier stylewise.
Bap also looked pretty good.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

New mini-event and cross-play are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNxd33PB69w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEvKTSF7CMM

TLDR: You can team up with other consoles/pc-players for non-competitive game modes.
By default consoles play together and pc-players play with mixed pc/console-groups.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Has console/PC crossplay ever not been hysterically busted in PC players' favors? Like didn't they do that in other games and even the worst PC players were clowning on top console players??

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
As someone who's been playing PC with a controller since beta: it's definitely worse but how bad it is also definitely exaggerated. Lack of quick turning with a controller is the biggest drawback, even if you're running 100 sensitivity.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Console players hold corners more because the zooming and 180'ing isn't really a thing.

It kinda is a thing but not really.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Overwatch falls a lot more on the PC-centric side than some other new games. Mostly no ADSing, no accuracy penalty for moving while shooting, and generally cursor-accurate aiming. All together makes it so mouse-aiming isn't getting artificially made slower, and aim-assist is less of a boost.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

And yes I get how that post makes counterstrike sound like a console game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

resistentialism posted:

And yes I get how that post makes counterstrike sound like a console game.

It was briefly! :v:

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
All of a sudden now that there’s cross-play there’s a ton of text chatter in my competitive games. Is this a PlayStation thing? (I’m on Xbox and my games have never really had text chat before.)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

PC chatter, more like. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use text on the PS4 version before.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I use a controller and play on console and pc and am ranked similarly in each. I can't aim with a mouse so my dps sucks regardless, but I think playing tank and support doesn't put you at much of a disadvantage.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Except that Genji and Tracer are super hard to 1-on-1 if you’re on a console and they are on PC. 180s on console really aren’t a thing. It kind of cancels out if both players are on console, but when the Genji or Tracer can flick a 180 and I can’t, it suuucks.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Ignis posted:

PC chatter, more like. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use text on the PS4 version before.

I don’t think so. Consoles and PCs don’t mix in competitive.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it still blows my mind that Overwatch decided to forgo releasing any new content for an indefinite length of time while all their other competitors are just pumping out characters and the like. Not a great idea in retrospect!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

adhuin posted:

TLDR: You can team up with other consoles/pc-players for non-competitive game modes.

Robot Arms posted:

All of a sudden now that there’s cross-play there’s a ton of text chatter in my competitive games. Is this a PlayStation thing? (I’m on Xbox and my games have never really had text chat before.)

Uh oh! :haw:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, all the text chat last night was super positive.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pattonesque posted:

it still blows my mind that Overwatch decided to forgo releasing any new content for an indefinite length of time while all their other competitors are just pumping out characters and the like. Not a great idea in retrospect! any capacity, literally ever.

Fixed that for you. I can't believe they've left the game as stale as it is.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

Given the last two or three years of Blizzard? I sure can.

I mean, it's an awful idea. But the Blizzard that's handled Heroes of the Storm, the Battle for Azaroth patch cycle, and Warcraft 3 Reforged? Yeah, this is entirely in character.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

You know what, that's a good point.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Playing during an event is the absolute worst. It's like a reason NOT to play with how bad the teams are.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

dogstile posted:

it's bizarre!

like even the game's story, right. I don't care about the story but Overwatch has a huge casual fanbase who love its story and characters, and in five years the story of Overwatch is "Overwatch is getting back together soon!"

on top of that, you have stuff like the seasonal events. Hey, Summer Games is back! Lucioball was OK, I bet you could do Ashe's Skeet Shooting challenge or Reinhardt Baseball or Genji's Obstacle Course! At least one new one each time! Not "Rocket League but worse and with no forfeit option so the games last a half hour"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

xtal posted:

Playing during an event is the absolute worst. It's like a reason NOT to play with how bad the teams are.

There's a reason that before I gave up on the game entirely I eventually only played during events with PvE modes, having to rely on pubs for wins in PvP was just way too soul destroying, like I'd play a dozen rounds and maybe win one or two of them

There's a reason that when 2 comes out if I bother with it at all I'm only touching the PvE content and am going to completely ignore the PvP content

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

it's bizarre!

like even the game's story, right. I don't care about the story but Overwatch has a huge casual fanbase who love its story and characters, and in five years the story of Overwatch is "Overwatch is getting back together soon!"

on top of that, you have stuff like the seasonal events. Hey, Summer Games is back! Lucioball was OK, I bet you could do Ashe's Skeet Shooting challenge or Reinhardt Baseball or Genji's Obstacle Course! At least one new one each time! Not "Rocket League but worse and with no forfeit option so the games last a half hour"

It sort of makes sense for Blizzard to see everyone going nuts for the story/characters, and shifting their development resources to make story content with a big PvE campaign expansion thing

The issue is that it's taking WAY too long, and they pretty much killed the original game's development in the process. So all the casual players they tried to chase got bored and left, and the hardcore players are pissed off and leaving/left

Blizzard really bungled this thing on all fronts, which seems to be a common theme with them lately

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Flats, a Main tank-streamer has been doing some reviewing roasting of submitted Bronze-level replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbeWzSP3N8
Gameplay starts around 2:20.

They're both hilarious and frustrating to watch. Bronze players are wacky.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

adhuin posted:

Flats, a Main tank-streamer has been doing some reviewing roasting of submitted Bronze-level replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbeWzSP3N8
Gameplay starts around 2:20.

They're both hilarious and frustrating to watch. Bronze players are wacky.

I feel attacked.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

withoutclass posted:

I feel attacked.

Sorry, bro.

My favourite one was: Rein soloshattered Winston,
who bubbled himself with a fast reaction.
They were both on the same team and no enemy was harmed.

There was no Rein nor Monkey on other team.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My go to move is to uselessly dva ult before pressing boost.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-experimental-patch-notes-%E2%80%93-june-24-2021/619036
Experimental: hitscan nerfs, Bastion buff, minor D.Va nerf to nerf Echo, Tactical Visor Activated

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really hate getting caught by Tactical Visor and I still think that's a really good change.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I really hate getting caught by Tactical Visor and I still think that's a really good change.

it's a great change, it just wasn't useful enough as-is

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Visor was a pretty bad ult to begin with, this doesn't make it much better

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
CoD cross play just gives controller players a very generous aim assist and it sucks

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

blarzgh posted:

Honestly, all the text chat last night was super positive.

Well then it definitely isnt PC

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Visor was a pretty bad ult to begin with, this doesn't make it much better

it's something, at least

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Why is it so warm? Well, the earth is tilted on its axis thanks to a planetary collision five billion years ago

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

Why is it so warm? Well, the earth is tilted on its axis thanks to a planetary collision five billion years ago
There's still no highdiver speedo skin for Roadhog, F- -.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh hey, I hope y'all enjoy playing a character named after a sex pest.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Well it IS a terrible name for a cowboy

I like Ezra The Kid. How bout we do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Oh hey, I hope y'all enjoy playing a character named after a sex pest.

https://twitter.com/OverwatchTXT/status/1430966328752545797?s=19

Any bets on what the new name will be? Maybe the cowboy was actually Talon's off brand Echo pretending to be a cowboy!