Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

homullus posted:

Artillery are just Warriors with extra range and firepower.

Warriors are just stronger scouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Scouts are just workers with a vicious dog :colbert:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

workers are the means of production, comrade

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Scouts are just workers with a vicious dog :colbert:

This was changed in the latest patch, you can safely pet the dog now.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

The real takeaway from Civ is that 400 men with clubs could take down a giant mecha.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Chronojam posted:

This was changed in the latest patch, you can safely pet the dog now.

But not the kitty.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Pedestrian Xing posted:

The real takeaway from Civ is that 400 men with clubs could take down a giant mecha.

I mean, Aloy can take down a legion of mecha with a bow and (fancy) arrows in Horizon: Zero Dawn. I can't wait to try fighting cavemen with my shiny new biplanes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
well I just discovered something pretty good about cultists:

even when you are full of relics at your old god obelisks and temples, the CPU will pay you like 40 gold for 30 turns for each relic so if you have extra faith you can turn it into gold at roughly 3-4:1 depending on how expensive your cultists are

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played a lot of civ6 on the switch while i was quarantined, and i started to wonder what does the computer players use to determine if were you found a city belongs to them after I built a city behind another city I had and the British and Spanish got salty I built on land they claimed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I played a lot of civ6 on the switch while i was quarantined, and i started to wonder what does the computer players use to determine if were you found a city belongs to them after I built a city behind another city I had and the British and Spanish got salty I built on land they claimed.

lol I don't think I've ever had that happen when back filling cities, that's weird

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

twistedmentat posted:

sounds like they had invasion plans

"alright I'll take this this and this, then I.... wait he built where?" *opens diplo* "YOUUUUU oval office!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

twistedmentat posted:

I think the metric is if the city is within X (10 maybe) tiles of two of their own cities. So if they had a forward settled city (or only had the capital) they didn't care, but they also settled another city in the area in the meantime and suddenly everything the light touches is their kingdom.

I base this mostly on one game where I was flipping all of Chandragupta's cities while playing as Eleanor. When he was down to his last city he immediately phoned me up to tell me how cool it was that I had no cities anywhere near him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's hilarious. It doesn't really mean anything, yea you get some grievances but who cares? It's just one of those mysteries of the game like how it almost always starts me off on islands that are 75% tundra.

I've been playing on PC with the monopolies on along with secret societies, barbarian tribes and heroes mods, but i can only sometimes form industry on a resource if i have 2 or more. I know its only on luxury resources so its weird i can't make industry on two instances of silk.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Historically accurate for the British and Spanish empires to covet all the land in the world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Historically accurate for the British and Spanish empires to covet all the land in the world.

Yea but I was playing as Germany.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
It is so annoying that districts are pillagable in one turn. Especially harbors. Those annoying barbarian caravels just come in from the fog of war and pillage in one turn. Barbarian Clans mode made that worse as there is always some naval focused clans sitting on some coast spewing out ships. And as a player it is very hard to do anything about those as your land units might not even reach that camp. And I swear there is some kind of player bias because it feels like those ships just beeline for my harbors. I think a district should at least take two turns to pillage so you have some chance of responding.

Lots of small things irritate me in this game. Honestly I liked civ 5 more.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I had a barbarian camp that was on a one tile wide isthmus between a lake and an ocean just start cranking out caravels like crazy, then privateers. I had one city on the lake and two on the ocean and their harbors were just getting ravaged. No joke like 5 or so Caravels and a privateer were kicking about. Built some trebuchets to try and plink away at the ships only for a battleship to show up. At that point I just ended up bribing them and they became venice. Bastards.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Jovial Cow posted:

I had a barbarian camp that was on a one tile wide isthmus between a lake and an ocean just start cranking out caravels like crazy, then privateers. I had one city on the lake and two on the ocean and their harbors were just getting ravaged. No joke like 5 or so Caravels and a privateer were kicking about. Built some trebuchets to try and plink away at the ships only for a battleship to show up. At that point I just ended up bribing them and they became venice. Bastards.

I had something crazy like that happen once but I was also playing Heros and got Sinbad. It was great.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is there a bug with Turkey where you can't select Ibrahim if you're running secret societies or something?

I had never played Suleiman before but I got him randomly selected and I just can't pick the unique governor, he's not on the list I don't think

edit: nevermind I figured it out there was a scroll bar I didn't see

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 22, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hryme posted:

It is so annoying that districts are pillagable in one turn. Especially harbors. Those annoying barbarian caravels just come in from the fog of war and pillage in one turn. Barbarian Clans mode made that worse as there is always some naval focused clans sitting on some coast spewing out ships. And as a player it is very hard to do anything about those as your land units might not even reach that camp. And I swear there is some kind of player bias because it feels like those ships just beeline for my harbors. I think a district should at least take two turns to pillage so you have some chance of responding.

Lots of small things irritate me in this game. Honestly I liked civ 5 more.

Pillaging a district damages one building. You can't fully pillage a harbor in one action once it has a lighthouse, and if a caravel is dashing to your harbor from the fog it won't have the 6 movement to pillage twice. Actually it should't have 6 movement, period, since caravels have base 4 movement. Also you can just get some ships scouting so the fog of war is too far to get to the harbor and pillage (which costs 3 movement, out of the caravel's base 4).

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just played as Basil II for the first time, and the burst of religious pressure every time you kill a unit is outrageously satisfying. Also, mashing half a dozen horsies into city after city. Might be my new favorite civ.

Weirdly, I never unlocked the sanguine pact. It should unlock after clearing a barb camp, right? I cleared several but it never triggered. Unlocked the other 3 cults just fine.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

resting bort face posted:

I just played as Basil II for the first time, and the burst of religious pressure every time you kill a unit is outrageously satisfying. Also, mashing half a dozen horsies into city after city. Might be my new favorite civ.

Weirdly, I never unlocked the sanguine pact. It should unlock after clearing a barb camp, right? I cleared several but it never triggered. Unlocked the other 3 cults just fine.

It's a random chance, and you just got some bad rolls. I don't know what the chance is but I'd guess somewhere around 50%.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Staltran posted:

Pillaging a district damages one building. You can't fully pillage a harbor in one action once it has a lighthouse, and if a caravel is dashing to your harbor from the fog it won't have the 6 movement to pillage twice. Actually it should't have 6 movement, period, since caravels have base 4 movement. Also you can just get some ships scouting so the fog of war is too far to get to the harbor and pillage (which costs 3 movement, out of the caravel's base 4).

Yeah I didn't mean that one pillage ruins the entire district. But repairing a lighthouse takes about 4 turns for a new city. And if you are unable to kill the caravel it will continue to pillage the next turn. It is possible to protect with ships, but in that game I was not a naval power so I had not focused on naval research. This was two of my late settled coastal cities that I opened with harbor as the first district that got harassed. I bought two galleys to protect the harbors with crossbowmen, but they were inadequate for the task. If I started with a coastal capital and focused on naval it would be different of course as I would have a navy to defend. I beelined for my own caravels but it would take at least 10 turns to get them researched.

In hindsight I agree it was a bad play to start with a harbor district in new coastal cities without a navy to protect them. But honestly on immortal it is very hard to justify building a navy just to protect harbors as there is a lot of more important things to focus on to win. I guess the takeaway is that I should stop automatically building harbors in late settled coastal cities with a land power.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 23, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's an interesting dilemma but yeah, build more ships dude, basically. Or try other ways of getting them - apostles to convert a navy of your own perhaps? I did this in my latest game and ended up with two Quads, a Nau (special ability didn't work sadly) and a frigate. I wasn't a naval power before but I was after! Building harbours in new cities takes a looong time so that should give you a chance to prepare.

Also watch out for privateers a bit later in the game, as your coastal improvements and districts may just suddenly become pillaged without you even realising.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's a random chance, and you just got some bad rolls. I don't know what the chance is but I'd guess somewhere around 50%.

The chance decreases each time someone else unlocks that society which really sucks when you want a specific one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I was reminded of it since it just happened to me, but one thing I unironically like is when natural disasters happen during a war. Disasters have changed the course of wars and I almost wish disease were a risk you faced with a carpet of units.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, Japan gets that neat little bonus with hurricanes but its basically useless unless you are in apocalypse mode :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
RNG really hates my starting positions, either as i mentioned, i'm either right next or on tundra, or i have 5 other civs starting right next to me even on a HUGE map. 12 civs, 7 of them within 24 hexs of my starting spot.

Also Hermetic Order the lamest secret society? Either I go with the Owls or the :cthulhu: depending on which I get first. Though Kubla Khan China is pretty OP with the owls because that means you have 3 trade civics right off the bat.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Yeah, Japan gets that neat little bonus with hurricanes but its basically useless unless you are in apocalypse mode :(
Same thing with Russia and blizzards, although as I found out they will still very much gently caress up your districts.

Fun thing with Russia, though - because you're in a tundra-heavy start, if you choose the Dance of the Aurora pantheon pretty much all your holy sites wind up getting 4-6 faith as a base, more near mountains. You can double that with the Scripture policy card. And if you can found your religion with the Work Ethic belief, then you get the equivalent of all that faith as production as well. This is an absolutely bonkers amount of production that early in the game, so your tundra cities become ridiculously productive early in the game.

This also works to a degree with Canada (though the holy sites aren't quite as good as the Russian Lavras, and you're less likely to be pushing for a religion game with :canada: ), Brazil with Sacred Path, or Mali with Desert Folklore.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

RNG really hates my starting positions, either as i mentioned, i'm either right next or on tundra, or i have 5 other civs starting right next to me even on a HUGE map. 12 civs, 7 of them within 24 hexs of my starting spot.

Also Hermetic Order the lamest secret society? Either I go with the Owls or the :cthulhu: depending on which I get first. Though Kubla Khan China is pretty OP with the owls because that means you have 3 trade civics right off the bat.

I love combining Owls with Rough Rider Teddy. Slap in the 2 envoys when you gain your first envoy card into your government and send a trade route to a Civ you haven't met yet. Boom, you are instantly Suzerein and have spent 0 envoys.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Same thing with Russia and blizzards, although as I found out they will still very much gently caress up your districts.

Fun thing with Russia, though - because you're in a tundra-heavy start, if you choose the Dance of the Aurora pantheon pretty much all your holy sites wind up getting 4-6 faith as a base, more near mountains. You can double that with the Scripture policy card. And if you can found your religion with the Work Ethic belief, then you get the equivalent of all that faith as production as well. This is an absolutely bonkers amount of production that early in the game, so your tundra cities become ridiculously productive early in the game.

This also works to a degree with Canada (though the holy sites aren't quite as good as the Russian Lavras, and you're less likely to be pushing for a religion game with :canada: ), Brazil with Sacred Path, or Mali with Desert Folklore.

Brazil gets ridiculous benefits from Earth Goddess because of the bonus appeal from Jungle tiles, as well. It's clear why they had to nerf Russia and Earth Goddess in the latest patch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Albino Squirrel posted:

I like doing this with Khmer--you don't have a super strong start bias so it takes some luck, but if you do have a spot that benefits from one of the holy site adjacency pantheons then you also get to add those massive adjacency bonuses to food in addition to faith and production.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madmarker posted:

I love combining Owls with Rough Rider Teddy. Slap in the 2 envoys when you gain your first envoy card into your government and send a trade route to a Civ you haven't met yet. Boom, you are instantly Suzerein and have spent 0 envoys.

Oh that's nice.

Vietnam is a though game, as you can't place districts down unless you have forest, jungle or marsh.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I had one of my easiest victories by playing Arabia on the Mediterranean TSL map. The entire African continent was left alone to me (after I ate Cleopatra's first settler) and it had an insane number of ley lines. I would lay down a new city and it'd already be pumping out 50 science/faith/production on the turn it was founded.

edit: Add that with the Desert Folklore pantheon and the faith bonus that turns holy site adjacency into production :fap:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hermetic is far and away the worst, even though you can get lucky with it sometimes.

I wish they would buff it or like make ley lines a bit less randomly distributed because it feels really bad to pick.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just wrapped an Emperor game as Cyrus. Used Voidsingers to buy infinite rock bands. I did not grasp the cultists though. I surrounded one of Kongo's cities since he was my neighbor and tourism rival. I hit the city with an Indie rock band and several cultists at once and seemed to bring the city to 0 loyalty in one turn, but the bar just filled up again. At least I got a lot of tourism from the relics they left behind.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

resting bort face posted:

Just wrapped an Emperor game as Cyrus. Used Voidsingers to buy infinite rock bands. I did not grasp the cultists though. I surrounded one of Kongo's cities since he was my neighbor and tourism rival. I hit the city with an Indie rock band and several cultists at once and seemed to bring the city to 0 loyalty in one turn, but the bar just filled up again. At least I got a lot of tourism from the relics they left behind.

I'm not sure if this is how the mechanic actually works, but I think if a city's net loyalty-per-turn is positive, you won't turn them over. It seems more tactful to use them on cities that need more time to flip a loyalty deficit into a net. Or ones sandwiched between other empires.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I think they nerfed that at some point: used to be if you got a city into negative loyalty through 'loyalty bomb' effects, it would flip regardless of its net loyalty-per-turn being positive or negative. Now you need to get it down to 0 with the loyalty bombs and also it needs negative loyalty-per-turn

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That seems disappointingly corner-case but the society's other bonuses seem so good I can see why they nerfed the "and also you can just steal a city too" ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Try building an entertainment center and running bread and circuses, that can be enough to get it to go negative sometimes

You can also use amani nearby and use a spy to remove their governor