Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just reached gehennom with this monk after spending many turns polypilling and messing around. Then suddenly remembered why my interest in finishing runs just craters though at least the mysterious force is weaker now in 3.7.
Edit: honestly I'm pretty tempted to just magic map and then dig my down after looting vlads tower.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

cock hero flux posted:

trollmire is a level 1 area that most new players will start in that you can clear trivially easily without even understanding how to do anything but bump attack

old forest is a level 7 area notorious for tricking new players because it's close to trollmire and looks like it should be a logical next step but is actually far more dangerous and should be left until after you go clear all the level 1 dungeons

nur is an area you can access from the end of the old forest which is around level 20, full of eldritch horrors, and completely underwater and ends with a boss that is extremely durable and has the very rare ability to purge sustains, something that most new players will not even consider possible or notice happening, they will simply suddenly find themselves vastly weaker for no apparent reason and then die abruptly
yes, and? You are saying that hiding an essential item such as the chest behind any gate is great idea as long as it is early enough?
How about also locking the ability to bump to attack behind a gate, maybe in one of the other starting areas. And the ability to use the keyboard to move behind another. Sounds like a good idea?
Nobody will ever get disappointed by the lack of those mechanics as those points are so early in the game.

Especially if googling still might lead you to some old info telling you that the gate is actually at the lake of nur.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SNKRX looks pretty darn neat, especially for three bucks. I'm told it has Autochess DNA though, which is a genre I've never even broadly touched, which would explain why I'm pretty confused right from the off :eng99:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is a Great Race between Tales of Maj'Eyal and Rogue Empire in terms of how much any and all newer design updates tremendously overhaul those from Many Years On Back Now that have absolutely not stood the test of time all that well as each project wound up being some of the slowest smoking simmers of the entire commercial Roguelike spread without that likely being the original intents at all.

Dev Momentum is Real and The True Friend of Design Quality (Clarity)---once it becomes intermittent, at best, stagnation and worse will come as if invited for dinner.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Man I don't know if it's just because it was in development for a while but Slay the Spire really hit it out of the park. I keep trying other deckbuilders to chase that high, but I keep noticing little things that annoy me and go back to thinking StS is such a stripped down perfect experience. Monster Train is the only one that's come close so far.

I started playing Griftlands the other day because I saw some positive posts here, and I don't know if I need to get into it a little more to really appreciate it, but it is not grabbing me so far. It's loving filled with jabbering sci-fi dialog filled with sci-fi terms that I can barely bring myself to read on the first playthrough, and since this is a roguelike I'm assuming most players just skim past immediately since it has gently caress all impact on gameplay. The dual negotiation/battle decks is a neat mechanic and I can see how the balancing act as far as what to improve is interesting, although a lot of the time it feels optimal to just do an optional negotiation first which makes things more tedious (I could be 100% wrong about this though since I just started).

StS just felt like it wasted none of your time. I booted it up and within like 5 clicks and 10 seconds I was in an encounter, and every encounter beyond the first 2-3 felt interesting and impactful. You use a card and the animation went off instantly. The art style was super basic, but this is a roguelike thread and more important everything felt instantly readable. And I'm starting to hate the Griftlands/Klei aesthetic, it reminds me of that Klasky Csupo semi-grotesque look.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
SNKRX is a ton of fun, with my only real complaint being that the newest patch increased the difficulty a massive degree at high NG+ levels. At NG+5(the current max) the last few waves feel nigh impossible unless you get completely god tier RNG and even a lot of the earlier boss levels are extremely rough. Wave 12 I am not even sure is possible to beat without a silencer.

For $3 though I have gotten a ton of fun out of it and the dev is extremely active, patching about once a week.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Roguebook is much easier after I figured out you can skip the draft vault without losing gold.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

SNKRX looks pretty darn neat, especially for three bucks. I'm told it has Autochess DNA though, which is a genre I've never even broadly touched, which would explain why I'm pretty confused right from the off :eng99:

I can give a quick rundown. The basic structure of the game is pretty simple (buy units, manuever your snake around avoiding enemies, your units will auto-cast skills as they come off cooldown) so I imagine it's the store that gets you more than anything.

• After every round you'll get gold, more the later the round is. You also get some interest, +1 gold for every 5 you hold on to (max +5 at 25 gold).
  • Mostly you use gold to buy units. Buy a unit, and it gets added to your snake, with a max of 7 units at first. Buying a duplicate of a unit does nothing at first. If you get 3 of the same unit though, they merge into a level 2 version of the same unit, which means more defense and usually a stronger attack. This maxes out at level 3, which takes 3 level 2 units. Every level 3 unit also gets a unique upgrade to their attack.
  • Also important are classes. Every unit has at least one class, and if you have x different units of the same class, you'll get a buff unique to that class. Usually this is what you're building for; pick a class you like, and fill your snake with units of that class to max out their passive.
  • Gold can also be used to upgrade and refresh the store. Refreshing the store costs 2 gold, and brings up 3 new units to buy. Usually not super useful early game, but by the late game you'll be refreshing it like mad to find the units you want. The store naturally upgrades over time, and with each new level it increases the rate of finding rarer units. You can make this go faster by buying xp, 5 gold per.
  • Lastly there's items. You get an item every 3 rounds, and they're all passives that help your snake. A lot of them are class specific, so the first item or two can really shape what classes you go for. Items can also be refreshed if you don't like your options, but it's 10 gold a piece so it's pretty pricey. Some items can also be upgraded to enhance their effect, again for quite a bit of gold.

So hopefully that helps? I know that's a lot to cover but once you get into it I feel like it clicks pretty quickly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's a huge help, thanks. Especially the explanation on what the sam hell was going on with classes and leveling up units, I had no idea what was going on

So that's the "autochess" part, right? Shopping a beefy set of units over time while they do the actual chess/dota/snake game mechanics?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh god damnit i just saw the ? help button top-right :cripes:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, autochess games all have the same setup of "buy units from the shop, upgrade them when you get enough of them, they play the game for you". Probably the biggest difference is that, in regular autochess, the store has a limited stock of units that get bought up by other players, so figuring out which units are available to draft is a very important skill. Here the store's unlimited so you really don't have to worry about that.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
One odd thing is units can show up even after you have gotten them to rank 3 but you're not allowed to buy them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

About to win NG+4

Squire is the best unit in the game, though I didn't get the level 3 bonus to make it a complete cakewalk. Naturally this means reinforce is the best item, since it's squire's ridiculous level 3 bonus in item form. Really liking gambler as a mid-late game pick, as it does solid damage from level 1 if you're hanging on to cash and have another sorcerer around.

e: did not win ng+4 due to a bunch of bullshit spawning under me when I couldn't see the marker.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 23, 2021

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Lawman 0 posted:

Just reached gehennom with this monk after spending many turns polypilling and messing around. Then suddenly remembered why my interest in finishing runs just craters though at least the mysterious force is weaker now in 3.7.
Edit: honestly I'm pretty tempted to just magic map and then dig my down after looting vlads tower.

How did they change the mysterious force?

Magic mapping gehennom is always worth it. Unless somethings changed in the 15 years since I last played, as long as you’re efficient with the levels you map it costs like 50 marker charges to map every stair and shortening the game by that much does more for your chances than a few more enchant scrolls or whatever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

That's a huge help, thanks. Especially the explanation on what the sam hell was going on with classes and leveling up units, I had no idea what was going on

So that's the "autochess" part, right? Shopping a beefy set of units over time while they do the actual chess/dota/snake game mechanics?

Right, and much like a Roguelike I think it's a tough thing to nail down what makes an "Autochess" game and it's just sort of something you call when you see it. Like Hearthstone's Battlegrounds mode does NOT have the "have X units of a class/race to activate an ability" mechanic that almost every game does, but it's definitely an autochess game. Vivid Knight is a single-player roguelite RPG and not a multiplayer free-for-all, but it is also surely an autochess game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What other roguelikes with autochess dna are there? I quite like the idea.

Preferably also with actual gameplay too like the snake game.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jack Trades posted:

Vivid Knight is another auto chess roguelite, with some turn based RPG flavor (you have a selection of spells as well, and get a turn just like your units and enemies), but it’s more auto battle than not.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I went down an Auto Battler rabbit hole a while back so here's the autobattlers I remember that reminded me of autochess:

Hadean Tactics is a run-based roguelite in the Slay the Spire vein, except throughout the run you draft units just like in autochess and then they play out automated grid-based battles, just like autochess. When I last played (late March) it was competent but hadn't found out how to balance itself yet, and very content-lite (only one character, only two factions of units, etc). It had some really goofy lopsided balance, like one unit you can recruit is a gargoyle that makes a clone of itself every few seconds that does half damage. And... that clone makes a clone. And then each of those clones make clones, and before too long the entire board is full of clones of this gargoyle.

Tavern of Gods is... another auto-chess cloned singleplayer autobattler. It has a lot more content and variety than Hadean Tactics but I found it too easy to build an overpowered party in.

The Dungeon Beneath is a more competently made game than either of the above but the major difference is that combat is slightly manual - you control the positioning of your units between each turn, and they always attack the row they're in - but beyond that it's all auto-chess. It's good and fun but I find it kind of frustrating to play in a way that's hard to describe - you get 4 recruitable unit slots but you can realistically only use one 'back-line' unit and everyone else has to be a front-liner that can take hits and that really frustrates me personally. The 3:1 ratio is jarring, I want 2:2!

Astronarch is a game that I truly enjoy but it's the furthest from the standard autochess formula on this list. There's a huge roster of characters and you build a party starting with three of them and recruit two more throughout the run - then auto-battle your way through a series of escalating rooms. After each room you can choose from one of a few available pieces of equipment, of which there are a ton and they can vastly change your gameplan or strategy. There's a million different synergistic builds you can put together with the huge class variety and viability and some absurd items that you may or may not find in each run. If you like drafting and delegating loot to make your party overpowered while they auto-battle through a roguelite for you it's fantastic, but if the autochess DNA you're looking for is the, drafting a party of random units, stacking them up to level them up, get faction bonuses for using similar types part - you won't find that here

Comedy option Luck be a Landlord - a dystopian slot-machine simulator where you have to slave away at a slot machine to pay ever-increasing rent to survive, and you collect relics throughout the run that influence the behavior of certain symbols on the slot machine, as well as new symbols to add that have different behaviors with each other - for example one is a baby that earns very little on its own, but if it's adjacent to candy or bubbles it consumes them but earns a bonus, or if it's adjacent to a pinata it breaks the pinata which makes candy symbols spill across the board. It has several elements of auto-chess but arranged in a different way. It's surprisingly fun, if ultimately shallow, and has a demo.
bonus: one of the symbols is a dog and you can click it to pet it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 23, 2021

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

ClothHat posted:

Man I don't know if it's just because it was in development for a while but Slay the Spire really hit it out of the park.

At least one of the mains devs and cofounder (Anthony Giovannetti) was really involved in Netrunner, an awesome two players card game.
He created https://stimhack.com/ and I think that the game was playtested on high level netrunner players.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 23, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today, I will remind them

(no, I'm not the one quoted or the one who replies)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Loddfafnir posted:

At least one of the mains devs and cofounder (Anthony Giovannetti) was really involved in Netrunner, an awesome two players card game.
He created https://stimhack.com/ and I think that the game was playtested on high level netrunner players.

Netrunner is the awesomist game I wish I had been able to play regularly. Just using it's name summons me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alright, there's ng+4 down

My items were kinda bleh (mostly aoe buffs that I wasn't able to lean into and random single dude buffs) but somehow it all came together. Probably should have booted scout for psychic but chaining works so well with stormweaver.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 23, 2021

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

the lake is a subarea of the old forest, a much later area totally separate from the trolllmire. especially back in the day when completing all of the starting dungeons on each character was pretty standard practice, you might do a lot of dungeons before you had your chance at the cube.

now with it on bill i think it's a non-issue. you can get the thing within a few minutes of rolling your first character and you're definitely going to complete the trollmire at some point early on

doing every single T1 is absolutely still standard practice because you need all the poo poo you can get before going into the T2s. now i think lost lands is supposed to change that up when it comes out because the concept makes the devs uneasy, so we can all look forward to them accidentally making the game worse on accident again probably

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Contra Duck posted:

How did they change the mysterious force?

Magic mapping gehennom is always worth it. Unless somethings changed in the 15 years since I last played, as long as you’re efficient with the levels you map it costs like 50 marker charges to map every stair and shortening the game by that much does more for your chances than a few more enchant scrolls or whatever.

quote:

The following information pertains to an upcoming version (NetHack 3.7.0). If this version is now released, please verify that it is still accurate, then update the page to incorporate this information.
The force has been changed to hit you less often proportional to the total number of levels you have been sent back already. Most of the calculations on this page will be invalidated.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Mithross posted:

Netrunner is the awesomist game I wish I had been able to play regularly. Just using it's name summons me.

Yeah, me too. The systems are just so good!
I would have loved a digital, roguelity version with an AI.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

should i go with Roguebook or Monster Train?

perc2
May 16, 2020

Loddfafnir posted:

Yeah, me too. The systems are just so good!
I would have loved a digital, roguelity version with an AI.

I would absolutely die if they made a single player type version along these lines. I imagine it's quite a hard game to code an AI for due to its asymettric nature and often complex card rules.

Hell, a multiplayer version of it in a sleek modern client with instant matchmaking would kick rear end, not to disaparage https://www.jinteki.net of course.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

should i go with Roguebook or Monster Train?

Monster train. Roguebook is fun but it just got out of EA so monster train will probably give you more bang for your buck.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thats what i was leaning toward. Thanks!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Debating if I should pick up Tainted Grail or Griftlands - Roguebook looks too undercooked for the moment.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They updated Roguebook and removed the ability to put Red Diamond on Flex. :sigh:

Probably for the best though. Looks like they're doing some balancing changes, apparently Sharra's underperforming quite a bit and Seifer's overperforming. Which, I mean, fair, lines up with my experiences. Though currently I don't think they're really making enough changes to make much of a difference, just a handful of cards. The Seifer changes in particular made me laugh, because 3 of them were cards that I didn't find to be particularly strong in the first place. Both Brimstone Needle and Krog's Dinner were made rarer, which is fair. Neither I don't think are particularly overpowering by themselves, but you could easily smash difficulty if you had more of them. In particular my last run had 3 Krog's Dinners and it made the game a bit of a joke; combined with other ally buffing cards, I usually would end up healing 20-30 HP every combat. Who even cares about blocking at that point, just take all the damage and heal it back later!

I know Roguebook got off to a rocky start but I feel like it's going in a good direction.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

victrix posted:

Debating if I should pick up Tainted Grail or Griftlands - Roguebook looks too undercooked for the moment.

Griftlands 100%. Tainted Grail is mostly 'eh' to me. The gameplay isn't bad but the presentation is. Griftlands is great on both accounts.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Phantom Abyss just went into EA and seems really fun with a cool concept. Why does it seem to be getting relatively little buzz?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

perc2 posted:

I imagine it's quite a hard game to code an AI for due to its asymmetric nature and often complex card rules.

I'd love to see a version of the Race for the Galaxy AI, which is a neural network learning by playing against itself and is an exceptional opponent in this game.

But yeah, it's quite hard and the asymmetry doesn't help. I'd love an L5R LCG videogame in a roguelite body too for that matter.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Phantom Abyss just went into EA and seems really fun with a cool concept. Why does it seem to be getting relatively little buzz?

Can't speak for everyone, but to me a good EA game goes in the wishlist and I come back much later

It has to be exceptional to pick it up early, there are too many reasons to wait and comparatively few benefits to getting in immediately (saving $5 isn't one to me)

This one specifically fit that category - immediate wishlist but I'll be sitting on it for however long

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Because a first person platform game based on time trial sounds like very uninteresting to me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Because a first person platform game based on time trial sounds like very uninteresting to me.

Yeah, this. The only thing less interesting to me in a videogame than platforming, is platforming in first person.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I grabbed it and it's pretty cool and intense. Indiana Jones simulator. Though performance is terrible so I get huge frame rate drops which isn't great when you are trying to raise through.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

The 7 Day Roguelike Challenge 2021 judgings just came out! You can see them on roguetemple. There were some issues with itch.io that caused big delays with finalizing the ratings and eventually the organizers just said screw it, let's use the old way.

Interestingly on itch.io and during the judging the "Roguelikeness" criteria was actually changed to "Traditional Roguelikeness" this year, but I guess the old site doesn't reflect that. The three judges who rated my game gave it ratings of 2 (lowest), 3, and 4 (highest) for my entry's "Roguelikeness" category, which is kind of hilarious. I guess even the more tightly defined "Traditional Roguelikeness" can be pretty variable to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

watched some of this last night & definitely wishlisted. Took me a little while to see the hook but I think it looks great.