Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Alan Smithee posted:

"your honor you will find that 420Escobar was in fact not even using VPN"

*Bailiff announces the case*

State of Washington against Mr. Elon Musk for unlawful manipulation of cryptocurrency Cum Rocket, all rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jokes posted:

It's worth 25 pounds

Sorry now it's worth 25 ounces

Listen, gold isn't an excellent storage of value have you considered a different cryptocoin instead?

You can’t eat gold bars, but your body can become Bitcoin

https://imgur.com/gallery/feuc0It

Fake edit: How do I forget every Goddamn time how to add a picture to a post in the AwfulApp?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

LanceHunter posted:

Not being able to cash out of bitcoin was more of a thing back in the MtGox days. Now that there are enough exchanges like Coinbase that are only moderately lovely and not outright fraudulent, it's not hard to get actual money out. When I sold my coin at around $63k, I was able to withdraw and had the cash in my bank account in a week. (And, looking at the prices today, I'm extremely glad that I realized that it was immoral to put any more USD into the crypto ecosystem and that I needed to get out of it completely.)

I’m always extremely happy when a goon gets their money in $dollars in hand. I even congratulated Seraph when he said he got enough to live off of for a while. I get sad when I read stories about crypto man investing his young wife’s inheritance into coins and has no way of being made whole again.
The laughs come from the Bitcoin maximalists posting poo poo about “fiat” and “invest” and “value,” followed by a ghost titty graph. The guys who think they will be in charge of the world just as soon as society will collapse worldwide just real soon! The Lightning Network (lmao) process. The former “spend Bitcoin for coffee then buy more Bitcoin immediately to hold the same amount.” The falling phone. Brazil.txt. Dollar-cost averaging. The “market cap” calculation.
I wish I had put money into Starbucks or Amazon. I’m not a rich man, but even McDonalds’ stock doesn’t flail wildly about every loving hour and I never wanted to see regular (unsophisticated and naive) folks get hurt. I’m glad you got your money out without tempting another on SA to become your personal bag-holder by tricking them to put money in the mix that they couldn’t afford to lose.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shumagorath posted:

If I had a law degree and you told me I could send coiners to prison I'd probably do it for free.

Hell, I don’t have a law degree and if maybe eat the fraud charge to fake send the Tether folk to jail. I’m not particularly busy right now.

If I was gonna go to jail for fraud I want to be cell mates with Free Ross, though. Because I would remind him every day about attempting to contract a murder is not acceptable on the outside, no matter how many websites you make.

Edit: sorry re: triple post. Phone apps are great, but don’t have all the functionality as a desktop version of any site.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 23, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Khorne posted:

musk allegedly sold all his coin at >50k or something like that, a bunch of crypto people were crying about it

Not sure how true it is, but I've definitely seem claims and even people posting the wallet address.

I posted this a few pages back

https://twitter.com/thacryp/status/1406592948821692423?s=20

He sold it all at 50k

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
When people in the Bitcoin Reddit say Bitcoin transactions are slow and expensive it is countered by mentioning some kind of lightning network or something (supposedly used in that video of a guy transferring coin with a cellphone in El Salvador) which they say has all the benefits of Bitcoin ("non-custodial", safe, bla bla) but none of the downsides, and is settled later, bringing the transactions onto the chain or whatever

What are they talking about, and why is it bullshit?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
one of the biggest arguments coiners use to advocate crypto is that it is trustless, and you lose this trustlessness by using lightning network

at which point, why the gently caress are you even using cryptosporidium in the first place

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

First day on new job today. Boss enthuses about how we'll be moving everything "To The Blockchain". I asked what exactly he wants to do with a blockchain. "We havent really worked that part out yet".

Told him maybe we could just put some logs or something in there so he can tell marketing that we are on "The Blockchain".

Some dumb bullshit.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

duck monster posted:

First day on new job today. Boss enthuses about how we'll be moving everything "To The Blockchain". I asked what exactly he wants to do with a blockchain. "We havent really worked that part out yet".

Told him maybe we could just put some logs or something in there so he can tell marketing that we are on "The Blockchain".

Some dumb bullshit.

Holy poo poo run.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
1. Move all company funds to an address you control
2. quit
3. lose the money yourself cuz lol crypto

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

If I was gonna go to jail for fraud I want to be cell mates with Free Ross, though. Because I would remind him every day about attempting to contract a murder is not acceptable on the outside, no matter how many websites you make.

A while back I was trying to clean out my calendar on my old laptop to move everything over to google calendar. Thre was two reminders still in there I couldn't find.

Eventually after a couple of hours searching I found them. I think I made them while drunk in 2015.

One was for 2055 with a reminder that "Ross Ulbricht is still in prison, or dead.".

And another for 2115 that said "The UK still hasn't left the EU".

50% hit rate not bad. Probably fail me entrance to the time-travellers guild though.

edit: No it must have been later I made that. The brexit vote was 2016. gently caress knows, I just know I don't remember making them.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Holy poo poo run.

I've been unemployed for 3 months. At this point in my finances, I'll take *any* work.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Greenplastic posted:

When people in the Bitcoin Reddit say Bitcoin transactions are slow and expensive it is countered by mentioning some kind of lightning network or something (supposedly used in that video of a guy transferring coin with a cellphone in El Salvador) which they say has all the benefits of Bitcoin ("non-custodial", safe, bla bla) but none of the downsides, and is settled later, bringing the transactions onto the chain or whatever

What are they talking about, and why is it bullshit?
someone correct me if i'm wrong and i haven't caught up to the latest so i might not have the most recent info on lightning network..

the way the lightning network works is ahead of time you put bitcoins into a "channel" which is basically a transaction on the blockchain, this channel is shared by people who regularly transact with each other. so lets say alice and bob both agree to commit 1 bitcoin a piece to this channel. once the bitcoin blockchain confirms this transaction (which is basically a smart contract that says both sides have agreed and put in 1 bitcoin). you now can trade up to 1 bitcoin between the people in the channel. so alice and bob can trade money owed back and forth.

lets say alice gets mad at bob and decides to "end" the channel. she can say she's done and the smart contract that opened the channel resolves who owes who what and marks that on the smart contract. so if at the end alice sent over half a bitcoin to bob. the contract figures this out and resolves this.

on the "real" blockchain, it resolves to alice sending bob that half a bitcoin. bob gets 1.5 bitcoins returned to his wallet.. and life goes on.

additionally. if bob holds channels with alice and carol. and alice wants to send money to carol, she can do that by using bob as an intermediary between them. so if alice wants to send 0.25 bitcoins to carol, she sends it through to bob, who then sends 0.25 bitcoin through to carol. also he skims a small transaction fee for handling it.

now the biggest issues with lightning.

1. if you don't have a relationship with the person you're trying to send bitcoin to, and you're probably only going to send this person money one time.. then lightning network is pointless. you need to generate the smart contract and wait for the transaction to resolve on the blockchain. at this point, you may as well have just sent the person the bitcoin as the transaction.

2 "ah. but you just said you can connect channels from different people! if i don't have a relationship with carol, i can just send through bob."

yes this is true.. if and only if the chain of channels you need to send money has enough bitcoins to make the transaction. so if along the individual channels of alice, bob, carol and david. if alice wanted to send david 0.5 bitcoin, and carol only has 0.25 bitcoin on the carol and david channel, then the transaction can't be done.

3. lastly, and i don't know if this would actually be an issue... is that bitcoin runs on miners getting paid fees to manage transactions. arguably if the lightning network ends up being successful.. that's fewer incentives for miners to want to process the transactions. so it will either raise the fees or reduce verification of transactions..

again.. i may be completely messing up what the lightning network is.. but using it is only useful if its someone you transact with enough to want to open a channel between you two. for example, if you went to a coffee place.. you may open a channel between them so you can just get your coffee and have it resolve instantly.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Does that mean the Salvadorean fishmonger has to set up a new lightning channel for every new customer who wants to buy a fish?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Strong Sauce posted:

someone correct me if i'm wrong and i haven't caught up to the latest so i might not have the most recent info on lightning network..

the way the lightning network works is ahead of time you put bitcoins into a "channel" which is basically a transaction on the blockchain, this channel is shared by people who regularly transact with each other. so lets say alice and bob both agree to commit 1 bitcoin a piece to this channel. once the bitcoin blockchain confirms this transaction (which is basically a smart contract that says both sides have agreed and put in 1 bitcoin). you now can trade up to 1 bitcoin between the people in the channel. so alice and bob can trade money owed back and forth.

lets say alice gets mad at bob and decides to "end" the channel. she can say she's done and the smart contract that opened the channel resolves who owes who what and marks that on the smart contract. so if at the end alice sent over half a bitcoin to bob. the contract figures this out and resolves this.

on the "real" blockchain, it resolves to alice sending bob that half a bitcoin. bob gets 1.5 bitcoins returned to his wallet.. and life goes on.

additionally. if bob holds channels with alice and carol. and alice wants to send money to carol, she can do that by using bob as an intermediary between them. so if alice wants to send 0.25 bitcoins to carol, she sends it through to bob, who then sends 0.25 bitcoin through to carol. also he skims a small transaction fee for handling it.

now the biggest issues with lightning.

1. if you don't have a relationship with the person you're trying to send bitcoin to, and you're probably only going to send this person money one time.. then lightning network is pointless. you need to generate the smart contract and wait for the transaction to resolve on the blockchain. at this point, you may as well have just sent the person the bitcoin as the transaction.

2 "ah. but you just said you can connect channels from different people! if i don't have a relationship with carol, i can just send through bob."

yes this is true.. if and only if the chain of channels you need to send money has enough bitcoins to make the transaction. so if along the individual channels of alice, bob, carol and david. if alice wanted to send david 0.5 bitcoin, and carol only has 0.25 bitcoin on the carol and david channel, then the transaction can't be done.

3. lastly, and i don't know if this would actually be an issue... is that bitcoin runs on miners getting paid fees to manage transactions. arguably if the lightning network ends up being successful.. that's fewer incentives for miners to want to process the transactions. so it will either raise the fees or reduce verification of transactions..

again.. i may be completely messing up what the lightning network is.. but using it is only useful if its someone you transact with enough to want to open a channel between you two. for example, if you went to a coffee place.. you may open a channel between them so you can just get your coffee and have it resolve instantly.

And this is completely ignoring the (unsolved, handwaved away) logistical nightmare of everyone needing to know the (constantly changing) balance between every other channel at all times to enable efficient routing of transactions. And nodes need to be constantly online and monitoring their channels so that you can contest someone trying to close the channel between you two in a "untrue" state.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Greenplastic posted:

Does that mean the Salvadorean fishmonger has to set up a new lightning channel for every new customer who wants to buy a fish?

This assumes they have some quantity of money/btc in the first place

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
OK enough with the stupid fanfiction, it's ridicously easy to send bitcoin in El Salvador - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/o5jzxg/this_is_how_easy_and_simple_it_is_to_send_a/

But no point clicking the video. You'll find out soon enough :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

salt shakeup posted:

OK enough with the stupid fanfiction, it's ridicously easy to send bitcoin in El Salvador - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/o5jzxg/this_is_how_easy_and_simple_it_is_to_send_a/

your brain is as smooth as a freshly zamboni'd hockey rink

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also the way it works, Alice can steal the funds from Bob at any time, unless he notices within 24 hours so you have to be constantly monitoring the channel (or pay someone else who's "trustworthy" to monitor it for you)

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

orange juche posted:

your brain is as smooth as a freshly zamboni'd hockey rink

Kinda rude. If you have no arguments and have to resort to Ad Hominems, you could say - as smooth as a bitcoin transaction in El Salvadore :D

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

This is the lightning network bullshit where they're not actually sending BTC to each other right

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

has anyone said lightning buttwork?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I feel like I already know the answer to this but did the tether printer folks ever show their work that every tether is backed by a real USD?

Follow up that I've never really understood: why not just use actual USD (if the answer is fraud then don't worry about it)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: woop was further behind in the thread than I thought

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Somfin posted:

This is the lightning network bullshit where they're not actually sending BTC to each other right

its bitcoin beach where i'm sure they have a lightning node running handling the town's transactions.

ilmucche posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this but did the tether printer folks ever show their work that every tether is backed by a real USD?

Follow up that I've never really understood: why not just use actual USD (if the answer is fraud then don't worry about it)

no. the true amount of cash is <3%, liquid assets i forget but not that much better.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

salt shakeup posted:

Kinda rude. If you have no arguments and have to resort to Ad Hominems, you could say - as smooth as a bitcoin transaction in El Salvadore :D

no one in this thread clicks links, if you dont like that fact you have seraph to thank for it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

its bitcoin beach where i'm sure they have a lightning node running handling the town's transactions.

So yeah, not a real Bitcoin transaction, just a couple folks showing off a theoretically ideal situation for a camera lol

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ilmucche posted:

They said at one point ages ago that it was backed like 60 or 70% or something (and it didn't seem to matter to anyone) and then after a court settlement with the NYAG they released a ridiculous series of pie charts that showed it was backed by at most 3% cash (and it didn't seem to matter to anyone)

the appeal of using stablecoins is, I guess, that you are just swapping coins instead of creating a taxable event by exiting the crypto ecosystem into actual money (in australia, at least, this is completely false, and every exchange is taxable). It has numerous other benefits for the supply-side of crypto including, as you say, a smokescreen for fraud and banking troubles, and keeping money in the system. I get the impression a lot of people don't even realise what they are holding and think that USDT/USDC/whatever are just dollars by a different name

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
it's actually the lightning notwork

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Wasn't it also the case that the bank account holding the cash for the 3% of tether was also emptied out completely shortly after they got the report of holding?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Put all the lightning up my butthoel.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chadzok posted:

They said at one point ages ago that it was backed like 60 or 70% or something (and it didn't seem to matter to anyone) and then after a court settlement with the NYAG they released a ridiculous series of pie charts that showed it was backed by at most 3% cash (and it didn't seem to matter to anyone)

the appeal of using stablecoins is, I guess, that you are just swapping coins instead of creating a taxable event by exiting the crypto ecosystem into actual money (in australia, at least, this is completely false, and every exchange is taxable). It has numerous other benefits for the supply-side of crypto including, as you say, a smokescreen for fraud and banking troubles, and keeping money in the system. I get the impression a lot of people don't even realise what they are holding and think that USDT/USDC/whatever are just dollars by a different name

I thought the point of stablecoin was to back against price shocks so people could cash out their coins for USD at anytime.

Which...leads to more questions like, then in what way is coin a currency if you just constantly convert to USD but whatever.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

junan_paalla posted:

And this is completely ignoring the (unsolved, handwaved away) logistical nightmare of everyone needing to know the (constantly changing) balance between every other channel at all times to enable efficient routing of transactions. And nodes need to be constantly online and monitoring their channels so that you can contest someone trying to close the channel between you two in a "untrue" state.

biggest problem with it I believe is finding a path from point a to b where the channels are essentially networks connected to other networks where you need to find an optimal path through. the white paper just states that routing works on the internet so it should be no problem. of course internet routing is a trust based system which is somewhat different to a trustless system where nodes take a cut if your payment is routed through them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Illuminti posted:

I posted this a few pages back

https://twitter.com/thacryp/status/1406592948821692423?s=20

He sold it all at 50k

How could he know this? Bitcoin is anonymous!

I mean, anonymous unless someone does a trivial amount of forensic accounting.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The tether "reserves" thing is funny but what's rather interesting is that 30 days before the NYAG settlement tether issuance and binance related wallets suddenly went quiet and tether abruptly became really loving stable and stayed that way for 30 days. Immediately after the settlement the issuance ramped up again and tether resumed bouncing around $1/per again.

Bitcoin also abruptly stopped growing during this period.

Pretty clear they are actively loving with the market to create arbitrage opportunities, and that it is at the very least questionably legal because they felt the need to hide it.

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

Isn't it Strike's private Lightning Network running there because the 'real' one is even more of a poo poo show? Completely trustless & decentralised!

In all seriousness, these people are going to get scammed for the USD that their families sent them in support which is just a terrible thing to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jokes posted:

Funnily enough, itchy and scratchy money probably is worth more than a crypto coin because those game token situations are usually required by law to be worth something, usually $0.00005/token or something.

The Disney Dollars they're a parody of, I'm wondering if they might be like Confederate money where crazy collectors will pay more than stated value for them. (and Disney has a loving religion of those)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Somfin posted:

So, basically they all created an account at NotPaypal™ and are pushing numbers back and forth on an internal ledger.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

kw0134 posted:

So, basically they all created an account at NotPaypal™ and are pushing numbers back and forth on an internal ledger.

yes. to make the trustless blockchain work you need to remove the blockchain part and the trustless part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Sounds like digital farmers market bucks.