Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jamie Faith posted:

Michael Bay was a producer for Bumblebee lol

Yeah, but he had zero input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Smoke stacks, huh? Scourge is one of those names that gets thrown around a lot, but maybe some shades of the RID character?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Smoke stacks, huh? Scourge is one of those names that gets thrown around a lot, but maybe some shades of the RID character?

It's kinda settled on 'Evil Optimus' recently.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That blue head kind of kills SG Goldbug for me. The car mode looks great though. Don’t know why they didn’t just do a regular Goldbug as some sort of bone to throw people who missed Bumblebee.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Just so we're clear, this is what I was talking about with my "not quite transtech but" thing

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

That blue head kind of kills SG Goldbug for me. The car mode looks great though. Don’t know why they didn’t just do a regular Goldbug as some sort of bone to throw people who missed Bumblebee.
They can't use the bug mold without paying VW so it'll probably never get reused, and maybe they figured making regular Goldbug as a fake Porsche was too big of a change. I looked up what the original SG Goldbug was and he was also a sports car.

I was hoping for Glyph/Tapout repaints, but they've already used that mold so many times it's just seeming more and more unlikely.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That reminds me that I did see a gold colored VW bug a month or so ago after seeing that red one. Being from the Detroit area, I used to see knock off movie Bumblebee’s all the time. Possibly saw the actual Barricade car.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Apparently still gonna be Autobots and Decepticons alongside Maximals and Predacons. Main Autobots Prime, Bumblebee, Mirage and Arcee (the latter 2 will be a Porsche 911 and Ducati 916- so probably more of a Transformers Prime style design for Arcee), main Maximals Primal, Airazor and Rhinox, set in '94, seems to maybe be continuing continuity from Bumblebee?

Does using a Porsche make sense is Hasbro can't use the alt mod for toys?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Every figure coming out has some sort up gap filling upgrade kit lately. Beginning to think its just Takara purposely skimping 10cents worth of plastic on these figures to sell off an "upgrade kit" for $20 a pop under a different company name.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it is weird how gappy the official transformers are atm. i get it when its part of the transformation and they didnt want to engineer a little door to open and close to collapse a thigh or w/e into, but theres stuff that has no reason to be super hollow that is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They better get Garry Chalk to be Primal in the new movie if they're insisting on keeping Cullen as well. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The injection molding process always leaves a hollow section. Any time something isn't visibly hollow, it's because either the hollowness was able to be concealed through the transformation, articulation engineering, or character design, or HasTak splurged on a gap-cover, which needs to be a separate molded piece which increases partscount. Partscount is a more serious commodity than actual plastic mass a lot of the time, and with the rising standards of ankle and wrist articulation, it's more scarce than ever in designer budgets even as retail prices increase.

Not to mention that plastic mass budgets are also a consideration, still. So with WFC's increased focus on character scale, Ultra Magnus can only be as massive as he is if large chunks of him are hollow space, to increase volume relative to mass.

It's unfortunate, and capitalism bad, but until Hasbro figures out how to incorporate cheap bioplastics (which don't really exist yet) into their production pipeline, these compromises will continue to exist and probably increase.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Every figure coming out has some sort up gap filling upgrade kit lately. Beginning to think its just Takara purposely skimping 10cents worth of plastic on these figures to sell off an "upgrade kit" for $20 a pop under a different company name.

My former Transformers dealer had a conspiracy theory that the high-quality OSKO figures were all made by Hasbro shell companies.

Also he doesn't sell HasTak Transformers anymore because he thought the Siege and first wave Studio Series all looked bad.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm kind of interested in the new movie, mainly because it's not made by Bay and also because part of it is gonna be filmed and set on my country. The government is already using the Autobots logo to promote the film, my friends who work on media are wondering if there's any chance to work in the crew.

I just hope I don't see Scourge destroying most of my country cultural heritage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like it kinda got lost in there but Ben mentioned Mirage is going to be a Porsche 911

So, uh, yeah, how about that

(Arcee as a Ducati 916 and I am already stoked, goddammit)

Good ol' Ben Yee!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My favorite part of the first Transformers movie is the Detroit locations, but for some reason they don’t have the movie take place there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not even necessarily the plastic cost that drives it so much as the assembly steps cost. Every bit you need to put onto a toy is another stage in a process, and there are only so many stages one person can do, so by adding two simple flaps you could end up needing an extra person per assembly line, which pushes up the labour cost by whatever percentage, and that ends up being multiplied down the line until the toy costs :5bux: more.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hmm...

Phy posted:

Looks like it kinda got lost in there but Ben mentioned Mirage is going to be a Porsche 911

So, uh, yeah, how about that

(Arcee as a Ducati 916 and I am already stoked, goddammit)

Good ol' Ben Yee!

They better be able to make a Masterpiece Jazz now. :colbert:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

My favorite part of the first Transformers movie is the Detroit locations, but for some reason they don’t have the movie take place there.

At least for the first movie, the plot (such as it is) requires the third act to take place within driving distance of the Hoover Dam, so it was probably easier to invent a random California city that just happened to contain a famous Michigan landmark.

The other ones also filmed in Detroit though, so you'd think at least one of those times they'd stumble onto a thematic parallel between that city and the decline of a formerly prosperous planet populated entirely by automobiles.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Yeah, the third one used the Packard Plant I think to double up as Chicago and I think the fifth one used Jefferson Avenue to stand-in for London, except Bay forgot to airbrush some of those very obvious American street signs away and also that most London streets aren't nearly as wide as Detroit's

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 23, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Hmm...

They better be able to make a Masterpiece Jazz now. :colbert:

THIS.

And a Cliffjumper too.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Absolute waste of a time period to be setting your movie in 1992 and not going all in on the turbomaster aesthetic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want neon hot pink everywhere.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Exactly!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

really the only correct conclusion to draw in most circumstances

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm prepared for Rise Of The Beasts to have nothing to do with Beast Wars in any significant way, and certainly not using any of the characterisation and relationship drama that was key to the series. It'll be another modern transformer movie, this time with more beast modes. And that's fine.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It'll probably end in a smash cut to an extreme close-up BW Megatron saying "yeeees", maybe a mid credits stinger so that's the final thing all the big fans remember so it gets a 6* rating

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i would like a new version of the gold laser rod autobot, because mine turned into dust when i was a little kid and i was very sad

ive been trying to figure out how big scorponok is in the IDW comics, but he seems to constantly change size. sometimes he's massive and sometimes he's just the same height as grimlock. mostly because I'm really tempted by the earthrise scorponok and i want to know if it would be a decent stand-in for an IDW style scorponok.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i would like a new version of the gold laser rod autobot, because mine turned into dust when i was a little kid and i was very sad

ive been trying to figure out how big scorponok is in the IDW comics, but he seems to constantly change size. sometimes he's massive and sometimes he's just the same height as grimlock. mostly because I'm really tempted by the earthrise scorponok and i want to know if it would be a decent stand-in for an IDW style scorponok.

He settles down to "a big but standard Transformer" size, like Fortress Maximus. Earthrise Scorponok is too big to stand in for him.

The head should have been a smaller Scorpy, not a bigger Zarak.

Also, it should have had the mpreg mode.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 23, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

It'll probably end in a smash cut to an extreme close-up BW Megatron saying "yeeees", maybe a mid credits stinger so that's the final thing all the big fans remember so it gets a 6* rating

If Megatron doesn't end his sentences in Yess I'll be very disappointed. But they'll need to jettison Hugo Weaving, I don't think he can pull off a suave self centered yes like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weaving left after the third one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Yeah, the third one used the Packard Plant I think to double up as Chicago and I think the fifth one used Jefferson Avenue to stand-in for London, except Bay forgot to airbrush some of those very obvious American street signs away and also that most London streets aren't nearly as wide as Detroit's

They even filmed a Hong Kong scene for one of the movies in Detroit as well. Guy I know was in a deleted shot where he's pulled from a overturned car.

And I've mentioned before that Barricade attacks Sam in the first movie at the same location that Batman and Superman fight.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm prepared for Rise Of The Beasts to have nothing to do with Beast Wars in any significant way, and certainly not using any of the characterisation and relationship drama that was key to the series. It'll be another modern transformer movie, this time with more beast modes. And that's fine.

Yeah, at most they'll maybe, maybe have Dinobot as a Predacon/Terrorcon underling that changes sides at the end.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Beast Wars turned out the way it did because of very specific confluence of circumstances in the mid-90s, basically a fluke. I am sure the toys will be very cool but we already know what these movies are like.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So long as it hews closer to Bumblebee (or even '07) than to the later Bay films in terms of characterization, I'll be ok.

I did a post in pyf about humans always getting looped into TF drama in part to sell the scale, that these are giant robots, and it got me thinking about how when TF media goes to other planets that aren't Earth, the people there are often transformer-sized, so it makes it easier to show them interacting with transformers face-to-face. Even if they're biological.

Its kind of weird that it indirectly sets up Earth as, like, the Pygmy Planet.

Which reminds me that somewhere in the fluff for either Macross or Robotech, the Destroids and VFs originally got built with humanoid modes so they could fight the giant Zentraedi hand-to-hand if necessary... So forget the exo-suits, Spike and Carly shoulda been rocking up in Battlemechs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got Snapdragon, and he's everything Doubledealer's not. Much better animal form with no delicate wings (and the animal arms fold away in a really clever and interesting way), very nice plane mode with no kibble underneath, the biggest issue is probably that the robot mode has limited articulation from the fins and cones on the arms, but I do prefer for the alt-modes to have priority over robot mode.

There's also an issue with after transforming a few times, the tail/fuselage/robot legs aren't pegging together too well and there's issues with getting the jaw on or opening the lil' cockpit doors.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It'll be a story about a young boy/girl who's just so darn quirky, who roller blades to their favorite comic book store/7-11 for a slurpee, listening to iconic 90s music! on their CD player Walkman coming home to parents who just don't understand how much they want but ultimately can't afford a robot monkey that would totally change their lives into something meaningful. Maybe a few scenes in their bedroom full of posters for sonic or Full House and them logging onto AOL to hear the "you've got mail!" ding oh maybe it's about a robot monkey!!! Nope it's some spam mail...
A 20 second or less scene with actual robots doing something then back to the boy/girl sad at school yadda yadda for 30 more min maybe an hour ok time to introduce the cool older uncle or maybe town weird guy who pulls a giant tarp off .....[slow dramatic shot of tarp flying off] a giant robot monkey!!!
"Knew ya always wanted one kid and well maybe thought it was time..."
Some more poo poo happens for 20min before something causes this robot monkey to TRANS-FORM!!! and w-w-w-whaaat!!! It's Optimus Primal!!!!! *beast wars guitar riff plays* rest of the movie sucks but pulls 895million maybe the 3rd sequel has rattrap. End

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hopefully Haley Steinfeld returns because she was great in Bumblebee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Hopefully Haley Steinfeld returns because she was great in Bumblebee.

They've already announced the cast. Steinfeld's not in it. I don't even think she's done shooting Hawkeye yet?