Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, how's delta on fomite transmission because :lol: even the grocery pickers aren't masking here anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
even. the. grocery. pickers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helith posted:

Yes we should be in lockdown. I wonder if Gladys will want to try a local lockdown of just the eastern suburbs, but I'm not sure how you would even manage that as they are not as easy to isolate as the Northern Beaches were back in Dec.

Melbourne tried to just do postcode lockdowns in June 2020 and that obviously didn't work and was a direct contributor to the situation getting so much worse and, therefore, the inevitable lockdown lasting longer than it would've otherwise.

Yet even now coming out of the latest lockdown the news is interviewing business owners saying poo poo like "I just think it needs to be more proportionate, they should just lock down the area where the clusters are."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

even. the. grocery. pickers.

yeah, so you know. the people who may be ordering groceries because they're medically sensitive and picking them up curbside get pickers breathing all over everything in a place that has around 30% vaccinated. It's great. nobody is delivering curbside masked anyhow, hence why I'm asking if anybody has data on touch transmission for the new covid bitch about to gently caress us.

E: :lol: if you think that asking for a safe method for medically sensitive people to get groceries during a pandemic is some kind of oppression.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 23, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, how's delta on fomite transmission because :lol: even the grocery pickers aren't masking here anymore

Even if it were one hundred times worse then the wild type, it would still constitute only one in a hundred instances of transmission.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

If I had a first dose of AZ I'd want an mrna boost. It seems to give better results that way.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so far it seems like mix and match works just as good as this.

Ah okay that makes sense.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The servants should not only be masked, they should be muzzled

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I've been injecting the vaccine into my rear end, daily

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wait, why are people scoffing at the Moderna vaccine over Pfizer’s?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

same reason my skis are k2s not rossignols. bragging rights

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

Brands

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Is it because Pfizer is the dick pill people?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: :lol: if you think that asking for a safe method for medically sensitive people to get groceries during a pandemic is some kind of oppression.

probably find a better way to express it than "even the grocery pickers" as if theyre subhuman.

I don't even know how you're groceries work but I suspect the poor people picking your groceries for you during a pandemic are more at risk of oppression than you are.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

Yes we should be in lockdown. I wonder if Gladys will want to try a local lockdown of just the eastern suburbs,

It's already spread beyond the eastern suburbs. And schools holidays start this weekend.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lolie posted:

It's already spread beyond the eastern suburbs. And schools holidays start this weekend.

Yeah just saw the news about the young child testing positive who attended a childcare centre in Narellan.
It's going to need a Greater Sydney lockdown, if we lockdown.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Space Camp fuckup posted:

The servants should not only be masked, they should be muzzled

This will be the plot of David Cage's next game

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

Yeah just saw the news about the young child testing positive who attended a childcare centre in Narellan.
It's going to need a Greater Sydney lockdown, if we lockdown.

There's also someone who travelled from Sydney to New Zealand.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

probably find a better way to express it than "even the grocery pickers" as if theyre subhuman.

I don't even know how you're groceries work but I suspect the poor people picking your groceries for you during a pandemic are more at risk of oppression than you are.

remember when the thread told me to get curbside groceries because they were safer. maybe you weren't here then. hence, why I'm asking. but hey yeah sure, my non-white, non-christian, disabled, rainbow rear end sure doesn't deal with any sort of issues in a bible belt state. d'you feel strong? y'feel big and powerful after telling me to rephrase a question based around "is delta going to be a bigger hazard since there is no way to escape maskless people now"?

I hope you do.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
14 new cases and an extension of restrictions. We're now back to limited capacity on public transport and reduced capacity in venues.

Masks are now recommended in the workplace except when speaking. It's not clear whether this will be mandatory but it hasn't happened before.

It's fair to say that with 13 new cases since 8pm last night, we're in trouble.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

remember when the thread told me to get curbside groceries because they were safer. maybe you weren't here then. hence, why I'm asking. but hey yeah sure, my non-white, non-christian, disabled, rainbow rear end sure doesn't deal with any sort of issues in a bible belt state. d'you feel strong? y'feel big and powerful after telling me to rephrase a question based around "is delta going to be a bigger hazard since there is no way to escape maskless people now"?

I hope you do.

i dont feel very strong no. still think your question reeks of privilege

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah, so you know. the people who may be ordering groceries because they're medically sensitive and picking them up curbside get pickers breathing all over everything

if you're worried about it set the groceries off to the side for a while instead of complaining about the people working a low wage lovely job

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I disagree with FB about a great deal, but in no way is FB pulling socioeconomic rank on grocery pickers here. Could've been clearer, but benefit of the doubt on the reading.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lolie posted:

Masks are now recommended in the workplace except when speaking.
Lol what on earth

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

I disagree with FB about a great deal, but in no way is FB pulling socioeconomic rank on grocery pickers here. Could've been clearer, but benefit of the doubt on the reading.

I don't even know how someone gets "EXCUSE ME BUT THE SERVANTS MAY BE PLAGUISH TODAY" out of "hey do I need to worry about fomite transfer on delta since it's a big rear end in a top hat and you can't even assume that curbside is safe anymore 'cuz it's not" but hey, that person sure did. Very thanks for the support.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol what on earth

Yeah, I don't know whether the journalists got that wrong or not.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The weirdest restriction in lockdown-allergic Sydney is that people who live or work in one of the LGAs where the clusters are may no longer leave metropolitan Sydney. Of course they're free to travel all around the city itself and this is a completely unenforced Scout's honour system anyway. School holidays begin next week and there are absolutely going to be thousands and thousands of people ignoring that restriction and heading out to holiday spots.

Fully expect that this will be brought under control by contact tracing anyway, but if it does get worse, in the coming days I predict we'll see Berejiklian try LGA lockdowns, which won't work, followed by a metropolitan lockdown, which will go on for much longer than it would've had to if she just sucked it up and did a one-week lockdown now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

The weirdest restriction in lockdown-allergic Sydney is that people who live or work in one of the LGAs where the clusters are may no longer leave metropolitan Sydney. Of course they're free to travel all around the city itself and this is a completely unenforced Scout's honour system anyway. School holidays begin next week and there are absolutely going to be thousands and thousands of people ignoring that restriction and heading out to holiday spots.

Fully expect that this will be brought under control by contact tracing anyway, but if it does get worse, in the coming days I predict we'll see Berejiklian try LGA lockdowns, which won't work, followed by a metropolitan lockdown, which will go on for much longer than it would've had to if she just sucked it up and did a one-week lockdown now.

Gladys telling people who work in hot spot LGAs to either work from home or live where they work for the next week was just priceless. Does she seriously think people can afford to just shell out for hotels so they're not trekking between their home and hot spots every day?

The masks in the workplace mandate is also curious. How in the hell do they plan to enforce that when they can't even enforce masks on public transport?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

People choosing Pfizer over Moderna is a consequence of the authorities pretending that all vaccines are the same.

Not everyone is credulous enough to believe that there’s no difference. They know that Pfizer’s vaccine posted excellent numbers in trials and ever since and that that’s the one that the fat cats in Washington got. They’re not knowledgeable enough to know that Moderna’s vaccine is so similar in structure and performance that it makes a fine substitute, but they’re more knowledgeable than most.

I thought that Moderna did slightly better in trials, but not so much better that Pfizer and Moderna aren't functionally the same.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought that Moderna did slightly better in trials, but not so much better that Pfizer and Moderna aren't functionally the same.

That's my understanding. I got 2 doses of Moderna and am quite happy about it, but I would've been fine with Pfizer, too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fluffy, 99 is a wind up merchant
99, Fluffy has spent the pandemic doing hundreds and hundreds of covid funerals.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i suppose at disneyland all the lowly paid staff are masked by their giant goofy heads.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Oh goody.

quote:

India has declared a new coronavirus variant of concern, with nearly two dozen cases detected in three states.

The variant, identified locally as "Delta plus", was found in 16 cases in the state of Maharashtra, federal Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan told a news conference.

Other cases were detected in Kerala and Madhya Pradesh.

The ministry said Delta plus showed increased transmissibility and advised states to increase testing.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-23/india-raises-alarm-over-delta-plus-covid-19-variant/100238708

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Not only that, as soon as people get a whiff of a lockdown they'll be fleeing the metro area to their holiday houses up the coast.

Edit - now there's rumours of an impending lockdown in Sydney

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 23, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of Australia, there's been two people who died from blood clot complications after the vaccine but idiot right-wing politician Pauline Hanson has been going around claiming that the vaccines have killed over 200 Australians because she doesn't understand how words work. Here's a very patient Sky News journo trying to explain to her that different words have different meanings but she's not having a bar of it

https://twitter.com/ABCmediawatch/status/1406943305888198662

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Apparently as of this morning we've already sequenced 41 cases of it here in the UK. We might be a bit crap in our covid handing but we've got a world beating variant importation system in place.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Fluffy, 99 is a wind up merchant
99, Fluffy has spent the pandemic doing hundreds and hundreds of covid funerals.

My day job is broke-rear end writer so :colbert:

And I don't get paid for the funerals at all; it's all voluntary.

mr_jolly posted:

Apparently as of this morning we've already sequenced 41 cases of it here in the UK. We might be a bit crap in our covid handing but we've got a world beating variant importation system in place.

I will definitely give y'all that.

Cspam has been joking about the variety of Delta variants vs Delta airline seating and it was very good in the face of yet another murdervirus showing up to kick our poo poo in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Cspam has been joking about the variety of Delta variants vs Delta airline seating and it was very good in the face of yet another murdervirus showing up to kick our poo poo in.

Covid airline seating doesn't need any help to be funny

quote:

Airbus designs inflight Covid quarantine tent

(CNN) — As more airplanes return to the skies, airports and airlines continue to enforce measures designed to keep passengers as safe as possible while Covid-19 remains a problem.
But even though face masks and temperature checks are commonplace -- as are destination requirements for proof of vaccination or negative test -- there's still a possibility that a passenger could develop Covid symptoms mid-flight.

On a packed airplane, it can be tricky to actually isolate a symptomatic traveler in line with the two-meter distance recommended by global aviation body IATA and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That's what Airbus' PaxCASE (Passenger Containment Area for Symptomatic Events) concept is intended for -- its semi-transparent plastic sheeting encircles a potentially infectious passenger in an isolation bubble.
Ingo Wuggetzer, vice president of cabin marketing at Airbus, tells CNN Travel that PaxCASE is designed to either be in a fixed position in the airplane cabin -- on a kind of curtain rail -- or work as removable sheeting, to be fixed into place on the ceiling by strong tape.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/airbus-paxcase-inflight-quarantine-concept/index.html

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
How does that privacy cabin compromise the integrity of the plane and get thousands killed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sjs00 posted:

How does that privacy cabin compromise the integrity of the plane and get thousands killed

TERRORISTS will use the privacy afforded by the booth to burrow through the skin of the aircraft with nail clippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Platystemon posted:

TERRORISTS will use the privacy afforded by the booth to burrow through the skin of the aircraft with nail clippers.

Excuse me sir you will need to step this way and come with us