Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

They're just there to make the world feel a little more alive and interesting.

I guess, but like, using the jump rope as an example, the frustrating aspect of the activity ends up overshadowing the potential benefits granted by it, to me at least.

The fact that it's merely there intrinsically compels you to complete it. I suppose the reward for having done 1k jumps is just to prove to someone online or to your local friends with access to your save file that you actually did it and totally weren't lying, but none of those benefits are interesting or compelling enough to me.

Which goes back to what I said that I usually just end up avoiding them entirely, because instead of giving the dopamine, it gives adrenaline (anger) instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im playing banner of the maid again, it still has cute ladies, i'll try to complete it this time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess, but like, using the jump rope as an example, the frustrating aspect of the activity ends up overshadowing the potential benefits granted by it, to me at least.

The fact that it's merely there intrinsically compels you to complete it. I suppose the reward for having done 1k jumps is just to prove to someone online or to your local friends with access to your save file that you actually did it and totally weren't lying, but none of those benefits are interesting or compelling enough to me.

Which goes back to what I said that I usually just end up avoiding them entirely, because instead of giving the dopamine, it gives adrenaline (anger) instead.

I have never once felt compelled to complete anything in a game. For instance i played skyrim for over 200 hours and never bothered with completing the main quest. So your assertion comes across as completely foreign to me and i have a feeling a lot of the people youre responding to are the same way

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

im playing banner of the maid again, it still has cute ladies, i'll try to complete it this time

i wanted to like that game but idk, the actual gameplay felt off in a vague way i cant quite verbalize

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have never once felt compelled to complete anything in a game. For instance i played skyrim for over 200 hours and never bothered with completing the main quest. So your assertion comes across as completely foreign to me and i have a feeling a lot of the people youre responding to are the same way

Maybe it's OCD but if it's in the game I have to at least try it, otherwise, why would the developers put it there, they must have thought it was fun? I don't think this is a weird concept.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well yeah, but I think the fact that there's no meaningful reward behind them is sort of a signal that they were intended to be skipped if you didn't find them intrinsically fun. I sure don't. I've finished FF9 like half a dozen times and I've never completed the jump rope minigame or the Hippaul running one or any of those things. I know they're not fun for me so I just mess around with them a little bit and move on.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People were pretty down on d6 when it came out in Japan that I'm a bit wary of it.

I haven't played a Disgaea game since 2 but I'm a little curious about it. It's been a really long time and I remember loving them--I never really did postgame stuff but I had a great time just doing the main story in 1 and 2. The last one I tried was I think 4 and I had one of those "think about all the various systems and get vaguely overwhelmed about how I don't want to deal with it and stop playing" moments, though I'm aware that I could probably have ignored half of that and still had a fun time :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The fact that it's merely there intrinsically compels you to complete it
it does not to me, at all. the game never even tells you there's a reward for getting 10k or whatever. it just says itll track your scores. trying it a bit is one thing but why would you assume theres some massive reward (and there isnt one either.) theres no indication its even a thing that can be completed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I like playing games to the end of the main story and/or the credits sequence. Sometimes optional content is great if the cost/reward balance is in my favor. I rarely go after super bosses.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe it's OCD but if it's in the game I have to at least try it, otherwise, why would the developers put it there, they must have thought it was fun? I don't think this is a weird concept.

Trying it out sounds fun! Getting mad that it exists and wanting it removed because the devs put in a small easter egg for the players who really master it is a terrible way to look at games.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm sure at least one person on the dev team thought that the jump rope minigame was fun, and on the flip side I am sure that there were also people on the dev team that didn't care for it one bit but didn't mind keeping it since it's an entirely optional minigame.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

I haven't played a Disgaea game since 2 but I'm a little curious about it. It's been a really long time and I remember loving them--I never really did postgame stuff but I had a great time just doing the main story in 1 and 2. The last one I tried was I think 4 and I had one of those "think about all the various systems and get vaguely overwhelmed about how I don't want to deal with it and stop playing" moments, though I'm aware that I could probably have ignored half of that and still had a fun time :v:

Yea they've gone pretty far into the idea that most of the complicated systems are there for when you do the postgame, and engaging with some of those systems before then can completely break the difficulty curve for the main story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I'm sure at least one person on the dev team thought that the jump rope minigame was fun, and on the flip side I am sure that there were also people on the dev team that didn't care for it one bit but didn't mind keeping it since it's an entirely optional minigame.
there is actually a dev story about this: one guy put it in for kicks, everyone tested it a bit and nobody was any good at it, they moved on but left it in as flavor, one guy got really good at it and showed off how good he was at it to everyone, they asked him if hed been doing anything useful lately or just this and he mumbled a bit and wandered off and nobody ever talked about jump rope again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tonfa posted:

the reward item is a line of text in your inventory that says hey. good job. you did the minigame real good.

it could not possibly have less impact on the game outside the minigame.

If you wanna be pedantic that meaningless reward item goes towards your treasure hunter rank, but:
- it’s stupid easy to max it out just by playing/doing not poo poo side quests, and if you think every side quest (Chocobo Hot and Cold) is poo poo then why the gently caress do you care?
- Not only does maxing it out not do anything iirc it’s actively detrimental since Gilgamesh peaces out on completion and he has Tetra Master cards if you hate your self.

Harrow posted:

6 kinda seems simplified compared to the older games, and also it kinda seems to lean into the “get to level 99,999! Get umpteen gajillion attack!” in a way that seems like it might permeate into the main campaign. You might wanna try Disgaea 5 if you have a Switch since it plays the best of all them as an SRPG and it’s gonna be much cheaper.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’ve been playing Bravely Default 2 for about five days. I have 9999 hp and 999 mp on every character and every job I’ve unlocked so far at level 12. Am I playing it wrong? Should I restart? I didn’t think I was grinding that hard. Is the game just gonna suck from now on? Near start of chapter two.

You maxed every single job as you got them and didn't think you were grinding that hard? :thunk:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't know if I was just in the mood for something simple and fun this year or what, but every time I play FFV for fiesta, I end up liking it a little more. :unsmith:

There's some good writing and a lot of silly.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

the true purpose of the jump rope minigame is to try it once, fail, and think "vivi is precious and must be protected"

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I will get every other ultimate weapon in FFX but Lightning Dodger can crawl into a fire and die and I hope whoever was responsible for it has a very nice day.

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 23, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As a fan of Ys VIII, and eagerly waiting Ys IX on PC since Durante is working on it, what JRPGs do the semi open-world thing right? Where you can go off the beaten-track any chapter and find cool poo poo, the sidequests have actual substance, you get rewarded for exploring the map, the journal is comprehensive and won't leave you in the dark, and the main plot still takes precedence?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*devilish grin curls across their face* legend of mana

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

there is actually a dev story about this: one guy put it in for kicks, everyone tested it a bit and nobody was any good at it, they moved on but left it in as flavor, one guy got really good at it and showed off how good he was at it to everyone, they asked him if hed been doing anything useful lately or just this and he mumbled a bit and wandered off and nobody ever talked about jump rope again.

lmao

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Colonel posted:

Explain how tempering works in 50 words or less and you've got a sale.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

As a fan of Ys VIII, and eagerly waiting Ys IX on PC since Durante is working on it, what JRPGs do the semi open-world thing right? Where you can go off the beaten-track any chapter and find cool poo poo, the sidequests have actual substance, you get rewarded for exploring the map, the journal is comprehensive and won't leave you in the dark, and the main plot still takes precedence?

yakuza 7

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I generally dislike the FF minigames anyways, so in the end I avoid doing them at all, but I want the reward item without having participated in the slog of having done them, basically.

If they were easier or less tedious, I wouldn't really have anything to complain about.

I'm mostly in the same boat, though I just don't care about the rewards I guess so it doesn't bother me

The one weird exception is blitzball in X-2, I just kinda dig the "blitzball manager" aspect and it's fun getting a squad and managing their training :shobon:

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

speaking of...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971518

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
i bought legend of mana off psn and couldn't get into it because the combat was a little simpler than i was looking for, and i had absolute choice paralysis by everything. i might check it out on switch because i think it's something i'd be way more into now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone been playing Wyldermyth? Saw it had overwhelmingly positive reviews and gave it a try. Finished the introductory campaign and I quite like it. Not sure how the proc gen campaigns fare but the ones with a general story skeleton seem good, mod support means people can add alot of story and events too which could give the game alot of legs imo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Steam thread has been extremely positive on it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah Bug Fables on game pass. July is for JRPGs baby!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just beat Chapter 5 in Bravely Default 2 and I had fun with it, but I've read a lot of conflicting things about the post-game. Some people say it barely exists and others say it seems huge? I know there's another class, unlocking the level 15 cap for each job, and farming the ultimate weapons from portals - but is there any compellingly difficult content at the end to make it worth doing all of that?

I enjoy the post-game victory lap of grinding everything up to a million, leveling all the jobs and farming gear in job-based RPGs but not unless there's something at the end of the tunnel that I need to do all of that to defeat :| I would legitimately love to play a game that starts after the heroes defeated the big bad of the main storyline and is just a full-game-length version of that post-game grind.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 24, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just beat Chapter 5 in Bravely Default 2 and I had fun with it, but I've read a lot of conflicting things about the post-game. Some people say it barely exists and others say it seems huge? I know there's another class, unlocking the level 15 cap for each job, and farming the ultimate weapons from portals - but is there any compellingly difficult content at the end to make it worth doing all of that?

I enjoy the post-game victory lap of grinding everything up to a million, leveling all the jobs and farming gear in job-based RPGs but not unless there's something at the end of the tunnel that I need to do all of that to defeat :| I would legitimately love to play a game that starts after the heroes defeated the big bad of the main storyline and is just a full-game-length version of that post-game grind.

I'm pretty sure you unlock the final job Bravebearer as part of the story, also Chapter 5 isn't the last chapter. Are you sure you beat the game?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I beat Chapter 5, which is the end of the main storyline where you defeat the final boss and Gloria dies, then the credits roll and you're prompted to save your completed save data. Everything after this point is what I'm referring to as the post-game where you do a victory lap grinding everything to max, raising the jobs level caps, farming/stealing ultimate weapons in the halls of tribulation portals, then ??? to unlock the 'true ending' where Gloria doesn't die.

Maybe this distinction is why some people say the post-game is huge and others say it barely exists though :shrug: I look at it as the post-game having some kind of narrative structure rather than the game not being over yet.

e: Essentially I'm saying that this is my favorite part of RPGs (powering up before the final ultimate ending) but I can't find any information about, e.g., any bosses or difficult battles that exist after this - just about ways to power up, and I'm wondering if there are hard dungeons or bosses at the end of it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 24, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think you're projecting hard and I say this as a person who lowered the game to 5 fps and rigged an autoclicker just do to the stupid 1000 jumps so clearly I also have a completionism problem.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Typically, I don't go for 100% completion, unless it's a game I really like, and the achievements/trophies for it aren't something obscenely difficult or are tied to multiplayer. With something like FF9, I think the problem isn't so much that's there so much to do, it's that you can easily miss a lot of stuff if you don't think to look in the right place or do a specific action, so you play with a guide and/or a checklist open at all times to make sure you don't miss anything. It's part of why I haven't put anymore time into Dark Cloud 2; apart from the game being kind of grindy, you have to fret about making sure you don't miss any of the limited-time photo ideas.

The other vice I have is to compulsion to play games in a series in order. It's why I still haven't played the Witcher 3 yet, because first I have to play the Witcher 2, but before that, I have to play The Witcher 1, and I've been told in the past that you don't have to play Witcher 1, but...well...I will one of these days....

Endorph posted:

its a sidequest so obscure it wasnt discovered for nearly 20 years, how is it wasting your time.

I do feel kind of bad for the dev who put that in, and then had to wait 20 years before someone went, "Oh hey, I guess this is in the game, isn't it?"

Besides, I think the only reward you get from it is a Protect Ring, which you can apparently get elsewhere in the game. FAKE EDIT: Oh, I guess there's an achievement for it, too.

Though I am kind of curious as to why it was setup like it was. If you didn't have that Ultimania guide, you'd never think to specifically to return to Lindblum, and even if you did, you might have passed a point where the quest can no longer be completed. I guess it pads out the game having to run back and forth, but then if you didn't know to do that in the first place, then...? :psyduck:

Frionnel posted:

I think you're projecting hard and I say this as a person who lowered the game to 5 fps and rigged an autoclicker just do to the stupid 1000 jumps so clearly I also have a completionism problem.

How'd you set that up?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Srice posted:

SaGa: Scarlet Grace

I have this so I'll check it out, heard good things about the battle system.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dH4pFu7vnQ

Demo coming tomorrow on both consoles, progress carries over to the full game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I do feel kind of bad for the dev who put that in, and then had to wait 20 years before someone went, "Oh hey, I guess this is in the game, isn't it?"

It's in the japanese ultimania. It was known just not in english

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still so surprising to me that this game exists but drat I'm looking forward to it.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

i normally don't bother with these kinds of demoes but i feel like i might try this one out to get a feel for the battle system maybe

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Max Wilco posted:

How'd you set that up?

It has been a while but i think i used RivaTuner. You have to limit the FPS if using an autoclicker because the game stutters every once in a while and fucks the timing.

This is all dumb and a huge waste of time but at that point i was fighting a battle against the video game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Still crying that this even exists. Every part of it looks so loving good.