Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I love that this page became 'The Many Sins of Hank McCoy'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Need a lot more pages for that.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I'm just waiting for the current series to completely amd utterly dunk on hank.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Dunk him in the Krakoa hole with Sabretooth. Have them escape looking for revenge.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

frodnonnag posted:

I'm just waiting for the current series to completely amd utterly dunk on hank.

He's been utterly horrible, as usual, in X-Force. Like to the point of making me feel some kind of empathy for Omega Red of all people. And I'm not even going to talk about how he's treated my boy Colossus. Let the man do some farming, goddamn.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Honestly, after the latest stunt he pulled during the Gala and the ton of humans killed by vegetable possession, he's got to be heading straight to the hole.

Edit: hold on, this isn't the X-Men thread! Here, have some Molly dunking on Wolvie

Runaways #34 (2021)

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 22, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #15 (1940)

Megalith #2 (1989)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

He's been utterly horrible, as usual, in X-Force. Like to the point of making me feel some kind of empathy for Omega Red of all people. And I'm not even going to talk about how he's treated my boy Colossus. Let the man do some farming, goddamn.

The whole walk of shame bit made me think they were gonna have Wolverine actually gut Hank right there.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A what type of bag?! OH NO!

X-Factor #1

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Uncanny X-Men 166

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Darthemed posted:

Megalith #2 (1989)

Looking at the monster, I can't help but hear hisses and throat-clicks.

"WANT... SOME... COMFY?"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
All who know fear, recline comfortably at the touch of the man-thing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

All-Flash #2 (1941)

Spider-Verse Warzones (2015)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From today's Guardians of the Galaxy (15). The conversation is amusing but I mostly like Rocket's faces.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Darthemed posted:

All-Flash #2 (1941)

Spider-Verse Warzones (2015)

wow that art is ms paint levels of poo poo.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From today's Wolverine (13). No context needed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Darthemed posted:

All-Flash #2 (1941)

He stuck the guy's balls right through the door. That's going to get any sort of charges disputed under the state actor doctrine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You know how a tornado can drive a piece of straw through a tree? Well it turns out the human body is a wet sack of meat.

I'm sorry for your loss.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

wow that art is ms paint levels of poo poo.

One can make beautiful art using MS Paint.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

robziel posted:

Wait what?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

New X-Men #125 (2011)

New X-Men #131 (2011)

"I am also learning to play the drums."

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 23, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"As gay as the next mutant" come the gently caress on, Hank. (I'm assuming) there are literal actual gay mutants (and a bunch of straight ones) that would take very serious issue with that statement, especially in that time period.

Also "one of the world's most prurient telepathic talents" is a great way to say "I like to invade people's minds and look at their kinks"

e: Also, no one can really agree on how Beast should be drawn, can they?

e2: Like, if they want to draw parallels between mutancy and homosexuality, as I know they've done, having a mutant falsely claim to be gay massively confuses the issue. Who greenlit that bullshit?

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 23, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

"As gay as the next mutant" come the gently caress on, Hank. (I'm assuming) there are literal actual gay mutants (and a bunch of straight ones) that would take very serious issue with that statement, especially in that time period.

Also "one of the world's most prurient telepathic talents" is a great way to say "I like to invade people's minds and look at their kinks"

"Ugly blue man with Wolverine hair" is my favourite style of Beast. Why yes I was born in the 1970s how did you guess?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dareon posted:

It depends on which mutation he happens to be on.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've written up an apologia of that subplot before and I forget what I said but I'll say this.

I can easily imagine a parallel universe in which the aftermath of Morrison's run was handled more delicately and in which instead of taking away "Hank is a huge prick who's going to turn evil" they ran with "Hank is evolving beyond binary desire, gay/straight/bi are labels that perhaps mutant culture is outgrowing" which I think parses well with motifs in Morrison's work prior to New X-Men as well as information about their own life since then.

I believe that pending editorial meddling (which you know, is a very real possibility here) Morrison wouldn't have dedicated so much space to this if their intention was "Hank is such an rear end in a top hat, ha." I think there are a few key moments:

1) Emma's "you've never had physical relations with another man" is thin broth. That's what being closeted is. It's a very meagre disqualifier and I can only believe Morrison intended it to be.

2) More crucially, "I'm as gay as the next mutant," and his curious association with not wanting to date a human to "in fact" being gay.

I wonder how this little subplot would have aged if he'd said "queer" instead of "gay"? How much can we attribute to clumsy word-choice? Because I really really loved this as a closeted little weirdo teen who felt stymied by being forced to choose, I felt, between "gay man" and "straight man." Why not think weirder? Why not think in terms of affect, culture, style-- a kind of "homo superior" sprezzatura, of queerness as a mode of comportment and being rather than an on/off toggle about who I wanted to kiss? All of which of course I'd read more about in college and grad school and realize that Morrison wasn't inventing the wheel, they were just spinning it in a way that struck me at the right moment. I thought it was the most thrilling subplot I'd ever read, but of course it just fizzled out.

But what could have been!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wonder if part of the New X-Men Beast thing is at least partially because Morrison was grappling with their own concepts of gender and sexuality norms, given they've since come out as non-binary. Especially since often times when someone comes out later in life it's something they've long known about themselves for awhile.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if part of the New X-Men Beast thing is at least partially because Morrison was grappling with their own concepts of gender and sexuality norms, given they've since come out as non-binary. Especially since often times when someone comes out later in life it's something they've long known about themselves for awhile.

That's my personal hunch but I wouldn't want to like... commit to it without further confirmation. But I think we can compare it to two other, earlier, more prominent investigations of non-cishet gender identity in their work, Lord Fanny in The Invisibles and Rebus in Doom Patrol. Both of which are imperfect from a "representation" standpoint but have a very real frisson of "this is so cool" that makes sense in the hindsight of Morrison themself coming out as non-binary.

I imagine that, working under Marvel being a very different editorial experience than working for Vertigo, there were simply places they could not go in New X-Men. I don't know if pushing further into Beast as in some way queer or otherwise using mutantcy as a lens through which to gently caress around with gender was one of those places but in my mind I like to think it could have been, and that was certainly the mental road It got me tiptoeing down way back in 2001/2002.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Have Marvel made Beast queer since then? 'Cause I haven't read the arc where that stuff happens but as somebody who is queer, those panels out of context read an awful lot like somebody who hasn't realised they're queer and is taking advantage of a situation where they can explore that identity, while also having a safe way to walk it back ("It was all just a ruse to fool my ex-girlfriend"). It's very much a safe coming out fantasy in that respect, although I'm not sure if that's intentional. Like, all the scene between Hank and Scott is missing is a "would it be so bad if I were gay?" from Hank.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Have Marvel made Beast queer since then? 'Cause I haven't read the arc where that stuff happens but as somebody who is queer, those panels out of context read an awful lot like somebody who hasn't realised they're queer and is taking advantage of a situation where they can explore that identity, while also having a safe way to walk it back ("It was all just a ruse to fool my ex-girlfriend"). It's very much a safe coming out fantasy in that respect, although I'm not sure if that's intentional. Like, all the scene between Hank and Scott is missing is a "would it be so bad if I were gay?" from Hank.

Nope, no indication he's anything but hetero

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

SimonChris posted:

"I am also learning to play the drums."

You fucker

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

From today's Guardians of the Galaxy (15). The conversation is amusing but I mostly like Rocket's faces.

The woman in the pilot's seat... is that an art error, is she wearing a mask (either a green ski mask or a pink flesh domino), or does she just look like that?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The woman in the pilot's seat... is that an art error, is she wearing a mask (either a green ski mask or a pink flesh domino), or does she just look like that?

That's Gamora, she just looks like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey is that the lady Quasar that the hyped and then canceled the launch of after Secret Empire?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Napoleon Nelson posted:

That's Gamora, she just looks like that.

Yeah, sometimes it's like a natural domino mask and sometimes it's just a slight difference in skin tone, really depends on the artist.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Given the conversation about Ellis right now, part of me wants to edit this into a cartoon about his fanbase teaming up to reject his revival of Fell.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One can make beautiful art using MS Paint.

Oh totally agree,that ain’t it though…

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Hey is that the lady Quasar that the hyped and then canceled the launch of after Secret Empire?

Yes, her and Wendell have become bonded by the Quantum Bands and can switch places by doing a Quantum and Woody with them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Yes, her and Wendell have become bonded by the Quantum Bands and can switch places by doing a Quantum and Woody with them.

Or more like Captain Marvel and Rick Jones?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Or more like Captain Marvel and Rick Jones?

Well yeah, I just knew you of all people would get the klang referrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #16 (1942)

Spider-Verse (2015)

Bonus text panel

Leading Comics #1 (1941)