Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

This whole derail started when discussion the Ford Lightning, which Ford says can provide full-home backup power for 3-10 days. We should find out how true those claims are when people try doing it in late 2022.

have they released anything on how that's supposed to work?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

there aren't any gas generators on the shelves at home depot, and you've got a 50+ kwh traction battery to tap into, and your family's freezing. it's a lovely/dumb situation to be in but c'mon guys dog piling on me 'cause of that really?

i think its already been mentioned but what you do is sleep in the car and shiver during the day. plugging a space heater into your BEV might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard of, and that's including both my posting and yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nomnom Cookie posted:

have they released anything on how that's supposed to work?

they'll provide a 19.2 kw charger, and you have to hire an electrician of their choice to install a cutover so whenever the power goes out your house disconnects from the grid, then the truck's inverter takes over from there

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i think its already been mentioned but what you do is sleep in the car and shiver during the day. plugging a space heater into your BEV might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard of, and that's including both my posting and yours

agreed with everything you said but i dont think your posting sucks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PCjr sidecar posted:

airbag as a dealer installed option sure

just think how many units you can report as shipped if you send them off at 80% to the pickup center for final assembly

even better what if you did it at 50% and used desert parking lots to mothball them until people actually paid for one

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
if you're doing a real generator install, which is what you should be doing if you're that concerned with your local grid, you get the electrician to wire up an "essentials" subsystem served by the generator when you flip the transfer switch

that way you're not running extension cords out through the yard in what's probably inclement weather and you can do stuff like power a few specific outlets and run the fridge if you want without dragging it outta its nook and plugging it into a cord snaking in from a window

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you're doing a real generator install, which is what you should be doing if you're that concerned with your local grid, you get the electrician to wire up an "essentials" subsystem served by the generator when you flip the transfer switch

that way you're not running extension cords out through the yard in what's probably inclement weather and you can do stuff like power a few specific outlets and run the fridge if you want without dragging it outta its nook and plugging it into a cord snaking in from a window

one of many weird electrical things about my house is that it’s got a transfer switch and no generator. guess I’m ready for a lightning?

there are also at least two branch boxes that I know of and some knob and tube in the basement. and one of the basement light fixtures is wired up without a switch. I forget which breaker it’s tied to but definitely one I didn’t expect, like the kitchen or something

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

in 2019 i had an electrician run a 50a line for charging but i'll have to get a 100a line for the lightning. no 80a charging, no vehicle to load. i hope the charger they provide at least has daisy-chain capabilities so i can split the power to another ev

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you own a lightning you may as well get the house wired up so you can provide power to the house, but I guess once you're at the point where you're involving an electrician I can see just buying a generator too. Although you're probably using your truck every day and keeping it maintained, it may be more convenient than a generator that you bought and then forgot about for years, but in a "I may die without power" situation I'd want a generator over a BEV.

RE: that Tesla airbag, nothing I've seen involving Tesla showrooms / service centers makes me think I'd want to own a car that arrived like that. I actually wouldn't want any make of car that shipped out from a factory like that, but most cars that aren't built in a tent have some sort of QC. At least you'd know upon delivery that this is the car in which you'll likely die.

*edit*
I forgot to ask, was there a reason for the new steering yoke? Other than looking "cool" to people who've never driven a car? Like they must have said something about why it's better than a regular wheel.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 23, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

spankmeister posted:

it's 12v nothing will happen the resistance of the human body is too high

It is if you're this dense :v:
(SCNR)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the lightning's power to load is a gimmick but damnit it's a good one

edit: and unlike tesla, their range estimates are waaaay lower than what it can really do

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 23, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had a house where I'd lose power and it'd take SoCal Edison five to seven days to fix the power, and it seemed to happen every other year. Enough power for lights, a fridge, and a computer would have been a huge improvement. Although I'd probably stick with a motorcycle and a generator over a Lightning.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

oh 80 new posts tesla must have imploded or grims broke up and had a meltdown

**faaaaaaaaaaaaart** shitposts from local tesla moron

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

in 2019 i had an electrician run a 50a line for charging but i'll have to get a 100a line for the lightning. no 80a charging, no vehicle to load. i hope the charger they provide at least has daisy-chain capabilities so i can split the power to another ev

your main breaker is rated >100 amp sustained?

do you live in, like, a haunted hospital or something?

edit: oh hey mine’s 200A, the things you learn when you yospost

the car charger is 40A though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

*edit*
I forgot to ask, was there a reason for the new steering yoke? Other than looking "cool" to people who've never driven a car? Like they must have said something about why it's better than a regular wheel.
90% of Tesla's design decisions are "it looks cool or sounds cool in a brochure" even if it has huge real world negative effects. see: doors that don't have a mechanical link

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

FrozenVent posted:

your main breaker is rated >100 amp sustained?

do you live in, like, a haunted hospital or something?

edit: oh hey mine’s 200A, the things you learn when you yospost

the car charger is 40A though

100A @ 110V is only 11kW, which is equivalent to the smallest/cheapest grid hookup you can get here. but idk how american main breakers work, if it's counting 110V or 220V because of the weird split mains thing. around these parts the distribution is done with 400V threephase, so you have that into your breaker panel and then the smallest main breaker you can get is 16A, which means sqrt(3) * 400V * 16A which is just over 11kW. that's okay for many households, especially apartments, but in single family houses 20 and 25A main breakers are not uncommon. 35, 50 and 63A grid hookups are available too but are more exotic and expensive things and as such are much rarer.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 23, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

lots of newer homes in north america use 240v split phase at 200a, and every line can only take up to 80% of the amps so a 50a line can only really do 40a. lots of small businesses and some apartment buildings here use 208v three phase so they have to make sure to get 200v appliances.

edit: my 32a car charger at home charges my car at 7.6 kw, and that same one only gives me 6.6kw at work

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 23, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
when we bought our house we inherited a charger in the garage and the prepurchase inspection dude was very upset it was on a 30a line and not 50. super upset idk.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oh hey it's my niche

The practical application of battery backup, given current consumer-level battery economics and a desire not to destroy your nameplate capacity or WILDLY oversize a typical system, is short term heavy use (like an hour or less of continuous heating/cooling) or long term light use (say, 2 days of power for controls systems). The real killer is if you're quick-cycling heavy motor loads (like, say, an oversized central A/C unit).

If you plan on running heavy HVAC or motor loads for longer than a trivial amount of time, diesel generator is the way to go - it only depletes its fuel during use, can be easily refueled during an outage (this is the big one, honestly), and is usually just plain cheaper per kWh over the lifetime of the install. Just make sure you lock it down, they're pretty easy to steal under a certain size

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

for sure, and if someone buys a lightning hoping to use it as a long term backup, they'll find it's stupid as poo poo to drive 100 miles to the next town that has power only to deplete 1/3 of the pack by the time they get back home

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw an electric Mustang in the wild yesterday, that is all

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking about EV owners carrying a small diesel gen in their trunk to provide emergency power in case they overextend and laughing

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

reading this thread i am very happy to be in a state of mind where i am firmly “whoa i don’t know gently caress all about electrical stuff and that’s why i rely on trained electricians to set things up according to code” instead of being a dunning kruger type of person who misapplies some wrongly understood physics from wikipedia, totally destroying their electrical appliances in the best case scenario

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Penisface posted:

reading this thread i am very happy to be in a state of mind where i am firmly “whoa i don’t know gently caress all about electrical stuff and that’s why i rely on trained electricians to set things up according to code” instead of being a dunning kruger type of person who misapplies some wrongly understood physics from wikipedia, totally destroying their electrical appliances in the best case scenario

are you the guy who paid an electrician $650 to change the lightbulbs in his house to leds?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The fun part about electricity is that there are probably a few dozen ways to guess your way into making something that works 99% of the time but very few ways to make it safe when something unexpected happens

I once encountered a residential receptacle circuit installed to a 50A single-pole breaker. Works great until a fire starts in your walls

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Not a Children posted:

The fun part about electricity is that there are probably a few dozen ways to guess your way into making something that works 99% of the time but very few ways to make it safe when something unexpected happens

I once encountered a residential receptacle circuit installed to a 50A single-pole breaker. Works great until a fire starts in your walls

well the 15 amp kept tripping

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

90% of Tesla's design decisions are "it looks cool or sounds cool in a brochure" even if it has huge real world negative effects. see: doors that don't have a mechanical link

actually op it's a costs-saving measure. you probably save a whole dollar in manufacturing and parts by designing a door-by-wire system, but it's also easier for baby tesla engineers to design

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Not a Children posted:

Thinking about EV owners carrying a small diesel gen in their trunk to provide emergency power in case they overextend and laughing

This is literally the BMW i3.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not a Children posted:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

There is no sensible reason to utilize battery energy as any kind of mall ninja survival plan for when the power goes out. Any money you spend on that specific thought is absolute waste. It's a a Marketing gag to fill the quivers of internet fanboys with lovely non arguments.

If your brain is limited to "house runs on electricity, car runs on electricity, therefore car power house" you have bigger issues to worry about than power outages.

By the way a full tank of gas will idle a passenger vehicle for several days all while producing heat and limited power to keep a small family alive, whereas a BEV will be poo poo out of juice after the first chilly night.

But if you are actually worried about danger and survival, the last bloody thing you do is get a vehicle that requires the operation of the most complex machine in human existence (a national power grid) in order to provide usefulness past being a brick with glass windows.

The whole idea is so incredibly stupid and offensive to anyone who ever spend any amount of time in a distressed third world country/ war zone/ actual disaster area that I'm frankly out of reasonable words.

Jamming a shorted battery up your rear end to keep you warm is like one level above the BEV powered house to be honest.

Get a generator. Plumb away on a combustion engine to heat your house, get a bloody wood stove. Anything is a better suggestion than buying a Duracell with wheels to feel cool that you can Dad out for 4 hours if the power goes off before you are off worse than everybody with a combustion vehicle, who at least can still GTFO.

And if you are really, really ,really worried about heat and power, there are modern wood carburetor engine generators available for relatively small coin that can keep your own woodland poo poo Box powered and heated indefinitely so long as you provide some motor oil.

50 kw electricity, 100 kw thermal. Runs on wood. Buying this and a used Toyota costs less than a Tesla. They are also more environmentally friendly.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

are you the guy who paid an electrician $650 to change the lightbulbs in his house to leds?

that dude rules

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Combat Theory posted:

There is no sensible reason to utilize battery energy as any kind of mall ninja survival plan for when the power goes out. Any money you spend on that specific thought is absolute waste. It's a a Marketing gag to fill the quivers of internet fanboys with lovely non arguments.

If your brain is limited to "house runs on electricity, car runs on electricity, therefore car power house" you have bigger issues to worry about than power outages.

By the way a full tank of gas will idle a passenger vehicle for several days all while producing heat and limited power to keep a small family alive, whereas a BEV will be poo poo out of juice after the first chilly night.

But if you are actually worried about danger and survival, the last bloody thing you do is get a vehicle that requires the operation of the most complex machine in human existence (a national power grid) in order to provide usefulness past being a brick with glass windows.

The whole idea is so incredibly stupid and offensive to anyone who ever spend any amount of time in a distressed third world country/ war zone/ actual disaster area that I'm frankly out of reasonable words.

Jamming a shorted battery up your rear end to keep you warm is like one level above the BEV powered house to be honest.

Get a generator. Plumb away on a combustion engine to heat your house, get a bloody wood stove. Anything is a better suggestion than buying a Duracell with wheels to feel cool that you can Dad out for 4 hours if the power goes off before you are off worse than everybody with a combustion vehicle, who at least can still GTFO.

And if you are really, really ,really worried about heat and power, there are modern wood carburetor engine generators available for relatively small coin that can keep your own woodland poo poo Box powered and heated indefinitely so long as you provide some motor oil.

50 kw electricity, 100 kw thermal. Runs on wood. Buying this and a used Toyota costs less than a Tesla. They are also more environmentally friendly.

thanks for that, last time I looked at woodgas stuff I mostly came across weirdos with hardware store supplies cobbled together. also, holzverstromungsanlage is another wonderous german word.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

lightbulbs don’t involve messing with the wiring generally so no

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Penisface posted:

lightbulbs don’t involve messing with the wiring generally so no

They do it you want smart lamps.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
bazingas: "I'm using an EV that is emission free for the sake of the environment"
also bazingas: "just charge it with a generator in your backyard lol"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I wonder if the mayor of miami is still hooked on getting that sweet tesla tunnel going...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

gschmidl posted:

Some of those have a little Edison base dongle. They're pretty cool.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

gschmidl posted:

ugh no i don’t

anyway my point is that i feel that messing around and installing light fixtures and maybe replacing outlets is cool and good and easy but i absolutely shouldn’t mess with anything more advanced than that

and especially not setting up high voltage circuits for lifehacking my car to power my home ffs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm getting into this late, but Nicklebackvfv or whatever your name is, please record your efforts at jury rigging an EV to roll your own battery arbitrage/backup and supplant utility power -- YouTube has created a few automated playlists of unnecessary and hilariously powerful garage/house fires caused by EVs catching fire and/or exploding doing exactly this thing and yours will make a great addition to the pile

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

reach for the sparks stars

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"how hard can lithium battery capacity/heat/health management be in a circuit involving an inverter" 👀

as someone who has done this a few times for weird one-off EV contacts: hard, and that's with poo poo we had specs and vendor support for, not blackbox oem hardware

edit: please tell me that part of the solution he's proposing is to orchestrate this with the built in inverter and a homerolled control plane

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It really does continue to remain true that a little bit of knowledge and experience "solving" mostly-solved problems in college or the workforce is an exceptionally dangerous thing