Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You can artificially throttle the amount of orders similar to how Disney does it, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwIcOBMdSc

A 1975 TV special celebrating the opening of Space Mountain. Try to count how many things haven't changed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's an example of why Disney was almost purchased and auctioned off in pieces before Eisner. Disney was still being run by "Greatest Generation" types who thought shipping off people to Vietnam would build character. Their idea of 'progressive' is stuff like hiring Tommy Tune because his hair is long like Kids These Days. (Also, whatever director thought to put Tommy's NBA sized body on a little horse and make it hobble down the street surrounded by bicyclists can go to hell.) It's actually hard to believe that Eisner is a bit older than Joe Biden, partially because he never goes away (he still shows up on CNBC and other financial outlets) and buying a billionaire allows you to stave off aging for longer, but also because he understood the boomer mindset so much better than prior Disney CEOs. He wasn't even THAT bad at guessing how Disney could maybe be relevant to 80s kids with ideas like the Lucas collaborations. It was only after the Mermaid -> Lion King run gave him such a big ego that he refused to step away that things started going south.

What's weird is how much of this is a commercial for just how great the resort is and the actual Space Mountain only gets like the last ten minutes, which is at odds with the hype culture of today where you gotta go to the park for HIP NEW THING and also there's like four decades of rides not worth mentioning. Part of this, though, is that they rolled out all these vacation activities outside the park in the years after opening, and the company also took over control of the Poly/Contemporary after their launch being staffed by an outside company was, uh, not disastrous but definitely not good. So there was a lot of reasons to promote recreations and luxurious accommodations given that word was spreading that there was little to do and the hotels were bad.

Disney World wasn't really Disney Friggin' World until Epcot opened.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 22, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/WaltDisneyWorld/status/1407317662762475535

Harmonious kicks off Oct 1, as does a new MK show that I think is replacing Happily Ever After? called Disney Enchantment

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Harmonious show premiering on 10/1

You folks going for the 50th are gonna be trampled by bloggers

^^^^someone else is up this morning drinking coffee and reading twitter as well

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 22, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the fireworks show at MK is only for the 50th, not replacing forever

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Looks like this got deleted. What, uh, was it?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SimplyCosmic posted:

Looks like this got deleted. What, uh, was it?

An idiot jumping off a moving car in Living With the Land, trying to steal a plant, then almost falling off getting back in the car (which is a good way to die on tracked rides, see also: PeopleMover accidents).

The video really wasn't too interesting, other than watching someone doing something stupid that has probably already gotten them banned from the parks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

main street projections =D

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Harmonious show premiering on 10/1

You folks going for the 50th are gonna be trampled by bloggers

^^^^someone else is up this morning drinking coffee and reading twitter as well

better than covid. it is a good day to die at Disney world. *lowers mickey ears helmet*

E: why does everybody want to break the rules at Epcot? is it just the booze atmosphere? why doesn't anybody try to scale cinderella castle?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

better than covid. it is a good day to die at Disney world. *lowers mickey ears helmet*

E: why does everybody want to break the rules at Epcot? is it just the booze atmosphere? why doesn't anybody try to scale cinderella castle?

I once saw someone get on gran fiesta tour with a margarita glass filled to the brim and to this day I still have no idea where they got an actual glass glass. While I scoffed, I was actually kinda jealous they had the foresight to sneak a drink on to what is a lovely, relaxing ride.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

we were at Rose & Crown and saw a Florida-type family assault some waitresses who wouldn't serve them. The mom and daughter were drunk as gently caress, like couldn't keep their heads up. the Dad started screaming so loud, they were ejected after only a few minutes

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Nobody gets drunk at a park like people get drunk at Epcot

Maybe HHN back in the day

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCsA4DlIu5U

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

BlueBayou posted:

Maybe HHN back in the day

Oh man, my first year I got to go to team member preview all the city walk places had like, $1.50 meals and $1 beers beforehand so everyone was trashed. They regularly had people get fired for their guest’s actions that night.

Speaking of HHN, managed to grab an absolutely bonkers AP rate for Portofino Bay on the club level for the second week of HHN. The next morning the rate was gone so I’m pretty glad we pulled the trigger. It’s been probably 3 or 4 years since I’ve stayed at the Universal Hotel so it’ll be nice to be back.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Harmonious looks like its going to be really bad

I want it to be good, but man, I just can't see how

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

chitoryu12 posted:

A 1975 TV special celebrating the opening of Space Mountain. Try to count how many things haven't changed.

I highly recommend checking out Themed Alternative. It's Kevin from Defunctland, Disney Dan and Nate Begle (one of the guys currently playing Crow on MST3K) doing off-the-cuff riffs on all the old Disney park TV specials. Unfortunately, they're abridged to just 15 minutes or so.

The best one is probably the Living Seas, which is full of Disney trying to fill up time with anything water-related they can think of. This leads to a line I won't spoil that is so out of nowhere that it has all three guys dying of laughter.

Also, one of the specials straight-up had Mickey shoot a dude.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Harmonious looks like its going to be really bad

I want it to be good, but man, I just can't see how

Even if it does end up being good, I'll dislike it on the principle that a MaGiCaL DiSnEy show doesn't belong at Epcot.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Gavok posted:

I highly recommend checking out Themed Alternative. It's Kevin from Defunctland, Disney Dan and Nate Begle (one of the guys currently playing Crow on MST3K) doing off-the-cuff riffs on all the old Disney park TV specials. Unfortunately, they're abridged to just 15 minutes or so.

The best one is probably the Living Seas, which is full of Disney trying to fill up time with anything water-related they can think of. This leads to a line I won't spoil that is so out of nowhere that it has all three guys dying of laughter.

Also, one of the specials straight-up had Mickey shoot a dude.

Holy poo poo my wife and I are watching these right now and they're so god drat funny

"Now they're telling me that here they can grow things from the ceiling and I think that's against God's will."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

chitoryu12 posted:

holy poo poo this is the most 70s thing i've seen in...well, in a while

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Enchantment looks neat

Harmonius looks like they took all the worst ideas from Rivers of Light and smashed them into a trash compactor and poo poo them out into World Showcase Lagoon.

E: I am actually down to watch KiteTails because I really liked the shadow puppet poo poo from old ROL, so maybe they'll get some of the same storytellers back or some such?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My biggest problem with the barges is they look like absolute poo poo and ruin the view across the water

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, I hate that too. It looks so bad in the daytime.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

yeah at least with illuminations they hauled it out midway through the afternoon.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

APs looked like they were for sale this morning but it was another false alarm.

Speaking of them, however, has there been any movement on this? Was it ever a thing? We were some of the people who sold ours back when it was clear the parks weren't reopening anytime soon and if we could get them back that would be just swell.

https://wdwnt.com/2020/09/walt-disney-world-allowing-guests-with-a-cancelled-or-expired-annual-pass-to-purchase-a-new-one/

quote:

With the changes to visiting Walt Disney World, Annual Passes have not been available to purchase. Pre-existing Annual Passholders have been able to renew their passes or cancel them, but not purchase new passes outright. Now Walt Disney World is allowing some previous Annual Passholders to purchase a new pass.

This offer is only available to Annual Passholders whose passes were canceled or expired after March 16th, when Walt Disney World Resort first closed. If you qualify and wish to purchase a new pass, you can call the Annual Passholder support line at 407-WDW-PASS (407-939-7277). You can also visit a Guest Relations location at Walt Disney World.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Omne posted:

My biggest problem with the barges is they look like absolute poo poo and ruin the view across the water

I haven't been to Disney in 20 years but I strongly recall they looked worse than the barges you see on the Mississippi.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hazo posted:

Speaking of them, however, has there been any movement on this? Was it ever a thing? We were some of the people who sold ours back when it was clear the parks weren't reopening anytime soon and if we could get them back that would be just swell.

https://wdwnt.com/2020/09/walt-disney-world-allowing-guests-with-a-cancelled-or-expired-annual-pass-to-purchase-a-new-one/

Disney isn't going back to APs until they're 100% sure they won't have to reduce capacity or shutter the parks outright again.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Hazo posted:

We cancelled ours in August of last year when they were going to start billing us again.

My wife called the annual passholder number in May to get them back, not sure what options she chose, but we now have annual passes again. Just went to Hollywood Studios on Saturday.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Going to Disneyland next Monday and I'm so excited.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Roth posted:

I'm not going anytime soon, but your post gave me a push to go click on some dates on the Disneyland reservation website and it made me feel as wistful as the couple from the hero image on the Disneyland reservation website.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lol

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Roth posted:

My wife and I went this week. They are phasing back in the crowds (despite all our days being sold out on the reservation system, there was a huge increase in crowd size from Monday to Wednesday), and if you don't already have reservations at the themed sit-down restaurants (especially the cantina in galaxy edge) you may be out of luck, as we found them almost impossible to get into as they are running at much reduced capacity. Otherwise no issues getting into any rides we wanted and were 4 for 4 this week on the virtual queues. This was my first time back in almost 10 years, and Radiator Springs is still the longest wait in both parks, so some things never change.

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 24, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Their laptop is that modern but they still have VHS tapes around :thunk:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I'm wife and I went this week. They are phasing back in the crowds (despite all our days being sold out on the reservation system, there was a huge increase in crowd size from Monday to Wednesday), and if you don't already have reservations at the themed sit-down restaurants (especially the cantina in galaxy edge) you may be out of luck, as we found them almost impossible to get into as they are running at much reduced capacity. Otherwise no issues getting into any rides we wanted and were 4 for 4 this week on the virtual queues. This was my first time back in almost 10 years, and Radiator Springs is still the longest wait in both parks, so some things never change.

That's a shame. This was a spur of the moment thing, so we weren't able to do any dinner reservations, otherwise I'd have loved to celebrate going back with a Lamplight Lounge visit.

Oh well, looking forward to the corndogs for lunch again, and I've missed Bengal BBQ. Maybe we'll get lucky with Lamplight.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The 90s Disney VHS boxes are a weird iconic niche art form all their own. They make replica notebooks and clutches and keychains and all kinds of stuff.

I don't recognize what that is that's sitting on top of Herc though

edit: Looks like Goofy? We didn't have that one.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

looks like A Goofy Movie

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Roth posted:

That's a shame. This was a spur of the moment thing, so we weren't able to do any dinner reservations, otherwise I'd have loved to celebrate going back with a Lamplight Lounge visit.

Oh well, looking forward to the corndogs for lunch again, and I've missed Bengal BBQ. Maybe we'll get lucky with Lamplight.
AFAIK, Lamplight and Blue Bayou are reservation only (no walk up list) so you'll have to camp the reservation system to see if anyone drops their reservation.

Carthey Circle , Trattoria and the rest all have walk up lists that occasionally had room, also done through the app. The Cantina also technically had a walk up list, but I never saw it available, and there were always hopefuls lined up outside for hours.

E: That said this stuff changes daily, and I'm told the current capacity reductions are 100% labor based, so maybe they will have more tables online for next week.

Commander Jebus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 24, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Those could be notebooks! They just released some notebooks that look like the VHS boxes. We have one on our coffee table from our last trip.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

couldcareless posted:

Those could be notebooks! They just released some notebooks that look like the VHS boxes. We have one on our coffee table from our last trip.

That's true, they had a few of those in that Disney Warehouse Outlet in Orlando. Looks just like old VHS tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Craptacular! posted:

Their laptop is that modern but they still have VHS tapes around :thunk:

I mean, I have my childhood VHS tapes of Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Cinderella, and Aladdin. Thanks mom for moving them a million times & not just tossing them!