Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've been playing around with amaro and tiki together, and I did something really interesting tonight. 2 oz gin (I used Bombay), 1 oz lime, 1/2 simple, and 1/2 Sfumato. Shake and up. Extremely herbal, way less bitter than I thought (but still with a bitter edge), and very "complex" tasting. But then maybe I have a weird palette. If any of you have the ingredients for this, go make it and let me know what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Whereas Bar Mixel has a nice interface and lots of recipes and lets you stock up your virtual bar and match it up with whatever you want to look up, but it lacks the one feature you (and I) are really looking for, which is like

*tap* "Here are all the things I can 100% make"
*tap* "Here are all the things I can 90% make, plus workarounds"

etc

Unless I misunderstood, Mixel does exactly that. The recipe list starts with drinks you have everything for, followed by drinks you have 90% of ingredients for, etc. I just started using it the other day and found a few good new recipes so far.

Be sure to put in non-liquid ingredients you have, like brown sugar, jalapeño, basil, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm, I guess you're right. The big alphabetical list becomes less useful once your bar is too well stocked I guess :v:

For the longest time I thought you had to search on specific ingredients or else it would just be a list of everything it knew about.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Whereas Bar Mixel has a nice interface and lots of recipes and lets you stock up your virtual bar and match it up with whatever you want to look up, but it lacks the one feature you (and I) are really looking for, which is like

*tap* "Here are all the things I can 100% make"
*tap* "Here are all the things I can 90% make, plus workarounds"

etc

Are you talking about the pixel art app Mixel? Because the biggest feature of that app is it telling you what you can 100% make and what you can 90% make, plus workarounds.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Hmm, I guess you're right. The big alphabetical list becomes less useful once your bar is too well stocked I guess :v:

For the longest time I thought you had to search on specific ingredients or else it would just be a list of everything it knew about.

Yeah, the list is huge, especially with the paid version, and I wish you could filter by tags like “spicy” or “bitter” and not just name or ingredients.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Erwin posted:

Yeah, the list is huge, especially with the paid version, and I wish you could filter by tags like “spicy” or “bitter” and not just name or ingredients.

You mean like this?

This is the best app and has literally every feature any of you can ask for.

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie
I got the mixel app thanks to this thread and have used it to make all kinds of good things based on just the ingredient matching. Haven't even got into searching by flavor profile or anything. Jumping on board the recommendation train.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah same, I've been extremely happy with Mixel and didn't hesitate to go for the "subscription" ($1 a month, really a very meager price for something I use multiple times a week). The interface could use some improvement, since (clearly) it's not always extremely obvious how to filter/sort the cocktail lists. But once I figured it out, it was exactly what I wanted.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I downloaded everything that was suggested, will take a in-depth look into them in a few days.

Qylvaran posted:

Are you me? Be honest.

Only one way to find out, what drink are you making next?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Only one way to find out, what drink are you making next?

Hmm...probably either a Sazerac or a Boulevardier (Why yes. My liquor cabinet IS about half whiskey. Why do you ask?).

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Bought some Lillet Blanc on a whim and started looking for cocktails to make with it and found the Sunday in the Park which might become my summer cocktail of choice this year.

1.5 oz bourbon
1.5 oz Lillet Blanc
1 oz lemon juice
.25 simple syrup
couple dashes angostura bitters

shake over ice, pour into a tall glass with new ice and top with soda water

Technically it's supposed to have a sprig of thyme in the shaker and another to garnish but I haven't had any on me and it's really good missing it so :shrug:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Qylvaran posted:

Hmm...probably either a Sazerac or a Boulevardier (Why yes. My liquor cabinet IS about half whiskey. Why do you ask?).

Hella yeah. I just made myself a double Boulevardier.

3oz Elijah Craig
1.5oz Cocchi
1.5oz Campari

Not as heavy as these Manhattans that I've been making, but still scratches that itch from all the bourbon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't read this thread in four years but I remember a lot of enthusiasm for punch. Could I get a recommendation for a good punch to serve at an outdoor event to a small crowd that's not too boozy?

The people I'm serving aren't picky but the preferred spirits are whiskey or gin and I'd like something that leans tart.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cloks posted:

I haven't read this thread in four years but I remember a lot of enthusiasm for punch. Could I get a recommendation for a good punch to serve at an outdoor event to a small crowd that's not too boozy?

The people I'm serving aren't picky but the preferred spirits are whiskey or gin and I'd like something that leans tart.

Charleston Brown Water Society Punch

3 cups bourbon
2 cups dark rum
1.5 cups orange juice
0.5 cup lemon juice
2 cups honey syrup (half and half water and honey)
2 cups demerara syrup (half and half, you can use turbinado sugar)
3 cups soda water

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Charleston Brown Water Society Punch

3 cups bourbon
2 cups dark rum
1.5 cups orange juice
0.5 cup lemon juice
2 cups honey syrup (half and half water and honey)
2 cups demerara syrup (half and half, you can use turbinado sugar)
3 cups soda water

I had to look this up to make sure it was real, that's a hell of a name. Does orange juice mean literally a juiced orange or is it sweetened breakfast orange juice?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s an absolute ton of sugar for how little acid there is in it. Is that a recipe people can vouch for? OP asked for something tart and that looks pretty cloying to me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cloks posted:

I had to look this up to make sure it was real, that's a hell of a name. Does orange juice mean literally a juiced orange or is it sweetened breakfast orange juice?

Fresh squeezed for both. The name is for a whiskey club in Charleston., and the recipe is from Garden & Gun, THE Southern food and culture magazine. Don't make it if it looks bad, but I have before and it's good. Not nearly as cloying sweet as you would think.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 24, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cloks posted:

For light on booze, summery, and gin-based, you can't do better than Limmer's Club.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Since this damned hit rear end summer started I’ve been in an endless cycle of Mai tai -> jungle bird -> Paloma -> repeat.

Every night I say, ‘wow, this _____ that I’m drinking right now is the ultimate summer cocktail’, and then I change my mind the next day.

There is a company that makes fresh drink mixes around here, link here:

https://summerlakesbeverage.com/

And they are really drat good. Especially for something like paloma’s, my wife is already pissed at all the syrups and crap I have that take over half the fridge, if I needed fresh grapefruits to make my palomas it would push her over the edge. I know that’s probably sacrilege in these parts, but I’ve really enjoyed their Paloma mix.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

my wife is already pissed at all the syrups and crap I have that take over half the fridge, if I needed fresh grapefruits to make my palomas it would push her over the edge.

I got a small Mini fridge that I put next to the bar specifically for this reason. All of my bar citrus, syrups, and anything else that needs refrigeration goes in there and stays out of the main fridge.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I thought Paloma mix was grapefruit soda e.g. Squirt or Jarritos?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yup. Reposado, juice of half a lime, top off with a couple oz of Mexican grapefruit soda. Not even sure what would be in a premix, but if it’s not carbonated that’s a problem.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So this was a pretty nice little cocktail I found last night because I'm really struggling to use up all my white vermouth, especially since I just ran out of gin. It's called Django Reinhardt.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/django-reinhardt-dry-vermouth-cocktail-kat-odell?intcid=inline_amp

3 oz. dry white vermouth
¾ oz. fresh lemon juice
¾ oz. simple syrup
3 orange slices

Combine all ingredients (except the 1 slice of orange for garnish) in shaker.
Muddle the 2 slices of orange.
Add ice and shake.
Strain into rocks glass over ice.
Garnish with orange slice.

This is nice when you want something low-key and fruity. I might try throwing in some Montenegro or something to make it just a tad more complex. But the simplicity is part of its charm of course.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

DoctaFun posted:

Since this damned hit rear end summer started I’ve been in an endless cycle of Mai tai -> jungle bird -> Paloma -> repeat.

Every night I say, ‘wow, this _____ that I’m drinking right now is the ultimate summer cocktail’, and then I change my mind the next day.

There is a company that makes fresh drink mixes around here, link here:

https://summerlakesbeverage.com/

And they are really drat good. Especially for something like paloma’s, my wife is already pissed at all the syrups and crap I have that take over half the fridge, if I needed fresh grapefruits to make my palomas it would push her over the edge. I know that’s probably sacrilege in these parts, but I’ve really enjoyed their Paloma mix.

I brought ingredients for jungle birds on a trip with some friends last week. A pretty big hit and about guaranteed we felt rough every morning. How to Drink had a Halekulani on the latest episode, I think I've had something similar at a tiki bar here in town. I'm going to grab some oranges this afternoon and try it tonight. It would be nice to be able to make a good whiskey tiki drink during the summer.

Halekulani Cocktail:
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Lime Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Orange Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Pineapple Juice
.25 oz -or- 8 ml. Demerara Simple Syrup
1.5 oz -or- 45 ml. Barrel-proof Bourbon (I used Noah's Mill - Bookers also good)
1 - 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Crack ice into the shaker, shake and strain
Garnish with Pineapple fronds

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

While not grapefruit soda, I did tequila in Clausthaler Grapefruit NA beer, and thought it turned out super good. Kind of like a grapefruit/orange creamsicle.

This stuff: https://www.totalwine.com/beer/nonalcoholic/fruit-beer/clausthaler-grapefruit-na/p/233118608

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If you like a Paloma, you might give this recipe a try. It was super popular at the restaurant.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Has a bizarre experience at a high profile cocktail bar today. It’s my girlfriend’s birthday, and we drove out to a spot called the Baldwin Bar, which is situated in a historic mansion in a suburb around here. We made reservations for the downstairs and upstairs bars, which are functionally separate joints, six weeks ago.

Two hours before our first reservation they called us and told us we weren’t allowed to book a table at each restaurant. I asked if we could hold onto the second reservation and try to get a walk in at the downstairs bar. We were told that we could, so we did so. When we got there, the host was flighty and strange. He wouldn’t answer any questions directly. We were told we could have a drink or two but that we had to be out in thirty minutes.

We actually booked a hotel room in this town so that we could go here, so we were committed. Had a few drinks, but our allotted time ended an hour before our reservation. We asked the host if we could sit at a picnic table on the lawn (there were a few not being used for service.) He gave a weird, avoidant answer, and then once we were seated, came over and told us we had to leave. I didn’t understand but I just cancelled our reservation and we went back to the hotel without dinner.

I honestly wondered if they thought we were gang affiliated or something, but I looked it up on yelp and the place has scores of reviews with people describing all manner of inexplicable, untoward and offputting treatment from the staff that frequently seemed to be designed to keep tables empty or coerce folks to leave.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That''s really weird. I went to a similar kind of place in Nashville a few weeks ago, and the bar staff went above and beyond when they found out that we were eating upstairs after our drinks.

Professor Wayne posted:

I brought ingredients for jungle birds on a trip with some friends last week. A pretty big hit and about guaranteed we felt rough every morning. How to Drink had a Halekulani on the latest episode, I think I've had something similar at a tiki bar here in town. I'm going to grab some oranges this afternoon and try it tonight. It would be nice to be able to make a good whiskey tiki drink during the summer.

Halekulani Cocktail:
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Lime Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Orange Juice
.5 oz. -or- 15 ml. Pineapple Juice
.25 oz -or- 8 ml. Demerara Simple Syrup
1.5 oz -or- 45 ml. Barrel-proof Bourbon (I used Noah's Mill - Bookers also good)
1 - 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Crack ice into the shaker, shake and strain
Garnish with Pineapple fronds

Trip report: I guess I just flat out don't like cocktails with OJ in them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

That''s really weird. I went to a similar kind of place in Nashville a few weeks ago, and the bar staff went above and beyond when they found out that we were eating upstairs after our drinks.

There are plenty of yelp reviews describing the same, including people saying they were gifted with free drinks when they went upstairs, etc. But there are just as many reviews saying that the host rushed in and said “upstairs isn’t in the cards for you” when someone tried to order a drink from them, or the bartender refused to make a mai tai (which is on the menu,) or a server threatened to punch a guest for closing a window.

The only explanation I can think of is that once these guys opened a restaurant in the city proper, management took off and the staff don’t want to or don’t know how to run a popular restaurant, so they try to hustle as many people off as they can.

The server was also weird. I asked about large format cocktails, which the menu encourages doing, and was told they could make “anything.” I asked for a scorpion bowl and got a long explanation about how they can’t scale the menu cocktails up because they would “run out of syrup.” I tried to clarify that the scorpion bowl was not on the menu, and he got confused and repeated the bit about syrups running out. My partner asked if we could order a scorpion bowl, in that case, and he said, “of course.”

Carillon
May 9, 2014

That's weird as hell. I think that bar's even come up in this thread before too, but don't remember in what context. I'm not sure what that could even be about, it's so simple not to act like total weirdos.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Carillon posted:

That's weird as hell. I think that bar's even come up in this thread before too, but don't remember in what context. I'm not sure what that could even be about, it's so simple not to act like total weirdos.

It may have been me! We had plans to head out there last year, right when Covid started, but had to cancel due to that. It’s been a destination on my list for a long time!

Anyway, we’re drinking g+t’s and watching a sasquatch documentary at the hotel now.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
I've got some leftover Godiva liqueur from cooking, what can I do with this other than a chocolate martini? If this a reasonable sub for creme de cacao?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah, you add some club soda along with tequila and the mix. It’s seriously pretty great, like ‘I’d be very satisfied ordering this at a bar.’

Not ‘this is pretty good for a mix’ good.

The ingredients in the mix look to be fresh grapefruit juice, lime juice, orange juice, lemon juice, grapefruit zest, pure cane sugar, and pasteurized egg whites. Maybe not pure Paloma recipe or something, but dang good!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Well smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

It may have been me! We had plans to head out there last year, right when Covid started, but had to cancel due to that. It’s been a destination on my list for a long time!

Anyway, we’re drinking g+t’s and watching a sasquatch documentary at the hotel now.

Well for what it's worth, sucks that that happened and am glad you found a fun, better activity!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

vlad3217 posted:

I've got some leftover Godiva liqueur from cooking, what can I do with this other than a chocolate martini? If this a reasonable sub for creme de cacao?

I suppose, importantly, I should ask if you have the cream version.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I made Kevin Liu's Simply Awesome Orgeat from Craft Cocktails at Home and it's really good. Don't know how it stands up to the high-end brands but I like it.

184 g Almond milk, unsweetened*
88 g sugar
8 drops almond extract (1/8 tsp)
4 drops orange blossom water (1/16 tsp)

combine ingredients

*he recommends Pacific brand, I used Simply Almond. You want something with the lowest amount of sodium, sugar, and additives.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

chocolate bitters do not mix with campari

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Missing Name posted:

chocolate bitters do not mix with campari

They sure do! Try a Left Hand sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham