Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/PeterMcCormack/status/1407780170656882689?s=19

Well didn't see that coming.

EDIT: Dog tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1407780473862967307

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1407784078108135425

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well thats one theory i guess

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Took the coward's path to get out of the auto-dick-cannibalism bet I see.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Not sure we can shoot our way out of climate change but it’s very American to suggest it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter#2019

quote:

2019 saw the publication of two studies on nuclear winter that build on previous modeling and describe new scenarios of nuclear winter from smaller exchanges of nuclear weapons than have been previously simulated.
The 2019 model and the 2007 model both predict significant temperature decreases across the globe, however the increased resolution and particle simulation in 2019 predict a greater temperature anomaly in the first six years after injection but a faster return to normal temperatures. Between a few months after the injection to the sixth year of anomaly, the WACCM4 predicts cooler global temperatures than ModelE, with temperatures more than 20K below normal leading to freezing temperatures during the summer months over much of the northern hemisphere leading to a 90% reduction in agricultural growing seasons in the midlatitudes, including the midwestern United States.[146] WACCM4 simulations also predict a 58% reduction in global annual precipitation from normal levels in years three and four after injection, a 10% higher reduction than predicted in ModelE.[146]

Toon et. al simulated a nuclear scenario in 2025 where India and Pakistan engage in a nuclear exchange in which 100 urban areas in Pakistan and 150 urban areas in India are attacked with nuclear weapons ranging from 15 kt to 100 kt and examined the effects of black carbon released into the atmosphere from airburst-only detonations.[147] The researchers modeled the atmospheric effects if all weapons were 15 kt, 50 kt, and 100 kt, providing a range where a nuclear exchange would likely fall into given the recent nuclear tests performed by both nations. The ranges provided are large because neither India or Pakistan is obligated to provide information on their nuclear arsenals, so their extent remains largely unknown.[147]

Toon et. al assume that either a firestorm or conflagration will occur after each detonation of the weapons, and the amount of black carbon inserted into the atmosphere from the two outcomes will be equivalent and of a profound extent;[147] in Hiroshima in 1945, it is predicted that the firestorm released 1000 times more energy than was released during the nuclear explosion.[148] Such a large area being burned would release large amounts of black carbon into the atmosphere. The amount released ranges from 16.1 Tg if all weapons were 15 kt or less to 36.6 Tg for all 100 kt weapons.[147] For the 15 kt and 100kt range of weapons, the researchers modeled global precipitation reductions of 15% to 30%, temperature reductions between 4K and 8K, and ocean temperature decreases of 1K to 3K.[147] If all weapons used were 50 kt or more, Hadley cell circulation would be disrupted and cause a 50% decrease in precipitation in the American midwest. Net primary productivity (NPP) for oceans decreases from 10% to 20% for the 15 kt and 100 kt scenarios, respectively, while land NPP decreases between 15% and 30%; particularly affected are midlatitude agricultural regions in the United States and Europe, experiencing 25-50% reductions in NPP. [147] As predicted by other literature, once the black carbon is removed from the atmosphere after ten years, temperatures and NPP will return to normal.

Ok, so we just have to figure out the exact number of nukes needed to cool the earth by a few degrees instead of overshooting and detonate them every 5-10 years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Well it can't make DC traffic any slower I guess.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Immanentized posted:

Took the coward's path to get out of the auto-dick-cannibalism bet I see.

It was murder, obviously.

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1407787474294874122

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

hobbesmaster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter#2019

Ok, so we just have to figure out the exact number of nukes needed to cool the earth by a few degrees instead of overshooting and detonate them every 5-10 years.

gently caress it, hail ss-18 satan

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well video footage was made and kept right? Right?

gently caress dealing with conspiracy theorists.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1200864283766251521

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1407806941045399558

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile, on Hillary Clinton’s laptop:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmfao Biden talking about "smart gun technology" hahahahaha

HURF DURF NO HONEST MAN NEEDS 100 RNDS IN A MAGAZINE FOR FIGHTING DEER *FART*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

.....I mean, that's correct, yes. Nobody but a man planning to go make lovely mag dump videos or go on a shooting spreed needs a 100 round mag. Thanks for this treasure of a post.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Handsome Ralph posted:

Only three injured with minor injuries thankfully.

Glad I do not have to drive on that stretch of 295 today.

Yeah, 295 gonna suck for a while

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

.....I mean, that's correct, yes. Nobody but a man planning to go make lovely mag dump videos or go on a shooting spreed needs a 100 round mag. Thanks for this treasure of a post.

Don't those 100 round AR-15/M-16 drums have a tendency to jam before even hitting the california magazine limit?

New gun control measure: all magazines above 10 rounds must have lovely construction and springs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't those 100 round AR-15/M-16 drums have a tendency to jam before even hitting the california magazine limit?

New gun control measure: all magazines above 10 rounds must have lovely construction and springs

Yeah, modern drum mags appear to be notoriously jam prone. Obviously a California Gun Control measure!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3VC4B4Dw4&t=86s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Along those lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69pw4PcBmE

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anyone who needs a 100 round magazine to kill a deer should find another hobby.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Modern drum mags work just fine, so long as the user passes the 10% rule, and it's made by a real manufacturer.

I think the whole magazine capacity is a stupid thing to go after in the scheme of gun control for a lot of reasons, mostly because they don't change much in the scheme of things, and set a precedent to control accessories.

But I am probably more pro-gun than many in here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/capitol-rioter-anna-morgan-lloyd-sentenced-and-rioters-are-breathing-a-sigh-of-relief

First sentence for one of the self proclaimed "50 first people inside the Capitol"

3 yrs probation.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

That Works posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/capitol-rioter-anna-morgan-lloyd-sentenced-and-rioters-are-breathing-a-sigh-of-relief

First sentence for one of the self proclaimed "50 first people inside the Capitol"

3 yrs probation.

Just perfect to do it again next election

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Anyone who needs more than three should tear up their license. They're more of a danger to other humans than to deer.

And three is generous.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That Works posted:

3 yrs probation.

LoL nothing matters.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It was a first-time offense, a grandmother, the feds didn't/couldn't catch her doing anything violent, she showed/said remorse, and agreed to plead out. You're just not going to get time with that kind of combination.

I'll be more concerned if anyone with a hint of violence in the drat thing gets simple probation. This sentence is probably going to be a rare one, even if I'd prefer foreverprison for everyone involved.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

Anyone who needs more than three should tear up their license. They're more of a danger to other humans than to deer.

And three is generous.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anyone who needs a 100 round magazine to kill a deer should find another hobby.

I don't even know if you guys are serious, but I'll reply: most states have limits on mag capacity for the amount of rounds you can have in a gun (bolt action OR semi auto mag fed) while hunting (anything other than pests - for some states, if you're hunting feral hogs, there are no capacity limits). I've seen limits of 3, and 5 in my experience.

No one but an idiot goes out to hunt deer with a 100rnd drum. I would be seriously surprised if someone ever actually went out with a 100rnd drum to go hunt anything other than feral hog.

But something people keep seeming to forget is that there are more uses for a gun than hunting. Anti gun people are obsessed with the idea that all guns are good for is hunting. But they're not. You can go target shooting, plinking at the range, competitions of all kinds, and yes, use firearms for self defense. Those are all lawful activities that guns are used for.

That's besides the fact that the 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 24, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

It was a first-time offense, a grandmother, the feds didn't/couldn't catch her doing anything violent, she showed/said remorse, and agreed to plead out. You're just not going to get time with that kind of combination.

I'll be more concerned if anyone with a hint of violence in the drat thing gets simple probation. This sentence is probably going to be a rare one, even if I'd prefer foreverprison for everyone involved.

While true, she's 49 years old.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

While true, she's 49 years old.

Also white. Probably should've included white. That's also a mitigating factor in our justice system.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

A 3 strike policy for violent insurrection!

If she was actually one of the first 50 in then she watched people break doors / windows and walked into the literal Capitol building instantly after. It's not exactly an honest mistake by a confused elderly person. They weren't even 50 years old and cheered the event up until they got arrested.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I don't even know if you guys are serious, but I'll reply: most states have limits on mag capacity for the amount of rounds you can have in a gun (bolt action OR semi auto mag fed) while hunting (anything other than pests - for some states, if you're hunting feral hogs, there are no capacity limits). I've seen limits of 3, and 5 in my experience.

No one but an idiot goes out to hunt deer with a 100rnd drum. I would be seriously surprised if someone ever actually went out with a 100rnd drum to go hunt anything other than feral hog.

But something people keep seeming to forget is that there are more uses for a gun than hunting. Anti gun people are obsessed with the idea that all guns are good for is hunting. But they're not. You can go target shooting, plinking at the range, competitions of all kinds, and yes, use firearms for self defense. Those are all lawful activities that guns are used for.

That's besides the fact that the 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting.

So we’re all familiar with the 30-50 feral hogs meme but Reply All, which certainly can’t be described as a pro-gun podcast, did a deeper dive on that meme and unsurprisingly found that feral hogs are in fact a huge problem in the southwest. Doesn’t change the fact that an AR-15 wouldn’t be a good choice for that, though. An AR-10 would be better

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/10/11/20909467/reply-all-feral-hogs-viral-tweet-rural-america-farmers-pest-control

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shooting feral hogs with a machine gun does sound entertaining in a deranged sort of way, I have to admit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Reading Bushman's accounts / watching videos of hog hunting on rice fields at night in central Louisiana was p impressive. Night stalking of herds of dozens of wild hogs.

You'd definitely want a higher capacity semiauto for that kind of deal I bet.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

What if you combine it with literally trying to overthrow a country

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

LoL nothing matters.

quote:

Anna Morgan-Lloyd, a 49-year-old from Bloomfield, was sentenced to three years of probation after pleading guilty to one misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building. D.C. District Judge Royce C. Lambert also sentenced Morgan-Lloyd to 120 hours of community service and ordered she pay a $500 fee for her crime, stating that the grandmother received a lower sentence because of her immense remorse for her crimes.

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/titles/10/chapters/5/subchapters/II/parts/B/

10–503.16. Unlawful conduct.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person or group of persons willfully and knowingly:

(7) To parade, demonstrate, or picket within any of the Capitol Buildings.

(b) Any violation of § 10-503.12, § 10-503.13, § 10-503.14, § 10-503.15, § 10-503.16(b), or § 10-503.17, and any attempt to commit any such violation, shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding $500, or imprisonment not exceeding 6 months, or both

That actually doesn’t seem particularly light for the charge, it’s that she was able to get it down to the single charge.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

What if you combine it with literally trying to overthrow a country

This person wasn’t charged with that. Take it up with the USA.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/titles/10/chapters/5/subchapters/II/parts/B/

10–503.16. Unlawful conduct.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person or group of persons willfully and knowingly:

(7) To parade, demonstrate, or picket within any of the Capitol Buildings.

(b) Any violation of § 10-503.12, § 10-503.13, § 10-503.14, § 10-503.15, § 10-503.16(b), or § 10-503.17, and any attempt to commit any such violation, shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding $500, or imprisonment not exceeding 6 months, or both

That actually doesn’t seem particularly light for the charge, it’s that she was able to get it down to the single charge.

Since it's a plea is it likely that she gave up info to get it this light or is it just that there was not much to charge her on that they thought would stick? The former is interesting the latter would be pretty sad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember cynically wondering how many rioters would try to pull the "I just watched Roots and omg I'm so sorry" defense, and apparently it's 1-0 so far

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So we’re all familiar with the 30-50 feral hogs meme but Reply All, which certainly can’t be described as a pro-gun podcast, did a deeper dive on that meme and unsurprisingly found that feral hogs are in fact a huge problem in the southwest. Doesn’t change the fact that an AR-15 wouldn’t be a good choice for that, though. An AR-10 would be better

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/10/11/20909467/reply-all-feral-hogs-viral-tweet-rural-america-farmers-pest-control

It's really not. We'd need a WPA sized program of people to put a dent in the feral hog population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Reading Bushman's accounts / watching videos of hog hunting on rice fields at night in central Louisiana was p impressive. Night stalking of herds of dozens of wild hogs.

You'd definitely want a higher capacity semiauto for that kind of deal I bet.

Oh man, Bushman was great. The fact that he'd track them with a jerry-rigged camera taped onto an RC airplane was truly impressive. This was yeeaaars before small commercial drones were available.

I remember when he went out with spears and a frickin sword to hunt them. Such a bad rear end.

He was featured in Time magazine in 2013 but I can't find the article for some reason.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 24, 2021