Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I'm reading it correctly and I can get my choice of promo ship, it might be worth it to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Buying off an event is absurdly overpriced (like what, 40 bucks worth of zen?) but if it's the difference between getting a promo ship or not it's probably worth it. Assuming you're ready and willing to grind hard for the rest of the year anyway.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^ Pretty sure it's $20 for the 14 day buyouts, not $40. But don't quote me on that.

wdarkk posted:

If I'm reading it correctly and I can get my choice of promo ship, it might be worth it to do that.
The final meta-event prize is a choice. You can get 1500 lobi (bound to account like all lobi), or 2 T6 ship coupons (only good on regular z-store T6 ships, not legendary ones, but account-wide like all z-store ships), or a choice box. The choice box will let you choose 1 promo or lockbox ship from 2020 or earlier (so none of the newest ships). That ship will be bound to the char who claimed it, like any opened promo/lockbox ships. Notably you can't trade or sell it.

But if there's an older promo ship that you always wanted to fly, but could never justify the price, this is the time to get it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Can anybody invite Draxxan@draeth84 and Adrian@belenul to Starfleet Dental or the channel?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

g0del posted:

^^ Pretty sure it's $20 for the 14 day buyouts, not $40. But don't quote me on that.

The final meta-event prize is a choice. You can get 1500 lobi (bound to account like all lobi), or 2 T6 ship coupons (only good on regular z-store T6 ships, not legendary ones, but account-wide like all z-store ships), or a choice box. The choice box will let you choose 1 promo or lockbox ship from 2020 or earlier (so none of the newest ships). That ship will be bound to the char who claimed it, like any opened promo/lockbox ships. Notably you can't trade or sell it.

But if there's an older promo ship that you always wanted to fly, but could never justify the price, this is the time to get it.

Note: The promo/lockbox ship supposedly will be made available to all of your characters on the account per the last bit of the description.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

Note: The promo/lockbox ship supposedly will be made available to all of your characters on the account per the last bit of the description.

Wonder how that works for the faction-exclusives. I'm tentatively planning to get the Valkis, and I wonder if that would translate to all my Feds getting the Universe and Klingons the Durgath, or everyone getting the Valkis, or everyone getting all three.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

Wonder how that works for the faction-exclusives. I'm tentatively planning to get the Valkis, and I wonder if that would translate to all my Feds getting the Universe and Klingons the Durgath, or everyone getting the Valkis, or everyone getting all three.

I have to imagine it's just the one ship you pick thanks to cross faction flying?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I have to imagine it's just the one ship you pick thanks to cross faction flying?

None of the faction-exclusive ships like this have been account wide, to my knowledge. There's a bunch of ships where when you open the box, you get a different ship based on your faction. Open the 31st century dreadnought, Feds get the Universe, Klingons get the Durgath, Romulans get the Valkis. No boxes like this have ever been account wide as far as I know, so who knows how it's going to work.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Maybe it'll be like the Verne pack that was part of the Mudd deal last year that ended up allowing you to claim all three ships with cross-faction, a definite boon to admiralty if you had them.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

No, Cryptic just sucks at explaining things. Per one of their early tweets about it, and as has been re-confirmed since then, it will not be available on all your chars. If you pick the promo/lockbox ship, it will work just like a regular promo/lockbox choice, only you can't sell it or trade it. One char on your account gets it, not all of them.
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1354511802785165312

You will not be getting a promo ship for every char on your account, and you definitely won't be getting three of them if you pick the 26th c dreadnought.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Back in March I won the PWE Level UP raffle and shared the news with the one other goon in TNG. Well the Eagle Moss ships arrived today so I thought I'd share a pic of them with you all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After the pride tribble and pets last year it's trans ones this year.

quote:

"This breed has a bright pastel coloration that shows its fearless nature, and can be found in all manner of places as it seems to thrive on overcoming boundaries. Petting the tribble will grant a constant, passive small chance to resist and throw off any effect that would control you, as you refuse to be limited or constrained. If you're on a team with multiple people petting this tribble, the chances stack based on the number of people involved. This tribble is unafraid of Klingons or other species that have treated Tribbles negatively in the past."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hell ya Sylveon.

Also the Cruiser appears to have undergone a face lift and looks way sleeker if this picture is an indication.

If you can get the hull colors right, you might be able to pull off a sweet Space Battleship Yamato.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, I joined a fleet that claimed to be aimed more for just casual grinding and doing stuff together sometime but the only 2 people i've seen logged in since I joined almost a week ago have ignored me and I can't spend provisions to do things even though i've donated to projects. Is this just how most STO fleets are unless they're really big and poop sockers?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

So, I joined a fleet that claimed to be aimed more for just casual grinding and doing stuff together sometime but the only 2 people i've seen logged in since I joined almost a week ago have ignored me and I can't spend provisions to do things even though i've donated to projects. Is this just how most STO fleets are unless they're really big and poop sockers?
A lot of fleets are real jerks about letting players buy from fleet stores. It almost kind of made sense back when the fleet holdings were newer, but keeping that up years after the last fleet holding came out is just fleet leaders using their miniscule amount of power to turn into petty tyrants.

It's probably easier to just join Dental/NoP. You generally won't see more than one or two players logged in, but at least we'll let you buy fleet gear.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

Hell ya Sylveon.

Also the Cruiser appears to have undergone a face lift and looks way sleeker if this picture is an indication.

If you can get the hull colors right, you might be able to pull off a sweet Space Battleship Yamato.

I'm gonna stick with obnoxious space cruise boat for the Pacifica Princess. Although I do note that they've given us an ocean liner esque little top mast with this skin that I'll be nabbing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Honest to God disco t-shirts. Fantastic.

^ Also while you should name your ships whatever you wish, just lol if you don't name your space luxury liner the Costa Concordia.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 23, 2021

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Wait. Are there really disco shirts now? Is it zen or Lobi?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Acer Pilot posted:

Wait. Are there really disco shirts now? Is it zen or Lobi?

Lolnut favors from the summer event starting next week.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Cythereal posted:

Lolnut favors from the summer event starting next week.

Time to dig up that saved map of the searching spots. I hope the price of lolnuts stays high for a while like last year.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

OGS-Remix posted:

Time to dig up that saved map of the searching spots. I hope the price of lolnuts stays high for a while like last year.

I could use that, I've missed a lot of summer events so I've got a ton to make up for, both cosmetics and kits wise.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I need the shirt but Mrs tovan khev must always be bare chested. What a predicament.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11489963-live-a-life-of-luxury%21

Full cruiser stats. Nothing exceptional, but it is a beautiful new model and somehow has a turn rate of 10. As well looks like it has a potentially powerful sci trait

quote:

Starship Trait – Leisurely Pace

While at or below 25% Throttle, gain a stacking bonus to Exotic Particle Generators and Control Expertise once every 5 seconds (4 stacks max).

Once you have at least one stack, activating any Control Bridge Officer Ability will cause up to 5 foes within 5km to suffer a Debuff to their Flight Speed and All Outgoing Damage for 5 seconds. The severity of this debuff is increased by additional stacks of this trait's buff, gained by remaining at Low Throttle. This effect may only be triggered once per 5 seconds.

All stacks are lost shortly after being above 25% Throttle, and must be regained over time.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11489963-live-a-life-of-luxury%21

Full cruiser stats. Nothing exceptional, but it is a beautiful new model and somehow has a turn rate of 10. As well looks like it has a potentially powerful sci trait

It has a very anime space navy look to it, one that could be improved with the right vanity shield. And it's got enough turn to not be awful, so I'll probably see if I can make something useful out of it on one of my alts.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Missed previous summer events, is this likely to be buyoutable or going to actually require a month (or so) of doing thing?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Iymarra posted:

Missed previous summer events, is this likely to be buyoutable or going to actually require a month (or so) of doing thing?

PWE would love it if you throw real money at their timegate so yes. I recommend the patient way of doing a short busy task for a month though. Your money and choice of course.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I missed that cruiser the first time, floating through rings once a day for month will do just fine. :)

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

This is fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, looks like you're sitting on close to 1500 zen that you should unload while the market's maxed out.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, looks like you're sitting on close to 1500 zen that you should unload while the market's maxed out.
I'm going to wait. It looks like it might be maxed out for awhile.

Also, no point in cashing out now when the entire problem is that there's nothing worth buying with dil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The exchange isn't even available to me right now.

But I had the zen, so I went ahead and got the Grissom and Jaieh. I have enough zen for another ship, but haven't decided on which one if any.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

g0del posted:

I'm going to wait. It looks like it might be maxed out for awhile.

Also, no point in cashing out now when the entire problem is that there's nothing worth buying with dil.

Sell your zen now, wait until it dips a bit, and re-buy in. Wash and repeat.

I've made a fair bit of dill/zen just selling when they announce a new pack and buying when it's gotten some slack again.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's not going to dip until the next Phoenix weekend... maybe

Or a new fleet project

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
They made the phoenix boxes a permanent thing a while back so the those events are just the free boxes now and don't put any pressure on the dil ex. Colony was a massive dil sink and barely made a dent. They're just gonna let this be the new normal long enough that people don't get mad when they raise the price cap.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have new space boats.

So, the Grissom feels a lot like the Eternal - it's a temporal ship with a commander sci/temporal seat, plus another ltcom sci. No fighters like the Eternal, but better seating and one less tac console.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 25, 2021

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sell your zen now, wait until it dips a bit, and re-buy in. Wash and repeat.

I've made a fair bit of dill/zen just selling when they announce a new pack and buying when it's gotten some slack again.

I'm not sure I understand this market or how to use it. Can someone explain it to me like I'm four? :)

I looked at the market last night and I have 50,000 zen and like 1,100 Dil. Should I be trying to get into this, or just ignore it and use my Zen as I had planed, when the 10th box goes on sale again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Floob posted:

I'm not sure I understand this market or how to use it. Can someone explain it to me like I'm four? :)

I looked at the market last night and I have 50,000 zen and like 1,100 Dil. Should I be trying to get into this, or just ignore it and use my Zen as I had planed, when the 10th box goes on sale again.

It's really, really, really basic "buy low sell high" type poo poo.

The Zen market fluctuates pretty predictably based on announcements and seasonal events etc. If you're willing to tie your stuff up you can do that.

Frankly, though, with that much zen I'd just hang onto it and spend it as you'd planned. This is more something I've been doing to generate some extra dill income with the end goal of getting zen without paying for it. It's how I bought that Legendary fed pack without throwing money at the game, for example.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Eimi posted:

Hmm? All foes within 5km of what? You? The ability?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Completed a medium difficulty endeavor and the universal one with no credit for my Jem'Hadar. Am I missing something for the 'Endeavor Missions'?

Edit: Apparently it's broken per the patch notes. Good ol' Cryptic

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Floob posted:

Players can trade zen for dil from other players, and vice versa. Players put in offers to buy or sell zen, and list the amount and how much they're willing to trade for. The game limits the exchange rate on both ends - you can't buy zen at less than 25 dil/zen, or at more than 500 dil/zen. The game looks for matching offers on each side, and when it finds them it trades the dil for zen. It won't trade non-matching offers - I can list all my dilithium at 25 dil/zen but it will never sell because no one is willing to sell zen for that little.

Also, the game does some price protections (in one direction, at least). Say you decided to trade some of your zen for dilithium, and while you were entering your price you fat-fingered it, and listed zen at 50 dil/zen when you meant to type 500. Even if I'm trying in vain to sell my dil for 50 dil/zen, we won't match. The game knows that other players are willing to pay more for that zen, and it will match your trade with the highest dill offer that's equal or higher than the price you listed.

When things are working correctly, people who want to buy zen with dilithium will push the price up, while people who want to buy dilithium with their zen will push the price down, and the two pressures will find an equilibrium point where players on each side are mostly happy with the exchange rate. But the market is broken right now because there is very little demand for dilithium and lots of demand for zen (lots of good zen bundles lately). The natural exchange rate should be higher than 500 dil/zen right now, but the game won't allow that. So instead of finding the natural exchange rate, the market has just dried up. No one is willing to sell their zen for only 500 dil/zen, so buying zen with dilithium is almost impossible right now.

There are several potential solutions to this, but none are an instant fix. Cryptic could raise the dil/zen exchange cap. But they already tried that in one of their other games, Neverwinter. In that game, when the cap got hit and the exchange dried up, they raised the cap from 500 to 750. The market hit that new cap within a day, Cryptic never raised it again, and the exchange there has been basically dead ever since. You can try to buy zen on the Neverwinter market, but last I heard the wait time was 6-8 months because so few people are willing to sell zen.

Cryptic could also make zen easier to get, thus making it worth slightly less to players. Big zen sales do that, they could give away zen to players through events or some other way. This would make zen worth relatively less, and hopefully push the rate down below 500. But it involves Cryptic basically giving free money to lots of players. I'll let you imagine how likely this would be.

Another thing Cryptic could do is try to make dil more valuable to players. This is the dil sink idea that you hear about a lot. A dil sink would be something that players want to spend dil on that isn't turning that dil into zen on the exchange. Phoenix boxes used to be a limited time thing, and contained the best upgrades in the game. So whenever Cryptic would allow players to purchase phoenix boxes, people would purchase lots and lots of them, because they never knew when they'd be able to buy more again. But Cryptic made phoenix boxes available all the time awhile back, so that sink is gone. And veteran players eventually run out of gear to upgrade, so they also lose effectiveness that way. Fleet holdings take a lot of dilithium and used to be an effective sink, but we haven't had a new fleet holding in years.

As for what you should do, personally? For right now, ignore it and keep your zen. Buy the 10th anniversary bundle when it becomes available. Eventually you'll need some dil for end-game gear and upgrades. But probably not more than a million or two at most, and you can get that when you need it. At a rate of 500, 1m dil is only 2,000 zen, so you'll have plenty. Even if Cyrano is right and the exchange dips back down, it won't go down much, and there's always the chance Cryptic raises the cap, making dil even cheaper for you when you need it.