Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I hope the aliens land and see how we've portrayed them in our media, get pissed off and just never talk to us again.

first think i wanna do with the aliens is get high and watch mars attacks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rah! posted:

so assuming this newfangled disclosure isn't a weird OP to sell Amazon brand bird rockets...

...maybe what it's really all about is government infighting. Some dudes in the pentagon/senators and whatnot believe the UFO thing is a serious topic, and believe they have evidence to back it up. But other dudes in the pentagon, and perhaps entire branches of the military (the air force?) aren't on board with that UFO poo poo, and don't want to cooperate with any investigations, and don't want to share any data they may or may not have, and constantly cock blocks anyone who tries to seriously study them. So in frustration, the dudes in the government who do want to study it, were like "hey Elizondo, what if u resigned from AATIP and we supported an effort on ur part to make all this poo poo public, so that those obstructionists are forced to acknowledge it and do some real research like we wanted"

or its all about beating China to the alien fuckbot motherlode

This is legitimately one of the more reasonable theories, yeah.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/SETIInstitute/status/1407748258907234305

if there is a signal out there we are certain ska will PICKITUP PICKITUP PICKITUP PICKITUP

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rah! posted:

so assuming this newfangled disclosure isn't a weird OP to sell Amazon brand bird rockets...

...maybe what it's really all about is government infighting.

Navy chads vs air force virgins IMHO

Schmoe Cwead posted:

if there is a signal out there we are certain ska will PICKITUP PICKITUP PICKITUP PICKITUP

I can hear that lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol paper concludes with quotes from both Richard Feynman and Teilhard de Chardin

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

lol paper concludes with quotes from both Richard Feynman and Teilhard de Chardin

im fully onboard with the omega point

gel me into LCL I am ready

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Schmoe Cwead posted:

it's gonna be cool to have a big black and white checkered telescope

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rah! posted:

Some dudes in the pentagon/senators and whatnot believe the UFO thing is a serious topic, and believe they have evidence to back it up. But other dudes in the pentagon, and perhaps entire branches of the military (the air force?) aren't on board with that UFO poo poo, and don't want to cooperate with any investigations, and don't want to share any data they may or may not have, and constantly cock blocks anyone who tries to seriously study them.
it could be about maintaining the illusion of control, too. conservatives in the military might not like the idea of admitting that there are objects zipping around that the military is powerless to do anything about. they talk about "full spectrum dominance." any admission of weakness of vulnerability goes against their programming.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Where's my loving report pentagon
Have it on my desk this evening or don't bother coming in to work tomorrow

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Schmoe Cwead posted:

yeah it'll be able to hear the equivalent of earth's loudest transmissions at 100 light years away

edit:

https://twitter.com/nature/status/1407763731879284736?s=21

Crusader has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Jun 23, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

blatman posted:

its fine, part of first contact protocol for the united states government is to show the aliens every asgard-centric episode of stargate sg-1

the idea is basically to highlight that they are overwhelmingly badass with godlike technology, but they could still benefit from having idiot apes as friends

We should just show them all of the Jaff'a politics episodes and they'll be lulled into a long torpor and we can steal their ships

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The various articles and scholarship coming out as people put more thought into the best way to look for intelligent life are fascinating. Even if we never find aliens (they totally found us already) just the scientific thought on what a peer, near peer, or advanced civilization might do that's detectable is going to lead to some really cool searches of astronomic data.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Where's my loving report pentagon
Have it on my desk this evening or don't bother coming in to work tomorrow

Sorry I only have pictures of Spiderman

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

epic beard bro live AMA just started

https://youtu.be/lSfwdn6NH-4

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the aliens landed in Washington DC in 1947

they made a deal with our government that if we allowed them free reign to abduct people for experiments and adrenochrome harvesting, while we covered it up for them, they would not invade earth until twenty aitee

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it could be about maintaining the illusion of control, too. conservatives in the military might not like the idea of admitting that there are objects zipping around that the military is powerless to do anything about. they talk about "full spectrum dominance." any admission of weakness of vulnerability goes against their programming.

Yeah it could definitely be that. Fear of the unknown, and fear of losing power.

A thing Elizondo likes to mention, is that people are using religion as an excuse to not investigate the phenomenon. Like, basically saying that it's the devil trying to tempt man with aerial demons or something. And it is true that the air force, for example, is full of evangelicals in the upper ranks (and that the FBI is filled with Mormons, etc).

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tekne posted:

maybe we are the ayy lmaooos

Can the aliens just do all us a solid and beam all the religious nutters out into space? We'll be all good to go for first contact after that

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Schmoe Cwead posted:

no it would not. The problem with the concept of seti is no matter how big the sensor is, you need to have someone on the other side actively sending beams directly to earth. It cannpt pick up passive signals

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OK baizuo posted:

Can the aliens just do all us a solid and beam all the religious nutters out into space? We'll be all good to go for first contact after that

oh word?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OK baizuo posted:

*a finger curls on the monkey paw*

wow galactic federation president Zuck!

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

PawParole posted:

no it would not. It cannpt pick up passive signals

What

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Given recent events in disclosure-land, shouldn't SETI be training their poo poo on our own atmosphere and ocean depths.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

i think it's a generalization about the strength of undirected signals (ie, leakage) as opposed to a high energy directed signal

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

If there was an earth twin around Alpha Centauri, we would not be able to hear it's radio transmissions w/ any feasible detector, unless it was directly beaming an incredibly tight radio signal at earth directly.

Even the Square Kilometer Array will not be nearly large enough to detect the leakage of radio and TV signals from a nearby exoplanet due to the inverse square law. The leakage will be too weak to detect. It would have to be a directed signal with a lot of power.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I know you all are speaking about radioatronomy but I can't help keep thinking its also about sugar free gummi bears, which can also provoke powerful leakage

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

PawParole posted:

If there was an earth twin around Alpha Centauri, we would not be able to hear it's radio transmissions w/ any feasible detector, unless it was directly beaming an incredibly tight radio signal at earth directly.

Even the Square Kilometer Array will not be nearly large enough to detect the leakage of radio and TV signals from a nearby exoplanet due to the inverse square law. The leakage will be too weak to detect. It would have to be a directed signal with a lot of power.

We find quasars pretty easily

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Bideo James posted:

are you seriously comparing supermassive black holes billions the times of the sun to a planetary civilization?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

PawParole posted:

are you seriously comparing supermassive black holes billions the times of the sun to a planetary civilization?

Lol I think you're a UFO now

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Bideo James posted:

this is a p good troll to a certain kind of poster

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i wonder what SETI's actual purpose is since I'm pretty sure all these physicists know about the inverse square law

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Wheeee posted:

i wonder what SETI's actual purpose is since I'm pretty sure all these physicists know about the inverse square law

they're looking for directed signals, the 'WoW signal' might very well have been one

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

I turn my TV on every day and stare at the static of the newly born universe as it continues to bombard us endlessly, forever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bideo James posted:

I turn my TV on every day and stare at the static of the newly born universe as it continues to bombard us endlessly, forever

only a ufo would have a tv that old

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Bideo James posted:

quote:

After another few trillion years, the current cosmic microwave background will have redshifted into insignificance and will no longer be detectable.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

john mcaffee is with the aliens now

this is your chance bezos, pull the trigger

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Fools, the God Emperor of Mankind has already been born out of the shamanistic mass suicide that took place 4k+ years ago.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wheeee posted:

doing acid with dolphins and other aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Where's the teasers? Where are the leaks? If this goes to print Friday it's already in hands now