Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

The deal with this guy on the opposing team is that he is basically a super star prospect. In high school, the ultra best players that are going to get drafted highly right into pro or go to a top college are usually so much more athletic or talented than their high school peers due to like early growth spurt or good genetics or WHATEVER ands o they're taller/faster/more powerful. They tend to play pitcher, because their arm is just better than their peers so they throw harder, as well as one of the "key positions" like Short Stop and Centerfield because they are more athletic and rangey compared to their peers. They also tend to hit at the top of the order and be very good. So you'll have a high school pitcher who throws like a 1 ERA (doesnt give up many runs) and strikes out tons of people while also batting .400-.500+ (very good in baseball and average that high doesnt happen in proball). They also play good defense.

These are kids so its all about the slight differences in strength and stuff that comes with being a prodigy. It CAN look as unstoppable as this guy. He basically throws hard and has multiple pitches. Most high schools have 1 pitch thats actually any good and maybe some others they throw which need work. Then batting wise he is really strong so he can muscle pitches out. And he is fast enough that he can steal bases. In the chapter he stole on the Dragon Ball battery because the pitcher takes too long to get rid of the ball (you can safely start running once the pitcher starts to throw) and the catcher nerd has a weak arm. The catcher, in order to stop stolen bases, would likely do stuff like call a pitch out where the pitcher very quickly throws directly to the catcher outside of the batters reach so he can throw as soon as possible to second base or call high fastballs that are easy to catch and easy to throw to 2nd. In this chapter he doesnt get a chance to do that so the guy is stealing off his weak arm + the long stride of the pitcher. In the majors, pitchers will throw over to 1st to deter stealing or try for a pick off and may go to a slide step where they dont use their full wind up and try to release the ball quickly towards home. you usually lose some speed off your fastball when you do that.

I just reread the chapter with your post in mind and now I understand. :) Thanks!
I somehow wasn't connecting the exposition on the pitching from the stretch correctly to the weak arm and him running. Probably related to the term battery being vague for me as well. I automatically attributed it to the batter, but apparently the catcher and the pitcher are part of that as well.
I literally don't know the first thing about Baseball. :sweatdrop:

We've all been in school, we all had that kid in class who was just a cut above everyone else.
Actually, I just remembered a soccer match my son had over a year ago. The opponent team's strategy was literally: "play the ball to that guy". I forgot his name, but that kid could play and single handedly beat my son's team.

quote:

Finally, the idea of these guys who are like carrying the entire team in all facets of the game can be absurd BUT THERE IS AN ACTUAL PLAYER IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES DOING THIS RIGHT NOW. He is a japanese phenom named Shohei Ohtani and he is currently close to the top of the pitchers statistics as a starting pitcher for the Angels and on his non-pitching days he also hits and plays the outfield and is tied for the league lead in home runs. He is so loving cool. There is also a mets pitcher named Jacob de Grom who does not bat on his offdays but when he hits as a pitcher in the NL he does very well so he is currently hitting .400 in ~25 PA with more runs batted in for himself than runs GIVEN UP as a pitcher.

And that's seriously cool, I expected one man teams to be purely fantasy.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I marathoned Mashle and it's good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It can get kinda dull when we spend significant amounts of time away from Mash, but Mash just brute forcing himself through Hogwarts while epic wizard shonen stuff happens around him that his dumb jock brain can’t wrap itself around is a good time mostly.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
mashle is amazing but in light of recent news from JJK's author it's disappointing that it's saddled to a weekly release. I would be a lot happier with it if it were jump plus like spy x family and kaiju #8

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still can't believe it loving straight up lifted the Edo Tensei from Naruto though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I still can't believe it loving straight up lifted the Edo Tensei from Naruto though.

It basically became the chuunin exam once they paired people up into teams and hasn't looked back since.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One of the best things about Mashle is how Mash shreds right through every cliche arc one after another, but not in a particularly mean-spirited or mocking way. This is a parody shonen manga made by someone who loves shonen manga.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I picked up Mashle on a whim and now I'm hooked. The elevator pitch of "Hogwarts but replace Harry Potter with Saitama" is amazing. Lots of fun reaction faces and hilarious running gags.

I want a cream puff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't High School Family actually very popular though? I feel like I remember hearing something about that selling a lot of volumes.

Hopefully Magu-chan is doing well enough to stick around; I like it a lot. Actually I like most current series a lot; it seems like bad/mediocre stuff just doesn't make it into Jump very often anymore. The only ones I don't care for (that aren't ranked at the very bottom) are Black Clover and the current T&A series Ayakashi Triangle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't High School Family actually very popular though? I feel like I remember hearing something about that selling a lot of volumes.

Hopefully Magu-chan is doing well enough to stick around; I like it a lot. Actually I like most current series a lot; it seems like bad/mediocre stuff just doesn't make it into Jump very often anymore. The only ones I don't care for (that aren't ranked at the very bottom) are Black Clover and the current T&A series Ayakashi Triangle.

I'm still looking up the exact figures, but I remember Roboco was the one moving a lot of volumes. High School Family and Magu-Chan were lower.

The thing with that is, they're all gag series, and they're all being judged by gag series standards. While gags sell less (Roboco's surprisingly good numbers are just somewhere around 20K) they're also expected to sell less, acting more as a bonus to the magazine than a standalone product. That's not to say that they're immune to Jump's usual rules. They just get axes a bit slower, and have a lower bar most of the time.

Magu-Chan and High School Family thus have a bit of a buffer with I Tell C and 9 Dragons. Non-gag flops get canned faster than gags, but the numbers aren't good enough for them to stay forever.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Caught up to Mashle, everything rules. So Music Mage is a girl, or an okama-type character like Freeza?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Seems to be a woman. I guess she worked off all that tartar sauce

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Caught up to Mashle, everything rules. So Music Mage is a girl, or an okama-type character like Freeza?

I'm going with An okama who turns into a girl via their 2nd level magic. We already had a flashback with him in the past so I don't think he's been a disguise girl the whole time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Lily Catts posted:

I read it as her being a cool transwoman, which is yet another way Mashle is infinitely better than Harry Potter.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I really do like how Mash is slow converting people to his side by being a decent person in a rotten society, I quite liked masked and puppet dudes from Lang

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1407509734773727235?s=19

Something got canceled!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1407509734773727235?s=19

Something got canceled!

Looks like it got deleted. What did it say?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I tell C has its day with the hangman set to next monday (ending on chapter 21).

Can't say I'm suprised, frankly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

Looks like it got deleted. What did it say?

It's still up, I just spoilered it in case anyone wanted to find out come Sunday. Oh well, :rip:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I tell C has its day with the hangman set to next monday (ending on chapter 21).

Can't say I'm suprised, frankly.

Retooling to be lighter and goofier right after having the main villain show up and brutally murder one of the three leads was certainly a choice.

It looks like this is going to have a pretty awkward ending, which is a nice contrast with Dolphin, which managed to go through its whole endgame plot and land where it meant to, even if it sliced out most of the middle to get there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
is there a (shounen) manga that had a great/memorable ending in spite of an abrupt cancellation?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Zombie Powder got cancelled between arcs, which basically lead to a really good open ending that makes it feel like a completed prologue for a main series that never got made.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

girl dick energy posted:

One of the best things about Mashle is how Mash shreds right through every cliche arc one after another, but not in a particularly mean-spirited or mocking way. This is a parody shonen manga made by someone who loves shonen manga.

Mashle is the first manga I've read and thought it was clearly inspired by the works of ONE, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

is there a (shounen) manga that had a great/memorable ending in spite of an abrupt cancellation?

Psyren, maybe? Although maybe that wasn’t abrupt enough for what you mean.

The Last Saiyuki does a surprisingly good job of handling very early cancellation. It skips to the end with the protagonists succeeding like Guardian of the Witch, but unlike Guardian of the Witch it actually sets up the characters, setting, and themes in such a way that you get a general sense of how they succeeded.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lily Catts posted:

I liked Bone Collection's bone wedding

Guardian of the Witch's ending was memorable for how absolutely horrible and abrupt it was. Midway through chapter just timeskip to the end!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Shaman King ended as the gang was going to sleep the evening of the day before the final battle was scheduled to take place, while basically saying "Yeah tomorrow will be hard, who knows what the future will bring."

I thought it was an ending that, if not good, was at least decent.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I liked Bone Collection's bone wedding

Guardian of the Witch's ending was memorable for how absolutely horrible and abrupt it was. Midway through chapter just timeskip to the end!

Oh yeah. Bone collection had a good ending thanks to using fantastic art in a ridiculous power. Bone Collection was pretty fun.

Last Saiyuki at least had a good ending for the characters even if it wasn’t an actual ending to the story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's something sort of depressingly amusing about the manga with early cancellation endings that are like "our adventure has just begun!" I always imagine the author just sadly thinking about what could have been.

IIRC there was one author that had two series like this. I think the same guy did both Red Sprite and Iron Knight, which both ended up this way. Feel bad for that guy, because his art was real good but he just couldn't write stuff that didn't feel cliche.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

There's something sort of depressingly amusing about the manga with early cancellation endings that are like "our adventure has just begun!" I always imagine the author just sadly thinking about what could have been.

Check out the last chapter of Marry Grave

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its too bad about Bone Collector, I thought it had a neat premise and I liked the art.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Its too bad about Bone Collector, I thought it had a neat premise and I liked the art.

Yeah I think if it had managed to stick around longer it might have caught on more. The art was cute and the characters + humor were fun and goofy. I'm wondering if it had a concept that was less generic shonen if it would have taken off more, as then less people likely would have just written it off as "yet another yokai hunting series"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It definitely didn't help that it was stuck in the middle of a monster hunting comic glut.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Check out the last chapter of Marry Grave

It wasn't fair. :negative:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC there was one author that had two series like this. I think the same guy did both Red Sprite and Iron Knight, which both ended up this way. Feel bad for that guy, because his art was real good but he just couldn't write stuff that didn't feel cliche.

I always remember Double Arts ending with a drawing of a new character with the text “sorry I didn’t get to your part of the story, this page is just for you…”. At least Komi Naoshi eventually got their big break, so many just hang around the oneshot/ 2 vol runs circuit for years (I think they’re usually someone else’s assistants that submit stuff every now and then? Doesn’t make much sense otherwise). I recalled one of those from like 10 years ago that I thought had a good ending, and it and it was way worse than I remembered, but they seem to have a series running on Jump plus now and I’m glad for them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Zombie Powder got cancelled between arcs, which basically lead to a really good open ending that makes it feel like a completed prologue for a main series that never got made.

I really wish Kubo would pick it up again and continue.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think Kubo is perfectly happy to just do the occasional longer chapter of something and design work for other projects. I feel like he has no real desire to go back to a grueling manga schedule.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
If Kubo went monthly or Jump Plus, I could have a bit of hope that a Zombie Powder sequel could be okay. But I think he’s mostly burnt out after killing himself on Bleach. Burn the Witch was okay at best, so I can’t see him capturing his early stoner magic from Zombie Powder again.

All I want from Kubo at this point is for him to start his own fashion brand that ships internationally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Considering that Kubo working at the grueling mangaka schedule is what got us the ever-worsening Bleach, I can't say I blame him. Some writers handle time pressure better than others.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Barrage is probably the least depressing of those for me. It's an incredibly stock shonen manga without much to distinguish itself, and it really feels like after Zoo, Horikoshi just went "gently caress it. I'm going to make the most generic mass appeal series this time, maybe that'll catch on."

And when it didn't, he made something he actually cared about, and now it's the second longest running series in current Jump, with 50 million plus volumes sold.

Interesting to see people talking up Bone Collector. I didn't see much love when it was running, and I ditched pretty fast. Definitely didn't help it was sharing the modern monster hunter niche with JJK and Chainsaw Man, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Barrage is probably the least depressing of those for me. It's an incredibly stock shonen manga without much to distinguish itself, and it really feels like after Zoo, Horikoshi just went "gently caress it. I'm going to make the most generic mass appeal series this time, maybe that'll catch on."

And when it didn't, he made something he actually cared about, and now it's the second longest running series in current Jump, with 50 million plus volumes sold.

Interesting to see people talking up Bone Collector. I didn't see much love when it was running, and I ditched pretty fast. Definitely didn't help it was sharing the modern monster hunter niche with JJK and Chainsaw Man, of course.

No one talked it up when it was running because it wasn't great, but it had it's moments and charm. It was very standard shounen with some questionable ways to power up. But at least the ending was spectacular.