Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

homeless snail posted:

Simply turn your monitor into tate mode

With all the arcade games I play lately, I’m seriously considering getting a tv mount that would let me do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dual-monitor setup, but vertical.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FYI, Nintendo's site has periodically been putting up small quantities of refurb 2DSXLs for $99. Seems like they usually sell out in a couple minutes, but according to Reddit it's usually between 11AM-12:30PM EST when they go up.

Also, Gamestop just put a bunch of various 3DS refurbs up. Pricier than Nintendo, but I managed to grab a backup turquoise 2DSXL for $149. Keep an eye out because stuff keeps popping in and back out of stock (the turquoise 2DSXL was showing "only 1 in stock" but after I ordered and refreshed the page it let me add another one on a separate order [I didn't grab the 2nd one because I'm trying not to be greedy]) https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/more-gaming/nintendo-3ds/consoles/products/new-nintendo-2ds-xl-black-and-turquoise/10148099.html

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 23, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That I picked up one of the last new retail 2DS XLs at the start of 2020 has continually proved itself to be a great idea.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I honestly bought this one just now as a backup since I use my 2DSXL so often, now that they won't repair them either anymore.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

FYI, Nintendo's site has periodically been putting up small quantities of refurb 2DSXLs for $99. Seems like they usually sell out in a couple minutes, but according to Reddit it's usually between 11AM-12:30PM EST when they go up.

Also, Gamestop just put a bunch of various 3DS refurbs up. Pricier than Nintendo, but I managed to grab a backup turquoise 2DSXL for $149. Keep an eye out because stuff keeps popping in and back out of stock (the turquoise 2DSXL was showing "only 1 in stock" but after I ordered and refreshed the page it let me add another one on a separate order [I didn't grab the 2nd one because I'm trying not to be greedy]) https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/more-gaming/nintendo-3ds/consoles/products/new-nintendo-2ds-xl-black-and-turquoise/10148099.html

Just grabbed one. I’m a bit concerned about trusting GameStop refurbished consoles but I guess I can return it if it’s bad enough.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got a free 360 from some deal GameStop had a few years ago and it was so disgusting that I returned it anyways. Hope your 3DS turns out better than that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

Just grabbed one. I’m a bit concerned about trusting GameStop refurbished consoles but I guess I can return it if it’s bad enough.

I've heard a mix on Gamestop refurbs, but apparently it's a painless (if extremely disappointing) return in-store or online, so fingers crossed for both of us!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I got a free 360 from some deal GameStop had a few years ago and it was so disgusting that I returned it anyways. Hope your 3DS turns out better than that.

I got a 360 through the same deal and it came about as gross as you'd expect, and the hdmi port didn't work. Was able to take it in to my local store and exchange for a better looking and working console, hassle free!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you’ve seen the condition of the stuff I’ve traded into GameStop you wouldn’t buy refurbished. It’s a last resort type of place

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I’m having flashbacks to my time working at GameStop and the loving nasty non-working refurb consoles we would have to sell. I’m trying to cancel my order but it won’t let me lol

I guess in a way it’s sorta to their credit that they’re already too far in the boxing and shipping process 20 minutes after ordering to allow for a cancel

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 23, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly if it works and the screens aren't scratched, I'm happy. I don't mind going over it with a magic eraser and a bunch of q-tips to avoid paying twice the price on eBay.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought a 2DS XL off Mercari the day before the first batch of refurbs went on sale last week. Luckily it arrived in excellent condition. It’s definitely more comfortable than my N3DSXL and I got a nice grip for it too :)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Does the New 2DS XL use the same battery as the New 3DS XL?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Does the New 2DS XL use the same battery as the New 3DS XL?

No, it has the same battery as the old 3DS and 2DS (CTR-003).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I kinda wish I had decided I wanted to get 2/3DS sooner than I did and could have gotten a retail New 3DSXL. Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land both had parts clearly intended to show off 3D that were wonky to play without it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shiroc posted:

I kinda wish I had decided I wanted to get 2/3DS sooner than I did and could have gotten a retail New 3DSXL. Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land both had parts clearly intended to show off 3D that were wonky to play without it.

The 3D hurts my head generally but those two games in particular had sections where it actually did help.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shiroc posted:

Both those games use it really well and I couldn’t imagine playing them without it. The 3DS Kirby games also have really good 3D.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I sometimes wonder how the StreetPass game is these days.
I work in the trucking industry and travel throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts. I used to love leaving my system on Standby and racking up a bunch of pings throughout the day.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Both those games use it really well and I couldn’t imagine playing them without it. The 3DS Kirby games also have really good 3D.

Having played both without the 3D, I'm not gonna lie I kind of wish I had snagged a backup N3DSXL instead of a 2

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve got a few backup batteries and one backup circlepad. Hopefully nothing goes wrong that doesn’t involve either of those things!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Where'd you get the circlepad?

Nintendo still has spare batteries on their store; after the ordeal that was trying to get a decent battery for an old PSP , I might grab a backup or 2.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My nephew snapped his 3DS in a prepubescent rage and I kept the bottom half for harvesting.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Having played both without the 3D, I'm not gonna lie I kind of wish I had snagged a backup N3DSXL instead of a 2

Yeah, both of them had obvious 'USE 3D HERE' sections, which Mario even had the icon on screen for. Link Between Worlds would hurt my eyes after a while because I needed to focus more to see the subtle depth in dungeons that indicated different levels within a room.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The one part in ALBW I remember it helping with the most is the one cave in death mountain with the floating platforms over lava

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Heads up, batteries for New 3ds xl models seems to be back in stock on the nintendo website:

https://store.nintendo.com/battery-pack-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-nintendo-3ds-xl.html

Thanks for this, I'd been hoping to get a backup battery for a while now.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
For non-American residents, are the batteries off AliExpress generally “ok”? As in, may or may not be worth a poo poo, but won’t melt the system.

Y’all are giving me anxiety about the eventual failure of my Galaxy 3DS.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fly Ricky posted:

For non-American residents, are the batteries off AliExpress generally “ok”? As in, may or may not be worth a poo poo, but won’t melt the system.

Y’all are giving me anxiety about the eventual failure of my Galaxy 3DS.

Eh. Would not charge them unattended.

Some bigger manufacturers - Cameron Sino comes to mind - have reliably ok batteries. Try a RC or a tool battery specialized store, ordering lithium from China can be real annoying.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks, I’ll look into those.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trip report: got my 2DSXL from Gamestop and aside from a couple tiny scratches on the bottom, it's in virtually like-new condition!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Trip report: got my 2DSXL from Gamestop and aside from a couple tiny scratches on the bottom, it's in virtually like-new condition!

The bottoms of those things scratch for like, no reason at all - they otherwise hold up reasonably well to wear :kiddo:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I ordered a replacement battery for my n3ds xl from Nintendo and just received it. I’ve never noticed an issue with the battery that I currently have so I don’t plan on replacing it anytime soon. I wanted to be prepared for when the battery does eventually die like my gba micro did. What kind of playtime should I be getting and at what point should it be replaced?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I don't know how I slept on Pushmo/Pullblox for so long this poo poo is addicting as gently caress.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

loudog999 posted:

I ordered a replacement battery for my n3ds xl from Nintendo and just received it. I’ve never noticed an issue with the battery that I currently have so I don’t plan on replacing it anytime soon. I wanted to be prepared for when the battery does eventually die like my gba micro did. What kind of playtime should I be getting and at what point should it be replaced?

Honestly I would run it til it's blatantly noticeable, a dying battery isn't going to harm your system AFAIK

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Use it until it last for less than an hour or until it bulges

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

loudog999 posted:

Until it doesn't last enough anymore (I'd say below two hours) or it bulges or starts acting weird.

Do charge your backup battery to ~half every few months though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's the goon recommended N3DSXL grip? Looking to grab one before 3DS accessories get even more expensive.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's the goon recommended N3DSXL grip? Looking to grab one before 3DS accessories get even more expensive.

I just bought whatever was cheapest on AliExpress, works good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Two hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I just bought whatever was cheapest on AliExpress, works good.

The plastic ones on there look like the most recommended one on Amazon so think I’ll go that route. Thanks.