Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ishikabibble posted:

It's actually kind of funny in a sad way, as 'development delay' literally is the same thing as 'developmentally retarded'. 'Retard', by actual definition, means 'delay', and you still hear it used that way in certain places. Like when dealing with older cars, the phrase 'advance or retard the ignition' frequently comes up.

there was a thing briefly where some magic the gathering players tried to get the french version of the card "delay" banned because it of course was called "retard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Planes yell it at you just before you land.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Doug Stanhope has a bit about how moron, idiot and imbecile were terms for specific degrees of developmental delay a hundred years ago, and were happily co-opted as insults until the advent of retarded as a new term, swiftly appropriated etc. ad infinitium

Ron Howard Voice: It was Arrested Development.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This conversation reminds me of how 'spastic' and 'spaz out' are horrible slurs in the UK and it's deeply weird how casually they get thrown around in American English.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

This conversation reminds me of how 'spastic' and 'spaz out' are horrible slurs in the UK and it's deeply weird how casually they get thrown around in American English.

did you think about that while smoking a fag

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

TBF I don't think I've ever seen the words used in relation to muscle spasms or people with cerebral palsy. I think they're just thought of as another word for "weirdo" over here. I doubt most people even make the connection.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Alaois posted:

did you think about that while smoking a fag

I thought about it, but that's arguably different since the non-slur meaning of "human being" long predates it and cigarettes are an extension of that usage, but "spaz" really only has origins as a disparaging term.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oh I know most people don't mean anything bad by it, it's just startling.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The reason it's distinctly UK is that the organisation to help mentally and physically disabled people used to be called the "Spastic Society" in the UK - however, spastic of course started to be used as a slur like all those terms do, so they renamed it Scope. Now it's been called that ever since and spastic has gone completely out of fashion because of what it was turned into.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

never ever ever call a canadian a goof or goofy, because that means they are a pedophile

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Arivia posted:

never ever ever call a canadian a goof or goofy, because that means they are a pedophile

This show is banned in Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goof_Troop

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is that where the "IT'S GOOFY TIME" meme comes from?

Actually, I don't want to know.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jun 23, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When I get life in prison for horrible crimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL5w91dzbo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

The reason it's distinctly UK is that the organisation to help mentally and physically disabled people used to be called the "Spastic Society" in the UK - however, spastic of course started to be used as a slur like all those terms do, so they renamed it Scope. Now it's been called that ever since and spastic has gone completely out of fashion because of what it was turned into.

"Retarded" was ultimately on that track too but thanks to the dipshits running Rick and Morty literally stopping their show midstream to talk about how awful it is to label retardation a pejorative (and that it's the fault of "powerful people") basically an entire generation of edgy teens see it as loaded and live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBoKxEcVAA

The real irony here is that Harmon is out as on the spectrum, if Roiland isn't then I'm a monkey's uncle, and they've even gone so far as to imply the character Rick is too. I know that later episodes of this cartoon have tried to gently backpedal empowering the absolute worst types of dudes, but this one in-particular has aged really really badly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

When I get life in prison for horrible crimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL5w91dzbo

With a rebel yell, he cried gawrsh gawrsh gawrsh

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arivia posted:

As a Canadian…huh?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Phylodox posted:

As a Canadian…huh?

Yeah that's not really a true statement except... in prison! A couple of my friends work at the jail and one of them told me exactly that, that it means pedo among prisoners and presumably that trickles out into the real world as they get out. So I guess be careful who you call a "fuckin goof" up here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah that's not really a true statement except... in prison! A couple of my friends work at the jail and one of them told me exactly that, that it means pedo among prisoners and presumably that trickles out into the real world as they get out. So I guess be careful who you call a "fuckin goof" up here.

Yeah, I was generalizing instead of telling the thread how to check for terminal hoser-dom.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like an apology would go pretty far in Canada relative to the rest of the anglophone world, though.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Diet Poison posted:

It's been west coast slang for one for, two decades at least?
I can't be positive the first time I heard it used in that context, but it' has been for a while.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I feel like an apology would go pretty far in Canada relative to the rest of the anglophone world, though.

Calling someone a goof is basically instant grounds for being attacked among the kind of people who use it as slang/an accusation. It's a serious enough accusation you don't get the opportunity to apologize.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What's the Canadian prison etiquette for if someone calls you late to dinner?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Crowetron posted:

What's the Canadian prison etiquette for if someone calls you late to dinner?

Shanked with a sharpened poutine fry

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HopperUK posted:

Oh, dear....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tfLWVqZ2I8

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

HopperUK posted:

:eyepop:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Of course there is a regional variation in the United States of the term package store, meaning a liquor store, that shortens it to "packy," which I feel would be received differently in the UK.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Weird, I don't remember that scene from Reservoir Dogs....

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Of course there is a regional variation in the United States of the term package store, meaning a liquor store, that shortens it to "packy," which I feel would be received differently in the UK.

Consider it a tradeoff for what they call cigarettes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Canada calls electricity hydro. It’s a mad land with no rules

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

kupachek posted:

It's been west coast slang for one for, two decades at least?
I can't be positive the first time I heard it used in that context, but it' has been for a while.

Aw gently caress, seriously? I use Goofus as a screen name basically everywhere but SA and I just moved to Vancouver last month...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gallant dutifully studies and respects the small but important cultural differences between the US and Canada before visiting.

Goofus- GOOD LORD GOOFUS NO

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Canada calls electricity hydro. It’s a mad land with no rules

eeeeeeehhhhhhh that's only in parts of the country where the majority of the power grid is dependent on hydro, though upon reflection that does make up probably 80% of the population but we definitely don't call it "hydro" here in my backward-rear end province

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ive heard goof used to mean pedo and im from Texas but its definitely not the same frequency and if you called someone a goof they would most likely not think of that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
God I don't blame Mickey for leaving Minnie now.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Hardcordion posted:

Aw gently caress, seriously? I just moved to Vancouver last month...

Yeah, unfortunately.

You moved just in time for the heatwave, so stay hydrated and safe. Hope you have AC or at least some good fans.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If you're ever in the UK, please never refer to any place of business, especially a convenience store, as a "packy shop" 😬

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

If you're ever in the UK, please never refer to any place of business, especially a convenience store, as a "packy shop" 😬

I don’t think that exact mixup would happen, since it’s not a “packy shop”, just a “packy”

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think that exact mixup would happen, since it’s not a “packy shop”, just a “packy”

That's racist slang for a person of Pakistani origin in the UK (though since racists are dumb as gently caress it gets used on basically everyone Not From Round Ere)

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

The shop thing does exist in colloquial UK English, although I don't think you'll hear many people use it, for the obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I mean, what you'd say in the Greater Boston area is: I am going to the packie/packy.