Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

zoux posted:

How trumpy is the Michigan state GOP

The last GOP Governor in Michigan is best known for poisoning Flint, but what a lot of people don't know is that he literally replaced mayors of a few cities because he deemed they were doing a bad job.

All of which is to say, they were very trumpy before people even thought that Trump would seriously run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Youth Decay posted:

Ah good call, although now I'm wondering what kind of place he owns where he can have 15 cats in NYC. No way he's renting with that many.

It says in the article that he and his wife own a studio in the Upper Westside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1407783559742558213

Ah, Diane Feinstein thinks it's still 1996.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

McAfee had that weird tortured energy of family members of mine who desperately needed intervention but were instead just wealthy enough to gently caress off, do nothing about their mental health, and stay inured from accountability long enough to make strings of the sorts of elaborately Extremely Bad Life Decisions that normal nonrich people can barely aspire to

edit: Feinstein has that energy of an incontinence-briefed strom thurmond being carried around on each shoulder by his aides through the halls of power and being told what button to push, half the time not knowing what fuckin decade he was in

Staluigi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 23, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, he's talking to Rep. Michael Waltz. He's the only Green Beret to serve in congress (he wears his beret and talks about it frequently).

Ah, got it. I'm not like, a military fanboy or anything, but like - being an are troops means potentially actually sacrificing something and working hard and possibly even achieving based on your own merit. Not for great ends, of course, the US military industrial complex is a bad force in the world. I'm just saying being a Green Beret usually means "achieving something other than what your father handed you" so it couldn't possibly be Gaetz.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah not Gaetz (:lol: could you imagine?)

He was talking to this guy,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Waltz

EFB, have a dog/cat picture instead.

They are good friends. They are good friends to each other and in my heart they are good friends to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Staluigi posted:

McAfee had that weird tortured energy of family members of mine who desperately needed intervention but were instead just wealthy enough to gently caress off, do nothing about their mental health, and stay inured from accountability long enough to make strings of the sorts of elaborately Extremely Bad Life Decisions that normal nonrich people can barely aspire to

Yeah it's called "bipolar disorder" and it's extremely hard to treat, or at least to get people to commit to treatment, since the leading therapies loving suck.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

It says in the article that he and his wife own a studio in the Upper Westside.

It has to be like a 5000sf loft "studio" right

I mean, 15 cats. That's a lot of fuckin cats.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ah, got it. I'm not like, a military fanboy or anything, but like - being an are troops means potentially actually sacrificing something and working hard and possibly even achieving based on your own merit. Not for great ends, of course, the US military industrial complex is a bad force in the world. I'm just saying being a Green Beret usually means "achieving something other than what your father handed you" so it couldn't possibly be Gaetz.

They are good friends. They are good friends to each other and in my heart they are good friends to me.

Waltz is also a massive shithead, but despite that he did get into college, get promoted, and run for congress without a rich political dad to do it all for him.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

zoux posted:

Yeah it's called "bipolar disorder" and it's extremely hard to treat, or at least to get people to commit to treatment, since the leading therapies loving suck.

One eventually did, but I think the other two had deeper issues still and I have no idea how that was ever going to turn out okay. In the end, "having lots of money" was only a complication, not anything which helped them versus having none. And I watch what McAfee did and it just gives me that feel.

One thing I did conclusively learn from the saga, though, is how quickly and effectively some predatory industries can laser-target people in mental distress and attach the lamprey hooks, with every intent of keeping the new money ticket's personal dysregulation going as long as possible.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I just barely remember Sliwa from the news in...what 1985? Marching around in a beret with a goon squad. I wasn't especially politically or socially aware, but I pretty much assumed Guardian Angels was a bunch of working class whites beating up blacks with a wink and a nod from the police. Is it actually not lovely?

The wiki doesn't really add much clarity.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

"jeopardy is when you have to make your answers sound like questions to get a chance to spin the Bingo wheel. Yahtzee"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

God is clearly getting bored with this season and adding plot twists to shake it up.

quote:

Scientist Finds Early Virus Sequences That Had Been Mysteriously Deleted

By rooting through files stored on Google Cloud, a researcher says he recovered 13 early coronavirus sequences that had disappeared from a database last year.

About a year ago, genetic sequences from more than 200 virus samples from early cases of Covid-19 in Wuhan disappeared from an online scientific database.

Now, by rooting through files stored on Google Cloud, a researcher in Seattle reports that he has recovered 13 of those original sequences — intriguing new information for discerning when and how the virus may have spilled over from a bat or another animal into humans.

The new analysis, released on Tuesday, bolsters earlier suggestions that a variety of coronaviruses may have been circulating in Wuhan before the initial outbreaks linked to animal and seafood markets in December 2019.

As the Biden administration investigates the contested origins of the virus, known as SARS-CoV-2, the study neither strengthens nor discounts the hypothesis that the pathogen leaked out of a famous Wuhan lab. But it does raise questions about why original sequences were deleted, and suggests that there may be more revelations to recover from the far corners of the internet.

“This is a great piece of sleuth work for sure, and it significantly advances efforts to understand the origin of SARS-CoV-2,” said Michael Worobey, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Arizona who was not involved in the study.

Jesse Bloom, a virologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center who wrote the new report, called the deletion of these sequences suspicious. It “seems likely that the sequences were deleted to obscure their existence,” he wrote in the paper, which has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal.

Dr. Bloom and Dr. Worobey belong to an outspoken group of scientists who have called for more research into how the pandemic began. In a letter published in May, they complained that there wasn’t enough information to determine whether it was more likely that a lab leak spread the coronavirus, or that it leapt to humans from contact with an infected animal outside of a lab.

The genetic sequences of viral samples hold crucial clues about how SARS-CoV-2 shifted to our species from another animal, most likely a bat. Most precious of all are sequences from early in the pandemic, because they take scientists closer to the original spillover event.

As Dr. Bloom was reviewing what genetic data had been published by various research groups, he came across a March 2020 study with a spreadsheet that included information on 241 genetic sequences collected by scientists at Wuhan University. The spreadsheet indicated that the scientists had uploaded the sequences to an online database called the Sequence Read Archive, managed by the U.S. government’s National Library of Medicine.

But when Dr. Bloom looked for the Wuhan sequences in the database earlier this month, his only result was “no item found.”

Puzzled, he went back to the spreadsheet for any further clues. It indicated that the 241 sequences had been collected by a scientist named Aisi Fu at Renmin Hospital in Wuhan. Searching medical literature, Dr. Bloom eventually found another study posted online in March 2020 by Dr. Fu and colleagues, describing a new experimental test for SARS-CoV-2. The Chinese scientists published it in a scientific journal three months later.

In that study, the scientists wrote that they had looked at 45 samples from nasal swabs taken “from outpatients with suspected Covid-19 early in the epidemic.” They then searched for a portion of SARS-CoV-2’s genetic material in the swabs. The researchers did not publish the actual sequences of the genes they fished out of the samples. Instead, they only published some mutations in the viruses.

But a number of clues indicated to Dr. Bloom that the samples were the source of the 241 missing sequences. The papers included no explanation as to why the sequences had been uploaded to the Sequence Read Archive, only to disappear later.

Perusing the archive, Dr. Bloom figured out that many of the sequences were stored as files on Google Cloud. Each sequence was contained in a file in the cloud, and the names of the files all shared the same basic format, he reported.

Dr. Bloom swapped in the code for a missing sequence from Wuhan. Suddenly, he had the sequence. All told, he managed to recover 13 sequences from the cloud this way.

With this new data, Dr. Bloom looked back once more at the early stages of the pandemic. He combined the 13 sequences with other published sequences of early coronaviruses, hoping to make progress on building the family tree of SARS-CoV-2.

Working out all the steps by which SARS-CoV-2 evolved from a bat virus has been a challenge because scientists still have a limited number of samples to study. Some of the earliest samples come from the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, where an outbreak occurred in December 2019.

But those market viruses actually have three extra mutations that are missing from SARS-CoV-2 samples collected weeks later. In other words, those later viruses look more like coronaviruses found in bats, supporting the idea that there was some early lineage of the virus that did not pass through the seafood market.

Dr. Bloom found that the deleted sequences he recovered from the cloud also lack those extra mutations. “They’re three steps more similar to the bat coronaviruses than the viruses from the Huanan fish market,” Dr. Bloom said.

This suggests, he said, that by the time SARS-CoV-2 reached the market, it had been circulating for awhile in Wuhan or beyond. The market viruses, he argued, aren’t representative of full diversity of coronaviruses already loose in late 2019.

“Maybe our picture of what was present early in Wuhan from what has been sequenced might be somewhat biased,” he said.

In his report, Dr. Bloom acknowledged that this conclusion would have to be confirmed with a deeper analysis of the virus sequences. Dr. Worobey said that he and his colleagues are working on a large-scale study of SARS-CoV-2 genes to better understand its origin and that they’ll now add Dr. Bloom’s 13 recovered sequences.

“These additional data will play a big role in that effort,” Dr. Worobey said.

It’s not clear why this valuable information went missing in the first place. Scientists can request that files be deleted by sending an email to the managers of the Sequence Read Archive. The National Library of Medicine, which manages the archive, said that the 13 sequences were removed last summer.

“These SARS-CoV-2 sequences were submitted for posting in SRA in March 2020 and subsequently requested to be withdrawn by the submitting investigator in June 2020,” said Renata Myles, a spokeswoman for the National Institutes of Health.

She said that the investigator, whom she did not name, told the archive managers that the sequences were being updated and would be added to a different database. But Dr. Bloom has searched every database he knows of, and has yet to find them. “Obviously I can’t rule out that the sequences are on some other database or web page somewhere, but I have not been able to find them any of the obvious places I’ve looked,” he said.

Three of the co-authors of the 2020 testing study that produced the 13 sequences did not immediately respond to emails inquiring about Dr. Bloom’s finding. That study did not give contact information for another co-author, Dr. Fu, who was also named on the spreadsheet from the other study.

Some scientists are skeptical that there is anything sinister behind the removal of the sequences. “I don’t really understand how this points to a cover-up,” said Stephen Goldstein, a virologist at the University of Utah.

Dr. Goldstein noted that the testing paper listed the individual mutations the Wuhan researchers found in their tests. Although the full sequences are no longer in the archive, the key information has been public for over a year, he said. It was just tucked away in a format that is hard for researchers to find.

“We all missed this relatively obscure paper,” Dr. Goldstein said.

“You can’t really say why they were removed,” Dr. Bloom acknowledged in an interview. “You can say that the practical consequence of removing them was that people didn’t notice they existed.” He also noted that the Chinese government ordered the destruction of a number of early samples of the virus and barred the publication of papers on the coronavirus without its approval.

For his part, Dr. Worobey still wants answers. “I hope we hear from the authors who generated, but then deleted, these crucial sequences so we can understand more about their motivation for doing so,” he said. “It certainly is strange at face value and really demands an explanation.”

Regardless of what happened to these 13 sequences, Dr. Bloom now wonders what other clues might be discovered online. In order to reconstruct the origin of Covid-19, all those clues potentially matter.

“Ideally, we need to try to find as many other early sequences as possible,” he said. “And I think this study suggests that we should look everywhere.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/science/coronavirus-sequences.html

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1407783046695239698

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 23, 2021

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Slo-Tek posted:

I just barely remember Sliwa from the news in...what 1985? Marching around in a beret with a goon squad. I wasn't especially politically or socially aware, but I pretty much assumed Guardian Angels was a bunch of working class whites beating up blacks with a wink and a nod from the police. Is it actually not lovely?

Thankfully in reality they do jack poo poo. Turns out walking around looking for crime doesn’t really work. Most of the poo poo they claim to have done they made up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeSantis trying really hard to make sure he hits every conservative pet theory of the day with legislation as fast as possible.

I honestly respect his commitment to making government work quickly.

https://twitter.com/WHAS11/status/1407564070966988800

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Are you saying we shouldn't be trying to appease the nation's myriad malicious cryptids? Because I think that's short sighted and could lead to Bigfoot problems down the road.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1407766250495922179

How trumpy is the Michigan state GOP

Considering there was at least some connection to members of the Michigan Republican party with the white terror militia that tried to kidnap and/or kill Governor Whitmer, I'm going to say "probably pretty Trumpy"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

zoux posted:

By all accounts bipolar was just one of many otherwise huge things that mcafee was dealing with (almost all of them poorly). Dude was a piece of poo poo and in ways that have literally nothing to do with bipolar at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Missouri is about to ban any health plan that is subsidized or funded by the government from covering IUDs or Plan B.

quote:

Missouri GOP likely to include ban on birth control coverage in Medicaid tax compromise

Missouri Republicans are still weighing a ban on Medicaid coverage of Plan B and other contraceptives as part of a compromise on renewing a crucial tax that funds the health program.

quote:

Republicans now appear ready to negotiate an agreement on their own and haven’t sought the support of Democratic leadership. Including some form of a coverage ban would signal that top GOP officials hope to win over the most conservative and vocally anti-abortion senators.

I like that there is no questioning why the most "most conservative and vocally anti-abortion senators" would be against IUDs and what they have to do with abortion.

quote:

Senate Minority Leader John Rizzo told The Star on Wednesday that Senate Majority Leader Caleb Rowden, following the meeting between Parson and GOP senators, told him that Republicans are working on a proposal that includes a Medicaid coverage ban on specific contraceptives.

In a text message, Rowden, a Columbia Republican, told The Star the Democrats “have the language in front of them.”

quote:

which included a proposed coverage ban on the emergency contraceptives Plan B and Ella, and intrauterine devices (IUDs). The proposal also includes a ban on the abortion pill.

quote:

Some legislators and advocates have raised concerns that the bans could endanger federal funding for Medicaid.

The federal government requires states to cover family planning services, and it requires all insurance plans to cover birth control.

But a group of hard-right senators, led by Sen. Paul Wieland, an Imperial Republican, have insisted on including the ban as a condition of supporting a renewal of the provider tax. Before 2021, the General Assembly had never failed to renew the tax during its regular session.

Wieland did not respond to a request for comment.

“You want to force people who have a moral objection to that, you want to force them to have their taxpayer money pay for it? That’s the question,” said Sen. Eric Burlison, a Battlefield Republican.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article252159208.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean she probably literally does. her brain is more mush then trumps now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden is extending the federal eviction moratorium.

And the CDC finished the study of heart inflammation in vaccinated children, found that it happens in roughly 0.12% of kids over 12 (12-17), and does not recommend anyone not vaccinate their kids unless they have an existing heart condition.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06/23/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-mask

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 23, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Biden is extending the federal eviction moratorium.

And the CDC finished the study of heart inflammation in vaccinated children, found that it happens in roughly 0.12% of kids under 12, and does not recommend anyone not vaccinate their kids unless they have an existing heart condition.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06/23/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-mask

What's the timeline on an under 12 vaccine? I want my 2 year old and 7 year old vaxxed asap

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BonoMan posted:

What's the timeline on an under 12 vaccine? I want my 2 year old and 7 year old vaxxed asap

I typo'd the original and meant to say kids over 12 (12-17) for the heart inflammation.

A different story from today seems to say that September is the likely date, but it could be as late as January 2022. It depends on the initial test results and safety approval.

quote:

“For kids younger than 12 years of age, we know there are studies going on right now for Pfizer, for Moderna and for others, and we’re tracking those,” Dr. Choucair said. “The colleagues at the NIH and the FDA and the CDC will be reviewing those. Once we get the result of those data, the result of those trials, when we start seeing the data and they get evaluated by our scientists and HHS, that’s when we will know we’ll be able to have vaccines available for younger than 12 years of age.”

Basically:

September if everything goes off with no complications.
January 2020 is everything goes wrong.
Somewhere in between if there are minor issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

Considering there was at least some connection to members of the Michigan Republican party with the white terror militia that tried to kidnap and/or kill Governor Whitmer, I'm going to say "probably pretty Trumpy"

IIRC Michigan is also trying to make it legal for the state legislature to override the Voter Boards.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1316801215083225096

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

January 2020 is everything goes wrong.

Dang, that is a powerful time error.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/RanttMedia/status/1407753160760889351

i like how upset gaetz is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

They're pretty lovely

https://twitter.com/protest_nyc/status/1357726050625740803

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

DeSantis trying really hard to make sure he hits every conservative pet theory of the day with legislation as fast as possible.

I honestly respect his commitment to making government work quickly.

https://twitter.com/WHAS11/status/1407564070966988800

Given how sex ed went when I was in school I feel like this is a great way to have this backfire and have kids think communism is :krad:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m OK with a future in which high schoolers are secretly trading the Communist Manifesto and DSA YouTubes instead of the Anarchist’s Cookbook and Faces of Death VHSes

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did we get this new thread title?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Man, DARE was such a success, surely this won't go badly for them this time.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Grouchio posted:

McAfee tweet or something I dont have it off hand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Of course the GOP nominee for NYC mayor is some kind of brownshirt leader who was last relevant in the 1980s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

McAfee tweet or something I dont have it off hand

He tattooed it on his arm.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of course the GOP nominee for NYC mayor is some kind of brownshirt leader who was last relevant in the 1980s.

Well he does want to save the kittens and puppers at least

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Grouchio posted:

This right here.
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1200864283766251521

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I admire the tattooist's restraint in not "accidentally" making the D an O.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Well he does want to save the kittens and puppers at least

Silwa also wants to bring back the death penalty for humans

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I never followed this McAffee guy's situation very closely. Seemed like a lovely guy. But he 100% killed himself after saying several times "if I'm found to have killed myself, it's a conspiracy I didn't do it." I honestly have to respect that level of trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I never followed this McAffee guy's situation very closely. Seemed like a lovely guy. But he 100% killed himself after saying several times "if I'm found to have killed myself, it's a conspiracy I didn't do it." I honestly have to respect that level of trolling.
He did it because he's a coward and didn't want to go to jail after previously fleeing the US because he did a bunch of crimes