Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LochNessMonster posted:

Didn’t McAfee claim he’d never kill himself and if he did he’d be Epsteined?

Either way, RIP.

To be fair if I was an agent of chaos on my way to be extradited to US jails in my 70s, I too would make the same claim before punching that ticket.

It’s his last and greatest act!

Well, second greatest. The whale loving is kinda unparalleled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It's John McAfee. Not to go all q-anon conspiracy nutso, but would it really be that surprising if this wasn't his last act? "Faking his own death" absolutely sounds like a McAfeean stunt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's definitely plausible, but he was also 75 and had treated his body like poo poo. It's more likely that it caught up to him.

edit - oh duh, I hadn't read the news yet and everyone's calling it a suicide. so scratch that.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 23, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LochNessMonster posted:

Didn’t McAfee claim he’d never kill himself and if he did he’d be Epsteined?

Either way, RIP.

Imagine going out of your way to murder someone who's determined to crash and burn.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It's John McAfee. Not to go all q-anon conspiracy nutso, but would it really be that surprising if this wasn't his last act? "Faking his own death" absolutely sounds like a McAfeean stunt.

In my mind I'm seeing a movie based on his life and this is the ending. Christian Bale will play the lead obviously.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

If it's persistent, mutli-user, I believe that's close if not already in Preview. If it's non-persistent of either flavor... expect to keep waiting for a bit.

We have hundreds of these in production, so preview or not MS is willing to give them full support.

Except if you need DLP on them, then no vendor (including MS) has a supported product.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

We have hundreds of these in production, so preview or not MS is willing to give them full support.

Except if you need DLP on them, then no vendor (including MS) has a supported product.

Persistent or non-persistent? Although MS's "non-persistent" is a bit of a misnomer, because those VDIs continue existing after reboot and only get destroyed on a new golden image redeploy, which is different than how everyone else handles it. So in theory it probably "mostly works," even for non-persistent.

And yeah, Microsoft is generally pretty good about supporting their stuff in Preview. They are trying to get the product out the door, after all.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:ninja:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Persistent or non-persistent? Although MS's "non-persistent" is a bit of a misnomer, because those VDIs continue existing after reboot and only get destroyed on a new golden image redeploy, which is different than how everyone else handles it. So in theory it probably "mostly works," even for non-persistent.

And yeah, Microsoft is generally pretty good about supporting their stuff in Preview. They are trying to get the product out the door, after all.

Persistent, though we have scaling enabled, so if all users sign out a VM will be shut down until demand rises enough.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just in case anyone else is curious about the topic, here's the latest I'm aware of. Although my new place doesn't have Azure Virtual Desktops and seems to have some weird aversion to cloud. They're talking about trying to extend their Horizon deployment to Azure because ??? and we're also looking at running containers in Tanzu for both on-prem and in the cloud because "cloud agnostic" sounds nice oh yeah and we'll use VMware in AWS because ??? and then we'll use VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery for DR and and and.... I'm tired, folks. Real tired.

Oh, and all VMs will continue to be on-prem first, with no plans of migrating them because ????

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Just wanted to say the postings here were inspirational on how some of you started at low levels in IT and moved up quickly after a few years.

I just moved from a horrible job I was at for 2 years. Basically did everything there Tier 1, Tier 2, NOC, system admin, etc. There were P1s happening at that location multiple times a week... crazy place.

It's very weird this week starting this new job. For some reason I'm not exhausted when I get home and instantly just having dinner and going to bed. I didn't realize how much that job was negatively affecting my health and my quality of life.
Besides that this new position is remote and pays a lot more!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This place was instrumental in getting me where I am today.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 24, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This place had nothing to do with my career progression lol but is still a fun place to be and I support you all!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

It's very weird this week starting this new job. For some reason I'm not exhausted when I get home and instantly just having dinner and going to bed. I didn't realize how much that job was negatively affecting my health and my quality of life.

Hey, that's really great. I'm super happy for you! I'm one of those unfortunate souls whose work has a big effect on their mental state and it really is nice to enjoy what you're doing.

CLAM DOWN posted:

This place had nothing to do with my career progression lol but is still a fun place to be and I support you all!

CLAM DOWN pulled himself up by his bootstraps.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SA is by far the biggest ROI in my life. The resume\negotiations thread are probably the 2 best threads on these dead gay forums and probably responsible for millions of dollars of increased worth among goons

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got into my career before SA even existed, because I could set up a PPP connection on a linux machine and I had a friend that worked at the ISP that hired.

Then about a year into it we were all in the NOC thinking this new JeffK thing was the funniest thing ever.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

George H.W. oval office posted:

SA is by far the biggest ROI in my life. The resume\negotiations thread are probably the 2 best threads on these dead gay forums and probably responsible for millions of dollars of increased worth among goons

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but methanar’s k8s rants literally got me $17K and a title bump thanks to a very conveniently timed counter offer.

Beyond that though, I can’t count the amount of times I’ve come off like an idiot here so I could sound way smarter at work. It’s been such a joy to see everyone ITT grow and progress in their careers, and I find this community extraordinarily valuable. Y’all a bunch of cool people, I’ve learned a ton from all of you, and I hope that as I keep growing other people benefit just the same.

DropsySufferer posted:

Just wanted to say the postings here were inspirational on how some of you started at low levels in IT and moved up quickly after a few years.

I just moved from a horrible job I was at for 2 years. Basically did everything there Tier 1, Tier 2, NOC, system admin, etc. There were P1s happening at that location multiple times a week... crazy place.

It’s a really wild field if you play your cards right. From a helpdesk internship to SRE in three years of IT (over 5 years of time, 3 years exactly of actual work).

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 24, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

This place was instrumental in getting me where I am today.

Same, if it wasn't for Coupons and Deals I would have been far poorer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I hadn't had this place as an outlet during the Tony years I think my brain would've melted. Working for him made me feel like I was going crazy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

There's MSIX app attached built into the management plane now, but if you're looking for integration with MEM, it's slowly rolling out. For a persistent, single-user Win10 VM, I believe it's now in Preview. If it's persistent, mutli-user, I believe that's close if not already in Preview. If it's non-persistent of either flavor... expect to keep waiting for a bit.

After doing some digging today I came across this doozy.

You either have to have on-prem ad or spend money on the new SCCM. Yuck. Personal virtual desktop host pools use intune/endpoint manager just fine.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s a really wild field if you play your cards right. From a helpdesk internship to SRE in three years of IT (over 5 years of time, 3 years exactly of actual work).

When I was hired for the new job I was told a reason they decided to hire me is because they thought I be would a valuable hire that would grow with the company in the years to come.

Of course my plan is to learn everything I can learn and get experience in everything I can. Once I stop learning and have mastered the job then time to move on.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Supported a customer today (I'm presales at a vendor) because our reporting was off - all users were showing with the same name in our system.

After a day of troubleshooting everything in our system, engaging support urgently, we found the problem - all of their users have the same SID - they don't sysprep, or create new users, they just clone devices and rename the user. They currently have thousands of devices affected by this.

This is going to be fun.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

orange sky posted:

Supported a customer today (I'm presales at a vendor) because our reporting was off - all users were showing with the same name in our system.

After a day of troubleshooting everything in our system, engaging support urgently, we found the problem - all of their users have the same SID - they don't sysprep, or create new users, they just clone devices and rename the user. They currently have thousands of devices affected by this.

This is going to be fun.

Lol can you just walk away?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

orange sky posted:

This is going to be fun.

Wait, they run their entire business off local windows accounts? I would also assume that the computers accounts all have the same SID, which is worse.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yep, that was an interesting e-mail I wrote to the VP of technology. I could theoretically walk away but I'll just wait for them to try and solve it, I told them to engage Microsoft, because in the end I need to sell the product :10bux:

Also yeah they probably have the same machine SIDs as well. I don't know how it's not causing any other issues (perhaps it is and they just don't know it).

Best part is they asked *us* to contact Microsoft to help with the problem. We have no relation to Microsoft, no current contract with the customer or anything, we're just running a POC. Lmao.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 24, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

I would also assume that the computers accounts all have the same SID, which is worse.

I thought this hasn't mattered in like a decade?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I've definitely got an eyebrow raised over here. Machine SID really shouldn't matter and hasn't for a long time. And "rename the user account" also sounds strange. The individual user accounts should still show up as individual users...?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I thought this hasn't mattered in like a decade?

It basically never mattered unless it’s for a domain controller, but sysprep does other important things and having duplicate sids is a pretty big canary for sysprep having not been run. : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-blog-archive/the-machine-sid-duplication-myth-and-why-sysprep-matters/ba-p/723859

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I've definitely got an eyebrow raised over here. Machine SID really shouldn't matter and hasn't for a long time. And "rename the user account" also sounds strange. The individual user accounts should still show up as individual users...?

Our system IDs users by their SID, which (in all our other customers, so far, that I'm aware of) are unique because the system is sysprepped. There's something to be said of how we do it, sure, and I'll send a note to engineering that it isn't ideal, but completely cloning a device and changing the username in the system is definitely not the best practice.. And yes, these are local accounts, they're managing them through Intune.

I'm pretty sure we're not the only system in existence that tells users apart by SID as opposed to usernames, at least that's how it makes sense (e.g. multiple local users with the same name). So even in the future with other products they could have problems with this.

This is not their entire estate, they have some domain-joined ones that don't have this problem.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 24, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, okay, so that detail matters. If a machine doesn't join the domain, it doesn't get a new SID. I guess a company that only uses local machines with only local accounts probably does need a third party tool to tell which machines are which and which users are which. :D

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah when I used to image computers using Novell, all our desktops had the same SID. Wasn't an issue. Not the case now with SCCM though.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Recruiter spam:

Direct client: Google San Jose CA (Remote till COVID)

What the gently caress is "remote till COVID" in mid 2021?
It gets worse, it's for "full stack engineer" that also wants experience in distributed systems, golang, java, cassandra with no mention of the other half of the stack

Impotence fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 24, 2021

orange sky
May 7, 2007

You'll work remotely until you get covid, at that point you are forced to go to the office

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I’ve seen “remote til COVID” a few times and it doesn’t make any loving sense. Pretty amazing that people whose entire job is communication can be so loving bad at it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I’ve seen “remote til COVID” a few times and it doesn’t make any loving sense.

This makes a lot of sense:

orange sky posted:

You'll work remotely until you get covid, at that point you are forced to go to the office

It seems like the first symptom of covid has traditionally been wanting to visit as many stores as possible and travel as much as possible.

That being said, the general volume of recruiter spam I've been getting has increased exponentially in the last two weeks. They always stop talking whenever I ask "100% remote?"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

This board inspired me to get out of low-level Walmart jobs and into school + a corporate gig. I'm not there yet, but I would not be here without reading and half understanding the posts of all the professionals here.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A couple of months ago I was passed to a new boss and she is micromanaging the poo poo out of me. After many years of bosses almost completely ignoring me this is especially annoying. She treats me like she thinks I'm stupid and inexperienced. Also she is a terrible communicator, and it's exhausting trying to explain something to her while she talks over me. Like my last boss she is always hostile, as if I did something to her.

I'm working on a Powerpoint at her behest (The reason is a long and tedious story I won't go into) and I just emailed her the third version. A few minutes later she replies that she wants it in PDF format so she can edit it and mark it up. Well... ok. I save as PDF and send it to her.

A few minutes later she replies that she meant ppt format. But... that's what I sent her in the first place, so I sent it to her again. :psyduck:

EDIT: I can barely remember what it was like to have a boss who acted as if we were on the same side. 2004?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 24, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sure you didn’t use pptx the first time?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I did use pptx, because that's been Powerpoint's default format since... 2007? And that's what she wanted but she is a goddamn idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was assuming she was using PowerPoint 2003 and the deck you sent her opened read-only in the stand-alone viewer