Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

crime fighting hog posted:

Does anyone have the post about a train worker describing what a derailment would be like? Included something about ducking for cover before the literal tons of metal and fire bury everyone alive in the engine car. I can't find it for the life of me.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty much this. It is hard to explain not just the physics, but the amounts of forces involved.

We use throttle to create stretching or "draft" forces and dynamic braking (think of downhill engine braking in a car) to create bunching or "buff" forces.

To start with, when you are running the train, you are feathering the throttle or dynamic braking to keep "in train forces" at acceptable levels. This is based upon the terrain each part of the train is passing over.

Even small changes in grade, if there are enough of them under the length of the train, are enough to break knuckles, rip out draw bars, or derail cars simply by doing "nothing at all" at the wrong time.

In these situations heavier applications of power or dynamic brake are required to keep these "in train forces" down.

Think of a large sliced loaf of bread. I take the wrapper off of it and ask you to carry it across the room. One hand on each end should suffice. A small amount of pressure to keep the bread from being crushed and across the room you go.

The knuckle and drawbar connections between the cars seem very strong to the layman, but when compared to the amount of weight of loaded freight cars, and all of the cars behind them piled upon it, it may as well be dental floss.

You can break dental floss easily, but the difference is that it is hard to "crush" dental floss.

The poster I have quoted above is addressing something we call "train make up". THe "in train forces" can be additionally effected by the way cars or groups of cars are placed in the train. Long cars next to short cars, loads next to empties.

Generally freight trains that are not hauling a bulk of the same commodity are mixed freight. A bulk commodity train would be an entire train of wheat or coal. These trains are very heavy, and have their own set of problems, but in general do not have any issue of train make up because all of the cars are generally the same weight and type. Mixed freight trains are the most common types of trains on the main rail thoroughfares.

A mixed freight train I haul might have 25 heavy loaded lumber cars, 15 empty or loaded auto racks, 20 empty or loaded tank cars of various lengths, 30 empty or loaded covered hopper cars of various lengths, and 30 loaded or empty boxcars of two different lengths.

So for this example train of 120 cars. Lets say it weighs 7900 tons and is 9000 feet (2.75KM) long.

I am traveling along at 50 MPH.

The "head end" of the train has passed the bottom of the grade and the train is still descending the grade. As about half of the train leaves the grade I am looking ahead at the next grade to climb directly ahead. I have been using dynamic brake and need to "transition" from braking to power. I move the lever into the idle position and begin waiting my 10 seconds. In my my mind, from experience, I know that I need to rapidly, but gently begin notching through my power notches without allowing my train to accelerate past 50 MPH which I am restricted to.

The very head of the train is traveling around a slight curvature in the track. I also need to see that the next signal is green "clear" so that I do not have to formulate an entire other plan as a reduction of speed might be required instead. I see that the signal is flashing yellow "advanced approach". This will mean a reduction of speed to 40 MPH and a possible stop short of the second signal ahead.

As I am thinking of what I am to do next and waiting for the 10 seconds to pass, the next crossing becomes visible and I see that there is a truck hauling a low slung trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it. He is blocking the crossing because his low slung trailer is stuck on the raised rail and crossing lumber that you drive across.

Without hesitation or further consideration, I slam the brake handle into the emergency position, dumping all the trainline air. I reach up and toggle the switch that ensures that the "End Of Train" device dumps from the rear as well. I bail off the locomotive air brakes because they are so powerful in a situation like this, that they can cause such a massive buff forces which will certainly derail a train. Additionally they can crumple or destroy the track beneath them.

While in earlier transition from dynamic braking to power "slack" had developed in the train. Slack is neither draft or buff, but more of a null position like rail cars standing in a yard not connected to a train. A developed space between cars where they are sort of relaxed.

As the air dumped from the train-line, the brake valves on each car sense this emergency and dump the full value of air contained within their emergency reservoir into the large cylinder that applies the brakes giving each car higher than usual stopping power.

Somewhere near the head end of the train a group of empty tank cars having such massive braking power begin to stop the train, but right behind them a group of heavy loaded hoppers presses against them, their own braking being less substantial. A tank car of Anhydrous Ammonia right between the groups which has been taking the brunt of these two opposing forces has a wheel that lifts off the rail as it is being pressed around a curve. This car, the car ahead of it, and nine of the loaded hopper cars behind it all leave the rail and head into a tiny quiet suburb in the middle of the night.

Half way back in the train where the most of the box cars are, they settle down for their stop. Still bunched because they were still descending the hill. The heavy loads of lumber fighting them as they come to a stop. Even though on straight track the, one end of an empty boxcar in the group begins to lift into the air. The opposing force of the heavy lumber cars and the stopping train ahead of it is too much. As it sets back down the wheels miss the track and begin to erase the track, all of the cars behind it having no track to ride on begin to take paths of their own in each direction.

Near the back of the train the auto-rack settle down hard. Harder than the group of heavy lumber cars ahead of them. This causes one of the long 500+ pound (230kg) draw-bars in the third auto-rack to be sheared from place. For a moment it tumbles through space, whistling though the wind in contact with only the air. Then it strikes a tie and the car passing above it in vaulted, only inches off of the rail, and a carload of new rangerovers tumbles end over end into a reservoir of drinking water.

The drawbar is angry, propelled by its last impact it drops onto the rail for a moment derailing a load of mini coopers, a load of corvettes, a load of ford diesel pickups, and a load of prius. The last of the autoracks ram into those derailed and the drawbar impales itself through the bottom of a boxcar piercing 20 cases of aged Glenfiddich.

Back on the locomotive, pressed forward by the loads behind, we cover the half mile to the stuck trailer in about 45 seconds. My conductor sees that the piece of equipment is a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer and screams like a woman as he jumps from his window at 35 mph. The fall from 15 feet in the air certainly would have killed him but instead he tumbled and struck feet first shattering his legs in 20 places and cartwheeling to his death as his head exploded when it struck the hard granite ballast some 20 times or so in the cartwheeling tumble. It takes 24 hours for them to find his body under crumpled boxcars.

I run out the back door to the second locomotive where I lay down in the cab. The impact at 35 mph is brutal. The second locomotive which I am on climbs under the front locomotive. The third locomotive does the same to mine. When the locomotive comes to a rest, is on its side, and both my arms are broken.

I drown, face down, in 200 gallons of brownish, blueish sewage from a chemical toilet long overdue for a cleaning. But my dignity is preserved because a fire from the combined 12,000 gallons (45.5 Kiloliters) of fuel burns for 3 days incinerating me and most of the locomotives completely.

The undocumented worker driving the truck with the wedged trailer disappears.

During the conductor's autopsy, trace amounts of THC from a brownie he consumed 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

It was also noted in the government report that the cellphone of an engineer on a different train following ours was "on" at the time of our impact, and this may have contributed to the wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The “undocumented truck driver” line is yikesaroo.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
poo poo I didn't remember that part. Holy hell

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dialhforhero posted:

The “undocumented truck driver” line is yikesaroo.

Especially because driving an 18wheeler loaded with an expensive piece of equipment is the least likely place to find an undocumented worker.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wu...9d-010559eb2e27

Looks like the truck won this round vs a bridge and sent a bunch of peeps to the hospital.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Undocumented workers do not exist and if they did they would never cause any accidents, now amend your hypothetical train story you loving RACIST

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Atticus_1354 posted:

Especially because driving an 18wheeler loaded with an expensive piece of equipment is the least likely place to find an undocumented worker.

I like how an undocumented worker also took a vacation to Amsterdam

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Legin Noslen posted:

Undocumented workers do not exist and if they did they would never cause any accidents, now amend your hypothetical train story you loving RACIST

Please link a source to the scourge of undocumented workers driving 18wheelers and causing accidents.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

You might reread that paragraph.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never really came from it with that angle because the undocumented driver is another victim of the circumstance but I can see how they might come across as a villain.

Editorial wise I don't think anything is lost if the truck driver is a good old boy waved off the site by a sheriff so maybe that's the safer angle to lock in a villain of the story.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

That was the conductor, who screamed like a WOMAN as he lept from the moving train to his death.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

drat cagers. :argh:

Sarcasm. Gotta point that out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought he just wasn't documented in the report.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Leon Sumbitches posted:

That was the conductor, who screamed like a WOMAN as he lept from the moving train to his death.

Ah, but you see, the conductor WAS a woman. She delivered the baby train from a rooster as it rolled down the left side of the roof and landed directly on the border between two countries.

Pfft, you and your assumptions.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The made up train story blows sorry y’all

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

am I correct in my analysis of this image that the car was not moving?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Memento posted:

Technically we're all moving around the sun at 30 km/sec

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

ethanol posted:

The made up train story blows sorry y’all

Actually my recollection is the stuff that poster wrote about trains seemed knowledgeable and interesting frankly. Now I could be wrong because I'm not knowledgeable. I think if he was bullshitting he would have been caught by now, I recall multiple posts.

Yes I see the racism and sexism. It's still interesting though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:hmmyes:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Memento posted:

Doesn't look like it going by the pole on the left side. I thought it was a video of someone just plowing headfirst into a bicycle race until I watched it again.

Using the wipers to clear cyclists off the windshield is a nice touch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Memento posted:

Correct but in large groups like that you can't see what's ahead of you until it's too late to stop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like it's a case of people seeing they could maybe go wide and pass some people until they go too wide and end up on a car.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The sun, and a few other astronomically large objects, such as your mom

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ks6ZrVZ.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The weird thing about this one is that at no point does it ever actually get less dangerous from a falling-to-your-death perspective but the first part is still more butt-clenching because of the additional risk of being domed by a falling boulder.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

The weird thing about this one is that at no point does it ever actually get less dangerous from a falling-to-your-death perspective but the first part is still more butt-clenching because of the additional risk of being domed by a falling boulder.

Boulders don't need to be directly above you to make today the last day of the rest of your life.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I kept waiting for them to smack into a stopped car coming the other way down the trail.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

I've never understood how these Nuclear tipped ABM's are supposed to work. Doesn't a nuke going off 'dazzle' radars in the area temporarily?

Once you're first ABM intercepts the first warhead and you've effectively blinded yourself, now what.

Nuclear tipped ABMs make sense if they're for endoatmospheric terminal phase intercept. Terminal phase is the point at which RVs have reentered the atmosphere and are going fast as gently caress. The window for terminal phase intercept is tiny and the targets are moving stupidly fast so having an ABM that doesn't need to be super-accurate makes sense. With a conventional warhead you'd need to be near spot-on but with a 10kt nuclear warhead you only need to get somewhat close. Also terminal phase is basically the last possible chance for intercept so things like causing radar blackouts aren't exactly a priority.

Terminal phase intercept ABMs also have pretty mind-boggling performance. The A-135 for instance accelerates at ~100G up to Mach 7 whilst the since-decommisioned US Sprint ABM accelerated to Mach 10 in like 10 seconds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I always liked the idea to just bury warheads around the missile silos, and if you were attacked set them off to kick up a huge shitload of debris that would ablate any inbounds.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/padresj/status/1407842784787111940

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

early parachute test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlZ9_GSSx9U

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Do consumer fireworks have a static combustion temperature reachable in our new hellscape world?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

:sweatdrop:: Y-you see this *pant* ...view?
:shudder:: *pant* W-w-what view? :cry:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

I hope they find it someday.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Do consumer fireworks have a static combustion temperature reachable in our new hellscape world?

Nah but higher heat usually means dryer conditions and higher wildfire danger

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

I always liked the idea to just bury warheads around the missile silos, and if you were attacked set them off to kick up a huge shitload of debris that would ablate any inbounds.

Ah, the Reactive Armor for ICBM silos, nice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like it's a case of people seeing they could maybe go wide and pass some people until they go too wide and end up on a car.

It's a bicycle crowd crush, they expected to take up the entire road and when they couldn't there was no room for the ones about to hit the car to steer away from it. Bicycles are incompressible

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

haveblue posted:

It's a bicycle crowd crush, they expected to take up the entire road and when they couldn't there was no room for the ones about to hit the car to steer away from it. Bicycles are incompressible

They compress pretty well when a bus is involved.

Lol, carbon fiber.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Holly crap, there’s a chance that guy is my great grandfather - my Nan said he tested parachutes after WW1, though I guess the RAF would have thought nothing of throwing dozens of men off cliffs like that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a compilation of Forkliftfuckling. I find him funny, but go ahead and mute it if you don't like the fella commenting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7fz6p2MDZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Loser posted:

Boulders don't need to be directly above you to make today the last day of the rest of your life.

It's ok anyway though, he's wearing a helmet!