Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

What I see all the time on EV forums is people that don't understand that regen isn't better than, or as good as, coasting.

Also people that think one pedal driving inherently means lots of regen which is good and cars that don't have one pedal driving but have blended braking systems don't have regen or don't have as much regen which is bad. E.g. I saw someone on an EV forum claiming that e-trons don't have any regen, like they literally don't regen at all.

Maybe from a purely quantitative, efficiency perspective, it might not be. But for driving feel, it is definitely preferred for some people. I think it comes down to whether you're used to having engine braking, like with a manual transmission, or used to near endless coasting on a torque converter autobox. I prefer the feel of engine braking (I prefer aggressive engine braking, actually), so I would find an EV which slows down when I lift off the accelerator "better" feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

What I see all the time on EV forums is people that don't understand that regen isn't better than, or as good as, coasting.

Also people that think one pedal driving inherently means lots of regen which is good and cars that don't have one pedal driving but have blended braking systems don't have regen or don't have as much regen which is bad. E.g. I saw someone on an EV forum claiming that e-trons don't have any regen, like they literally don't regen at all.

Sure coasting is better than regen from an efficiency standpoint, but just lmao if you think anybody is coasting to all their stops in the name of efficiency.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Regen braking rules.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe from a purely quantitative, efficiency perspective, it might not be. But for driving feel, it is definitely preferred for some people. I think it comes down to whether you're used to having engine braking, like with a manual transmission, or used to near endless coasting on a torque converter autobox. I prefer the feel of engine braking (I prefer aggressive engine braking, actually), so I would find an EV which slows down when I lift off the accelerator "better" feeling.

Engine breaking is one of the best things about a manual transmission, and something I definitely miss when I rent an automatic. One-pedal driving is amazing, every EV/hybrid should have it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I saw a picture some time back where a guy mounted a pulley and belt to the rear wheel of a Prius to drive an alternator and thought he was a genius.

edit: sorry, it was a Bolt, which make more (less) sense:

(sorry about the Reddit image.)

There's also that filler neck or whatever it is running down the middle of the back bumper which makes it even more confusing.

Some people have hypothesized it's some homebrew range extender setup and that's actually a motor with a generator packed somewhere back there too.

Others think it's a manufacturer test mule and that's just some wheel rotation measuring setup, but the OP in the reddit thread posted the unedited version and it has what look to be normal New York plates rather than the Michigan Manufacturer plates you'd expect on a GM mule.

Another possibility is that the owner flat tows the vehicle behind a RV and rigged this up to keep the 12v system from running flat while the car is being towed.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the US, it's 220-240v two-phase power to residential breakers, which gets split into two, one-phase 110-120v streams. Some high power items recombine both phases again with a "dual pull" breaker back into 220-240v.

Many apartment buildings, and pretty much all industrial sites get 3 phase, 208v power which gets split into 120v single phase or 208v two-phase (because of GEOMETRY!) for the individual residents.

Really, the underlying backbone for our power infrastructure is really similar with the EU/UK. It's just past the breaker box that things vary.

The US is not two phase, it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

The transformer outside your house delivers 3-wire 240V single phase to your house. The 120V circuits are called 'Legs' and are typically labeled L1 and L2.

Same goes for when 3-phase is distributed to apartments. The apartment receives 3-wire 240V single phase.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 23, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think you read that information correctly.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

AFAIK, those 208V three phase apartment buildings have apartments with 120V/208V in them, and their high-voltage appliances have a tiny bit less power going into them than if they were plugged into 240V.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Indiana_Krom posted:

The scary thing is I have heard this and other perpetual motion ideas in real life more than a few times asked or presented seriously.
I was talking with someone about my EV and he said "Why do you have to charge it so often? Can't they put a way to capture electric energy from the crankshaft?"

After I explained how there is no crankshaft, I told him about regenerative braking and that satisfied his curiosity.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My favorite question I've gotten so far is, 'does the "Dual Motor" badge on your car mean it has a gas engine as well as an electric motor?'

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the real dual motor

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My favorite question I've gotten so far is, 'does the "Dual Motor" badge on your car mean it has a gas engine as well as an electric motor?'

Considering this is how (plug-in) hybrids work, seems like a fair question.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I was talking with someone about my EV and he said "Why do you have to charge it so often? Can't they put a way to capture electric energy from the crankshaft?"

After I explained how there is no crankshaft, I told him about regenerative braking and that satisfied his curiosity.

My first thought was that I'd try to steer them to talking about what a Hybrid is, and maybe toss in "the energy has to come from somewhere: you can store in gasoline or batteries, and the rest is just machinery to turn that into motion". It's probably not a better explanation than what you gave, it's just the first place I go.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

the real dual motor

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Considering this is how (plug-in) hybrids work, seems like a fair question.

By this standard the RAV4 Prime is quad motor!

(2 electric motors + gas engine up front, 1 electric motor in the back for AWD)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Don't forget about the air conditioner, windshield spritzer, windows, and rear view mirrors

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Robot posted:

Yeah, why not. Don't see why that would make less sense than Tesla's "dual motor" designation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Why not list more components on the back?

QUAD WHEEL
DUAL SUN SHADE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a bunch of cars carried "5 speed" badges back in the day when having a 5 speed transmission was dope af

porsche should put a "2 speed" badge on the taycan

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

the real dual motor

The real real dual motor:

https://buy.motorious.com/articles/features/316288/this-citroen-2cv-that-challenged-land-rover

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Pro click. Thanks for that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Beffer posted:

I only know about this because my older brother hitchhiked in North Africa decades ago and told me about this oddity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beffer posted:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a bunch of cars carried "5 speed" badges back in the day when having a 5 speed transmission was dope af

porsche should put a "2 speed" badge on the taycan

TwinCam!

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Coasting only beats regen if you don't need to press on the brake pedal. When you need to brake, regen clearly beats coasting. With regen, you are converting X percent of your kinetic energy into fuel when slowing down. Without regen, you are converting 0% of your kinetic energy into fuel when slowing down. I guess in theory if you could time your coasting perfectly so that you stopped exactly where you needed to without braking, it would be more efficient to coast, but that's not realistic 99% of the time.

So if you're cruising down the freeway with cruise control set at 80, regen won't really help you since you're not slowing down much. But if you're driving through a city with lots of stop lights, regen will improve your efficiency tremendously.

Seph fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 24, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
You're kinda missing the point. There's a lot of EV evangelists who have a very narrow definition of what an EV should be. In this case, regen is good, but only when it's replacing braking. The dumbs will say that the only way this should be done is "one pedal driving" because having to use the brake pedal is somehow not EV-appropriate. This ignores the fact that at least in the US, the vast majority of people drive automatic cars and expect their car to coast when they're not touching anything and not go full on engine braking, and blended braking still can give all the regen without shaking up the user's driving experience. Whether this is a good thing or not :iiam:

Doesn't make much of a difference to me

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

You're kinda missing the point. There's a lot of EV evangelists who have a very narrow definition of what an EV should be. In this case, regen is good, but only when it's replacing braking. The dumbs will say that the only way this should be done is "one pedal driving" because having to use the brake pedal is somehow not EV-appropriate. This ignores the fact that at least in the US, the vast majority of people drive automatic cars and expect their car to coast when they're not touching anything and not go full on engine braking, and blended braking still can give all the regen without shaking up the user's driving experience. Whether this is a good thing or not :iiam:

I know a guy who was just about to buy a Model Y, but disliked the Regen "coast" on his test drive so much he bought a Mach-E instead.

So, yeah, it's an important thing for some folks, and I don't get why Tesla apparently removed the option for it.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, I guess if your definition of coasting includes regen-assisted braking, then it'll be more efficient than having regen on the gas pedal. I was thinking more like pure coasting with no regen at all. Ideally it will be an option in most cars since I much prefer one-pedal driving, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Most US drivers don't know you can coast. If they aren't pressing they go pedal then are hitting the brakes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrLogan posted:

TwinCam!

hell yeah that's a good one

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Seph posted:

Coasting only beats regen if you don't need to press on the brake pedal. When you need to brake, regen clearly beats coasting.

This doesn’t even make sense.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Seph posted:

Yeah, I guess if your definition of coasting includes regen-assisted braking, then it'll be more efficient than having regen on the gas pedal. I was thinking more like pure coasting with no regen at all. Ideally it will be an option in most cars since I much prefer one-pedal driving, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

No one is suggesting that someone should make an EV without regen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
One simple trick to defeat physics.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yes, when you need to brake, regen is clearly superior to coasting (i.e. running into things). Luckily in this case we can have our cake and eat it too in that we can regen when appropriate, and coast when appropriate.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

This doesn’t even make sense.

You said coasting was more efficient than regen, which is only true in one specific circumstance (coasting to a complete stop) that's not very common in real life. That's what I was responding to, assuming you meant no regen at all, otherwise your post doesn't make any sense. I agree that having regen-assisted braking is a practical way to have both the efficiency of coasting and regen combined into one package.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Seph posted:

You said coasting was more efficient than regen, which is only true in one specific circumstance (coasting to a complete stop) that's not very common in real life. That's what I was responding to, assuming you meant no regen at all, otherwise your post doesn't make any sense. I agree that having regen-assisted braking is a practical way to have both the efficiency of coasting and regen combined into one package.

Have you ever driven before? There are tons of situations where you coast. The car in front of you is slowing down slightly, you're approaching a yellow or red light and can coast most of the distance before breaking near the light, the downslope of a hill are just a few that immediately come up mind.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Seph posted:

That’s not the only scenario where coasting is more efficient than regen. If you ever slow down more than necessary and have to speed back up again then you’ve wasted more energy than if you coasted and maintained speed.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Have you ever driven before? There are tons of situations where you coast. The car in front of you is slowing down slightly, you're approaching a yellow or red light and can coast most of the distance before breaking near the light, the downslope of a hill are just a few that immediately come up mind.

Yes, those situations exist, but slowing down a few mph for the car in front of you isn't going to have any meaningful impact on your efficiency whether it's regen or braking or coasting. What has the biggest impact on your efficiency is slowing down significantly from speed.

The only semi-common occurrence of this would be having a long open road in front of you with a red light, where you can accurately gauge how much distance you will need to stop by coasting. If you're driving in traffic where people move unpredictably, or there is a short distance between lights, then it becomes very difficult to coast longer than a second or two without having to brake. I will concede that this is based on driving in Southern California, it's probably much different if you live in the middle of nowhere with huge open roads and no traffic.

Seph fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 24, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Seph posted:

You said coasting was more efficient than regen, which is only true in one specific circumstance (coasting to a complete stop)

This is not true. You need to think about this a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Seph posted:

Yes, those situations exist, but slowing down a few mph for the car in front of you isn't going to have any meaningful impact on your efficiency whether it's regen or braking or coasting. What has the biggest impact on your efficiency is slowing down significantly from speed.

The only semi-common occurrence of this would be having a long open road in front of you with a red light, where you can accurately gauge how much distance you will need to stop by coasting. If you're driving in traffic where people move unpredictably, or there is a short distance between lights, then it becomes very difficult to coast longer than a second or two without having to brake. I will concede that this is based on driving in Southern California, it's probably much different if you live in the middle of nowhere with huge open roads and no traffic.

If there is a stop sign 200 feet ahead and you can either coast to a stop from 200 feet out or use one pedal to regen brake from 50 feet out which do you think is more efficient?