Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sebmojo posted:

To be clear there is absolutely nothing metaphorical about the title. A literal star gets whipped, with a whip.

ungh get in my uranus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I read and loved all of Heinlein until I got to the self-insert, by name, of him and his wife in Number Of The Beast. Like "we're going to use our multidimensional travel abilities to go get Bob and Virginia Heinlein and treat them to a fuckfest! Wow Bob you're so ~talented~". At that point I checked out, I still haven't read 4 or 5 of his books. That's not even a Mary Sue where the nubile female protagonist is wowed by "a" balding science fiction writer, he literally put himself by name in his book.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

I read and loved all of Heinlein until I got to the self-insert, by name, of him and his wife in Number Of The Beast. Like "we're going to use our multidimensional travel abilities to go get Bob and Virginia Heinlein and treat them to a fuckfest! Wow Bob you're so ~talented~". At that point I checked out, I still haven't read 4 or 5 of his books. That's not even a Mary Sue where the nubile female protagonist is wowed by "a" balding science fiction writer, he literally put himself by name in his book.
Did you miss the part where the antagonist is an anagram for Heinlein own name, or at least one of the aliases he published under?
Or the part where he locks literary critics in until they can write a truthful and honest review, because he got tired of lazy work that passed (and still sometimes passes) for literary criticism?
Or the part where the it's obviously making fun of the heroes journey or the way in which authors, including Heinlein, will often do self-insert and make one-dimentional characters, or use the Heroes Journey?

He's poking fun at every dumb trope that both he and every other writer used, it's meta-humor that far pre-dates tvtropes and similar sites, and it was pretty brilliant for its time.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 22, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rappaport posted:

No love for Anubis Gates?

Here! Here!

It's easily the best of this bunch. For those who don’t know it, it has
- werewolves!
- creepy clowns! well, one creepy clown
- magicians!
- time travel!
- body swapping!
- Egyptian gods!
- Muhammad Ali! the Egyptian one, not the boxer
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge!

Have fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The name of the beast is terrible

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Did you miss the part where the antagonist is an anagram for Heinlein own name, or at least one of the aliases he published under?
Or the part where he locks literary critics in until they can write a truthful and honest review, because he got tired of lazy work that passed (and still sometimes passes) for literary criticism?
Or the part where the it's obviously making fun of the heroes journey or the way in which authors, including Heinlein, will often do self-insert and make one-dimentional characters, or use the Heroes Journey?

He's poking fun at every dumb trope that both he and every other writer used, it's meta-humor that far pre-dates tvtropes and similar sites, and it was pretty brilliant for its time.

To quote The Filthy Critic from like twenty years ago, if you wink and giggle while you take a poo poo on my chest it may be clear it's a joke but I still have poo poo on my chest.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What author was it that used the name of a critic for a pediophile villain?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

Here! Here!

It's easily the best of this bunch. For those who don’t know it, it has
- werewolves!
- creepy clowns! well, one creepy clown
- magicians!
- time travel!
- body swapping!
- Egyptian gods!
- Muhammad Ali! the Egyptian one, not the boxer
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge!

Have fun.

It is a very, very creepy clown.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Notahippie posted:

To quote The Filthy Critic from like twenty years ago, if you wink and giggle while you take a poo poo on my chest it may be clear it's a joke but I still have poo poo on my chest.

This is amazing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Michael Chrichton

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Crichton. The criticism was about State of Fear, the pedo version was in Next

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Notahippie posted:

That's a loving great line :allears:

I do think, however, that Matt Weatherford might not be one of the bad critics, especially considering that the entire gimmick of The Filthy Critic was that it is somewhat-fictional in its own right, and includes lots of self-deprecating humor which is what Heinlein was going for with TNOTB.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Johnny Aztec posted:

Steven King I think?

Also lol at the unironic praise of loving Heinlein lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Watched episode one of Scifi Children of Dune which is just Messiah with a couple of things changed up to have some connective tissue with CoD. P good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Talkin bout Sci Fi authors Arthur C Clarke was my fav when I was younger (and still is a fav) but there is a lot of gay coded stuff that whooshed right over my head!

Especially my favourite of his, Songs of Distant Earth, which owns. Well I guess that one didn’t whoosh over my head as it is pretty explicit that one of the main characters is loving everyone, male and female.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Steven King I think?

Who knows

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

I mostly enjoy Heinlein but it is definely in spite of the incest, not because of it

His brand of libertarianism is also unrecognizable by modern terms with full UBI and other safety nets

IIRC Heinlein's politics are all over the place if you judge it by his whole body of work at once.

That said, does bring to mind that the old style of libertarians seemed to actually understand material conditions to a degree, while modern ones think the world is literally like Minecraft.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I mean if I was a white middle-class man in the US in the 50's I would probably be a libertarian too

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Johnny Aztec posted:

This thread moves into talking about other sci-fi occasionally. so that's my justification for posting my recent haul from Goodwill

I am mostly excited for the 2 issues of Analog!

Wait, is that a novelization of the movie Johnny Mnemonic?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Moose-Alini posted:

Iirc it was a William Gibson short story first, I think it even predated Neuromancer

E: now that I think about it pretty sure Molly obliquely refers to it in Neuromancer

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Moose-Alini posted:

I have a novelization of Total Recall, that further explores the aliens that built the structures on Mars.

I have seen several comments around here, over the years, that the novelization of Star Wars: Episode 3 is surprisingly good.

Johnny Mnemonic has a 320GB data capacity wet-wired into his brain.

....are there any Johnny Mnemonic references in Cyberpunk? Because....I will be disappointed if there isn't.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah Keanu Reeves appears in It, he's a living reference to Johnny Mnemonic

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

StashAugustine posted:

Iirc it was a William Gibson short story first, I think it even predated Neuromancer

E: now that I think about it pretty sure Molly obliquely refers to it in Neuromancer

Yeah Molly is in JM under a different name

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have a novelization of Total Recall, that further explores the aliens that built the structures on Mars.

I have seen several comments around here, over the years, that the novelization of Star Wars: Episode 3 is surprisingly good.

Johnny Mnemonic has a 320GB data capacity wet-wired into his brain.

....are there any Johnny Mnemonic references in Cyberpunk? Because....I will be disappointed if there isn't.

Isn't Total Recall already an adaptation of a PKD short story?

And yeah the ROTS novelization is by Matt Stover and he does a way better job with the material than the movie did. Shatterpoint is also pretty good

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

StashAugustine posted:

Isn't Total Recall already an adaptation of a PKD short story?

And yeah the ROTS novelization is by Matt Stover and he does a way better job with the material than the movie did. Shatterpoint is also pretty good

I think the PKD story is "We'll remember it for you, WHOLESALE!" and while I've not read it, I imagine it just takes basic elements from it.

The Total Recall book isn't terrible. It expands on alot of little things in the movie, and expands on some of the big things.

It is also only loosely based on the movie itself, and changes things up. Like, the whole bit where Melina and Quaid get captured, and tries to mind wipe them into being other people is gone, as in other things.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There's a bit of a derail in the Toronto LAN thread about DUNE (as usual, my fault :smuggo:) that got me thinking about the Weirding Way. It's really sloppily executed in the Lynch film(and I don't care to remember how the miniseries did it), but I can't remember if its role in the book is any more elegant. So it's essentially a Bene Gesserit martial art, right? Paul teaches it to the Fremen and it becomes an integral part of their success in jihad? How come they didn't know about it already, since they seem to have an intimate relationship with the BG (Sayaddinas basically becoming Reverend Mothers, and the BG off of Arrakis likewise presumably requiring the Water of Life for their own rituals)? Was Paul even supposed to know about it or did Jessica secretly train him?

I want to reiterate something I said in the LAN thread about the Lynch film: The addition of 'weirding modules' and the sort of folding together of the Weirding Way and the Voice as a weapon was silly as gently caress but it's one of my favourite details, as someone fascinated by the science of acoustics. Denis won't do it, but I think it'd be really cool to see these scalable amplifiers wreaking havoc on Sardaukar and Harkonnen troops; from little handheld LRADs boiling their blood, to enormous line arrays mounted to sandworms simply turning them to dust. Weaponized sound is cool.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mister Speaker posted:

Weaponized sound is cool.

Then you'll be excited to know that such things are already being used! Just look at the Portland protests last year.
Actually, I don't recall if it was Portland or one of the other cities that had protests, but one of them had sound cannons that fire a focused " beam" of certain frequency sound that can really gently caress you up!

Weaponized Sound is real, and exists and is already in the hands of our militarized police forces.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
In the books it's a kind of martial art style and (arguably more importantly) the training regimen associated with it. It's basically going "what if our knowledge of medicine and physiology continued to develop at the same pace for the next ten thousand years" and then dedicating all of that to being incredible badasses. They have all sorts of weird exercises like spending all day trying to flex a single muscle in your finger to teach you absolute control over your body.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
The original Gibson short story is a real cracker and one of his best, highly recommended. Molly is in it, they changed the character for the movie because they assumed a Neuromancer movie was in the cards. If you think Dune has had a torturous journey to the screen (twice), Neuromancer is right up there as one of the great novels that just can't quite ever leave production hell.

Oh, and as someone who was obsessed with Arthur C Clarke as a young nerd, I hate to break it to you that in life he was apparently a pedophile monster.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Johnny Aztec posted:

Then you'll be excited to know that such things are already being used! Just look at the Portland protests last year.
Actually, I don't recall if it was Portland or one of the other cities that had protests, but one of them had sound cannons that fire a focused " beam" of certain frequency sound that can really gently caress you up!

Weaponized Sound is real, and exists and is already in the hands of our militarized police forces.

No need to go all Captain Buzzkill here, I used the term LRAD, I know what they are - in fact they were almost deployed on me at the G20 in 2010.

The idea of weaponized sound is cool, is obviously what I meant, not it being used to maim activists. The wide range of sound pressure waves, how they intimately relate to explosives (because they're the same thing), and the simple devastation that can result from a pressure gradient, is fascinating. In another example, if you could find the resonant frequency of a given thing, with enough amplification you could literally shake anything to pieces. Active SONAR may as well be a weapon as well (and has been sort of used as one before).

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In the books it's a kind of martial art style and (arguably more importantly) the training regimen associated with it. It's basically going "what if our knowledge of medicine and physiology continued to develop at the same pace for the next ten thousand years" and then dedicating all of that to being incredible badasses. They have all sorts of weird exercises like spending all day trying to flex a single muscle in your finger to teach you absolute control over your body.

Right, yeah, referring to it as a "martial art" I knew was a bit reductive. What I'm curious about is why it's previously unknown to the Fremen - if it's a big witchy secret, how and why does Paul end up teaching it to them? Is it even that important to their successful holy war?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 24, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I really want someone to do Neuromancer as just a 100% period piece where all the technology just looks straight out of the 80s

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Speaker posted:

There's a bit of a derail in the Toronto LAN thread about DUNE (as usual, my fault :smuggo:) that got me thinking about the Weirding Way. It's really sloppily executed in the Lynch film(and I don't care to remember how the miniseries did it), but I can't remember if its role in the book is any more elegant. So it's essentially a Bene Gesserit martial art, right? Paul teaches it to the Fremen and it becomes an integral part of their success in jihad? How come they didn't know about it already, since they seem to have an intimate relationship with the BG (Sayaddinas basically becoming Reverend Mothers, and the BG off of Arrakis likewise presumably requiring the Water of Life for their own rituals)? Was Paul even supposed to know about it or did Jessica secretly train him?

I want to reiterate something I said in the LAN thread about the Lynch film: The addition of 'weirding modules' and the sort of folding together of the Weirding Way and the Voice as a weapon was silly as gently caress but it's one of my favourite details, as someone fascinated by the science of acoustics. Denis won't do it, but I think it'd be really cool to see these scalable amplifiers wreaking havoc on Sardaukar and Harkonnen troops; from little handheld LRADs boiling their blood, to enormous line arrays mounted to sandworms simply turning them to dust. Weaponized sound is cool.

The Fremen Sayyadinas/Reverend Mothers aren’t BG. They’re related to them and share some of their qualities (like some titulature, and the spice agony ritual with its ancestral memory), but they’re not proper members of the order. They’re a female priesthood engineered by the BG Missionaria Protectiva so that if one of them ever finds herself in trouble on Dune they can slot right in to a position of power in Fremen society. The Fremen religious culture is at least partly based on self-serving bullshit the BGs made up, like “one day there will come among you a foreign wise woman whose son is the messiah”. So they don’t know everything the proper BGs know. Indeed, the word “weirding” is a Fremen term applied to offworld, uncanny knowledge like the garden room in the palace at Arrakeen, or how Jessica can kick Stilgar’s rear end. It’s not something the BGs themselves talk about in this way: they would talk about prana-bindu training and poo poo like that instead.

Jessica is training Paul in BG methods without the approval of her superiors, but when Mohiam finds out at the start of the book she’s like “yeah I’d have done that too, you should teach him the Voice whatever the rules say.”

I like Lynch Dune’s goofy speech guns too. It’s totally against the text, but it fits with it as well.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, yeah, referring to it as a "martial art" I knew was a bit reductive. What I'm curious about is why it's previously unknown to the Fremen - if it's a big witchy secret, how and why does Paul end up teaching it to them? Is it even that important to their successful holy war?

I don't think the wild reverend mothers necessarily implies a very close connection to the mainstream Bene Gesserit; the way Jessica describes them makes them sound like a very tenuous offshoot. And the Fremen clearly have a general idea that BG are very skilled in combat since Stilgar calls it "the weirding way" when they first meet, IIRC. They just don't know the actual details of how to do it, since it's a very closely kept secret by the BG.

Paul and Jessica teach it to them initially because that's part of the deal they make for being taken in by the tribe. It's also a force multiplier for Fremen troops; take people trained by nature and their environment to be stupendous badasses, add in scientifically optimized training that makes people stupendous badasses, and you get some kind of compound badass-squared that can kung-fu entire planets to death.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

There's a bit of a derail in the Toronto LAN thread about DUNE (as usual, my fault :smuggo:) that got me thinking about the Weirding Way. It's really sloppily executed in the Lynch film(and I don't care to remember how the miniseries did it)

For those who do, or might, care, in the miniseries it's kind of like having Matrix-level martial arts skill, except instead of being shot for slo-mo it's shown as moving fast like a blur.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
All of that makes a lot of sense, yeah. Thanks guys for the breakdown.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

As to demonstrations of the prana-bindu training surfacing in combat: Paul kills the Harkonnen guard that was supposed to dump them in the desert with a single kick. Jessica can put Stilgar in a deadly chokehold when he had a knife and she was unarmed. Alia, born a Reverend Mother, knowing and doing the exercises since birth, can fight the training dummy at a higher difficulty than any other human alive.

It's not a technique or specific art so much as it is a total mastery/awareness of your own body and extremely keen observation of your opponent(s), such that most fights are simply finished in the most efficient way possible.

The Fremen are already good fighters because of how harsh their environment/society is, and how often they are hunted. Paul and Jessica teach them BG prana-bindu exercises that make them stronger, faster, more aware, and especially much more deadly unarmed, which is important when they go in to the cities and villages.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mister Speaker posted:

There's a Jasper Fforde book "early riser" set in a world where humans hibernate; as a minor plot point, instead of gunpowder, all weapons are based on sound waves, from handheld Thumpers up to vortex cannons. Makes for interesting tactics in gunfights, while an essential part of any murder investigation is consulting the local barometer records...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

As to demonstrations of the prana-bindu training surfacing in combat: Paul kills the Harkonnen guard that was supposed to dump them in the desert with a single kick. Jessica can put Stilgar in a deadly chokehold when he had a knife and she was unarmed. Alia, born a Reverend Mother, knowing and doing the exercises since birth, can fight the training dummy at a higher difficulty than any other human alive.

It's not a technique or specific art so much as it is a total mastery/awareness of your own body and extremely keen observation of your opponent(s), such that most fights are simply finished in the most efficient way possible.

The Fremen are already good fighters because of how harsh their environment/society is, and how often they are hunted. Paul and Jessica teach them BG prana-bindu exercises that make them stronger, faster, more aware, and especially much more deadly unarmed, which is important when they go in to the cities and villages.

Put this way and it sounds very Fist of the North Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You are already DEAF