Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

When I download software, I am sometimes prompted confirming I do not live in Syria, Iran, DR Congo, North Korea etc. and cannot use the software if I do. How can Twitter provide services to the Iranian government if they are sanctioned?

My guess would be that certain companies have access to federal grants or other US or International resources and that part of that agreement is that they do not allow the software to go to the Bad Places, and the only thing they need to do for compliance is put that check box in their TOS.

Companies not utilizing similar state resources would not have the same distribution limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
So has anyone been taken to court because they signed the "I will not boycott israel" box on a government form and then boycotted Israel?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Atticus_1354 posted:

So has anyone been taken to court because they signed the "I will not boycott israel" box on a government form and then boycotted Israel?
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/25/judge-blocks-texas-law-banning-contractors-boycotting-israel/
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/05/09/Texas-anti-boycott-israel-law-greg-abbott-hb793/

the laws are unconstitutional. they know they are unconstitutional. they rely on you wanting the business more than carrying about the I/P conflict, plus if you do then boycott israel and sue them they'll just blacklist you

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

EwokEntourage posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/25/judge-blocks-texas-law-banning-contractors-boycotting-israel/
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/05/09/Texas-anti-boycott-israel-law-greg-abbott-hb793/

the laws are unconstitutional. they know they are unconstitutional. they rely on you wanting the business more than carrying about the I/P conflict, plus if you do then boycott israel and sue them they'll just blacklist you

Thanks. I've always wondered about that when I see it on a form.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have a question that might be hard to answer without a lot of details, but here we go anyway;

A person a know had a relative that died and left an estate worth like 1.5 to 2m dollars, this includes lots of investments and an LLC which really just owns and rents out some farmland. This person is the sole beneficiary of that estate. How long would something like this take to get resolved and to have the assets transfer to the beneficiary? This is in Idaho.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
that person in idaho needs to make sure the estate has a probate attorney licensed in idaho to make sure veerything happens as quickly as it can.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

that person in idaho needs to make sure the estate has a probate attorney licensed in idaho to make sure veerything happens as quickly as it can.

I think that might be the problem. To be clear I am not that person, but this process has been ongoing for like a year almost and it just seems crazy to me it has taken this long. I can't help but think they are getting strung along by their attorney. They also don't seem very eager to get the money which is also pretty ????? inducing to me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A year doesn't seem unreasonable tbh. If it were actually simple (someone is renting an apartment, has one bank account, owns one car) then yeah, a year would be crazy. But someone with actual assets? Can take way longer than that.

I knew a friend who died with some timber land up in Oregon and I think it took his son like six years to finish getting things sorted even though the land wasn't all that valuable. The son had to get court approval, file some tax forms, wait for more court approval, get deeds issued/reissued, try to find a buyer for the land up there, sell the land, get tax forms for that, close the estate, blah blah blah blah and it just took forever.

If your friend is worried about how long it's taking, have him call another probate lawyer in Idaho to ask a quick consult about the length of time to see if it's reasonable. If your friend isn't worried...then who cares?

The lawyer could only really be taking him for a ride if the lawyer's billing tons of time working on the case in the interim, but then your friend would have actual bills with time entries to figure out what the lawyer is or is not doing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CongoJack posted:

I think that might be the problem. To be clear I am not that person, but this process has been ongoing for like a year almost and it just seems crazy to me it has taken this long. I can't help but think they are getting strung along by their attorney. They also don't seem very eager to get the money which is also pretty ????? inducing to me.

My grandmothers estate took the better part of 4 years to settle.
You can filter by my posts in this thread for a rough timeline.

Turns out most of it was the executor/my uncle hiding his early onset dementia and not doing anything. Once he had a psychotic break and was picked up 3 states over naked and confused, we got a new executor.

Once we got a executor with a functional brain it took about another 18 months for everything to get settled.

edit:
Grandma died in 2014

First post:
May 9, 2016 21:35

I got a check:
Dec 27, 2018 11:23

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 18, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CongoJack posted:

seems like a key question is are they trying to get the assets, or are they trying to have the executor liquidate the assets so they can get cash? because i assume the former is a lot quicker than the latter.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Had an estate with a simple property transfer go for two years, until my case worker at the deeds registry just went "you know what this has been through three different case workers and we're down to 1/256th of a fragmented title, I'm just gonna stamp this and please go away"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In Texas, a single beneficiary estate takes 3 - 6 months to do, if the executor is local, and gets their inventory and everything done on time.

But like, if the estate has to sell off a bunch of property and wind up an LLC it can take much longer, pursuant to the creation of a trust or something.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In other words

Maybe?!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Thanks for all of your responses! I'm pretty stupid about a lot of things so I assumed that without something like someone contesting the will it would be pretty fast. There's just a lot to consider I guess but also

Arcturas posted:

If your friend isn't worried...then who cares?

is actually what I need to remember. I just don't want to see them get taken advantage of.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also if this wasn't a single owner LLC the agreement may have included fairly complex provisions regarding what happens with shares when an owner dies. Rarely are LLCs structured where an beneficiary just gets the shares outright, usually stuff triggers on death of an owner and there is some division of rights between the beneficiary and surviving owners or a buyout that needs to be negotiated or whatever that actually takes time and has moving parts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CongoJack posted:

I have a question that might be hard to answer without a lot of details, but here we go anyway;

A person a know had a relative that died and left an estate worth like 1.5 to 2m dollars, this includes lots of investments and an LLC which really just owns and rents out some farmland. This person is the sole beneficiary of that estate. How long would something like this take to get resolved and to have the assets transfer to the beneficiary? This is in Idaho.

In PA you may get some early disbursements but the receipt of any disbursement before an estate is closed and approved by a judge will always have a risk of needing to be paid back of the estate needs the money at some later time.

In Pa and estate like that wouldn’t take too long to close . Maybe just 2 years or 3 years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So a beneficiary may get some money a few months after death , but the full amount won’t be paid out and clear until the estate is closed, taxes paid, debt cleared etc

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have a somewhat convoluted purchasing law situation that I'm only slightly worried about but I figured I'd ask to make sure.

Two months ago I purchased a gun on Gunbroker (essentially eBay for guns). I paid the same day the auction ended with my debit card. To purchase a gun across state lines you normally need to have the gun shipped to a Federal Firearms License holder in your state who then runs a background check and transfers the gun to you, the purchaser. The FFL will typically charge a fee for providing this service. However I hold a special subtype of FFL for collectors that allows me to collect Curio & Relic guns and allows me to have them shipped directly to my address without going through an FFL as normal (no transfer fee!). Any gun that is 50 or more years old automatically qualifies for C&R status. The gun I purchased is unambiguously marked as being manufactured in 1923. So it without a doubt qualifies.

The auction said they shipped qualifying C&R items to license holders so I figured I was good to go. I sent my license and didn't hear back from them for 11-12 days. Finally I got in touch with them and they said the person in charge decided they would not ship this gun C&R but didn't tell the person Italked to why. They were also not available to talk to explain why that decision was made. I played phone tag with them for probably a week before the lady I talked to rather rudely said the decision was final and the person who made it would *never* speak to me to discuss why they would not ship C&R. I said OK fine this is not worth the hassle just give me a refund then. She tells me that they will only refund 90% of the purchase price and none of the tax because that is their policy and at that point I just hung up on her. A couple days later I talked to my bank, explained the situation, and initiated a chargeback. Money was put back in my account a few days after that and I considered the matter over. They were not going to ship to me, I had my money back, and presumably they were notified by their card processor that a chargeback had been initiated and they had 90 days to dispute it. They never shipped the item I purchased so I can't see how they could successfully dispute it. They did send me a form email (always the same text) about once a week asking for me to have my FFL send a copy of his license to them so they could ship it to him but I never responded to these and I figured they'd pull their head out of their rear end eventually and relist the gun to sell to someone else. Besides the generic FFL reminder emails I received zero contact from them and didn't see a need to respond to their reminders for a gun that I had been refunded for.

Fast forward a little over a month to this morning when the loving gun shows up in the mail, directly to my house, shipped as a C&R item! What the hell.

So my question is, assuming they don't end up disputing the chargeback and winning somehow, having shipped the item well after I had received a refund from my bank, am I entitled to keep the gun as unrequested merchandise? I'm fairly certain I'm ok from a firearms law perspective as the transfer should have been perfectly fine in the first place. I'm not like, committing fraud or something by not contacting my bank to cancel the chargeback or the seller to give them the gun back? I in no way did anything to trick them or encourage them to send me the gun after asking for a refund and then initiating the chargeback. They appear to have just randomly changed their mind a month later and sent me the gun unprompted after adamantly refusing to ship it that way every time I talked to them previously.

Ethically I don't give a poo poo if they lose money, if they're so incompetent they're sending out free merchandise then they deserve it. These people were huge assholes.

I realize the fact that it's a gun kind of muddies the waters so if it helps pretend that I ordered some expensive shoes, they refused to ship to my address and wouldn't explain why, I did a chargeback and received a refund from my bank, and then a month later they decided to ship me the shoes anyway. Am I legally OK to keep my mouth shut and keep the shoes?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Not a lawyer, but no part of that story muddies the waters in the slightest.

This is very much requested merchandise. You asked for the item, and you received the item, but you haven't paid for it (on account of the chargeback). No court in the US is going to let you slide. You could try to wiggle around it that you asked for a refund or made the chargeback, but in any of those cases you owe them the gun back.

Notify your bank that the vendor finally shipped it to you. They should be able to fix it. Chances are they disputed the chargeback after they shipped the gun, but your bank would look favorably on you if you let them know you finally received the item (hint: banks don't like customers who file invalid chargebacks).

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I'm not a lawyer. The fact that it's a gun may or may not make any difference as such, but if these guys are collectively as much of a jerk as you suspect, you might want to contact one to dot your I's and cross your T's. You'd hate for them to call the feds and say "this guy stole our gun", which would probably be more of a potentially dangerous pain than "this guy stole our shoes".

e: ^yeah, or just pay for it and save yourself the hassle.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I am a lawyer and I will not give you specific advice.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If I mail someone a gun 30 years after they received a refund, how long should I wait before I send my demand letter for the original purchase price. Followup question, can I make them pay me in bitcoin

If you say the word "laches" I'm not hiring you

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Devor posted:

If I mail someone a gun 30 years after they received a refund, how long should I wait before I send my demand letter for the original purchase price. Followup question, can I make them pay me in bitcoin

He hasn't received a refund. His bank has given him a credit in the same amount as a courtesy to their customer. The bank will absolutely take that credit back if they find the merchandise was shipped and received. Also he says the charge back has a 90day deadline and it was a month to receive the merchandise.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Devor posted:

Are you mailing it to international waters?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DaveSauce posted:

(hint: banks don't like customers who file invalid chargebacks).

I don't really see how anyone could say I filed an invalid chargeback. I was 100% truthful with my bank, withheld no information, gave a good faith effort to contact the seller multiple times to fix the situation before hand, and the item was postmarked over a month after the chargeback was initiated. It's only invalid after the fact.

I think the most likely scenario is they decided to just ship the item in order to fight the chargeback but I haven't done anything wrong in that scenario.

I'll go talk to my bank tomorrow and ask how they think I should proceed just because the potential headaches from this even if I'm 100% in the right seem like they far outweigh the hilarious turnabout on a very lovely merchant.

Atticus_1354 posted:

He hasn't received a refund. His bank has given him a credit in the same amount as a courtesy to their customer. The bank will absolutely take that credit back if they find the merchandise was shipped and received. Also he says the charge back has a 90day deadline and it was a month to receive the merchandise.

I can't remember the wording off the top of my head but I'm fairly certain the 90 days is to allow the merchant to contest fraudulent claims, not to give them three months to rectify the situation after the customer was legitimately unable to rectify it any other way beforehand.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
What gun is it?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

CongoJack posted:

What gun is it?

A Steyr 1908/34. Pretty cool little thing with a tip up barrel. I bought a different, older variant of the same model (1921 manufacture) that showed up via UPS last night lol. So I have two of them sitting here next to me. If I end up paying for the disputed one I won't be too mad since they're pretty significantly different and I'm collecting tip up barrel pistols.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, maybe the 90 days is for contesting not fixing, maybe you could keep the gun gratis, maybe the bank will take the money back. Who knows.

But pretend you’re on Judge Judy and she says, “Did you get the item?” You say yes, and she says, “Did they get paid?” And of course you say no. What happens next?

”Judgement for the plaintiff in the amount of one hundred doll hairs.” And then you get to do an awkward interview where you say mumble about not agreeing with the ruling but you guess you can’t win ‘em all.

So return the gun or pay for it. The alternative is pathetically losing your case on a pretend episode of Judge Judy.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Bad Munki posted:

Sure, maybe the 90 days is for contesting not fixing, maybe you could keep the gun gratis, maybe the bank will take the money back. Who knows.

But pretend you’re on Judge Judy and she says, “Did you get the item?” You say yes, and she says, “Did they get paid?” And of course you say no. What happens next?

”Judgement for the plaintiff in the amount of one hundred doll hairs.” And then you get to do an awkward interview where you say mumble about not agreeing with the ruling but you guess you can’t win ‘em all.

So return the gun or pay for it. The alternative is pathetically losing your case on a pretend episode of Judge Judy.

I'm going to have to steal this Judge Judy analogy for use with some of my clients.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

my kinda ape posted:

I don't really see how anyone could say I filed an invalid chargeback. I was 100% truthful with my bank, withheld no information, gave a good faith effort to contact the seller multiple times to fix the situation before hand, and the item was postmarked over a month after the chargeback was initiated. It's only invalid after the fact.

I think the most likely scenario is they decided to just ship the item in order to fight the chargeback but I haven't done anything wrong in that scenario.

I'll go talk to my bank tomorrow and ask how they think I should proceed just because the potential headaches from this even if I'm 100% in the right seem like they far outweigh the hilarious turnabout on a very lovely merchant.

I can't remember the wording off the top of my head but I'm fairly certain the 90 days is to allow the merchant to contest fraudulent claims, not to give them three months to rectify the situation after the customer was legitimately unable to rectify it any other way beforehand.

My point was that you should get ahead of this and let your bank know you finally got the item and that the dispute is resolved. You don't know what story the vendor told the bank, but you don't want it to come back to you having initiated a chargeback for an item you actually received.

Most likely nothing will happen, but people abuse the chargeback process and banks don't like it. You don't want to make it look like you're trying to keep the money.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Bad Munki posted:

Am I at risk of being forced to do some sort of arbitration (reality TV or otherwise :v:)?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

This is an important part that's missing. The bank very well may have said "provide evidence they received their goods" and they sent that evidence because you now have received it. The bank doesn't care past this and can now remove the credit from your account.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thehoodie posted:

I'm going to have to steal this Judge Judy analogy for use with some of my clients.

Happy to help, trip report please

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

my kinda ape posted:

Fast forward a little over a month to this morning when the loving gun shows up in the mail, directly to my house, shipped as a C&R item! What the hell.

literally lolled, was not expecting that turn of events.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bad Munki posted:

Hahahahahaha

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bird with big dick posted:

literally lolled, was not expecting that turn of events.

Yeah, that seller has a screw loose. All the more reason to get ahead of things because they're clearly unpredictable. But still: lol.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

my kinda ape posted:

If I end up paying for the disputed one I won't be too mad

not-lawyer advice regarding dealing with internet merchants who end up being shitheads:

If you haven't bought the gun you wanted elsewhere already, just dropping the chargeback is 100% the easiest solution. congratulations, you win, they sent it directly to you! "Yeah, they finally sent it, we're good" is an outcome the bank is prepared for, call them up and close out the dispute and you can forget about the incident forever and enjoy your cool new gun

if you DID buy another one, or are still so mad at them you absolutely forever don't want it, you may be at the mercy of their return policy. if you can prove you informed them you were aborting the transaction before they sent it, they'll probably cave and pay for the return shipping. they also might not. this sub-transaction probably won't fall under your bank's chargeback protection and you might be stuck paying it if the fudd it came from decides to play hardball about it. this is definitely the less good option. definitely do the other one, imo

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I recently had to dispute an item on my credit card that was not a specific act of fraud or straight identity-theft, so I actually looked up the process so that I knew what I was doing. Go ahead and do the same if you want. The government lays out three specific protected actions that can trigger a dispute. The one your thinking of is a merchant acting in bad faith and charging you without ever giving you the item. When you disputed this, your bank gave you provisional credit. It doesn't matter what they called it, but it is provisional and is required as part of the law as they "research" the dispute. This temporary credit can sit on your card so long that you believe it's real, but it's not. It's just there until they complete "researching" the dispute. Even an absolute bullshit dispute will put this credit on your card...for a time. You should be sharing all information you have with your bank and be updating them with new information. When you initiated the dispute somebody likely started researching the facts and asked the merchant WTF was going on. They probably sent you the gun at this point. In [x] number of weeks your bank is going to close the dispute because you received the item, and they are going to remove the provisional credit, and then you are going to pay the bank that money. They never took the money from the merchant in the first place, so you aren't really screwing them. You can go and call them and tell them that you received the gun, or you can wait until they close the dispute, but you are going to pay either way, it's up to you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not a lawyer and I like to give bad advice on purpose. Keep it and see if the gun dealer eventually complains. If they don't, free stuff for wasting your time in the first place. If they do, say "gently caress you, sue me". They probably won't, since they've demonstrated they don't have their poo poo together enough for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not a lawyer and I like to give bad advice on purpose. Keep it and see if the gun dealer eventually complains. If they don't, free stuff for wasting your time in the first place. If they do, say "gently caress you, sue me". They probably won't, since they've demonstrated they don't have their poo poo together enough for something like that.

This company has over 300,000 feedback on Gunbroker (by far the most volume of any seller I've seen and not just some ancient fudd) so they probably do have the money to sue me if they wished. I think the people saying they probably sent the gun as a reaction to the chargeback are probably right. It's possible they have so much going on that someone tried to figure out why the gun had been sitting there so long and looked up the email I'd sent with my license and just sent it without realizing the transaction had been disputed but I think the former is more likely. I'm just gonna go in and talk to my bank this afternoon if I have time and see what they think.