Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

To be fair, it's supposed to have that effect on anyone who knows anything about anything. The entrance was for the aliens who don't know to put respect on the name Storm.

Like half the table were human or spend large chunks of time on Earth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Like half the table were human or spend large chunks of time on Earth...

Yeah, but that's half the table. The other half were A horse alien, a lizard alien, an alien mutant, and an orb.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

OnimaruXLR posted:

I get the feeling the Storm reveal in SWORD was supposed to be like "OHHH poo poo" but instead my reaction, and I imagine Doom's, was more along these lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pePpxU58M

To be fair, that is exactly the kind of entrance Doom himself likes to make. They were at least hoping game would recognize game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

To be fair, that is exactly the kind of entrance Doom himself likes to make. They were at least hoping game would recognize game.

Doom definitely appreciated the response.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I haven't read it yet but the new Way Of X has gotten a couple of scathing reviews regarding how certain characters are represented...

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Is Wanda wearing a flower?

Cause Wanda came through a gate.

Which letting humans through tonight, yes...

But only with a flower.

And I don't see a flower on Wanda.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The flower is for tracking you don’t need it to get through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
storm is also one of the few krakoans that the arrakoans would respect.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

danbanana posted:

I haven't read it yet but the new Way Of X has gotten a couple of scathing reviews regarding how certain characters are represented...

Yeah, there's a thread on it on Spurrier's Twitter as a response to him talking about the issue.

It strikes me as Spurrier hitting one of those invisible tripwires you can encounter when you're a straight dude writing queer-adjacent fiction. I read the issue and most of the problems being brought up didn't register at all with me at the time, but looking at the Women Write About Comics review, I can see the point of the complaints.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The flower is for tracking you don’t need it to get through.

I would believe artist error before I'd believe they're being that lax about security unless it's been stated elsewhere.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

Women Write About Comics review

Yeah, this is one of them that I was referring to.

Again, I haven't read it so I'm only going on some people's readings but there certainly seems to be some missteps. I really enjoyed the first two issues, too.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Super Xorn bros are just levitating around, vibing

Way of X is amazing and seems like barely distracted by the Gala concept

Cortez having a literal Magneto kink is just perfect

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

I would believe artist error before I'd believe they're being that lax about security unless it's been stated elsewhere.

The person who invited her could def make an exception for her.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really loved Captain America in SWORD today. His sad "I just hoped we'd all look for it together" is so good. Unlike everyone else, who is shocked and appalled at Planet Arakko, Cap just wants the best for the mutants. Of any other non-mutant Marvel character, I feel like Cap believed in Xavier's dream at heart. I wish Al Ewing would write Cap.

Beast needs to get thrown in the Sabretooth hole.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Wanderer posted:

The Women Write About Comics review

Just got back from checking this out, and while I can't really speak to the Loa/Mercury thing (other than it giving me flashbacks to that dunderheaded Slott quote about how no one wants to read happy romances in comics), the things it brings up with Nightcrawler resonate with me pretty hard

To me Nightcrawler has always been more on the (secretly) sad Errol Flynn side of the equation than the priest-who-looks-like-a-devil deal. I honestly am not too sure where the super religious angle comes from. I haven't read every single Nightcrawler appearance, but from the ones I have, his Catholicism being a BIG focus always strikes me as being a bit more of an awkward fit than say, Daredevil's. It's not like with Rahne, where she was literally raised by an abusive religious nut. He was abandoned by his globe trotting femme fatale mother, adopted by a circus, where he was raised by a witch, before being recruited for a primarily agnostic/atheist superhero team... so I'm jut not sure where he found the time for weekly mass and poo poo in that equation.

I still find Way of the X to be a pretty good read, and I can probably just chalk it up to the stress of being charged with creating a unifying belief system for mutants in their new quasi-paradise while Onslaught is literally right there holy poo poo, but the idea of Nightcrawler, of all people, having quite so many religious hangups does strike me as kinda dumb

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Just catching up on the fashionably awesome bat poo poo Hellfire Gala. Love love loved the whole process of terraforming using mutant powers.

In essence: https://youtu.be/iRygA_sM6lM

I do wonder if Arrako is just going to turn on Earth eventually with Apocalypse and his wife at the helm.

Doom and Cap having very cordial conversations is something I never knew I would want more of.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OnimaruXLR posted:

I still find Way of the X to be a pretty good read, and I can probably just chalk it up to the stress of being charged with creating a unifying belief system for mutants in their new quasi-paradise while Onslaught is literally right there holy poo poo, but the idea of Nightcrawler, of all people, having quite so many religious hangups does strike me as kinda dumb

Yeah, that's my take from it too. And the characters mocking him for being prudish seem to do it more "this guy is currently being silly" than "what is up with this religious fanatic". Kurt has never been a religious fanatic, but now Legion tells him he has to save the souls of everyone in Krakoa and he is taking it to heart, all the while Legion also tells Kurt he needs to uphold the Krakoan laws.

I just read the WWAC review. When I was reading the issue, it didn't sit well with me that Legion was being so wacky and basically destroyed a relationship for the sake of being wacky (that was kind of a misfire), but I had missed the undertones the review brought to light, and that scene is now even worse. A massive blunder.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I really loved Captain America in SWORD today. His sad "I just hoped we'd all look for it together" is so good. Unlike everyone else, who is shocked and appalled at Planet Arakko, Cap just wants the best for the mutants. Of any other non-mutant Marvel character, I feel like Cap believed in Xavier's dream at heart. I wish Al Ewing would write Cap.

Agreed on every point. It's a sad scene that really shows an understanding of the character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doom respecting Cap because in his head, he IS Cap for Latveria is also a really solid take.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Doom respecting Cap because in his head, he IS Cap for Latveria is also a really solid take.

I mean, as a function of state propaganda, he is Captain Latveria.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, that's my take from it too. And the characters mocking him for being prudish seem to do it more "this guy is currently being silly" than "what is up with this religious fanatic". Kurt has never been a religious fanatic, but now Legion tells him he has to save the souls of everyone in Krakoa and he is taking it to heart, all the while Legion also tells Kurt he needs to uphold the Krakoan laws.

I just read the WWAC review. When I was reading the issue, it didn't sit well with me that Legion was being so wacky and basically destroyed a relationship for the sake of being wacky (that was kind of a misfire), but I had missed the undertones the review brought to light, and that scene is now even worse. A massive blunder.
The Kurt stuff reads more like him trying to get a grip on this sudden new problem that is his responsibility and in many cases reverting to his Catholic roots because that's what he got. Especially when he's hungover and low-grade freaking out. They're lucky he wasn't lapsing into whatever German dialect he learned in the cradle.

The entire Legion beat was a big old fart. In-character it makes David look like a total dipshit, even if the characters' reasoning had some sense to it. Out of universe, man what the hell, just top to bottom.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I love that Xorn and Zorn are just flying around Legion now for no reason. I love it so much. And isn't Onslaught like a world ending problem? That dude took on everybody. He might not be able to manifest fully in the physical world anymore, but he's still a huge deal that even David can't deal with alone.

SPEAKING OF MANIFESTING FULLY IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD, check out Guardians of the Galaxy. I have been on the Ewing train since at least USAvengers, and he has basically never let me down.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't mind Nightcrawler being a bit of a prude in this issue, I think Spurrier is doing kind of an allegorical type thing-- I likened it to Pilgrim's Progress on Discord-- and that necessitates him being a bit literal-minded and naive. He blunders out earnestly with a misapprehension, meets someone who challenges that misapprehension, and blunders out again enlightened in some small way. I think that's fine as a narrative hook and I think Spurrier writes Dumb Kurt in a fairly charming way-- someone idealistic enough to buy the initial Krakoa line all the way, but wise enough to gradually pick up on the cracks and faultlines.

The Loa/Mercury scene was hosed up but it was hosed up in a way I was fine with as a bi woman. One's first sexual experience can be messy and unpleasant, even with the full consent of both people. I think this is especially true with one's first queer sexual experience, because at least if you were born in the USA in a certain era it is going to be entangled with all sorts of narrative of shame and guilt, tied in with the fact that they don't exactly hand you the manual in health class unless you are able-bodied, straight, and cis. No matter how it turns out you're wading into an emotional minefield, a very volatile one, and asking somebody else to be completely vulnerable in that minefield with you, which is, well, fraught. I'm sure for the straights out there you can remember how high-octane your first adolescent romances were. Now imagine that times like.... oh, five. Let's say times ten. God knows I'm glad psychic astral loving was not an option when I was a teen because I think this was actually quite a convincing representation of how this sort of thing might go with two very hormonal young people.

My big issue was that like-- mutants are just dropping off babies in the jungle and nobody is noticing? Nobody is noticing mutants who are pregnant one day and then just like hey I gotta go to the jungle real quick and come back not pregnant? Nobody but Stacy X has found one of these babies? That seems very strange to me. You'd think Nanny, Sinister, even Sage on a basic logistical level would be interested in knowing who's pregnant, how the pregnancy is going, etc.. Does Stacy X have like, a secret jogging path through the jungle that mutants are just tossing their babies onto? I get what Spurrier is going for but it feels like a huge narrative stretch to make a somewhat thin point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's been a recurring theme of the Krakoa era of X-Men (That's what I'm calling this) that everyone at the top is so focused at what is happening outside they aren't paying attention to what's happening inside.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Skwirl posted:

I think it's been a recurring theme of the Krakoa era of X-Men (That's what I'm calling this) that everyone at the top is so focused at what is happening outside they aren't paying attention to what's happening inside.

Ironically I feel like that's been what Krakoa was supposed to address, but, well, it wouldn't be an X-Men comic if the main reason that interpersonal relationships and basic human problems WEREN'T being amplified by literal Super-Bigots trying to kill them all the time on TOP of several governments finding their existence inconvenient to say the least.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

How Wonderful! posted:

My big issue was that like-- mutants are just dropping off babies in the jungle and nobody is noticing? Nobody is noticing mutants who are pregnant one day and then just like hey I gotta go to the jungle real quick and come back not pregnant? Nobody but Stacy X has found one of these babies? That seems very strange to me. You'd think Nanny, Sinister, even Sage on a basic logistical level would be interested in knowing who's pregnant, how the pregnancy is going, etc.. Does Stacy X have like, a secret jogging path through the jungle that mutants are just tossing their babies onto? I get what Spurrier is going for but it feels like a huge narrative stretch to make a somewhat thin point.

There are so many things weird about this idea that the timescale doesn't even crack the top five, but... according to the sliding timescale, how long could Krakoa possibly have been around? Like a couple months? A year a most? Are we supposed to understand that the first thing everybody did when they got to the island was do it, then nine months later collectively abandon all the babies?

radlum
May 13, 2013
So is Magneto going to kill Wanda?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

radlum posted:

Uh, I feel like the trial thing is gonna be for the opposite of that. Hell, maybe he argues he's responsible for her breakdown that caused House Of M and thus he should be held accountable, not her.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, I feel like the trial thing is gonna be for the opposite of that. Hell, maybe he argues he's responsible for her breakdown that caused House Of M and thus he should be held accountable, not her.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOugNisFgVo

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Rochallor posted:

There are so many things weird about this idea that the timescale doesn't even crack the top five, but... according to the sliding timescale, how long could Krakoa possibly have been around? Like a couple months? A year a most? Are we supposed to understand that the first thing everybody did when they got to the island was do it, then nine months later collectively abandon all the babies?

This felt like a huge glaring error when I read the issue too

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

At this point I figure Krakoa's been around long enough for people to have had babies, but I had actually parsed that as Mutant Baby Dropoff for people who didn't live on Krakoa. If you're some shithead who goes around knocking up people and you happen to be a mutant, now you just gotta take a scenic walk and make that kid someone else's problem! You can probably even get free drinks at Blob's on the way home.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

He isn't the type to invite her, then forgive her and be an actual fatherly type only to turn around and kill her.

It's more likely he kills someone because they try and go after Wanda. He would certainly murder the gently caress out of someone who tried to hurt someone he cared about, and especially someone he was trying to make amends with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Actually, are the Arakkoans going to be manning the Mars station? That seems like a good way to get into a war with the rest of the universe

Jiro posted:

I do wonder if Arrako is just going to turn on Earth eventually with Apocalypse and his wife at the helm.

I feel like there's no way that we don't get a War with Arakko story later on down the pipeline where Krakoa realizes that wow this wasn't the great idea we thought it was at the time. The only question is whether it's gonna be that the Arakkoan mutants just go declare war on Earth to try and dominate it, or whether they're gonna start a war with some aliens and drag Earth into it.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Beast needs to get thrown in the Sabretooth hole.

At this point I think Cap believes in Xavier's dream more than Xavier does.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It'll most likely be Magneto killing Wanda but y'know, not really Magneto or not really killing Wanda. Going fully into red string speculation land the last few panels of SWORD are conspicuously showing Magneto's helmet on the table and not on his head, the helmet thats really really well established as being Magneto's defense against psychics.

e: spoilering stuff just to be safe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, unless Charles some super-secretly knew the whole time that she's not a mutant, she should have a backup, right? So she can be rezzed like anyone else?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

I thought that but marvel released solicitations and I am thinking no. I am thinking it’s killing someone who tried to kill her, as it mentions a split and she is the devil in their eyes. It would also cause a huge interstellar incident as it’s the mother of the husband of a major ally.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 24, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, unless Charles some super-secretly knew the whole time that she's not a mutant, she should have a backup, right? So she can be rezzed like anyone else?

I wonder if the same can be said about Franklin (and if that would bring his power back)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder if the same can be said about Franklin (and if that would bring his power back)

Can't wait to see Sue pop Charles' head like a grape when he offers Franklin a chance to do the Crucible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maduo posted:

It'll most likely be Magneto killing Wanda but y'know, not really Magneto or not really killing Wanda. Going fully into red string speculation land the last few panels of SWORD are conspicuously showing Magneto's helmet on the table and not on his head, the helmet thats really really well established as being Magneto's defense against psychics.

e: spoilering stuff just to be safe
My speculation on this: It will be Karma's brother Tran, who we also tellingly did not see at Karma's de-egging. The Shadow King will likely also be involved, Tran's role may be patsy or willingly going along with it, since Tran was a real nasty son of a bitch based on his few appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TwoPair posted:

I feel like there's no way that we don't get a War with Arakko story later on down the pipeline where Krakoa realizes that wow this wasn't the great idea we thought it was at the time. The only question is whether it's gonna be that the Arakkoan mutants just go declare war on Earth to try and dominate it, or whether they're gonna start a war with some aliens and drag Earth into it.

I'm biased because I mostly hate the Arrako stuff but I think they've set them up to be fodder down the road. I think Mars is wiped out by Nimrod at the end of all this. There's a Chekovs Gun thing here with creating a bunch new faceless characters in a story about the genocide of those types of people.

I may have missed this but is Cerebro backing up the Arrako folks?