Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

endocriminologist posted:

Incest is bad and gross. Please refrain from posting how funny you would think it’d be if family members had sex or whatever

Ok, I'll start being earnest about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt like something was wrong with this episode. For your affirmation, have this "staged so poorly I made a face" action scene.
https://i.imgur.com/HRs1p1r.mp4

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Incest is bad and gross. Please refrain from posting how funny you would think it’d be if family members had sex or whatever

technically not incest though?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I seriously resent the fact that we're only getting three more episodes.

loki is getting a second season though

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loki and Loki getting down is masturbation not incest.

Desperado Bones posted:

Edit: Thread too fast for my fat fingers!!! lol

It seems he is singing in Norwegian.
I dunno if there any Norwegians goons that can confirm it.

https://twitter.com/LokisHome/status/1407639786152763394

And the Ladytron song was at the start, the reason I missed it was that it comes into a verse not the bridge or chorus. And that song is funny to be in this episode if you look at the lyrics.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warning seems extra relevant for Lokis

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who felt like something was wrong with this episode. For your affirmation, have this "staged so poorly I made a face" action scene.
https://i.imgur.com/HRs1p1r.mp4

To be fair, that happens in the last part of a 3-minute long shot (which admittedly has about 5 hidden cuts sprinkled throughout), so the action's going to be a bit sloppy by then, especially if they're shooting it chronologically and doing a bunch of takes.

Clearly that moment is supposed to be a "look how in sync they are" moment that I'm guessing this looked really cool in the early stunt-vis version that was filmed by the professional stunt team in a padded gymnasium full of cardboard boxes to represent the layout of the set. Unfortunately, it wasn't actually performed by a professional stunt team, and was instead built around two actors who had to learn the choreography in between all the other stuff required of them for the show.

I'm guessing the showrunners realized this beat lacked energy though, which is why they really ramped up the camera shake and meteor strikes (which are completely absent just before and after this moment).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I really enjoyed WandaVision, and I always liked the Loki character in the films, but this show just isn't working for me. Like, the various elements sound interesting on paper (time police! Owen Wilson and Loki are buddy cops! there's another Loki!), but the dialogue isn't grabbing me at all and the action scenes have been real rough. At this point, I'm only still watching because it sounds like this show's important for the future movies, and I enjoy most of the movies.

Also, was the Captain America show good? I heard from a friend after the first couple of episodes came out that it was really dull, and I don't care about either of the lead characters at all, but I don't know if it finished on a high note or something like that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Falcon and Winter Soldier was fine and had some interesting episodes and not so interesting episodes. I also didn't care too much about either character, so it was nice to get to spend some time with them. Then again, I'm really enjoying Loki a lot and enjoy the dialog etc, so ymmv.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I wonder if Ramona's other analysts/hunters are just different variants of Mobius.

I'm also siding with the idea that one of them enchanted the other. I think based on Loki showing a busted version of the time toy he probably succeed. I could be wrong though and Sylvie might just be lulling him into a false sense of security.
It does seem like Sylvie's time crime was having a better childhood than Lokis though. I'm assuming that's limited her ability to expand her magical powers as she's always been on the run; unless she's holding back significantly.

:thunk:

I quite like the show and like someone said earlier the best sections of it are the characters talking to each other; I'm really not focused or bothered by the fight scenes. Maybe that's just because Hiddleston is so charismatic though.
I thought Sophia Di Martino did a decent job holding her own against him though; especially with the snark.

I did watch a lot of Who so that might colour my perspective.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm seeing some people call episode 3 filler, but I think it got a lot done. You really needed the two Lokis to get lots of time together, and making this episode all about them was a good choice. It could have been better executed in some ways, but the core plot and idea of it didn't come across as filler to me.

After spending a lot of time in the TVA and more normal sets, I quite liked the return of full CG environments, alien set dressing, and plenty of action in the mix.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Other than the theory I had about one person being in another person's enchanted mind another one I am wondering is if the tablet actually wasn't broken, but loki charged it when sylvie was asleep and he used it during the reversing tower bit in the end sequence

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

By the way, concerning the "Loki reversed the building falling" theory:
https://i.imgur.com/FWK5Akx.mp4
Nah. poo poo's being flung backwards so hard you see the broken-off bottom of it, which isn't shown as it's falling. Plus he flings it a bit off-center, so it's spinning (slightly) as it goes backwards. No timey wimey here folks.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 24, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like that all the words on the buildings were in some alien language, but everyone is speaking English/Asgardian/whatever language the two of them commonly speak.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Well, the revelation that the TVA workers are enslaved/brainwashed Variants has completely changed my mind about the TVA. I'm now on team "Another Loki is in charge".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mastajake posted:

I like that all the words on the buildings were in some alien language, but everyone is speaking English/Asgardian/whatever language the two of them commonly speak.

Eh, they could just as easily be speaking Kree or Skrull or Rigellian and we're just 'hearing' English cuz... well... that's what we speak.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Well, the revelation that the TVA workers are enslaved/brainwashed Variants has completely changed my mind about the TVA. I'm now on team "Another Loki is in charge".

mobius is the third loki

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I think they a cut fight scene at the beginning of this episode. When Loki confronts Sylvie outside the elevator, he's breathing awfully hard for someone who's just been walking down a empty corridor. I'm thinking there was originally a Loki vs. TVA agents fight planned, but it got cut (probably for time).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

DaveKap posted:

Nah. poo poo's being flung backwards so hard you see the broken-off bottom of it, which isn't shown as it's falling. Plus he flings it a bit off-center, so it's spinning (slightly) as it goes backwards. No timey wimey here folks.

The thing I'm impressed about is how strong Loki's telekinesis is.

I think is time of rewatching the movies!! Even if I don't like Thor 2 that much.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that struck me is that when Sylvie enters the TVA building and encounters the first guard, she tries to use her magic, then gets surprised and annoyed when it doesn't work. This hints at a certain level of unfamiliarity with the TVA.

Also, what are the spoiler rules? We have people spoilering stuff, but also posting clips...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Also, what are the spoiler rules? We have people spoilering stuff, but also posting clips...?

Spoilers are supposed to be up for 48 hours after release, but it’s not policed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HppyCmpr posted:

I wonder if Ramona's other analysts/hunters are just different variants of Mobius.

I'm also siding with the idea that one of them enchanted the other. I think based on Loki showing a busted version of the time toy he probably succeed. I could be wrong though and Sylvie might just be lulling him into a false sense of security.
It does seem like Sylvie's time crime was having a better childhood than Lokis though. I'm assuming that's limited her ability to expand her magical powers as she's always been on the run; unless she's holding back significantly.

:thunk:

I quite like the show and like someone said earlier the best sections of it are the characters talking to each other; I'm really not focused or bothered by the fight scenes. Maybe that's just because Hiddleston is so charismatic though.
I thought Sophia Di Martino did a decent job holding her own against him though; especially with the snark.

I did watch a lot of Who so that might colour my perspective.

I think the broken time-thingie was an illusion but that everything else is real. Neither of them have enchanted/brain-hosed the other.

From Sylviaes perspective, there's nothing she needs from Loki except a working time-thingie show she can go anywhere else. If she enchants Loki, she takes the time-thingie and stabs him through the face a few times to make sure he doesn't follow her against or tell the TVA what he's learned about (like that she's a her).

From Loki's perspective, he doesn't actually know how to enchant people like Sylvia does. He can do illusions and the like, but we saw the problem with that in this very episode where he tried to be the old woman's husband. He didn't know that guy so she saw through the trick. Loki doesn't know Lamentis. Sylvie is more familiar with the place. Any illusion/false reality he tried to inflict on Sylvie falls apart due to his ignorance about the place. It's the same situation with the tickets. He can't create convincing fakes of them because he's never seen them up close.

On thing I think is really interesting is how the show is beginning to draw a distinction between Original Loki and this Loki. As far as I can tell, the arc of Original Loki went like this:

For a 1000+ years or so he was Loki, Second Son of Odin and Prince of Asgard up to the end of the first Thor movie.

When he fell from the Rainbow bridge he was rescued/captured by the forces of Thanos, accepted their offer and was given/lent the Mind stone spear so he could get them the Tesseract and become Conqueror-King of Earth.

After a bit of time moping in Asgard jail, he teamed up with Thor, defeat Malekith and also faked his own death, returning to rule Asgard as "King Odin."

Once Hel came back Loki landed on his feet in the court of the Grandmaster before eventually bringing a huge spaceship to Asgard to save the remainder of his people before dying in a futile but heroic attempt to kill the Mad Titan Thanos and save his brother Thor.

Whatever he was doing, Loki was always important, consequential. A Somebody (even if not quite as much of a somebody as he thought he should be).

Our Loki, on the other hand, now knows what it is to be a nobody thanks to the TVA. The Minutemen who capture Loki regard him with annoyance and mildly amused contempt. The TVA workers who process him for his trial are utterly indifferent to him. Titles like God of Mischief, Second Son of Odin and Prince of Asgard are meaningless in the TVA. He's not that guy any more. He's just another Variant - a piece of garbage threatening to litter the Sacred Timeline that the TVA has to put in the proper bin.

At the start Mobius doesn't care about the titles either. He's interested in this Variant Loki because he needs help chasing another, far more dangerous Loki. Loki has no magic, no title, no bad-rear end thunder god big bro to come in and save his rear end when he tricksters his way into the deep end of the pool. He just has his wits and insight like any other powerless human. And he uses them. And he enjoys using them.

I think that's why we see him showing concern and a desire to help the people on Lamentis. Because he knows what it's like to be helpless when some monstrous power (the TVA in his case) is going to destroy you.

Desperado Bones posted:

The thing I'm impressed about is how strong Loki's telekinesis is.

I think is time of rewatching the movies!! Even if I don't like Thor 2 that much.

I don't remember Original Loki ever using telekinesis or using magic to fire those green magic bolts . Plenty of illusions, etc but nothing on that line. I wonder if actually using the Tesseract (instead of just having Solveig install it in the gate) might have unlocked part of his magic somehow. Though he didn't really seem surprised by it, so it clearly wasn't something new.

I'm going to fan-wank that Odin or something somehow sealed part of his powers when he was brought to Asgard for imprisonment. He was only allowed to keep the illusions because they were so much a part of him. Meanwhile in Thor and Avengers he never bothered with TK or energy blasts because he either had something better (Odin's spear, the Mind Stone Spear) and didn't see a need to use them.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 24, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DaveKap posted:

This makes him getting dunked on by some big country fella in ep 2 even dumber

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Its Rinaldo posted:

This makes him getting dunked on by some big country fella in ep 2 even dumber

He pretty obviously was letting the puppet dunk him about.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Link, displaced from time and stuck in an alien city about to be obliterated by a falling moon to Loki

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 24, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I mean, I was very convinced the whole thing was just Sylvie's elaborate enchantment fantasy and this was the third hand tip-- the first two being her working the mind of the TVA agent, and her literally telling Loki "some minds I have to create a more elaborate fantasy"-- but then the episode ended.

I suppose the whole "I was just working you" Sylvie enchantment could still happen though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Everyone posted:

I don't remember Original Loki ever using telekinesis or using magic to fire those green magic bolts . Plenty of illusions, etc but nothing on that line. I wonder if actually using the Tesseract (instead of just having Solveig install it in the gate) might have unlocked part of his magic somehow. Though he didn't really seem surprised by it, so it clearly wasn't something new.

I'm going to fan-wank that Odin or something somehow sealed part of his powers when he was brought to Asgard for imprisonment. He was only allowed to keep the illusions because they were so much a part of him. Meanwhile in Thor and Avengers he never bothered with TK or energy blasts because he either had something better (Odin's spear, the Mind Stone Spear) and didn't see a need to use them.

Oh, yeah, me neither. At much, aside from his tricks, he had super strength and was able to catch an arrow in mid-flight ( They are probably giving him telekinesis and the green bolts because if they are planning on making the character return to the movies he is gonna be dealing with cosmic entities or powerful people like Wanda. Tricks and daggers won't work anymore. ) .

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mastajake posted:

Well you see, the TARDIS translates alien languages and...

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, yeah, me neither. At much, aside from his tricks, he had super strength and was able to catch an arrow in mid-flight ( They are probably giving him telekinesis and the green bolts because if they are planning on making the character return to the movies he is gonna be dealing with cosmic entities or powerful people like Wanda. Tricks and daggers won't work anymore. ) .

I agree, sort of. Loki is never the type of person to overtly use his powers like that so I thought it was a great touch that in the face of almost certain doom he just starts blasting things and throwing buildings around. I think a lot of people forget he grew up his whole life training and fighting with or against Thor and other Asgardians.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Robot Style posted:

To be fair, that happens in the last part of a 3-minute long shot (which admittedly has about 5 hidden cuts sprinkled throughout), so the action's going to be a bit sloppy by then, especially if they're shooting it chronologically and doing a bunch of takes.

Clearly that moment is supposed to be a "look how in sync they are" moment that I'm guessing this looked really cool in the early stunt-vis version that was filmed by the professional stunt team in a padded gymnasium full of cardboard boxes to represent the layout of the set. Unfortunately, it wasn't actually performed by a professional stunt team, and was instead built around two actors who had to learn the choreography in between all the other stuff required of them for the show.

I'm guessing the showrunners realized this beat lacked energy though, which is why they really ramped up the camera shake and meteor strikes (which are completely absent just before and after this moment).
A well-reasoned, measured, knowledgeable explanation for something contentious?!

Here?! Now?!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HppyCmpr posted:

I think what happened is that Loki managed to put Sylvie under enchantment and her falling asleep is the clue to it, because she stated she'd never feel comfortable falling asleep in such a dangerous situation just prior to it and then "wakes up" to Loki acting goofy and loving up in various ways. I think the Tempad is fine, and that he was just pumping her for information and the whole "how does enchantment work" thing was Loki looking not for information he was missing but to see if she'd tell him the truth so he could ascertain whether to trust her or not.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Other than the theory I had about one person being in another person's enchanted mind another one I am wondering is if the tablet actually wasn't broken, but loki charged it when sylvie was asleep and he used it during the reversing tower bit in the end sequence

I doubt it, because Sylvie noted it'd need a huge power source to recharge it and they haven't come across one yet. Not that we've been shown at least.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Viscous Soda posted:

I think they a cut fight scene at the beginning of this episode. When Loki confronts Sylvie outside the elevator, he's breathing awfully hard for someone who's just been walking down a empty corridor. I'm thinking there was originally a Loki vs. TVA agents fight planned, but it got cut (probably for time).

I don't know if there was a fight and/or if it was just for time as the episode was short-ish. Time works differently in the TVA but it's not like Loki got a burn notice that quickly on him yet.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
So the solution is for the Lokis to learn to be truly mischievous by doing something so outrageous that it somehow transcends the Apocalypse they're in that they alter the timeline to trip the alarm and call Owen Wilson in to the rescue on the back of a space time-jetski, right?

Pompeii could be defeated by leaving a time capsule with a two thousand year alarm clock in it, right? Leave a legacy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm gonna die if we do get Owen Wilson on a jetski by the end of the season.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah, rip

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JohnnySavs posted:

So the solution is for the Lokis to learn to be truly mischievous by doing something so outrageous that it somehow transcends the Apocalypse they're in that they alter the timeline to trip the alarm

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

I agree, sort of. Loki is never the type of person to overtly use his powers like that so I thought it was a great touch that in the face of almost certain doom he just starts blasting things and throwing buildings around. I think a lot of people forget he grew up his whole life training and fighting with or against Thor and other Asgardians.

I agree that Loki should be capable of this level of magic, even though we have not seen him use it before to this scale. However this is also a very good piece of evidence for the theory that this is all an elaborate illusion by Loki to get Sylvie on his side or whatever, which seems much more of a Loki move than mind-tossing a building

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm gonna die if we do get Owen Wilson on a jetski by the end of the season.

It won't be till the post credit scene (episode 3 spoiler) Loki is walking around on Earth when he bumps into Mobius's sacred timeline original, a used jetski salesman.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

DaveKap posted:

In the full-res shot it does look like smoke is being sucked back into the building at the break point. The bigger tell for time shenanigans is that there's no green glow, since all the infinity stones are helpfully color coded (though that also implies the planet is being destroyed via the power stone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tsob posted:

I think what happened is that Loki managed to put Sylvie under enchantment and her falling asleep is the clue to it, because she stated she'd never feel comfortable falling asleep in such a dangerous situation just prior to it and then "wakes up" to Loki acting goofy and loving up in various ways. I think the Tempad is fine, and that he was just pumping her for information and the whole "how does enchantment work" thing was Loki looking not for information he was missing but to see if she'd tell him the truth so he could ascertain whether to trust her or not.

I doubt it, because Sylvie noted it'd need a huge power source to recharge it and they haven't come across one yet. Not that we've been shown at least.
Yeah this is my theory as well. I didn't buy that the device was just broken.