Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do I just disable explosions all together in GT:NH?

We had another large LHE remove itself from the world overnight. After rebuilding and testing, I think I saw what happened. I have a tank between its output and the turbine inputs. I was using that to throttle steam rates. Once rebuilt, it worked fine for a bit until it got locked at a certain amount. I don't know exactly what it was but it was less than 10% full. Everything was backed up and the LHE was purging all the steam it was producing. So I can imagine that would be how it ate 4,000,000mb of distilled water overnight and blew up.

There's not much I can really do with that kind of glitch outside of a permanent off if I ever run out of water and a lot of coddling. At this point, I think I did my due diligence and I just want the LHE to work.

I think the best thing you can do there is go to gregtech.cfg and set
B:machines_explosion_damage=false
which will prevent exploding machines from dealing damage to their surroundings.

Um, if you are using any kind of throttling at all on your steam I'm pretty sure that will cause steam to back up and water to be wasted. Like, where do you expect the steam to go when throttled? You want to avoid an LHE explosion while running your turbines at perfect efficiency with zero water input but it sounds very much like the math does not work. Either run a distillery to top off the LHE or accept that you will have imperfect turbines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I don't really have enough information to properly diagnose the problem. You'd need to provide, at minimum, the following points:

* Type of pipe used to pump distilled water (DW) from distilled water buffer (DWB) to LHE
* Tier of electric pump used to extract DW from DWB
* Method of creating DW
* Exact number of high- and low-pressure turbines (HPT + LPT)
* Turbine blade choice in all of the turbines
* Hot fluid (HF) type (I think you said lava)
* Setting on fluid regulator between HF buffer and LHE
* Size of superheated steam (SHS) buffer tank between LHE and turbines, if any (SHSB)
* Total amount of storage in all LHE SHS output hatches
* Tier of electric pump used to extract SHS from SHSB
* Type of pipes used to carry SHS from SHSB to HPT
* Size of input hatches on HPT
* Size of output hatches on HPT
* Type of pipes used to carry normal steam (NS) from HPT to LPT, if any (HPT and LPT can touch each other for unlimited throughput)
* Size of input hatches on LPT
* Size of output hatches on LPT
* Type of pipe used to carry DW output from LPT to DWB

And that's just what I can think of off hand. All of these factors are related to possible DW loss in your system. Of course, this assumes everything is at 100% efficiency.

As an example, when I first made my LHE setup, I was also bleeding water. Turns out that the pipes I was using to return DW to the DWB from the LPT were too small. I doubled their size, and then I wasn't bleeding water any more.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 17, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hmm, it occurs to me that if you add distilled water into the system you're likely to produce too much distilled water, which would cause the turbines to not be able to pipe out their water, and if I know Gregtech that will cause problems too. I expect you'd need some kind of redstone switch to turn off the distillery when the distilled water buffer tank is above 90% or whatever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Hmm, it occurs to me that if you add distilled water into the system you're likely to produce too much distilled water, which would cause the turbines to not be able to pipe out their water, and if I know Gregtech that will cause problems too. I expect you'd need some kind of redstone switch to turn off the distillery when the distilled water buffer tank is above 90% or whatever.

It actually won't cause any problems -- one of the defining features of GTNH multiblocks (and the reason why Rocko is experiencing DW bleed) is that multiblocks void any outputs if their buffers are full and keep processing. Something like 60% of my control circuitry in my platline building is dedicated from preventing that from happening. You can absolutely overproduce distilled water and be fine.

That being said, it does cost power that you don't necessarily need to spend. I shut off my distillation tower at 50% fill level of my DW buffer, and have separate feed/recycle pipes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Um, if you are using any kind of throttling at all on your steam I'm pretty sure that will cause steam to back up and water to be wasted. Like, where do you expect the steam to go when throttled? You want to avoid an LHE explosion while running your turbines at perfect efficiency with zero water input but it sounds very much like the math does not work. Either run a distillery to top off the LHE or accept that you will have imperfect turbines.

There was a super tank between the LHE steam output and the turbines. I had that there to help clear surplus steam out of the LHE so it wouldn't be voiding any. That tank never got full but was acting like it was. It wasn't even 10% full. It just froze at a number somewhere around 9% full. Like, I would have thought the server was screwing up because that level was static, but everything else was still fluctuating. This caused the LHE output to back up, void a bunch of steam, and hence eliminate a bunch of distilled water.

Eventually, it unjammed, but it was after a few minutes, and it was able to fill up a little more and completely discharge as well. At this point, I'm thinking something like that happened overnight, depleted all my water, and then caused an explosion when a little more trickled in from an external distilled water source. I don't think it was a secondary effect of the rotors failing because they were still claiming correct operation and had over 75% of their durability when I checked them.

The steam output was EV tier and I was using huge naquadah pipes in and out of the super tank. I think the pump out of the tank was IV tier.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hot on the heels of platline...

Assline complete! Now I can start making Ludicrous Voltage stuff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So I decided to tinker with GTNH and immediately got annoyed that the downloader for it didn't respect disabled jar mods at all. Ended up having to rip the entire thing out just to be able to remove infernal & special mobs. Not the best start.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For those still on the suffering arc -- GTNH had a stable version update to 2.1.1.0. Be warned, though -- if you're using the Technic Launcher, the version of one of its mods packaged in the update is the wrong version, and causes issues with multiblocks not forming and working. Grab the pack from http://downloads.gtnewhorizons.com/ClientPacks/ and use MultiMC if you want to upgrade.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone know anything about server hosting? Or if SA even has that many goons who'd be interested who aren't on another server already? I was thinking of paying money to get an ATM6 server up and going, but I don't know enough about SA to think I'd get people playing, or if their recommended host (Akliz) is good. I like Minecraft, but I like it better when I log-in and see people making stuff / can show people I'm making stuff.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone know anything about server hosting? Or if SA even has that many goons who'd be interested who aren't on another server already? I was thinking of paying money to get an ATM6 server up and going, but I don't know enough about SA to think I'd get people playing, or if their recommended host (Akliz) is good. I like Minecraft, but I like it better when I log-in and see people making stuff / can show people I'm making stuff.

I've not used Akliz, but server hosting is pretty straightforward on a VPS. I use MCPH and they're pretty good.

ATM6 you're probably going to spend upwards of $60/mo on for hosting - every mod you add increases the RAM your server will need in order to run well, and a pack that is "literally all the mods" is going to need a lot of RAM.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
Are there any fine points that trip people up when building/feeding/powering a distillation tower? Because I've just finished mine, the multiblock looks like it successfully formed, I went through the maintenance hatch issues, made sure it has adequate power (2 MV hatches fed by fully-powered battery buffers in turn fed by steam turbines) and the input hatch was full (of oil in this case). But when I try to fire it up, it processes a single unit then shuts down. The outputs all look correct, the batteries remain charged, I'm right in the middle of a chunk, and no warnings/errors are appearing anywhere. I'm not supposed to be giving it some sort of redstone signal somewhere, am I?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You are a nerd posted:

Are there any fine points that trip people up when building/feeding/powering a distillation tower? Because I've just finished mine, the multiblock looks like it successfully formed, I went through the maintenance hatch issues, made sure it has adequate power (2 MV hatches fed by fully-powered battery buffers in turn fed by steam turbines) and the input hatch was full (of oil in this case). But when I try to fire it up, it processes a single unit then shuts down. The outputs all look correct, the batteries remain charged, I'm right in the middle of a chunk, and no warnings/errors are appearing anywhere. I'm not supposed to be giving it some sort of redstone signal somewhere, am I?

How big are the battery buffers you're using? How many batteries inside each? When you put two energy hatches on any (non-GT++) multi, you're telling it to use the tier of power above what the hatches actually are. If you aren't putting 2A into both of those hatches constantly, then it's going to sputter and die like that. That MV distillation tower is actually an HV distillation tower and needs 4A MV to run.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How big are the battery buffers you're using? How many batteries inside each? When you put two energy hatches on any (non-GT++) multi, you're telling it to use the tier of power above what the hatches actually are. If you aren't putting 2A into both of those hatches constantly, then it's going to sputter and die like that. That MV distillation tower is actually an HV distillation tower and needs 4A MV to run.

Yeah, that was it. There are two buffers feeding each hatch, next to each of the two steam turbines is a 16-slot box that I've slowly been filling with batteries as I get the lithium. Then as I was setting everything up I found a pair of 4-slot boxes I had sitting around and I just stuck them in front of the energy hatches figuring I'd fill them up later, under the erroneous impression that they'd still pass current through them when empty but then I stuck in one battery apiece "just in case" which is I guess why it worked at all.

I'm kicking myself for not realizing that's what happens with double hatches, since I'm pretty sure it's explicitly laid out in the text of the EBF missions. Thanks for the reminder.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I still can't believe that we're talking about GregTech... Isn't it the apex/prime example of the "MUH BALANCE/VISION" mods?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
First you play a kitchen sink pack, and then maybe you want some progression so you add in a few quests... before you know it, you're building thousands of individually machined parts, just chasing the complexity dragon.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
It's amazing what can happen when a poo poo creator drops a project and the community runs with it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Danny Glands posted:

I still can't believe that we're talking about GregTech... Isn't it the apex/prime example of the "MUH BALANCE/VISION" mods?

The operative point is that we aren't talking about GregTech -- we're talking about GregTech: New Horizons specifically.

I don't know all the history around the original Greg guy and the original GT. I've heard stories; they didn't sound flattering. However, one thing is definitely clear -- the developers of GTNH are not Greg, and Greg isn't involved. It's a completely different group of people, running a cloned (or forked) version of GT that they maintain themselves. The pack has been under active development for more than five years. A new major update landed a week or two ago. Hell, a tiny, tiny amount of my work is in there -- I submitted several quest book pull requests for fixing typos and clarifying some stuff. There are open requests for developers to develop new content mods. And so on. It's a world of difference from all the horrible stories I heard about GT.

Is it tedious? gently caress yes. Are there parts that I had to turn off? Yep. Are the pack developers pricks sometimes? Of course. However, if you're into ridiculous engineering challenges, there are precious few (if any) substitutes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been enjoying GTNH quite thoroughly with infernal mobs and blood moons turned off. The building challenge is more than enough for me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH blogpost: I'm grinding out my first fusion reactor now.

This is just for one part of it. I have the ingredients for the base ingots, the helium, and all the parts for the 247 LuV pumps (except for the motors, which are currently being built in my assline now.) Each motor takes 16 ruridit ingots, each, which means I needed 62 stacks of it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
if you're building stuff with thousands of intermediary parts maybe you should give satisfactory a try. probably runs better anyway. :v:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Light Gun Man posted:

if you're building stuff with thousands of intermediary parts maybe you should give satisfactory a try. probably runs better anyway. :v:

Satisfactory, Factorio, and Dyson Sphere Project are all fantastic but GTNH just hits different, man.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Have any adventure packs even remotely as good as Blightfall come out since it came out? Or is it still reigning champion of adventure/quest packs?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Material energy 5 was excellent.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also apologies for being a lazy rear end and asking questions the OP answers, I asked then went "oh hey it's a new modded MC thread I should read the new OP" and found the :reddit: thread linked that's a good seeming resource.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Material energy 5 was excellent.

I'll also have to check this out, I remember really enjoying the old adventure packs where you loaded and unloaded chunks of space as like, little dungeons and poo poo

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Craft to Exile: Dissonance is remarkably good, and if you're like to play it with goons there's a server up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969327

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

dragonshardz posted:

Craft to Exile: Dissonance is remarkably good, and if you're like to play it with goons there's a server up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969327

Do you have advice on rebinding the spell keys? because shift+ 1-5 is completely unworkable in a combat situation.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I did mine as z, x, c, g, and j. I generally only use a couple of powers at a time so having some buttons a little less convenient is fine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ash Rose posted:

Do you have advice on rebinding the spell keys? because shift+ 1-5 is completely unworkable in a combat situation.

I use 1-5 with 6 as my bar swap

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH status:

:toot:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We are starting to burn out over and so I thought I'd ask you about what it's been like to automate in GTNH. We were all looking for an interesting factory automation problem, but I had to ultimately conclude with the LHE that the behavior of steam in it was so inconsistent that you just have to dial in the numbers and keep feeding it a pile of distilled water. Nothing else worked. It looks like we've had a similar level of fussiness. Most of the automation it does have doesn't even become available until really late.

I guess for that matter, I wonder what is a good pack for automation challenges. I did like, for example, the old Agrarian Skies challenges, but it did lean a lot on "install AE2, problem solved."

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess for that matter, I wonder what is a good pack for automation challenges. I did like, for example, the old Agrarian Skies challenges, but it did lean a lot on "install AE2, problem solved."

Project Ozone 3 on Kappa Mode required absolutely tons of automation through every single stage and ends with gross amounts of intermod requirements. It's high up there on the difficulty scale but also nowhere near GTNH. It's also balanced quite well towards shoving you into infinite resources rather early while leaving it open ended for faster / more efficient acquisition that lets you break through to the next tiers or mods so you always feel like you're going somewhere.

It's the only mod where I built a room covered floor, ceiling, walls, and columns throughout of interfaces and the absolute fastest possible ways to move resources because dealing with thousands of inputs/outputs per second was so hard on the system.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 13, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really, really wish that more mods and packs that relied on heavy, perpetual automation did so with condensed machines rather than parallelization. Instead of making me build 12 of the same expensive machine side by side and slowing my crappy computer to a crawl, just give me one machine at 12x the cost that does 12x the work. Hell, make it 12x the cost for 10x the work. I'll pay for the convenience of conserved space and not having my computer melt.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We are starting to burn out over and so I thought I'd ask you about what it's been like to automate in GTNH. We were all looking for an interesting factory automation problem, but I had to ultimately conclude with the LHE that the behavior of steam in it was so inconsistent that you just have to dial in the numbers and keep feeding it a pile of distilled water. Nothing else worked. It looks like we've had a similar level of fussiness. Most of the automation it does have doesn't even become available until really late.

Honestly, the amount of automation I've personally done is pretty light. I did automate all of platline, I automated ore processing, and I did some small automation chains for chemical processing (oil, charcoal byproducts,) but aside from assembling tiny dusts for platline I have zero traditional autocrafting. Most of this is due to laziness; I've bootstrapped AE2 so many times in other packs that my brain just shuts down at the prospect of doing it again.

In terms of automating stuff, Ultimate Alchemy is entirely based around automating. You're given infinite wood and stone to start and creative flight in a void world, and told to make "true clay" using its highly modified recipes. It doesn't have AE2. Frankly, though, you'll be hard pressed to find a pack that doesn't use AE2 -- its performance is just too good. Pretty much every other automation method is an order of magnitude worse or more.

Also, sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the LHE. I don't know what else I can suggest without physically looking at the system you've designed. Mine's steady as a rock. I frequently leave the game on for hours at a time totally AFK (letting stuff process in the EBF rather than actually putting in the work to build out more power) and my system is still going strong. Even if I do spring a leak -- this will absolutely happen no matter what system you have, because turbines can have maintenance problems and thus your system will start voiding steam -- my control circuitry kicks in to keep my base safe.

Vib Rib posted:

I really, really wish that more mods and packs that relied on heavy, perpetual automation did so with condensed machines rather than parallelization. Instead of making me build 12 of the same expensive machine side by side and slowing my crappy computer to a crawl, just give me one machine at 12x the cost that does 12x the work. Hell, make it 12x the cost for 10x the work. I'll pay for the convenience of conserved space and not having my computer melt.

GTNH actually does this -- there's a multiblock called the Processing Array. The way it works is that you put up to 64 single block machines inside, and it simulates running all 64 machines in parallel, assuming you're feeding it enough power to handle 64 recipes at once. It works with nearly every single block GT machine in the pack. It's really cool.

There are also condensed versions of multiblocks, like a mega blast smelter which does the job of 64 single block blast smelters. It's the size of an entire chunk, too, which is great. The mega distillation tower is 15x15 wide and up to 56 blocks tall.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH actually does this -- there's a multiblock called the Processing Array. The way it works is that you put up to 64 single block machines inside, and it simulates running all 64 machines in parallel, assuming you're feeding it enough power to handle 64 recipes at once. It works with nearly every single block GT machine in the pack. It's really cool.
Yeah, honestly, even this. Just give me a single-block machine to throw copies into. Save TPS and performance, plus have a much more neatly organized base. More mods need to do this. I'm just really, really tired of tech mods where the next step in a quest, or the advice you'll get, comes out like "okay, now that you've build and wired up an X, build about 30 more, just to be safe".

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Anybody know of any in-depth quest mods besides GT:NH?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Omnifactory's a solid one but if you didn't like GT:NH you may not like this one, as it's also an automation-focused Gregtech-based tech pack. That said it doesn't go the magic integration route so you don't make wands in between factory machines.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Enigmatica 2 (and its Expert mode) is another good one with a great questbook. Many people also enjoyed Project Ozone 3 and its higher difficulties, Titan and Kappa, although I found the questbook to be a bit sparse (like it had objectives for creating everything in a mod but didn't really explain how or why, you'd spend a lot of time searching up the details yourself) and much like GT:NH it has a penchant for including awful survival/enemy mods for some reason (hi Abyssalcraft...). I'll also recommend Omnifactory as having a great quest book and no randomly exploding super-mobs; you can in fact play pacifist if you like.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
There's a bunch of Engimaticas on Curseforge. What are the differences? It's up to Engimatica 6, so I'm not sure which to get.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The most complete / recommended version is E2E or E2ES if you prefer skyblock. The others are just on various different minecraft versions and have different levels of completeness. 1.12 was one of the big versions that stuck around for a while in the modding scene.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Oh poo poo don't forget Sevtech Ages. It uses the advancement system to actually gate content and runs you from primitive stone age to space with Astral sorcery and a few other magic mods. Played through the whole pack up to the moon with my wife and it was very enjoyable. We purposely took our opposite roles (she took the tech mods and I did magic) and it was really cool working through mods we hadn't done before.