Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

it was a big problem last heat wave because a ton of the homes there dont have any AC, people dont even have window units

we live in a Seattle home with no AC. brought our old portable AC out of storage and ordered an additional one before they sold out (I hate portable units but our windows are weird and none of them would really fit a window unit).

as it happens I called an HVAC guy a few weeks ago (at the first signs of summer heat, not even anything out of the ordinary) and he wasn't even available for an initial estimate for almost two months. Anecdotally the abundance of homes without AC around here means that HVAC techs are already at 100% capacity, and if it's anything like previous heat waves portable/window units will sell out almost immediately if we have any serious heat.

seems bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Animated view of the incoming heat dome. Front of rainbow colors = high pressure (hot, cloudless), back of rainbow = low pressure (cooler, cloudy).

Standard disclaimer that forecast accuracy after t=120h is not good.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It's going to be nasty and I'm definitely not looking forward to it but it has been pretty dry and I don't think we're going to have to deal with any serious humidity (Portland isn't actually particularly close to the coast and while they aren't quite as high as the cascades the coast range does sit between here and the ocean, it's consistently a bit drier and warmer here than Seattle). But yeah as mentioned the houses here aren't really built for hot weather, more to stay warm in the winter, and when it doesn't cool off under 70 at night it can cause some serious issues with multi-day heatwaves

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

it was a big problem last heat wave because a ton of the homes there dont have any AC, people dont even have window units

Window units have gotten a lot more common in the last couple of years from what I've noticed but yeah central AC is actually pretty uncommon

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Portland OR

this is fine

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

rip

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Testvan posted:

Portland OR

this is fine

we know that's inaccurate because it's showing sunshine in the PNW

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Animated view of the incoming heat dome. Front of rainbow colors = high pressure (hot, cloudless), back of rainbow = low pressure (cooler, cloudy).

I've got to plan some driving and living in a tent here in a week, what's the best or most accurate way to look ahead

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Testvan posted:

Portland OR

this is fine

ping

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I talked to someone last year who had a home in the California forest (Truckee, just north of Lake Tahoe), they had cleared out the trees in the immediate vicinity, but I wonder how he's doing now

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Portlanders, move into basements. Embrace fungus. Goblin life.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

looking good for hurricanes.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

what would it take to get some west coast hurricanes going?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

a shift in the planet’s magnetic field?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

does the west coast of Mexico count

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ignoring the west coast hurricanes that hit central America and Mexico, it might be possible. Last summer, a hurricane formed by Baja California and while it didn't hit mainland US, it did throw off a bunch of small thunderstorms that caused a shitload of wildfires.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

water temps are waaaaaaaay to cold to really hit anywhere on the western part of CONUS. Maybe remnants of a dying one could hit near the border, a couple have tried.

water temps. Early in the season but note how much further cold temperatures extend down the EPac:

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Jun 23, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

water temps are waaaaaaaay to cold to really hit anywhere on the western part of CONUS. Maybe remnants of a dying one could hit near the border, a couple have tried.

water temps. Early in the season but note how much further cold temperatures extend down the EPac:

west coast best coast

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It's quite difficult to produce hurricanes that hit the west coast of the US at significant strength because the Pacific ocean along the west coast of the US is rather cold, as the oceanic circulation draws water from the Arctic southwards, and it cannot support hurricane formation or sustain activity for very long.

That said, hurricanes do hit Baja California occasionally, and a tropical storm made landfall in Long Beach in 1939.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The arctic ocean being properly equatorialized. It'll take an extinction event to manage that before at least a few decades hence.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Now would you westerners like some of our Florida humidity? :smug:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Tropical cyclone circulations impacting the West are not common, but they have happened. The remnant moisture intrusion happens yearly and typically triggers flood-inducing thunderstorms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Norbert_(2014)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Hurricane Norbit

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

a shift in the planet’s magnetic field?

magnetic fields don't cause hurricanes so no that wouldn't do it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Now would you westerners like some of our Florida humidity? :smug:

No, wet heat is awful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GFS has chilled a bit. It’s still really hot, but it’s no longer impossibly hot.

Red Bluff, between the two “115” markers in the north valley, measured one hundred and seventeen degrees on 26 June 2006.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Platystemon posted:

GFS has chilled a bit. It’s still really hot, but it’s no longer impossibly hot.

Probably got confused and spit out something for July or August

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
we are now expecting only 40 C in Vancouver on Monday. my phone is blowing up with extreme heat warnings from Environment Canada

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SirPablo posted:

Tropical cyclone circulations impacting the West are not common, but they have happened. The remnant moisture intrusion happens yearly and typically triggers flood-inducing thunderstorms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Norbert_(2014)

Occasionally a typhoon remnant in late Fall will get sucked into the Pineapple Express and hit the PNW as a Big Blow-type storm, too. Happened a couple years ago but I can't remember the specific storm.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Testvan posted:

Portland OR

this is fine

113 now

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Testvan posted:

Portland OR

this is fine

Yeah, I had heard 104, this is hosed

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Aug 21, 2021

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

platzapS posted:

Hurricane Norbit

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Probably got confused and spit out something for July or August

Things that struggle with Linear Time:
• Me
• Weather Models, apparently

breadnsucc posted:

when i was growing up around here no one even cared about AC, now most people have it, its crazy town

Our generation is clearly just soft, unlike those rugged, independent, salt-of-the-earth boomers that raised us.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

breadnsucc posted:

when i was growing up around here no one even cared about AC, now most people have it, its crazy town

yeah there might be a few days in the summer that would get above 90f/32c and it was notable if it ever got above 100

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/ScottSeattleWx/status/1407916680584470528

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m glad my mind isn’t boggled by something that is going to happen multiple times a year with increasing frequency forever.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I’m glad my mind isn’t boggled by something that is going to happen multiple times a year with increasing frequency forever.

yeah we're hosed. what can you do

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Do they believe in climate change yet or will the solar panels and electric cars save us

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do they believe in climate change yet or will the solar panels and electric cars save us

everything i've read in the business press lately has been that finance and politics people have come around to the idea that now that biden is president global warming will be addressed and that it mostly involves phasing out gasoline cars for electric cars and the transition to a non-carbon-intensive economy will mostly be finished in maybe 10 or 20 years

this is also about what the biden admin has been messaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zarin posted:

Things that struggle with Linear Time:
• Me
• Weather Models, apparently

Our generation is clearly just soft, unlike those rugged, independent, salt-of-the-earth boomers that raised us. razed the US

Fixed.