Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I keep procrastinating, and before I know it my stuff won't be suitable anymore

Yeah, I just missed out on all that stuff since it took way too loving long for me to get approved. Also I only got like two weeks notice ahead of time for the actual surgery date. Forgot to even pee on a tree one last time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone ITT familiar with a company called spycloud?

I just got an interview with them.

Are they a good company?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i kinda feel like that name is all you need to know

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Achmed Jones posted:

i kinda feel like that name is all you need to know

So they're bad?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have no idea but they're called spycloud so....

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Achmed Jones posted:

i have no idea but they're called spycloud so....

I am dumb.

Please explain to me why that name is bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

Without SpyCloud, businesses rely on their employees and customers to comply with password policies requiring strong, unique passwords that haven’t been compromised in a breach. But inevitably, users’ bad password habits will put your business at risk.

With SpyCloud, you’ll automatically check users’ credentials against the world’s largest breach dataset to identify stolen passwords before criminals have a chance to use them. You’ll block bad actors from using stolen data to take over your users’ accounts. And you’ll automate the remediation of exposed passwords to proactively thwart account takeover and online fraud.

Anything less than SpyCloud puts you at risk.

so it's haveibeenpwned.....

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I realise it's chickenfeed by modern standards but it boggles the mind how such an obviously dog poo poo company has raised $58m in funding

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

I realise it's chickenfeed by modern standards but it boggles the mind how such an obviously dog poo poo company has raised $58m in funding

Right? I wrote a powershell script to automatically check pwned passwords and jesus loving christ this company managed to get $58m for the same loving thing

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Right? I wrote a powershell script to automatically check pwned passwords and jesus loving christ this company managed to get $58m for the same loving thing

That's why you're here posting on somethingawful and the ceo over there is having martinis or what ever

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
wealth tax wealth TaX wEAltH tAX WEALtH TAX WEALTH TAX WEALTH TAX

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I see...

I know nothing about cyber security but I suspected that it probably was just like haveibeenpwnd...

So far I have only had one very brief interview and I pretty much pressed them for product information because it sounds like any other site that pulls from a list like havibeenpwnd... I'm pretty sure firefox even has something built into the browser that does the same thing.

Basically, the recruiter I talked to told me that they have "the best data". She also said something about how they have employees that manually pose as "criminals" to obtain list information that other companies can not access?

Idk it just sounds like they're using the same data everyone else is using and grifting companies out of their money via licensing fees.

Tbh most companies do something similar... It just seems like the company has built a solid book of business over the past year and to be honest the senior leadership looks impressive on paper...

Probably going to keep talking to them though just becuase I'm curious lol

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

I see...

I know nothing about cyber security but I suspected that it probably was just like haveibeenpwnd...

So far I have only had one very brief interview and I pretty much pressed them for product information because it sounds like any other site that pulls from a list like havibeenpwnd... I'm pretty sure firefox even has something built into the browser that does the same thing.

Basically, the recruiter I talked to told me that they have "the best data". She also said something about how they have employees that manually pose as "criminals" to obtain list information that other companies can not access?

Idk it just sounds like they're using the same data everyone else is using and grifting companies out of their money via licensing fees.

Tbh most companies do something similar... It just seems like the company has built a solid book of business over the past year and to be honest the senior leadership looks impressive on paper...

Probably going to keep talking to them though just becuase I'm curious lol

I mean, if they have competent (at raising capital) leadership and the work environment is cool, then why worry? It's not like you'd be working for Nestle or anything.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Volguus posted:

I mean, if they have competent (at raising capital) leadership and the work environment is cool, then why worry? It's not like you'd be working for Nestle or anything.

Well I would have to sell this thing lol

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Well I would have to sell this thing lol

Oh, I thought you'd be an engineer, sorry, my bad. About selling that thing ... no idea, then again, if it pays the bills and you can sleep at night, why not?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you get my name and number for some reason please stop cold calling when I don’t pick up day after day after day.

Thanks! :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

If you get my name and number for some reason please stop cold calling when I don’t pick up day after day after day.

Please stop emailing me too for sales. We don't need any more tools when I cannot even get management to buy in on implementing good Security policy and governance.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Their sales team must be doing something right, it might be worth taking the job to learn how they pull it off lol

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The gently caress it does..

As much time as I spend shoring up poo poo that should have been retired 10 years ago, or worse, never should have been adopted if we were included in the first loving place from our lazy rear end programmers, y'all can gently caress right on off with this bullshit.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 24, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

64bit_Dophins posted:

criminals that are rivals with other criminals literally hand over all of this same data to HIBP on a silver platter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yup. They sound immoral and unethical as gently caress. Not sure why you'd want to work there.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup. They sound immoral and unethical as gently caress. Not sure why you'd want to work there.

I gotta get paid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No ethical labor under capitalism

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Farking Bastage posted:

The gently caress it does..

As much time as I spend shoring up poo poo that should have been retired 10 years ago, or worse, never should have been adopted if we were included in the first loving place from our lazy rear end programmers, y'all can gently caress right on off with this bullshit.

VMware and "low cost"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CommieGIR posted:

Please stop emailing me too for sales. We don't need any more tools when I cannot even get management to buy in on implementing good Security policy and governance.

"If you can convince my c-suite to use MFA, then I will buy your stupid tool."

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Martytoof posted:

I haven't placed a cold call in 5 years. Even Bank of America ended their cold calling which tells me that it is officially dead. Thank God.

My SDRs might annoy you though... lol

Biowarfare posted:

criminals that are rivals with other criminals literally hand over all of this same data to HIBP on a silver platter.

Hmmm...

Ynglaur posted:

"If you can convince my c-suite to use MFA, then I will buy your stupid tool."

If I had to guess that's probably the reason they're successful.

They get ex-NSA/cyber security guys on the phone and talk senior leadership types into adopting MFA "the right way" by buying a bunch of licenses they don't need.

John McAfee may be dead but the game never dies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No ethical labor under capitalism

Disagree. I work for a public sector org/crown corp that makes a positive difference and I'm proud of that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

Disagree. I work for a public sector org/crown corp that makes a positive difference and I'm proud of that.

I'm still private sector, but my current company targets government orgs and NGOs for our services and working a ticket for some of them is immensely gratifying.

Some of them not so much, like the dude from a dog rescue who acts like being a charity getting extremely discounted services gets him bumped to the head of the line. Sorry dude, the customers who can make your charity illegal come first

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

So every one in your organization is paid a liveable wage and has excellent benefits and all your contractors do the same? That's pretty rad dude.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Defenestrategy posted:

So every one in your organization is paid a liveable wage and has excellent benefits and all your contractors do the same? That's pretty rad dude.

He works for the Canadian government, apparently, or an attached NGO. I feel like its not unlikely that its a decent org.

Maybe the only one in this foru.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Uh, yes?? Wtf kind of question is this. Yes, of course they are, absolutely. From the call centre temps to positions like mine. That's because I'm in a union that fights for that, and wins. Join a loving union.

RFC2324 posted:

He works for the Canadian government, apparently, or an attached NGO. I feel like its not unlikely that its a decent org.

Maybe the only one in this foru.

BC govt agency, so provincial. Feds are weird in Canada as an employer, glad I don't have to deal with that mess.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Canadian

Ah that explains it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Join a loving union.

lol. If only.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

Unethical because you work for a government which oppresses minorities and perpetuates imperialism. A government which committed genocide. You labor to uphold the technocratic neoliberal order. :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

lol. If only.

What's stopping you?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Unethical because you work for a government which oppresses minorities and perpetuates imperialism. A government which committed genocide. You labor to uphold the technocratic neoliberal order. :)

I don't work for the govt. I hesitate to be too detailed here because I don't want to doxx myself. My org does not use taxpayer funds nor do we take direction from the provincial govt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's stopping you?

In my state specifically:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-work_law

as well as the FYGM attitude of my peers in high paid technology work.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 24, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't work for the govt. I hesitate to be too detailed here because I don't want to doxx myself. My org does not use taxpayer funds nor do we take direction from the provincial govt.

You can't exist in capitalism without contributing to or indirectly upholding some kind of unjust system, sorry. It's not a slight against you, just a fact. No ethical consumption, no ethical labor. That doesn't mean go out and roll coal and work for Raytheon, work a job you're proud of working. But not everyone can work their dream job and everyone has to eat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's stopping you?

I feel like downplaying the colossal effort and risk you put yourself under in order to unionize in the united states is really kind of lame to be honest.

I am happy you are benefiting from the people who struggled before you.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can't exist in capitalism without contributing to or indirectly upholding some kind of unjust system, sorry. It's not a slight against you, just a fact. No ethical consumption, no ethical labor. That doesn't mean go out and roll coal and work for Raytheon, work a job you're proud of working. But not everyone can work their dream job and everyone has to eat.

:actually:

This is some second grade gymnastics your using to justify working for a FAANG. There are literally millions of jobs or there that are doing good by their customers and suppliers without actively stepping over people's basic freedoms if you want to get paid by working for ethically questionable companies you do you, but don't try and rationalize it with whatever the gently caress this is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I feel like downplaying the colossal effort and risk you put yourself under in order to unionize in the united states is really kind of lame to be honest.

I am happy you are benefiting from the people who struggled before you.

You always post the shittiest most passive aggressive takes. I wasn't downplaying anything, dude.

vv understood

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think this is a good topic worth discussing, but if we could try to be a little kinder to each other while doing it, it would be much appreciated.