Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So, one, this was exactly me as a kid if my mom put hydrogen peroxide on my cut, and two, I remember her exclaiming in absolute despair that I should be glad she wasn't using iodine like was used on her when she was a kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 10, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 19, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 9, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 10, 1936)

Mopsy (March 11, 1937)

Up Front (April 22, 1944)

Dark Laughter (July 27, 1946)

Those Were the Days (December 17, 1953)

Wee Pals (September 30, 1965)

Dogbert January 12, 1966

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Doomykins posted:

It has been a fun experiment and better than what was done before but Mark Trail is really beginning to stink. I think Jules needs a writer/editor partner really badly. Just anybody to point out how weird and confusing everything is, or how unsatisfying or impossible it is. Mark Trail now has two non-plots going on that can only end in 100% legal actions where our heroes fail.

1) Cherry ignored the HOA that owns the property who installed decorative shrubs in place of hers. She's going to unleash a tide of invasive wild boars to combat sinister invasive butterfly bushes. I guess we're supposed to knee-jerk say "rich snobby people bad, HOA bad" but even if 100% successful the HOA will just re-plant the same bushes and they're not going to hire the eco-terrorist who destroyed them the first time. I guess this is pure petty revenge.

People keep asserting that there's an HOA involved. I don't think that's ever been said. I think the rich snobby people are busybodies who ripped out Cherry's plants and installed their own.

I'm enjoying nu-Trail. Coherent and reasonable plots are overrated.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, Starring TomBat's Double

Oh boy! Come on in and regale me with stories about your visits to the drug store as a child! Please tell me more about that!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Everything else aside, I'm getting really loving sick and tired of Sarah being portrayed as some sort of child savant who keeps on producing these heartbreaking works of staggering genius.
What is particularly annoying about this is that Terry Beatty hit Sarah with a car to get rid of all that stuff when he took over writing, and now we appear to be going back into it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Safety Dance posted:

People keep asserting that there's an HOA involved. I don't think that's ever been said. I think the rich snobby people are busybodies who ripped out Cherry's plants and installed their own.
:actually:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Haifisch posted:

Squinting at the copyright date, this was printed in 1989. Just to provide some of the context time has eroded away:

Car CD players were introduced in 1984. Cassette players had been a thing since the late 60s.

I can't speak to how common either was at the time(seeing as I'd only be born a few months after this strip :v:), but this definitely speaks to something about Calvin's dad.

I was a few years out of college in 1989.

Cassette decks were available from about 1975 on; the first aftermarket ones were huge and expensive, and would eat a tape if you hit a pothole. Eight-track players were still available, not much larger, and were more robust on lovely roads.

Factory cassette decks were hideously expensive - but they always charged a ton. AM/FM radio was a $400 option. (AM was the basic radio. Radio delete was still a thing too: no radio at all. My Mom's first new car, a bare-bones '81 Civic, had no radio.

So: in the late 70s to the mid-90s, if you had a factory cassette, you paid a ton for it. A decent aftermarket unit would set you back $300 plus installation. Calvin's Dad is closer to my generation than most of you...and there is no way in hell my dad would spring for a cassette - stereo. He was too cheap to get A/C.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RoboRodent posted:

So, one, this was exactly me as a kid if my mom put hydrogen peroxide on my cut, and two, I remember her exclaiming in absolute despair that I should be glad she wasn't using iodine like was used on her when she was a kid!

THOSE WERE THE DAYS ~

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So TomBat's really going forward with a self-insert arc here? He's finally crawled so far up his own rear end that he's slithered back out of his mouth.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Zerilan posted:

So TomBat's really going forward with a self-insert arc here? He's finally crawled so far up his own rear end that he's slithered back out of his mouth.

Compare and contrast:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zerilan posted:

He did one a while ago where he visited the high school and those drat kids just didn't appreciate his genius. It was just some absolutely pathetic whining.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Compare and contrast:

This is the face of mediocrity

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 23-24, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 10-13, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I think if something like that happened at a school here, the main issue would be he forgot his sweater, so they'd probably find him a surplus one to borrow. And that'd be the end of it, a note to the parents likely (make sure your son comes fully clothed).

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is surrounded by philistines.

In my headcanon, adult Petey became an extremely succesful conceptual artist. :3:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

gently caress you and your woe is me author insert bullshit, Lynn Johnston, you hack.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon
Ludicrous. I'd much rather be Cheryl.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

gently caress you.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: blackmail (February 4-10, 2002)

"Fiona I want you to fire the company's founder and CEO and replace him with your stepdad (who doesn't even want the job)."

Fiona's mom is a pretty lovely person, actually. (And, please note, Fiona's main objection to Martha's plan is "If I do this, I'll lose my investment." Awesome.)

Also time to update this again I guess.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RoboRodent posted:

I realize this means I'm a full weirdo, but I like my disinfectants to STING. If I don't feel it, I don't trust it's working.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 10, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 10, 1999)

Garfield Classic (October 10, 1989)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: blackmail (February 4-10, 2002)

"Fiona I want you to fire the company's founder and CEO and replace him with your stepdad (who doesn't even want the job)."

Fiona's mom is a pretty lovely person, actually. (And, please note, Fiona's main objection to Martha's plan is "If I do this, I'll lose my investment." Awesome.)

I've been bothered awhile now for just how flippant Kevin and Kell is about Fiona's parents. Abusive parents aren't funny. They can really mess a kid up for the rest of their life. And the worst possible situation for a kid with lovely parents is for them to get access to a lot of money as a guardian. At that point there's very little recourse a kid has to defend themselves short of just getting legally emancipated. It's incredibly weird that for all their manipulative behavior, it's apparently never occurred to Fiona's parents to try to do that. They just tacitly accept that their thirteen year old daughter has the pursestrings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/23/01

One of the "features" of Rudy Giuliani's mayoralty was a pathological hatred of pet ferrets, including this argument on radio with a ferret lover.

Brenda Starr 9/23-25/46

Smokey Stover 11/23/41

Richard's Poor Almanac is the same fireworks gags as before, just lightly rewritten.

Deathless Deer 7/22-24/43

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This comic is much funnier if you read it as "4.5 metres", as I initially did. He's so happy to have run all the way from the front door to the street, and back again!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 6/23/01

One of the "features" of Rudy Giuliani's mayoralty was a pathological hatred of pet ferrets, including this argument on radio with a ferret lover.

Huh, I finally found something to like about the sleazeball.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 7/22-24/43

"Deer is my best friend who I met about 3 days ago"

"I'm terribly lonely"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
BABA is STABBED

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Some Guy TT posted:

I've been bothered awhile now for just how flippant Kevin and Kell is about Fiona's parents. Abusive parents aren't funny. They can really mess a kid up for the rest of their life. And the worst possible situation for a kid with lovely parents is for them to get access to a lot of money as a guardian. At that point there's very little recourse a kid has to defend themselves short of just getting legally emancipated. It's incredibly weird that for all their manipulative behavior, it's apparently never occurred to Fiona's parents to try to do that. They just tacitly accept that their thirteen year old daughter has the pursestrings.

This comic strip in general has a really poor track record regarding parent-child relationships. Besides Fiona, which you espoused very well above, we have:

Kevin: disowned by his parents for marrying Kell, also his dad is a crook and his mom is MIA for the time being.

Kell: her dad never really approved of her relationship with Kevin, and died before he could change his mind; her mother, though, has mellowed out.

Lindesfarne: has a loving relationship with Kevin, but her other adoptive parent (Angelique) was neglectful and emotionally distant, eventually dropping her like a dead weight when she left Kevin, and has since only cared about Lindesfarne as a prop to get back at Kell. Lindesfarne does have a good relationship with Kell, though.

Rudy: good relationship with Kell, but his dad died trying to impress Kell's parents (because they didn't approve of him); has a grudgingly respectful relationship with Kevin.

Corrie: mom dead in childbirth, adopted by a bunch of scientists to be used as a test subject. Eventually escaped and lived hidden in her boyfriend's house, until she reunited with her dad Ralph, and they have a loving relationship now. (Note that I can't really blame Ralph for giving Corrie up for adoption, he was sixteen when he had her: he was in no way or shape capable of raising a kid back then.)

Mary (Corrie's clone): her parents are extremely controlling.

Bruno: this is going into spoiler territory, but they're extremely emotionally distant and also extremely neglectful, doing the very barest minimum of work required to the point that Bruno basically raised himself; failed to notice a girl living hidden in their son's room for nearly a decade, and (in the future) will fail to notice their son being trans and transitioning under their noses.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 24, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "97 - Jucika's Own Car"

"Jucika As A Model"

"Magánterület = Private area"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think if something like that happened at a school here, the main issue would be he forgot his sweater, so they'd probably find him a surplus one to borrow. And that'd be the end of it, a note to the parents likely (make sure your son comes fully clothed).

This is basically what happened, isn't it? The principal was concerned about Kevin not having a shirt, but didn't really care about the "tattoo."

You're supposed to agree with Ed here, and that's nuts.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 25, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 25, 1945)

This abruptly concludes The Medieval Castle. It's a strange little strip - I get the impression that Foster felt he couldn't commit to a detailed storyline since he didn't know how long it would last. I think the strip would have been stronger if it focused more clearly on the kids and maybe more of the "slice of life" stuff about what it would have been like to live in this era, although to do that accurately would perhaps have required more research than Foster was willing to do. As it is, the strip felt a little scattered to me. Arn and Guy's father never even got a name!

On the plus side, the Allies won the war, paper rationing is over, and Prince Valiant will return to full page size starting tomorrow. :toot:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Medenmath posted:

This is basically what happened, isn't it? The principal was concerned about Kevin not having a shirt, but didn't really care about the "tattoo."

Nah the school called in his mom and she had to leave work. That's why she was so mad and what I meant wouldn't have happened here.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nah the school called in his mom and she had to leave work. That's why she was so mad and what I meant wouldn't have happened here.

Ah, I see what you mean!

As I recall the rules at my own elementary school were to send a kid home if they weren't dressed "appropriately," but that never happened so I don't know what really would have been done in a situation like this. I also attended a Catholic school with a uniform which probably changes things!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

You're supposed to agree with Ed here, and that's nuts.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 25, 1945)

I admit that I like Donardo's chaise longue, those need to become more popular

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Somehow his life has not been the same.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Facts From the World

The Good Innvandrer