Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thanks for helping me out, I actually made something that might be useful for other 4e DMs?

Basically, you can paste monsters from the portable compendium into a google doc, and then press a button, and it'll turn all (well most, it's a little buggy,) of the attack and damage rolls into a string you can just copy paste into Roll20 or wherever. And then on another tab, If you put a number in the right box, It'll give you that many initiative rolls to copy paste into Roll20

It might be better to show, rather then explain it turns this:

into these!

So, whenever I do combat, I just copy/paste my monsters into the sheet, hit the button, and then I don't have to worry about rolling in online games. I just copy paste the exact text and it rolls it inline for me, just like a player macro

Here's a copy of the macro, if anyone knows how to get my script trusted, let me know!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jc2DRgTYgBd8PAWMRw9ViRSdUgtlcVDRiRAAj5w5ikA/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You may have to edit the script if to-hit info isn't public information for your games, in my games I make everyone a GM, and the players are responsible for figuring out when they hit, and then applying the damage to the tokens directly. (I do this by making tokens bars public, and then have the players ADD to the HP, and letting them know when the creature is bloodied / Dead)

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Hi folks,

I've been working on a 4E retroclone for the last few months, called Orcus, and I thought that might be of interest to you!

All the main sections have been drafted now:

• Orcus Rulebook (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Player Options (ancestries, skills, feats, equipment, magic items) (PDF, Markdown)
  • Classes and Powers (kits, classes, prestige paths and epic paths) (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Monsters (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Advanced Options (poisons, diseases, bonds, incantations, advanced combat, backgrounds) (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Open Game License (PDF)

I'd love to receive feedback on the rules themselves and any contributions of game content. At some point, electronic tools like a compendium and a character builder would be great - but I don't even know where we might begin with that!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Also if you have any psions put their character sheets through the shredder.
Not an empty quote.

Controllers are the worst thing about 4e, and a party with three of them sounds hideous.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any suggestions for the opposite? I’ve got one leader, one defender, three strikers, and zero controllers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for the opposite? I’ve got one leader, one defender, three strikers, and zero controllers.

That's the best party lineup to have as a GM because their ability to control enemies (via the Defender) and patch up damage (via the Leader) is limited and probably can't be stretched to always cover all three Strikers. That makeup responds well to MM3-style high damage enemies - what you probably want to do is make sure they can't just all focus fire and be dropping 1-2 monsters per round. Artillery minions + Controller and/or Skirmisher elites so you can force them to deal with threats from multiple directions at once is a staple, and it's always a good idea to put some terrain features in to break them up if they try to blob together.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sanglorian posted:

I'd love to receive feedback on the rules themselves and any contributions of game content. At some point, electronic tools like a compendium and a character builder would be great - but I don't even know where we might begin with that!

minor thing i just noticed at a glance but in the glossary the entry for Prestige Path is a duplicate of Epic Path rather than, presumably, describing a new set of powers and features you get from 11-20

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Not an empty quote.

Controllers are the worst thing about 4e, and a party with three of them sounds hideous.

Being fair, it's only 1 controller (a druid), but we also have a storm sorcerer, a warlord with polearm optimization, and we just picked up a wizard|fighter. So lots of off-control.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 1, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Sanglorian posted:

Hi folks,

The first thing that leaps out at me is alignment. I can't see anywhere in the rules (admittedly, I've only skimmed) that alignment has an effect. I think there's a pretty strong consensus among D&D players that alignment doesn't add anything to the game. I'd suggest ditching it entirely, or replacing it with something like "name three pillars of your character's moral compass, here are some examples".

If you do need to keep good and evil as objective forces of reality, at least cut out the "goblins are evil" line. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but the idea that morality is biologically determined is gross as hell and has no place in anything published this side of the millennium.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Whybird posted:

The first thing that leaps out at me is alignment. I can't see anywhere in the rules (admittedly, I've only skimmed) that alignment has an effect. I think there's a pretty strong consensus among D&D players that alignment doesn't add anything to the game. I'd suggest ditching it entirely, or replacing it with something like "name three pillars of your character's moral compass, here are some examples".

If you do need to keep good and evil as objective forces of reality, at least cut out the "goblins are evil" line. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but the idea that morality is biologically determined is gross as hell and has no place in anything published this side of the millennium.

Alignment didn't have any mechanical effect in 4e either as I recall, so that may be a deliberate choice as a retroclone. I do agree that nothing would really be lost by excising it. My group actually did just that in our 4e games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dwarf74 posted:

Not an empty quote.

I mean technically there's only one controller. It's just that the party has largely consisted of a Druid, Sorcerer, Rouge, and Warlord. Sorcerer takes a smattering of control powers, Rogue rattles and stuns things, oh and the Warlord is using Polearm Momentum to keep everything pinned down. So it's a control heavy party, but only one Controller.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

Whybird posted:

Thanks Whybird, agreed. I'm keeping alignment but I've removed the goblins are evil line.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

minor thing i just noticed at a glance but in the glossary the entry for Prestige Path is a duplicate of Epic Path rather than, presumably, describing a new set of powers and features you get from 11-20

Thanks! Have fixed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stealing this

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm looking at starting back up a 4e campaign which I was running on Roll20, but having seen how well Fantasy Grounds works for it I'm tempted to switch over. However, I understand that getting the 4e content into Fantasy Grounds is pretty difficult, is that the case? I've also heard about Foundry VTT which I don't know much about but might also support 4e. Has anyone played with either/both who can recommend one over the other?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Foundry does maps and tokens better than Fantasy Grounds, in my opinion, and is a better Roll20 in almost every respect. It does not, however, support D&D 4e in any way (currently). If someone were to create a system for 4e (which would require web development skills, since Foundry is a node.js web app), then it may well be the best option for 4e (it's certainly the cheapest if you want things like dynamic lighting).

Fantasy Grounds has support for the 4e system, but does not have rules content. That is to say, it has the skeleton upon which you can add your own feats, powers, skill descriptions, and so forth, but it doesn't have any of the actual content. There is a piece of software which can scour the DDI database for that information and parse it into modules which add that content, but unfortunately the DDI servers are no longer running. Some people have uploaded copies of the modules (though I'm pretty sure sharing them here would get me banned) - if you aren't uncomfortable donning the parrot and eyepatch, they can be found relatively easily.

Between the two, I would currently advise Fantasy Grounds if you have the money (either $40 per player if they want to be able to play in other people's campaigns, or $150 for an ultimate license for the GM) - its support for the 4e mechanics is quite robust, and if all else fails, you can copy-paste what you need from PDFs of the rulebooks with a small amount of effort. Having said that, if and when someone makes a decent 4e system for Foundry, it might be worth going that route instead - it's cheaper, and there's a plugin for sharing PDFs with your players in a way that doesn't let them download them (and is thus not technically piracy).

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Sanglorian posted:

Hi folks,

I've been working on a 4E retroclone for the last few months, called Orcus, and I thought that might be of interest to you!

All the main sections have been drafted now:

• Orcus Rulebook (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Player Options (ancestries, skills, feats, equipment, magic items) (PDF, Markdown)
  • Classes and Powers (kits, classes, prestige paths and epic paths) (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Monsters (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Advanced Options (poisons, diseases, bonds, incantations, advanced combat, backgrounds) (PDF, Markdown)
  • Orcus Open Game License (PDF)

Is there any reason Weapon dice haven't been changed to apply bonuses once per die? This was probably one of the worst things about 4e -- big hits were massive trap options, literally just gimping your character, while multiattacks ruled the day. I've only skimmed the rules, but considering interrupts and reactions still exist, I have to assume the problem of 'if you take anything but attacks that generate extra hits as a Striker, You Are loving Up (TM)' still exists, and it's trivially fixable in a retroclone that doesn't have to burden itself with errataing tons of material that's already been sold in books. There's no point in keeping this particular bit of rules as it is. All it does is punish players who aren't spreadsheeters or math fiends, which is a big design sin.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

hectorgrey posted:

Foundry does maps and tokens better than Fantasy Grounds, in my opinion, and is a better Roll20 in almost every respect. It does not, however, support D&D 4e in any way (currently). If someone were to create a system for 4e (which would require web development skills, since Foundry is a node.js web app), then it may well be the best option for 4e (it's certainly the cheapest if you want things like dynamic lighting).

Fantasy Grounds has support for the 4e system, but does not have rules content. That is to say, it has the skeleton upon which you can add your own feats, powers, skill descriptions, and so forth, but it doesn't have any of the actual content. There is a piece of software which can scour the DDI database for that information and parse it into modules which add that content, but unfortunately the DDI servers are no longer running. Some people have uploaded copies of the modules (though I'm pretty sure sharing them here would get me banned) - if you aren't uncomfortable donning the parrot and eyepatch, they can be found relatively easily.

Between the two, I would currently advise Fantasy Grounds if you have the money (either $40 per player if they want to be able to play in other people's campaigns, or $150 for an ultimate license for the GM) - its support for the 4e mechanics is quite robust, and if all else fails, you can copy-paste what you need from PDFs of the rulebooks with a small amount of effort. Having said that, if and when someone makes a decent 4e system for Foundry, it might be worth going that route instead - it's cheaper, and there's a plugin for sharing PDFs with your players in a way that doesn't let them download them (and is thus not technically piracy).

The FG scraper now works on the offline compendium which is very not hard to find and scrape. It's also even easier to find how to make your own FG modules if you jump on discord and ask around.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Anyone know of a good source for interesting tactical combats, either for inspiration or to lift verbatim? I'm running my new-to-4e friends through a campaign which is explicitly "light story, light role-play, heavy on tactical combat", so I'm not worried about adapting backstory or anything, just combats that are fun and dynamic.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lord Of Texas posted:

Anyone know of a good source for interesting tactical combats, either for inspiration or to lift verbatim? I'm running my new-to-4e friends through a campaign which is explicitly "light story, light role-play, heavy on tactical combat", so I'm not worried about adapting backstory or anything, just combats that are fun and dynamic.

Sorry, I forget the name, but there were the D&D4e one shots that they would run at the local comics and games shops, that, by virtue of being pick up games every week with new players, were mainly just 2-3 combat encounters strung together. I’m sure there are some gems in there that could be reskinned to match your game.

e: Living Forgotten Realms appears to be the name of the series.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 20, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It was literally D&D Encounters right?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sweet, thank you! Looks like all of the LFR content is archived here: https://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/

(Content being archived is something I've learned not to take for granted with 4e, so many broken links...)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think you're thinking of Lair Assaults, huge superencounters with the XP budget of 3-4 regular encounters. Far as I recall they were intended for experienced players.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think you're thinking of Lair Assaults, huge superencounters with the XP budget of 3-4 regular encounters. Far as I recall they were intended for experienced players.

Yeah, probably this. I started 4e with D&D Encounters, and those are definitely for newer players, usually just a brief bit of role play and a fight that wasn't all that hard. Back in the day, we definitely struggled more with those Lair Assaults than regular Encounters session.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Yeah, looks like Encounters is what I was thinking of

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Hey thread! Does anyone have any thoughts on this as the hit effect for an at-will attack for a level 2 controller?

Swarm of Rats: Melee 2. Attack: d20+5 vs Reflex.
Hit: The target is slowed and on their turn, the Garbage Elemental may choose their move action, save ends both effects. Unlike most forced movement, this movement provokes opportunity attacks.

I was thinking of adding ongoing damage too but that might be too much given the elemental is already going to be making its victims eat opportunity attacks from its minions as they stumble round its lair trying to pull rats off themselves.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thematically it feels like that should go against Fortitude more than Reflex.

Save ends is pretty good for a level 2 at-will effect, especially if it can indirectly trigger multiple opportunity attacks. I would probably limit that to "end of the elemental's next turn" at least for the move effect. "On the target's next turn, the elemental can choose its move action."

Can the elemental make the target drop prone or run? Both have consequences that might be even more effective than having the target eat opportunity attacks. Keep in mind that "slowed" also limits the move action the elemental chooses for the target, although I realize you may have included that on purpose to limit the effect's power.

You should probably specify at what point in the target's turn the elemental gets to direct its move action. And whether that's at the start or end of the turn could actually also have pretty major implications for the power of that effect. Moving a defender away before they can attack is excellent tactics but has a larger impact than just the intended OA magnetism.

All in all you have to specifically define a lot of edge cases around this, maybe it's a good idea to just say "the elemental slides the target X squares, unlike normal forced movement this does provoke OAs", or giving the minions the special ability to make OAs against force-moved PCs, or having the directed move occur immediately much like directed attacks on allies do.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 21, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
That makes sense, yeah. I wanted to make it an ongoing thing from a controllery perspective since just sliding a single target two squares once per turn feels a bit... uncontrollery, I guess? Maybe the answer is to make it a close blast targetting Fortitude instead. (I'd initially thought of it as the players ducking out of the way of the swarming rats, but having them just ignore them feels more badass.)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Let me tell you about the time my controller heavy party stopped a boss from playing the game by slowing, proning, dazing, and then just pushing him back 3 squares so that he could never get in range of the objective.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This session I found out just how funny Goliath Fighter can be by pulling off Total Defense + Glowering Threat + Stone's Endurance to completely ruin a round for the enemy mobs

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

There doesn't happen to be comprehensive list of all the different player options and what books they're in, does there?

Are the Powers books necessary? Essentials?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Opinions on that diverge. I'd say neither are necessary, but the powers books are good if you want more options, while the Essentials books are not.

Rule of thumb, Powers add options to existing classes, mostly providing support for new archetypes (like a ranged weapon warlord or a dual-wielding barbarian). Essentials add new classes that follow a whole different design philosophy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's 'Essentials' as in "boiled down to their essence", not 'necessary'. Essentials classes are basically just extremely simplified versions of basic classes. If that's not something that appeals to you, then no, you don't need Essentials.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There are two Essentials books that actually are pretty Essential, but they’re being forgotten because they don’t have character classes in them. The Rules Compendium is the best single source for 4e game rules in book form, and the Monster Vault is the best resource for classic monster stat blocks using the revised monster stats.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

There are two Essentials books that actually are pretty Essential, but they’re being forgotten because they don’t have character classes in them. The Rules Compendium is the best single source for 4e game rules in book form, and the Monster Vault is the best resource for classic monster stat blocks using the revised monster stats.
I actually forgot those were Essentials products. Yeah, they're fantastic, and actually essential, especially if you're playing in person.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Devorum posted:

There doesn't happen to be comprehensive list of all the different player options and what books they're in, does there?

Are the Powers books necessary? Essentials?

Rules Compendium, Monster Vault, Monster Manual 3, PHBs 1-3 and all the Power books are what I would consider essential to running the game in general. You probably also want the Forgotten Realms and Eberron Player's Guides as they contain several races and a class each along with feat support (don't let people take dragonmarked feats outside of an actual Eberron campaign, though).

There's also some nice-to-have but not essential stuff: DMG1 and 2 for just, general discussions about DMing the game and ways you can modify it (most of the rules text is in RC already in some form or another), and MM1 and 2 for monster power ideas (several monsters got reprinted with fixed stats in MV, but you can also just use MM3 on a business card to update stats on MM1/2 monsters if you want to run them directly).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 24, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks. We're finally getting ready to start the 4E game my group asked for. Thankfully, I found the offline tools so that'll be a huge help.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Devorum posted:

Thanks. We're finally getting ready to start the 4E game my group asked for. Thankfully, I found the offline tools so that'll be a huge help.

Yeah, the real answer is to not play without the Character Builder. funin.space is also an invaluable tool to have on hand.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boba Pearl posted:

Let me tell you about the time my controller heavy party stopped a boss from playing the game by slowing, proning, dazing, and then just pushing him back 3 squares so that he could never get in range of the objective.

You'll have to give a bit more details for me to pick out which fight this was Boba.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was thinking of the giant creeping mold that made sick people explode.

Actually, I have a question for the thread, my player's have dedicated their builds to maximum CC, and it's very effective, I want to provide a challenge while also respecting that they've built their builds to be very good at this thing. So like, I feel if I give my enemies the ability to just shrug it off once or twice, I'm invalidating those choices my players made. At the same time, if I throw 100s of minions at them with very high damage, they'll die super quick, as they only have one or two people with abilities that'll pop a ton of minions. I recognize the weakness, but I'm having trouble really feeling out how hard I want to push into it. We're level 10, so it feels unfair now that' they've locked in 10 levels worth of stuff to start punishing them for not diversifying more, as I feel that's not the fun part of making a DND 4e combat character.

I've tried inflating HP values to the max, but it becomes a very damage race kind of game, either they keep it locked down enough to get their nova's off, or the enemy survives 4 rounds and then haymakers the party into oblivion, normally chunking a player or two. I wanted to speed that process up, so that it's "Can you chunk the enemy in 2 turns, or will he chunk you in 2 turns."

I feel like there's no fair way to do this, without taking options away from the players. Right now, some stuff I'm floating is:

Enemies have an ability that lets them save on ALL conditions at the beginning of their turn

Enemies can split their HP, and create a copy of themselves, that isn't effected by those conditions

Enemies can transfer conditions onto each other

A Leader that can cleanse conditions 2x per encounter

Enemies that link with someone, and any conditions applied to that enemy, is also applied to the linked player

Which of these would you consider end game boss stuff, and which do you think would be more appropriate on a standard / elite enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I was thinking of the giant creeping mold that made sick people explode.

Actually, I have a question for the thread, my player's have dedicated their builds to maximum CC, and it's very effective, I want to provide a challenge while also respecting that they've built their builds to be very good at this thing. So like, I feel if I give my enemies the ability to just shrug it off once or twice, I'm invalidating those choices my players made. At the same time, if I throw 100s of minions at them with very high damage, they'll die super quick, as they only have one or two people with abilities that'll pop a ton of minions. I recognize the weakness, but I'm having trouble really feeling out how hard I want to push into it. We're level 10, so it feels unfair now that' they've locked in 10 levels worth of stuff to start punishing them for not diversifying more, as I feel that's not the fun part of making a DND 4e combat character.

I've tried inflating HP values to the max, but it becomes a very damage race kind of game, either they keep it locked down enough to get their nova's off, or the enemy survives 4 rounds and then haymakers the party into oblivion, normally chunking a player or two. I wanted to speed that process up, so that it's "Can you chunk the enemy in 2 turns, or will he chunk you in 2 turns."

I feel like there's no fair way to do this, without taking options away from the players. Right now, some stuff I'm floating is:

Enemies have an ability that lets them save on ALL conditions at the beginning of their turn

Enemies can split their HP, and create a copy of themselves, that isn't effected by those conditions

Enemies can transfer conditions onto each other

A Leader that can cleanse conditions 2x per encounter

Enemies that link with someone, and any conditions applied to that enemy, is also applied to the linked player

Which of these would you consider end game boss stuff, and which do you think would be more appropriate on a standard / elite enemy?
I especially like enemies that transfer conditions to each other. Some kind of hive-mind creatures or somesuch, where the strong ones can pass all of their conditions onto a nearby minion or weaker enemy at the start of their turn. Or other 'consumable' effect-clears, where removing the effect still imparts some kind of cost or penalty on the enemy, like having the option to clear effects on it at a small HP cost (about equal to the damage they'd deal with an MBA, I think?), or with a stacking -1 penalty per effect to attack rolls that turn. Or go with the old MMO standby, and have big pillars or crystals or whatever that make the boss immune to most conditions until they're destroyed. (This one keeps him from being dazed. This one keeps him from being immobilized. This one... etc. etc. etc.)

The key is not invalidating their choices, just changing them. Ideally, they end up with the interesting decision of "do we clear out the chaff/etc, so our effects stick, or do we just ignore it and focus on damaging the big guy?"

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 25, 2021