Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is literally the site that birthed 4chan you dingus

I never said I wasn't an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love seeing friends that are nurses posting in Manitobans for Change on a post relating not-getting vaxxed to being a Jew in WW2 and Black people throughout history. Holy gently caress. Time to sever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmbo we really are giving our all trying to regain our crown as Worst Province.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It works on a rotation.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arcsquad12 posted:

It works on a rotation.

Its more of a quantum thing, the worst province is whatever we are observing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It works on a rotation.

Ontario -> Alberta -> Manitoba -> repeat from start

Occasionally Saskatchewan reminds us they exist by doing something truly awful or dumb but then fade back into the bushes like Homer.

Also holy poo poo if I hear one more person cry that I cant bump their vaccine shot up before a bunch of our first shot patients because they have a trip coming up Im going to just walk across the street to the LCBO and finish the rest of my shift crying into a bottle of whisky.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

I love seeing friends that are nurses posting in Manitobans for Change on a post relating not-getting vaxxed to being a Jew in WW2 and Black people throughout history. Holy gently caress. Time to sever.

Yeah, definitely sever, genocide denial is a strict no-go.

And, make no mistake: that's what that argument is. If you say that not being vaxxed is like being a Jew in Nazi Germany, you are literally a full-blown Holocaust denier, full stop, and you deserve to be treated as one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Furnaceface posted:

Occasionally Saskatchewan reminds us they exist by doing something truly awful or dumb but then fade back into the bushes like Homer.

Also holy poo poo if I hear one more person cry that I cant bump their vaccine shot up before a bunch of our first shot patients because they have a trip coming up Im going to just walk across the street to the LCBO and finish the rest of my shift crying into a bottle of whisky.

But the nonrefundable tickets were $20 cheaper what would you have me do???

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hey wow, this is just like the many times indigenous protestors have blocked highways right? The government response doesn't really seem to be the same though...I wonder why.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh God Kieran Moore can actually speak clearly and coherently. It will be so nice when he takes over and Dr. Williams fucks off to cough and grunt his way through speeches somewhere else.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1408083245162536964?s=19

Everything is loving horrible!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This country is probably full of this. And the pope and his child fuckers are digging their heels in.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The TRC estimate of 3200 deaths is starting to look obscenely optimistic.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

This country is probably full of this. And the pope and his child fuckers are digging their heels in.

We don’t get to shift blame to them. We were the ones going door to door dragging them to these hell holes.

Canada is illegitimate

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

We don’t get to shift blame to them. We were the ones going door to door dragging them to these hell holes.

Canada is illegitimate

Plenty of blame to go around here.

quote:

Delorme said there may have at one point been markers for the graves. He said the Roman Catholic church, which oversaw the cemetery, may have removed markers at some point in the 1960s.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Jesus loving christ.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

There were 139 residential schools. Many, many more graves to find.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Jetfire posted:

Plenty of blame to go around here.

Yes but our political apparatus is going to scapegoat the church in an attempt to do nothing about this.

We can’t control Rome. We can try to do something about Ottawa

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
No argument there!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

vyelkin posted:

The TRC estimate of 3200 deaths is starting to look obscenely optimistic.

That was based on recorded deaths. Many of the bodies in those graves will have been recorded, since this is an abandoned graveyard. But likely a good number of them will not.

On that topic, I really hope all the people perfomatively wailing about the tragedy of this on twitter and facebook will realize that all this was already known, that if you read the TRC report these discoveries should not comeas a surprise, and that, perhaps most importantly, we still haven't made right with the survivors. Like, it's not all the people who made it out, reporting on the lasting gried and trauma that matters, it's a shock headline about x number of bodies, which people project into the image of a pile of dead children.

Maybe I'm just burned out on this sort of public, performative grief from my fellow settlers, but I can help but feel cynical that the framing generating sympathy is the one evoking mass killings and dead children, shocking images that will stay with the public for a little while, before fading out and letting people get back to normal. If you read the testimony of the survivors of residential schools, you shouldn't need these mass grave headlines to feel sad. Hell, I'm not even sure feeling sad is the right response anymore. I'm just so tired of seeing people engage in this cathartic wailing on behald of indigenous people, and then move on with their lives. Especially when these same people are much less sympathetic to the poor Inuit you see in Ottawa. This is not to say that I think the First Nations undertaking this investiagtion are wrong, I just don't trust the reaction to it by the public. I don't think it will change things.

And yeah, tons of comments about how this was the Church alone, and not the policy of the imperialist, colonialist state we still exist in, that is still to this day pursuing policies who's explicit goal is to sever indigenous connection to the land to allow for resource exploitation.

E: But yes, for gently caress's sake don't celebrate Canada Day. Just enjoy the day off and/or go join a protest.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I can understand the seemingly performative aspect of it, it's a psychological defence mechanism. The tangible evidence is a higher mental bar to clear, and as soon as they realize it they want to shift blame to not be responsible.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Honestly I don't see much point in chastising people for being aware of this until recently. Most people aren't going to go and read the TRC report, and the initial reporting on it was overly focused on the controversy over whether it was a genocide or not. Until very recently, all of this stuff was either downplayed or covered up completely when it came to mainstream media or education.

People definitely don't deserve any credit or recognition for finally starting to come to terms with this, but hostility about not recognizing it earlier for the average person who was genuinely uninformed or unaware of the scale is pointless at best and an empty exercise in demonstrating moral superiority at worst.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Awareness of an issue is never a bad thing. I also find social media outrage irritating but it's less about it being "performative" in this case and more about how all outrage on social media regardless of the given issue feels hollow compared to proper activism. It's too easy to like and share images online and say you've done your part compared to what could actually be accomplished by pressuring councilors and MLAs and MPs at their place of work or bucking government efforts altogether and joining a people's movement.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yes but our political apparatus is going to scapegoat the church in an attempt to do nothing about this.

We can’t control Rome. We can try to do something about Ottawa

The Catholic church weaseled it's way out of reparations, and should rightfully be pressured into rectifying that. And I think if the government actually did go after them beyond a few Trudeau quips, it would be a good thing. Eg Cut off diplomatic ties with Holy See until they pay up, with interest. But I don't think anything like that is going to happen, it's just going to be "apology pls"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Awareness of an issue is never a bad thing. I also find social media outrage irritating but it's less about it being "performative" in this case and more about how all outrage on social media regardless of the given issue feels hollow compared to proper activism. It's too easy to like and share images online and say you've done your part compared to what could actually be accomplished by pressuring councilors and MLAs and MPs at their place of work or bucking government efforts altogether and joining a people's movement.

Pressure them to do what, exactly? Give the land back?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
IIRC, the French state seized church property during the revolution and used it to pay off their debts. Let's do that.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh God Kieran Moore can actually speak clearly and coherently. It will be so nice when he takes over and Dr. Williams fucks off to cough and grunt his way through speeches somewhere else.

He was a really good Public Health Chief for Kingston, I'm hoping he can work in this government without too much interference from the premier's office.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Starks posted:

The Catholic church weaseled it's way out of reparations, and should rightfully be pressured into rectifying that. And I think if the government actually did go after them beyond a few Trudeau quips, it would be a good thing. Eg Cut off diplomatic ties with Holy See until they pay up, with interest. But I don't think anything like that is going to happen, it's just going to be "apology pls"

Pay reparations, drop legal challenges, actually take some responsibility instead of playing pass the parcel with the catholic church.

I'm more aligned with telling government to gently caress off and laying evidence at their feet rather than hoping they grow a conscience on their own.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Losing tax free status and payment of all taxes, criminal charges for murder and kidnapping of children. Just a few minor things to start with.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Starks posted:

clean drinking water would be a nice start

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

And dealing more broadly with the youth suicide crisis on reserves and in the north. It's not like Canada has stopped killing kids.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Muscle Tracer posted:

We had a few days of a boil water advisory in Winnipeg and people reacted like we were being carpet-bombed (*) and there were think pieces from "concerned mothers" about "the water isn't crystal clear, I am very very very worried" editorials appearing in the media for months afterwards.

(*) and of course people also panic purchased truckloads of bottled water from Costco and re-sold it at mark up

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Furnaceface posted:

don't sleep on new brunswick!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Maritimes erasure continues

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Muscle Tracer posted:

Pave the road and truck it in?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Probably be cheaper to just build treatment facilities on site. I think the main problem is that it's very hard to find workers to operate the plants, and training the locals to do it is impossible because racism or something

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Yeah the more I read, the worse it gets. Canada really took the crimes against Native children to heart...

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Breaking up depressing First Nations chat, here's some news from the Coldwar/Airpower thread related to the Canadian military.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Defense Watch Watch

So this is fortunately just dumb and embarrassing as opposed to nightmarish and awful.

So the Canadian military has been trying to get its feet wet with information warfare, and thus far has not exactly covered itself in honor. First it lied about wolves in Nova Scotia. Then it...conducted a surveillance operation on the black lives matter political movement. (This is one case where I can give the CF the benefit of the doubt; it could have been like those "plans" that war colleges do for practice, like the US invading Canada, IE an exercise where the target was as innocuous as possible. On the other hand, racism. Hell, considering PM Trudeau contributed some money, maybe the idea was to look for blackmail material (pardon the pun) to put the brakes on the fed ruining the Canadian officers rape and coverup club.)

But surprise, the CF didn't know that all of these things were illegal, though the illegality appears to be that "the pols didn't approve it." Which seems a mite convenient, considering another project they were working on was

quote:

quote:
Last year the branch launched a controversial plan that would have allowed military public affairs officers to use propaganda to change attitudes and behaviours of Canadians as well as collect and analyze information from the public’s social media accounts.

[...]

The plan was circulated at National Defence headquarters in draft form and would have seen staff move from traditional government methods of communicating with the public [ed note: you know, lies, stonewalling, and silence] to a more aggressive strategy of using information warfare and influence tactics on Canadians.

[...]

The initiative, overseen by Brig. Gen. Jay Janzen, was part of a shift at National Defence headquarters to what was dubbed “the weaponization of public affairs.”

Which is clearly something the DND would be all for what with people still not agreeing that all their procurement programs are fine and sex crime isn't a problem in the Canadian forces

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Not catty enough to be Frank Magazine, but too objective to be David Pugliese

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pay reparations, drop legal challenges, actually take some responsibility instead of playing pass the parcel with the catholic church.

I'm more aligned with telling government to gently caress off and laying evidence at their feet rather than hoping they grow a conscience on their own.

I actually didn't realize the government was still fighting further reparations after Kamloops. Absolutely insane how the PM can say whatever he wants about how sorry he is for genocide while one of his ministers fights reconciliation in court. https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/reparations-residential-school-1.6050501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Starks posted:

I dunno man, maybe they could do the remaining 90% of the calls to action in the TRC for starters.

I don't know that there could ever be an end goal, but I'm picturing something like honoring every treaty that was made or reparations for cases where those treaties are unrecoverable at this point. Actually fixing the reservations that we forced them onto. Disbanding the RCMP. Realistically treating them with the respect that a sovereign nation is due.

Will any of that happen? It's not looking good.