Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ciaphas posted:

The thing I like about Oxygen Not Included most is the fluid physics and using machinery to control that and the otherwise-hostile environment. Things like electrolyzing water into oxygen to pressurize your home base, keeping it cool with just-above-freezing piped water, setting up steam turbine chambers, doing stupid things with active volcanoes and heat transfer mechanics to boil oil into petroleum for free, etc etc.

The thing I hate about Oxygen Not Included is the stupid little bastard dupes themselves. Managing their schedules, keeping them from burying themselves or peeing in the water supply or burning to death in a sauna, so on - totally uninteresting to me.

Is there another game where I can have my cake and eat it too? Games like Factorio & Satisfactory, while good, aren't quite what I'm thinking of. (drat if I can elucidate the difference though :argh:)

Rimworld is probably as close as you'll get. I don't think it is as charming but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Granted I've only watched videos, but Rimworld seemed like the opposite of what I want, with a heavier-seeming focus on the little dumbasses than even ONI. Maybe I'm wrong?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

RimWorld is my favorite game, but no it probably isn't what you are looking for. It is entirely about your pawns and the pawns that exist in the world. There is no system building, which seems like what you are after.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If I'm guessing right, and I might be biased because it's something I've been looking for, is you want something like factorio but it uses people instead of conveyor belts and robot arms? Instead of building a base for yourself to achieve some solo aim, you're building up a colony for other beings to live in and maybe achieve some goal, but it's not about dealing with the little shits themselves. They just kinda do what they're supposed to do and they exist more as a labor force and a driving force for setting up things like food and water and such, but are otherwise not really a game focus.

If so I haven't found such a game and I don't think it exists. :banjo:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It does its called factory town, and maybe autobots or something like that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Surviving Mars can be very hands off with the people, you manage the infrastructure and development.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Industries of Titan is a new game kinda like that, but it's more of a city builder/management. You have little guys but your involvement with them is small, behind brutally reconfiguring them from 'citizens' to 'employees' in a 'completely voluntary' process which removes their need to sleep, rest, or do anything but work themselves to the bone for you.

exquisite tea posted:

Ghost of Tsushima has a very refined presentation but it's still an open world Assassins Creed game at its heart. You ride a horse, you clear forts, you do sidequests for people, you collect junk to craft into more junk, you do random activities like skinny dip and think about your dad for skill points.

Will it still work if I think about your dad instead?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Surviving Mars can be very hands off with the people, you manage the infrastructure and development.

It's easier to do dependent on your starting country, but you can also spend years building up the entire infrastructure of your colony with drones and fully terraform Mars before you bring in any colonists, if you want to.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Those suggestions look interesting and worth me checking out in their own right, but the focus looks more distant than I meant to describe. The citizens there seem like more of an abstracted system than individuals.

But rereading their post I think Ciaphas was looking for something different again. Sort of like... the systems of ONI but without the colony management. Factorio but with more physics trickery/puzzly/discovery-based gameplay than raw logistics and production chains?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The whole thing about ONI is that the entire game and all of the systems and involved are centered around the dupes and keeping them alive. If you remove that element, you're just left with a factory that serves no purpose other than "make factory bigger", which is a big reason why I bounced hard off of games like Factorio.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Phigs posted:

But rereading their post I think Ciaphas was looking for something different again. Sort of like... the systems of ONI but without the colony management. Factorio but with more physics trickery/puzzly/discovery-based gameplay than raw logistics and production chains?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The whole thing about ONI is that the entire game and all of the systems and involved are centered around the dupes and keeping them alive. If you remove that element, you're just left with a factory that serves no purpose other than "make factory bigger", which is a big reason why I bounced hard off of games like Factorio.
These're both right I think. ONI without the dupes would be a little hollow, but at the same time "ONI but without the colony management" is exactly what I was thinking of. building a big working machine, that isn't just boiling down to assembly line efficiency / ratios / whatever.

I don't give much toss about building rooms or farms or schedules or general colony management, but getting poo poo like this working turns my crank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YddtS8ZKbIE&t=202s
(tldr: Crude comes up the pipes, falls into a chamber heated by magma conducting through steel, converts to petroleum at 400c+, and flows back up and around the crude oil pipes to a lower chamber to be pumped out, preheating the incoming crude along the way to speed up the process)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 22, 2021

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I've been enjoying playing Total War: Warhammer 2 with a friend friend and was looking for a game similar to it to enjoy on my own. I enjoy the expanding my territory, taking over territory, fighting over territory, building my army and fighting battles part. The only part I'm not super into is the diplomacy but maybe that's just the limited scope of it. What are some fairly beginner friendly games similar to this?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

These're both right I think. ONI without the dupes would be a little hollow, but at the same time "ONI but without the colony management" is exactly what I was thinking of. building a big working machine, that isn't just boiling down to assembly line efficiency / ratios / whatever.

I don't give much toss about building rooms or farms or schedules or general colony management, but getting poo poo like this working turns my crank.
(tldr: Crude comes up the pipes, falls into a chamber heated by magma conducting through steel, converts to petroleum at 400c+, and flows back up and around the crude oil pipes to a lower chamber to be pumped out, preheating the incoming crude along the way to speed up the process)
Yeah OK I think I know the itch you're trying to scratch. SpaceChem is probably the genre in its most distilled form.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xeras posted:

I've been enjoying playing Total War: Warhammer 2 with a friend friend and was looking for a game similar to it to enjoy on my own. I enjoy the expanding my territory, taking over territory, fighting over territory, building my army and fighting battles part. The only part I'm not super into is the diplomacy but maybe that's just the limited scope of it. What are some fairly beginner friendly games similar to this?

The entire Total War series

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

Yeah OK I think I know the itch you're trying to scratch. SpaceChem is probably the genre in its most distilled form.

I didn't even think of puzzle games, but I think you might be onto something.

I've played most every Zachtronics game, but never completed any - usually due to a combination of other things competing for my ADHD attentions, and just plain rising difficulty. Maybe it's time I changed that. Thanks for the idea!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Xeras posted:

Heroes of might and magic?

Age of wonders 3?

Literally all total war games I guess

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for games with a good single player story campaign(s).

The genre doesn't matter. I've discovered I like everything so long as it is possible to make consistent progress, easy to start the game, play, save and exit, and the story is good. I do like something where I am able to start the game, make some progress (finish a quest, get an item, complete a mission), save and exit. Also, I have a tendency, though improving, to overthink and min-max things, so not too OCD/completionist triggering is a benefit too. Older games are also no problem.

To illustrate, I dislike most Roguelikes because they have little story and dying means back to zero. However, I loved Hades because it has a nice story and each run you improve somewhat (gain a small upgrade). Also, it is straightforward, little hidden collectibles or stuff to permanently miss. Similarly, I like RTS games with a good story campaign. Each mission accomplished is done, and often, you can save and stop the game whenever you want. Likewise, plenty of RPG games fit the bill, though sometimes they don't have handy save features or include missable stuff. What I liked less was, for instance, Subnautica. A good game but a bit too much 'work'.

Some of the games I've enjoyed:

The Witcher 3 (though mildly OCD/completionist triggering)
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (very straightforward)
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Dragon Age 1 and Dragon Age Inquisition (though mildly OCD/completionist triggering)
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
Tyranny
Starcraft 2
Supreme Commander
Warhammer 2: Total War
Hand of Fate
Mass Effect
Warcraft 3

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe check out shapez.io, I haven’t played it myself but I’ve had it wishlisted forever and just got a notification that it’s on sale. It looks like an abstracted Factorio with an emphasis on packaging and reusing solutions

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kalenden posted:

The genre doesn't matter. I've discovered I like everything so long as it is possible to make consistent progress, easy to start the game, play, save and exit, and the story is good. I do like something where I am able to start the game, make some progress (finish a quest, get an item, complete a mission), save and exit. Also, I have a tendency, though improving, to overthink and min-max things, so not too OCD/completionist triggering is a benefit too. Older games are also no problem.

To illustrate, I dislike most Roguelikes because they have little story and dying means back to zero. However, I loved Hades because it has a nice story and each run you improve somewhat (gain a small upgrade). Also, it is straightforward, little hidden collectibles or stuff to permanently miss. Similarly, I like RTS games with a good story campaign. Each mission accomplished is done, and often, you can save and stop the game whenever you want. Likewise, plenty of RPG games fit the bill, though sometimes they don't have handy save features or include missable stuff. What I liked less was, for instance, Subnautica. A good game but a bit too much 'work'.

Some of the games I've enjoyed:

The Witcher 3 (though mildly OCD/completionist triggering)
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (very straightforward)
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Dragon Age 1 and Dragon Age Inquisition (though mildly OCD/completionist triggering)
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
Tyranny
Starcraft 2
Supreme Commander
Warhammer 2: Total War
Hand of Fate
Mass Effect
Warcraft 3

Yakuza: Like a Dragon's story ended up being better than I expected. Also Hellblade was surprisingly good.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Kalenden posted:

Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun
Desperados III

Both are from the same studio and extremely good. Desperados has slightly better gameplay, Shadow Tactics has a better story and will likely have a very big discount in the upcoming steam sales.

edit: Chrono Trigger might also be interesting for you.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Boba Pearl posted:

It does its called factory town, and maybe autobots or something like that.

Autonauts😀 And that could work. Just be sure to get the auto recharge mod.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kalenden posted:

Disco Elysium
Outer Wilds
Tales from the Borderlands
Ace Combat 7
Bastion
Transistor
Pyre
Wandersong
Unavowed
Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
Celeste
Chicory: A Colorful Tale
The Talos Principle
Later Alligator
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Frog Detective
Gris
Return of the Obra Dinn
Alien: Isolation
Omensight
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Memoria
Eliza
428 Shibuya Scramble
AI: The Somnium Files

Play
Apr 25, 2006

People are probably gonna kill me for this but 2014's Thief has a good single player campaign and generous save locations and is a cool world besides. Difficulty slider means you can just be along for the ride or make it pretty interesting with extremely aware and deadly guards.

Game got a lot of poo poo, some for good reason, but it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. It's a good story with nice methodical gameplay and an interesting world. I often start it up, play for 20 or 30 minutes and may not even finish a mission in that time, then save and quit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't even think of puzzle games, but I think you might be onto something.

I've played most every Zachtronics game, but never completed any - usually due to a combination of other things competing for my ADHD attentions, and just plain rising difficulty. Maybe it's time I changed that. Thanks for the idea!
I thought I was in the management games thread so I was a bit cagier than I needed to be, but yes it sounds like you want things that encourage you to be clever rather than profitable. Limited parts you need to work around or reuse as much as possible, that kind of thing. Where you can reconfigure the entire thing to eliminate one extra OR gate and then sit back and watch it run for a bit feeling justifiably smug. So very zachtronics.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 23, 2021

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kalenden posted:

Titanfall 2
13 Sentinels
Resident Evil 2

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ciaphas posted:

The thing I like about Oxygen Not Included most is the fluid physics and using machinery to control that and the otherwise-hostile environment. Things like electrolyzing water into oxygen to pressurize your home base, keeping it cool with just-above-freezing piped water, setting up steam turbine chambers, doing stupid things with active volcanoes and heat transfer mechanics to boil oil into petroleum for free, etc etc.

The thing I hate about Oxygen Not Included is the stupid little bastard dupes themselves. Managing their schedules, keeping them from burying themselves or peeing in the water supply or burning to death in a sauna, so on - totally uninteresting to me.

Is there another game where I can have my cake and eat it too? Games like Factorio & Satisfactory, while good, aren't quite what I'm thinking of. (drat if I can elucidate the difference though :argh:)

Dwarf Fortress might actually the answer here lol

especially with one of the mods/hacks that automates dwarf task-assignment even further than the base game does

Ciaphas posted:

okay with this for additional context i'm going to change my answer to also be SpaceChem, in particular it has a free play mode that might be exactly what you want

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Hwurmp posted:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

I still reinstall and give this a playthrough once every year or so, it's just such a novel way of mixing FPS and storytelling, with a dash of RPG mechanics on top.

*Edit*

Come to think of it, it's just about time for the yearly playthrough...

AG3 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 23, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

can confirm Call of Juarez Gunslinger absolutely kicks rear end, should have been way more popular than it was, but c'est la vie

I was re-reading the answers to my inquiry from yesterday, and noticed the Industries of Titan suggestion. That looks pretty neat-o too, and Danny B music is a plus. SpaceChem was a drat good answer too, though working my way through the story is making my brain hurt in the usual Zachtronics way :v:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Ciaphas posted:

SpaceChem was a drat good answer too, though working my way through the story is making my brain hurt in the usual Zachtronics way :v:

Opus Magnum is a newer Zachtronics game with similar mechanics to SpaceChem if you find it hits the right spot, too.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Kalenden posted:

You might like the Dishonored series if you don't mind stealth games (though you don't actually need to be stealthy if you don't want to). One feature you might like is that you have an item called the heart which tells you where all the major upgrades are, so you don't need to comb every nook and cranny of the map unless you want to find every last gold coin or something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

You might like the Dishonored series if you don't mind stealth games (though you don't actually need to be stealthy if you don't want to). One feature you might like is that you have an item called the heart which tells you where all the major upgrades are, so you don't need to comb every nook and cranny of the map unless you want to find every last gold coin or something.

Immortals Phenyx Rising or whatever its called might be appropriate here. Tons of stuff to do and collect, none of it super far from anything else so easy to make progress in a short block of time. Fun little vignettes about the Greek gods in missions, even side missions.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr is 75% off. Anyone have any opinions?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oldstench posted:

The gameplay is fun but gets old very quickly

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oldstench posted:

There are better 40k games and better ARPGs but it's a decent enough entry to both categories if the combination sounds appealing. 75% off is a reasonable price point, I had enough fun to cover that.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Oldstench posted:

The characters are perfectly written and the voice lines are well delivered for the 40k setting. Really gets you in the mood to go crush endless waves of Chaos or Orks or whatever else they throw at you.

The gameplay itself isn't amazing, but its not bad either. There is an absurd amount of content, but the moment to moment shooting or meleeing through hordes of dudes doesn't seem to change much.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Is there a decent successor to Tiger Woods golf on PC? I have "The Golf Club" but the controls are kind of wonky and it doesn't really have the same career progression modes that Tiger did back in the day, so I ended up uninstalling it. I want to play golf, raise stats, and buy stupid clothes and new clubs for my dumb avatar so I can git gud enough to beat the next opponent. I don't want to sim golf. I can go suck at golf IRL, dammit. I play Tiger Woods to win championships and buy dumb shoes.

BUT if there is a decent VR golf sim I'm interested in that, too. It sounds like "The Golf Club VR" is not great on the Valve Index... and might also be the only option so far. I guess it's only 10 bucks to find out for myself, though, but let me know if you've heard anything.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Props to whoever recommended Horizon Zero Dawn. Hella fun

Is Control any good? Or gimme another not cyberpunk open world rpg.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Control's good but it's a triumph of presentation, the gameplay is just good enough that it doesn't get in the way.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Any recommendations for good detective games?

Obra Dinn was bar none the best detective game I have played and left me with an itch.
Disco Elysium was kind of detectivey too, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Phoenix wright games were also great, the earlier entries better than the later, but still I played 1 through 6.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Control is great.