Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shear Modulus posted:

everything i've read in the business press lately has been that finance and politics people have come around to the idea that now that biden is president global warming will be addressed and that it mostly involves phasing out gasoline cars for electric cars and the transition to a non-carbon-intensive economy will mostly be finished in maybe 10 or 20 years

this is also about what the biden admin has been messaging

Boy they really don't seem to have a handle on reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do they believe in climate change yet or will the solar panels and electric cars save us

Our leaders have seen the true extent of the future problems and swiftly lept into action to ....

Oh, they're trading water futures now. Yeah, we're mega-hosed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Awesome that you can live in two disttinct parts of our brave new country, the one with way too little water and the one with too much water

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Build a funnel and tube to move water from where it is to where it isn't bing bong so simple.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can desalination plants meet our water needs in a few decades or are we all gonna be drafted into fighting a war over water?

Or, knowing capitalism, yes and yes?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

desal needs huge energy inputs and ruins the coastal water quality with briny discharge

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It also requires a significant amount of freshwater.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

briny discharge

desalination: destroying our oceans with megaliters of cum

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Can desalination plants meet our water needs in a few decades or are we all gonna be drafted into fighting a war over water?

we have an abundance of water for our needs. as for our wants, like growing almonds and pistachios in the desert for export and cooling data centers because it's slightly cheaper than electric air conditioning, probably not

almost forgot watering acres of ornamental grasses

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Real hurthling! posted:

desal needs huge energy inputs and ruins the coastal water quality with briny discharge

The briny discharge might be usable for rare metal production, hopefully.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

we have an abundance of water for our needs. as for our wants, like growing almonds and pistachios in the desert for export and cooling data centers because it's slightly cheaper than electric air conditioning, probably not

almost forgot watering acres of ornamental grasses

The data centers are also in the desert

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Pipe the brine to the north and filter it into the ocean to artificially maintain the thermohaline conveyer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

look on the bright side, climate change has shown that clearly all that stuff that you knew was lovely but couldn't quite prove, like consumerism and capitalism, is definitively bad

If any of you have heard of George Monbiot, he has some great talks on this

My plan now is to spend more time just being outdoors and looking at plants and poo poo, anything that can reduce my exposure to those things

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PNW calibrated forecasts are being updated and

These are cities where most people don't have AC and the last time it got this hot some of our electrical grid infrastructure literally melted

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
im p much square in the middle of that heat bubble and holy poo poo its hot here

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

When the bubble breaks is all this heat gonna mosey on over to the rest of the US?

My A/C is only sort of working right now, and I'm sure this is going to become one of those "I'll call tomorrow"/"You'll call now" moments.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone try putting a big fan on the heat bubble and blowing it back out to sea.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

These are cities where most people don't have AC and the last time it got this hot some of our electrical grid infrastructure literally melted

AC ownership, at least as far as dinky window and portable units go, has shot way up over the last few years. Which given that those have to be way less efficient than central systems I’m going to imagine are going to greatly increase the chance of our grid melting.

Sunday is not gonna be fun

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

window units are surprisingly efficient, especially because they let you cool one room unlike a central system.

the portable units are a mixed bag. the actual refrigeration system is generally very efficient but a lot of them use a single hose to the window and that means they are basically pumping room air outside and have to re-cool the air that leaks in to replace it. dual hose models on the other hand can be almost as efficient as window units (having the compressor and fan motors inside leaks more heat into the living space than having it outside).

as someone who lives in Texas I have to say... gently caress that poo poo it doesn't matter what you are used to 113°F is HOT.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

window units are surprisingly efficient, especially because they let you cool one room unlike a central system.

the portable units are a mixed bag. the actual refrigeration system is generally very efficient but a lot of them use a single hose to the window and that means they are basically pumping room air outside and have to re-cool the air that leaks in to replace it. dual hose models on the other hand can be almost as efficient as window units (having the compressor and fan motors inside leaks more heat into the living space than having it outside).

as someone who lives in Texas I have to say... gently caress that poo poo it doesn't matter what you are used to 113°F is HOT.

the units themselves might be efficient but the installation of them is decidedly not (often just cardboard/duct tape sealing the gaps on either side of the unit)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I want to say during the 2009 heatwave, I was working downtown and one of the transformer stations in the international district actually caught fire and the entire downtown area had a brown out. It may have been like a year later but the timing makes sense.

I am entirely expecting the grid to spectacularly fail.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

They gotta hose down the draw bridges after it gets over a certain temperature. I remember seeing them spraying the Fremont Bridge with water the last time it got this hot.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shifty Pony posted:

Window units are much less efficient compared to a single split indoor + outdoor unit

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I don't think I've ever been anywhere it was 113 and I lived in Florida for 25 years lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

the US's water supply right now is probably enough for our needs if it were rationed like a finite resource but instead rich people and businesses guzzle zillions of gallons on golf courses and horribly wasteful agricultural processes

as you surely are aware we of course can't solve any problems through planning and instead have to use market mechanisms like making water more expensive, but coincidentally the big water users are exempt from the market mechanisms

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I don't think I've ever been anywhere it was 113 and I lived in Florida for 25 years lmao

I saw a forecast that said it'd be 117°F at my house, and nobody I know has air conditioning. The hottest temperatures I've experienced was 108 while out camping south of Bend, OR in 2017.

I'm going camping this weekend up in the mountains and it looks like I'll be beating the heat by about 20 degrees if that forecast turns out to be correct.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

the US's water supply right now is probably enough for our needs if it were rationed like a finite resource but instead rich people and businesses guzzle zillions of gallons on golf courses and horribly wasteful agricultural processes

as you surely are aware we of course can't solve any problems through planning and instead have to use market mechanisms like making water more expensive, but coincidentally the big water users are exempt from the market mechanisms

I still remember a maddening argument in D&D like a decade ago where there's this enormous freshwater aquifer in the middle of the country and an oil spill above it could ruin it all and some oil industry dude was arguing it's totally fine to build more pipelines over it and everyone who opposes it is an idiot who doesn't understand the energy sector.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

2014 california, during the drought

(SF/MF is single/multi family)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

The Oldest Man posted:

I was in Seattle around Jun 2017 and they had a smaller heat wave, it was in the high 80s low 90s. even people who lived in the country were complaining about how hot it was because it was "87 even in the shade", but like if you're not used to it even 85-90 is oppressive. plus if there's any humidity at all it's even worse because you can't get cool or comfortable.

and since old people probably don't live in houses with AC it's going to get real bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You usually have to go to somewhere like Las Vegas

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

breadnsucc posted:

when i was growing up around here no one even cared about AC, now most people have it, its crazy town

Every year for the last 15 or so years the PNW sells out of fans quickly and every time I joke about next year buying a bunch and slanging them on craigslist or whatever. gently caress it buy little hand held ones and sell them on the street cheap.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

air temp or heat index? I'm sure with its humidity Florida has had a 113 heat index at some point

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

actionjackson posted:

air temp or heat index? I'm sure with its humidity Florida has had a 113 heat index at some point

Just air temp. Some places inland get in the high 100s but never over 110 that I can remember. And it's not like the PNW is a bone dry place either

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Heat index is bullshit

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

2014 california, during the drought

(SF/MF is single/multi family)

How much of that agriculture is for almonds and wine grapes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FlamingLiberal posted:

You usually have to go to somewhere like Las Vegas

Yeah all the water that Florida has going on limits the absolute temperature. The highest it’s hit is one hundred and nine in the panhandle.

The state with the lowest high temperature record isn’t Alaska. It’s Hawai‘i. Never been warmer than ninety‐eight degrees.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just air temp. Some places inland get in the high 100s but never over 110 that I can remember. And it's not like the PNW is a bone dry place either

I looked up a dew point chart, 104 air temp + 70 dew point is 113 heat index, and I would imagine a 70+ dew point is not an issue for Florida

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

actionjackson posted:

I looked up a dew point chart, 104 air temp + 70 dew point is 113 heat index, and I would imagine a 70+ dew point is not an issue for Florida

Surprisingly 113 is a bit above the heat index that places in Florida pull off. Here's heat index climatology for Miami:

(https://bmcnoldy.rsmas.miami.edu/mia/)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

found the twin cities record, I remember this (sort of). I definitely remember the 81 dewpoint in 2005.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2011/07/19/crazy-record-highest-dew-point-ever-at-msp-airport-82

119 heat index lol

at the same time, the state dewpoint record of 88 (wtf) occurred in northern Minnesota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Look at Yuma, AZ or El Centro, CA.