Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
VODAPHONE SAYS NO!

Edit: 84. There is a town in the US called Eighty Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1408129640858853377?s=19

gan on Twisto.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The problems what now?

EXCLUSIVE: Batley and Spen residents won’t vote Labour because of the ‘Zionist lobby’ and ‘lesbianism’

quote:

Residents in Batley and Spen have told the JC “lesbianism” and the “Zionist lobby” are reasons why they will abandon Labour at the constituency’s upcoming by-election.

One voter also criticised the Labour candidate Kim Leadbeater because she “spoke against Palestine”, adding that her sister, the murdered Batley and Spen MP Jo Cox, had spoken “favourably of Muslims and Palestine” but “they gave an English a pistol to kill her”.

Over two days the JC spoke to residents across the West Yorkshire constituency, covering areas including Hyrstand Road, Albion Street, Market Place and Oak View.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wow, how many residents did the Jewish Chronicle reporter have to speak to before they gave up and went to find a Starbucks to make up the quotes?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lmao, just the JC reporting that Labour's problem is not opposing Israel enough, nothing to see here

maybe a bit of thinly veiled islamophobia

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
https://twitter.com/marcusbarnett_/status/1408035897136844806

I see they've updated the image captions on that "article".

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that insidious island in the agean sea pulling the strings again i see

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

If I wanted to visit a place in the Thames Estuary which has no human habitation and is beyond the reach of UK law, Canvey is right there.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If I wanted to visit a place in the Thames Estuary which has no human habitation and is beyond the reach of UK law, Canvey is right there.

Hey. *Hey*. Where do you think my static caravan is, Pitsea?

e: Was it Victoria Wood who said " only the British could envision a mode of transport that stop on your drive"

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 24, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This is a scathing and well sourced retrospective. It's hard reading because it drags up a lot of grubby acts I had forgotten throughout 2016-2019 but it draws the right conclusions, even if they're ones that will have no impact at all on the perpetrators of those acts:

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/06/liberals-boris-johnson-thatcherism-hard-brexit-corbyn-labour

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
my cool new column where i declare all muslims racist because they are generalising jewish people as anti muslim

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1408115331642560516

If we offer a serious and pragmatic policy the tories might be mean to us :saddowns:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

If we offer a serious and pragmatic policy the tories might be mean to us :saddowns:

*Tories introduce the same policy 6 months later, implemented via shady contracts disbursed through layers of Crapita's and Serco's, so that every applicant gets one crutch regardless of their disability. Tories gain 10 points*

Ah well, nevertheless

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aw man, not Thangam. I remember her seeming great around the election. :smith:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
can we troll labour into changing the party's name and have done with it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nah she's been shite for a long while and might end up losing her seat to the Greens. She's just got a fun name to sing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you know some of them would love to call it the british democrats

i can hear keith saying it uururhghghghghhruugugh!!! brutush dumucruts uururrhghghghghh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Never forget she tried to report someone telling her to "Get in the sea" as a death threat.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Can we hurry up with Irish reunification please?

I want to swap the insane politicians/politics in the UK & NI for the bog standard corrupt ones down south and invest in companies making dodgy building blocks. :pray:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm going to mix things up by running for county down TD in united ireland as a member of albalaba

he nivur tuched they wimin

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

can we troll labour into changing the party's name and have done with it
They need something that shows their new direction, to get away from Corbyn's legacy; but also show their respect for the union. Something that shows they are serious about Change, and the UK. It'll come to me soon.

Maybe I need a meeting of minds to come up with ideas, what's a good restaurant to go to?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the _ party

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

She was a teller during a lot of the Brexit votes so it’s Bercow howling out her name you remember with fondness.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If anyone is interested in my little ground-hopping mission:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1408158317214670850

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thangam Debonnaire was the mp who called the police after someone tweeted "get in the sea" at her

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

She was a teller during a lot of the Brexit votes so it’s Bercow howling out her name you remember with fondness.

I'm sure she and Bambos Charalambous volunteered for the duty just to hear him shouting out their names.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe I need a meeting of minds to come up with ideas, what's a good restaurant to go to?

Granita?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They need something that shows their new direction, to get away from Corbyn's legacy; but also show their respect for the union. Something that shows they are serious about Change, and the UK. It'll come to me soon.

Wimpy

(surprised to discover this still exists actually!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was planning to travel to one last year but then last year happened.

StarkingBarfish posted:

jacobinmag.com
That reminds me, Jacobin is doing a series of articles to mark the 80th anniversary of Operation Barbarossa by focusing on Nazi atrocities in the East, based in part around testimonies from sovietsurvivors.com (which sounds like it ought to be some weirdo Ayn Rand anticommunist site but isn't).

There's a lot of terrible things in there, but among them is the amount of Nazi rhetoric there that's immediately recognizable in unchanged form in the modern alt-right.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wimpy

(surprised to discover this still exists actually!)
I half remember hearing that the branding was bought out and relaunched by another company, but there's one left in (london?) which is uses the original branding and was created by the original company. Might have misremembered this though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i liked dunkin donuts when i was a fat child

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://wimpy.uk.com/menus/anytime-meals/rotherham

Oh dear.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Theres a stitch up going on with the next round of self employment covid grants.

Had a missed call and voicemail from an unknown number. They said they were from HMRC but did not leave contact details. Missed the same call again a few hours later. Get home in the evening to find a letter had arrived that day from them saying they will be ringing from an unknown number to invite weird dropbox emails to apply for the next grant. You can't contact them and they will only call "up to 3 times" then youre buggered. I work in an often loud environment, I'm sure thats not unusual and can't have my phone on me at all times so basically hosed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I half remember hearing that the branding was bought out and relaunched by another company, but there's one left in (london?) which is uses the original branding and was created by the original company. Might have misremembered this though.

My sister left the Wimpy in Oxford Street, London just 20 minutes before it blew up in 1981.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 24, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres a stitch up going on with the next round of self employment covid grants.

Had a missed call and voicemail from an unknown number. They said they were from HMRC but did not leave contact details. Missed the same call again a few hours later. Get home in the evening to find a letter had arrived that day from them saying they will be ringing from an unknown number to invite weird dropbox emails to apply for the next grant. You can't contact them and they will only call "up to 3 times" then youre buggered. I work in an often loud environment, I'm sure thats not unusual and can't have my phone on me at all times so basically hosed.

According to this link, they'll write to you again:

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/seiss-claim-fourth-fifth-grants/

quote:

HMRC has also confirmed to Sage that it will try three times to call you. If you don’t answer, it will write to you a second time and ask if you want to proceed with the SEISS eligibility checks.

It adds that claimants will have until the end of the application window for the fourth grant to provide the details discussed above.

So, even if you miss the calls, you should still be able to establish your eligibility.

Article also mentions that the HMRC will be asking for info over the phone that scammers often do. Seems like a really stupid system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

To be fair to Van Riper America has yet to win a war against unconventional forces. Their only victories were a bunch of small invasions and defeating Saddam Hussein for a bullshit "War on Terror" only to cause global terrorism to exponentially rise. If anything he kinda proved how America comes in flopping its dick only to get owned by a bunch of poo poo it hadn't planned for, whether it's Chinese reinforcements in Korea, the concept of trees in Vietnam or that training a bunch of fundamentalist religious fighters to kill their perceived invaders might one day have your own country seen as the invader.

Has anybody really "won" a war against irregulars in recent history?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My sister left the Wimpy in Oxford Street, London just 20 minutes before it blew up in 1981.

Why did your sister blow up a Wimpy?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Has anybody really "won" a war against irregulars in recent history?

Depends on your definition of "win" and "irregular" of course. Assuming you mean an occupying force versus a widespread insurgency, not so much. Arguably the Soviets versus Hungary and Czechoslovakia, although there wasn't really much in the way of actual military resistance there. End of the Chinese Civil War maybe? The remnants of the Kuomintang were definitely an irregular force by that point, but then the tattered remains of a defeated army is a very different beast to an actual insurgency.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ISIS got pretty much crushed in Syria and Iraq too, but again arguably tattered remains of a defeated army.

Then again were the KMT defeated or did they just regroup on loser island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

loser island?

didn't know the forums were catering to the PRC market.